Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5960616263646566676869...LastNext
Current Page: 64 of 138
Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album due out soon!
Date: September 6, 2023 18:00

Topi
Seems like those registered song titles were real.

At least they didn't call every track Angry!

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:01

Watch out, here we go !

Angry is The Rolling Stones’ best single in 40 years
5/5
The first taste of the Stones' long-awaited album Hackney Diamonds is an absolute blast

[www.telegraph.co.uk].

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:04

That video is @#$%& BRILLIANT.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:05

Hackney Diamonds Litho:

[TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk] , [Platenzaak.nl] - More: [Platenzaak.nl] .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 18:15 by Irix.

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:06

Hopiman
gotdablouse

Am I the only one to be embarrassed by the video ? Did they really need that girl to "pole dance" on the car, almost B&B poster style ?! It's too bad because seeing the animated pictures from the past was pretty cool.

you're not the only one!
The animated Stones are cool, but that girl...
Isn't it cheap somehow?
I can't help but think: what would Charlie have said to this?

I feel the same. Loved the billboards. But the woman? Just used as an object, not given the opportunity to show her talent as an actor. Has to do pole dance on yet another vintage car (Ride 'Em On Down?). But: Younger people will watch because they now her from movies they like AND some 65+ culture warriors can be aroused plus think the Rolling Stones are on "their side". But we don't need to do a sociological contextualisation winking smiley
Bring on the album! Glad that Keith is more upfront than on B&L. Plus, the sound of the production (other than the doubled and tripled lead vox in the chorus) works really well for me!

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:08

I'm still taking the pills
And I'm off to Brazil

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:08

12th track: "Rolling Stone Blues" could be a cover of the Muddy Waters song ...

Date: September 6, 2023 18:11

z
And I'm off to Brazil

Piss smiling smiley

Re: Hackney Diamonds - New Rolling Stones album out October 20
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()

‘We were lazy!’ The Rolling Stones unveil new original album Hackney Diamonds after 18-year wait

Ben Beaumont-Thomas
Wed 6 Sep 2023

David Fisher/Shutterstock

At Hackney press conference, surviving trio of Stones pay tribute to late drummer Charlie Watts as they announce album and release new single Angry

The Rolling Stones have announced details of their first album of new songs in nearly two decades, entitled Hackney Diamonds.

Featuring a constellation of guest stars including Lady Gaga, Stevie Wonder and former Stones bassist Bill Wyman, it also contains the final recordings with the band by late drummer Charlie Watts, who appears on two tracks.

Hackney Diamonds – east London slang referring to broken window glass outside a robbery – has the still-thrilling sight of “Jagger-Richards” mentioned throughout the songwriting credits. It’s the first time Mick Jagger and Keith Richards have written an album of new music since A Bigger Bang in 2005, and the first studio album of any kind since 2016’s collection of blues covers, Blue & Lonesome.

Chipping in as co-writer on three songs is the album’s producer Andrew Watt, known for helming an array of recent hit albums by artists as varied as Elton John, Justin Bieber, Iggy Pop, Post Malone and Miley Cyrus.

The first single and opening track, Angry, has been released alongside the album announcement: powered by a classic Stones riff and strutting rhythm, Jagger is in uproarious form as he mopes about a lovers’ tiff. “It hasn’t rained in a month, the river’s run dry / we haven’t made love and I wanna know why,” the 80-year-old singer complains, eventually going off in a huff in the coda: “I’m still taking the pills / and I’m off to Brazil.”

Reviews of the album are currently embargoed ahead of its 20 October release date – and further A-list guests are to be announced – but the Guardian was given an early listen. The energy is often high, with one blisteringly paced rock’n’roll song joined by plenty of others with that typical high-tempo Stones strut, including one with a disco bassline. There are also pared-back blues numbers, bucolic country-rockers and lighters-aloft pop-rock ballads.

Having teased their appearance with an advert in local newspaper the Hackney Gazette, Jagger, Richards and Ronnie Wood announced the album in a press conference at the Hackney Empire theatre, east London, in conversation with US talkshow host – and frequent Jagger impersonator – Jimmy Fallon. “I don’t want to be big headed,” Jagger said, surrounded by smashed chandeliers and a glitter strewn tongue logo cut into shards, “but we wouldn’t have put this record out if we hadn’t really liked it.”

It was a poignant sight without Watts, who died aged 80 in August 2021 having played with the group since just after their inception, joining in 1963. Steve Jordan now plays drums with the group, appearing on their 60th anniversary tour in 2022 and on nine of Hackney Diamonds’ songs.

