Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

QQ: Gram Mick Keith Anita @Stonehenge 1968 - date?
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 21, 2023 13:32

hi there, can't seem to find an actual date Mick, Keith, Anita, and Gram Parsons (+Michael Cooper) went to Stonehenge. Seeing reference to July 1968 (improbable), August 1968, and May 1968.

Anyone know?

gramparsons.com appears to have been hacked; however, a snippet displayed in Google Search results would suggest May 1968. The Byrds were kicking off a short European tour in early May 1968, so that's possible.

thanks
-swiss

Re: QQ: Gram Mick Keith Anita @Stonehenge 1968 - date?
Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: August 21, 2023 13:45

The Byrds were in England again on July 7th, 1968 for a show at the Royal Albert Hall.
I think it was then, when Gram met the Stones and declined to do shows with the Byrds in Southafrica; but I'm not sure.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 21, 2023 18:44

I just found this: The Byrds played a gig in London at the Roundhouse followed the next night by the Royal Albert Hall. After the latter gig, Rolling Stones' Mick Jagger and Keith Richards took McGuinn, Parsons and Hillman to Stonehenge

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: August 21, 2023 19:32

The Byrds played at the Rondhouse ( some say it was the Middle Earth ) at the beginning of May, and the Royal Albert Hall at the beginning of July!

[www.timeisonourside.com]

[byrdsflyght.ucoz.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-21 19:36 by Rank Stranger.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 21, 2023 20:51

The plot thickens…

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 22, 2023 09:02

The Byrds performed the 11th of May 1968 at Middle Earth in London, Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithfull came in to witness the gig. Stonehenge was probably visited in May, I think…

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 22, 2023 09:59

Thank you so much, everyone! I think we have a winner.

runaway
The Byrds performed the 11th of May 1968 at Middle Earth in London, Mick Jagger and Marianne Faithfull came in to witness the gig. Stonehenge was probably visited in May, I think…

I seem to recall 2 different stories, but I don't have any actual references at hand--one is just as runaway says above, that at least Mick and Marianne (if not other Stones et al.) went to see the Byrds and something like MJ and Marianne invited a couple of the Byrds over to their place and an enjoyable time was had by all; the other story is Keith's saying that he and Mick met Gram at the same time but Gram and Mick never hit it off, while KR and Gram were love at first sight.

The reason I'm wondering has to do with Keith starting to write and record those very country-infused deep-South bluesy songs that would end up on Beggars Banquet. Just curious about the timing of that inspiration and meeting Gram.

thanks again
-swiss

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-22 10:00 by swiss.

Posted by: Mariuana ()
Date: August 23, 2023 11:29

Mick and Marianne went to USA in early July for Beggars Banquet sessions and stayed there for the rest of the month so I guess July can be excluded. As for Mick and Parsons "never hit it off",did not Mick say in one of his interviews that Gram was one of few people who really taught him to sing country music? That takes some great connection and does not sound like they never hit off.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 23, 2023 13:23

Are there also pics of the others there?

Date: August 23, 2023 13:37

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 23, 2023 14:07

The pictures suggest cold weather.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 23, 2023 15:22

Not an exact science, but Mick's hair length in Stonehenge photos suggests circa May 1968 is most likely.

Mick and Jimmy Miller were photographed in Heathrow on their way to USA to complete Beggars Banquet on 4th July 1968.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1823
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home