“Ever since Charlie’s gone it’s different – he’s number four, he’s missing,” Richards, now 79, said. “Of course he’s missed, incredibly. But thanks to Charlie Watts we have Steve Jordan – his recommendation, that if anything should happen to him, he’s your man.”

The cause of Watts’ death was not announced but last year Richards implied he had died of cancer, saying: “I think he’d been trying to keep it under the wraps for a while last year, so [his death] came as quite a shock. He had had a round with cancer a year or two before. And he beat that one. He just got hit with a double-whammy, bless his soul.”

The trio were in great comic form on stage though, Jagger sprightly in a black brocade bomber jacket as he jumped up from his chair to introduce the record. “We were maybe a bit too lazy,” he said of the 18-year wait. “Suddenly we said, let’s put a deadline … We did it pretty quick. There were a lot of ideas floating about and we gathered them together just before Christmas.” By Valentine’s Day the album was recorded and mixed, Watt having “kicked us up the arse”, according to Jagger.

There were flashes of classic Stones lasciviousness, the 76-year-old Wood saying of playing with Van Morrison and others in between tours: “You’ve got to keep your fingers moving when you get to our age – keep everything moving.” When asked if he ever married someone who came to a Stones gig, Richards replied: “I could marry them all, maaaan!”

Richards sings one of the album’s 12 songs, Tell Me Straight, telling the audience to rounds of laughter: “I can tell you straight that I have no idea what’s it’s about. Mick tried to steal it so you know it’s good.”

Sydney Sweeney, the US actor best known for roles in The White Lotus and Euphoria, appears in the Angry video and was in the Hackney Empire’s front row. “I freaked out, called my family and brought my mum,” she said of getting the call to appear. “This is the biggest thing ever.”

With throngs of onlookers outside and swathes of international media inside, it was a grander occasion than the first ever Stones press conference, Jagger said. “Keith and I were in a pub in Denmark Street [in central London], and there were two journalists from NME and Melody Maker. We bought them a pint of beer and said: here’s our album.”

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: ohotos ()

MonkeyMan2000
Hopiman
gotdablouse

Am I the only one to be embarrassed by the video ? Did they really need that girl to "pole dance" on the car, almost B&B poster style ?! It's too bad because seeing the animated pictures from the past was pretty cool.

you're not the only one!
The animated Stones are cool, but that girl...
Isn't it cheap somehow?
I can't help but think: what would Charlie have said to this?

I feel the same. Loved the billboards. But the woman? Just used as an object, not given the opportunity to show her talent as an actor. Has to do pole dance on yet another vintage car (Ride 'Em On Down?). But: Younger people will watch because they now her from movies they like AND some 65+ culture warriors can be aroused plus think the Rolling Stones are on "their side". But we don't need to do a sociological contextualisation winking smiley
Bring on the album! Glad that Keith is more upfront than on B&L. Plus, the sound of the production (other than the doubled and tripled lead vox in the chorus) works really well for me!

I just posted almost the same thoughts on the other thread. I thought the vintage car / hot girl thing was familiar and then I remembered Ride 'Em On Down and rewatched it. The moving billboard thing at least is creative but other than that the video is just lazy.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:12

I was anxious. Didn’t really dig that 15 sec snippet.

LOVE ANGRY. It builds and builds…but does anyone think maybe, just maybe, it’s Andrew Watt (is that the producers name?) playing that solo at the end, the final minute or so? It sounds a little “fluid” for Keith from hearing his playing on stage in recent years. I’d be super happy to be wrong, and I DO LOVE THE SONG.

Rod

Posted by: Matt1984 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:14

Carnaby Store exclusives don’t usually last long so be quick if you’d like this one.

[rsno9.co.uk]

Date: September 6, 2023 18:18

Matt1984
Carnaby Store exclusives don’t usually last long so be quick if you’d like this one.

[rsno9.co.uk]

Was just about to post that! My order is in.

Rod

Posted by: z ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:19

DandelionPowderman
z
And I'm off to Brazil

Piss smiling smiley

I thought so too but the lyrics on Apple music say 'pills'

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:20

According to the merchandise, the new logo is called "Diamond Tongue" :

[TheRollingStonesShop.co.uk] , [www.Bravado.de]

Posted by: Fitzcaraldo ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:22

That girl is amazing and so is "Angry"!

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:23

What I catched from the stream:

- They recorded the album in three months (started before Christmas 2022 and finished before Valentines day 2023) except for two songs recorded in 2019

- Steve is on ten tracks, Charlie on two

- There's one track played in the "original" (1975-1989) Stones line-up (+ Charlie and Bill)

- Lady Gaga is on one track

- Andrew Watt seems to be the producer of the whole record (+ Don Was on the 2019 tracks probably)

No words on Paul McCartney or upcoming live shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 18:23 by StonedRambler.

Date: September 6, 2023 18:25

That bass playing of Keith Richards on angry is really tasty!

Underrated bass player.

Posted by: Bluesstone ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:25

Really interesting that they basically Started from scratch!

Posted by: angee ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:26

So far, I really really like the art work, tongue and hearts...

I'm hoping the song grows on me over time. Hairball, I agree with this: better than DS, not as good as GT.
Video--I enjoy the versions of the band on the billboards. Same director as Ride Em On Down, hmm.

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 18:37 by angee.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:29

sarahunwin
Very disappointed in the video. I absolutely don’t understand why they feel they had to show themselves so young and couldn’t be in the present moment I think it would’ve been so much better if they had allowed their old selves to perform. What does everybody else think?
Totally agree.....They are old admit it and go on..Maybe some teenagers on Tick Tock will think is a new band.......sad smiley

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:31

Matt1984

[rsno9.co.uk]

Bloody hell. Let the fleecing begin. First copy purchased!

Date: September 6, 2023 18:32

StonedRambler

Underrated bass player.

How do you know that??

Rod

Date: September 6, 2023 18:34

Credits for "Angry":

Producer, Associated Performer, Background Vocalist, Percussion: Andrew Watt
Studio Personnel, Mixer: Serban Ghenea
Associated Performer, Piano: Matt Clifford
Associated Performer, Background Vocalist, Guitar: Ronnie Wood
Associated Performer, Drums: Steve Jordan
Associated Performer, Background Vocalist, Bass, Guitar: Keith Richards
Associated Performer, Background Vocalist, Guitar, Percussion, Vocals: Mick Jagger
Studio Personnel, Asst. Recording Engineer: Joe Doughtery
Studio Personnel, Asst. Recording Engineer: Kelsey Porter
Studio Personnel, Asst. Recording Engineer: Tommy Turner
Studio Personnel, Asst. Recording Engineer: Joe Dougherty
Studio Personnel, Recording Engineer: Paul LaMalfa
Studio Personnel, Recording Engineer: Marco Sonzini
Studio Personnel, Additional Engineer: Bryce Bordone
Studio Personnel, Mastering Engineer: Matt Colton
Composer Lyricist: Andrew Watt
Composer Lyricist: Keith Richards
Composer Lyricist: Mick Jagger

No Chuck, Darryl, Bernard or Don Was involved. Andrew Watt on Backing Vocals and Percussion. Mixed by Serban Ghenea (the world most desired and most expensive mixing engineer, mixing a large part of the major label pop music today)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 18:37 by StonedRambler.

Date: September 6, 2023 18:35

bitusa2012
StonedRambler

Underrated bass player.

How do you know that??

By looking at the credits (posted it one post above)

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:36

Hairball
Song was decent pop rock - better than Don't Stop for sure, but not as good as Living in a Ghost Town. Video was good, but usually I don't watch videos, though this one I might a couple more times. Excited to hear the rest of the album - especially the track with Bill and Charlie, and also the Keith trsck.

What about Macca?

Posted by: MonkeyMan2000 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:37

StonedRambler
bitusa2012
StonedRambler

Underrated bass player.

How do you know that??

By looking at the credits (posted it one post above)

Very cool! Thought the bass is the edgiest part of the tune. Especially as it comes in each verse.

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: September 6, 2023 18:38

I quite enjoyed the event even though Fallon inserted himself in the mix too much in my view. I thought the boys were funny and charming and the interplay was good between Mick and Keith.

I do note that it is very interesting that there was no mention of playing live whatsoever, including no "see you soon" which is what we often get. And obviously Fallon was told not to ask about any live shows or you have to figure he would have.

Finally, also no hint of what "a new era" means, if it means anything other than a new album.

Time will reveal all.

Date: September 6, 2023 18:39

I really dig the song. Didn't like the original snippet, but the song IS great! And I dig the video too. I don't have a problem with the girl dancing around. It's hip, it's sexy - it's the friggin' Rolling Stones for crying outloud!!! I am gonna go sooooooooooooooo broke buying all this stuff! LOL I loooooooooooove that purple record, but also the translucent blue.

Date: September 6, 2023 18:41

My takeaways from the PC is that there are indeed 2 albums. I think they're at a minimum going to do an expanded version before a tour announcement next year, or drop a second album all together. Way too many guests in the studio to not release more new music down the road.

Will be damn interesting to see them go Toe to Toe with Taylor Swift and see who comes out on top.

Who saw Gaga coming?? I don't recall her ever being rumored to be on the album!!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5960616263646566676869...LastNext
Current Page: 64 of 138

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home