Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7
Re: OT: What was your First Concert?
Posted by: StonedInGva ()
Date: January 27, 2024 23:48

The Kinks in 1964 or 1965 in a small town in Switzerland, Neuchâtel. With longish hair and a barrage of electricity and energy, they seemed to come from a different planet. I cannot remember if we had already heard of Swinging London, but we knew something was happening there.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 27, 2024 23:52

StonedInGva
The Kinks in 1964 or 1965 in a small town in Switzerland, Neuchâtel. With longish hair and a barrage of electricity and energy, they seemed to come from a different planet. I cannot remember if we had already heard of Swinging London, but we knew something was happening there.

Tough to top that one! Wow!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-27 23:53 by NashvilleBlues.

Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: January 28, 2024 00:51

The Association. January 1970. Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA.

Great show. Never My Love, Cherish, Along Comes Mary, Windy, etc.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: January 28, 2024 01:23

Nat King Cole at The Palmer House Pump Room in 1958

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 28, 2024 15:41

The Rolling Stones 11/10/81 Hartford CT was my first concert. I had just turned 17 and was hooked on rock n roll for life!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 30, 2024 23:17

roryg

That is incredibly cool and if there was a prize, I think you may just have won!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 31, 2024 00:30

1974 - The Righteous Brothers w/ The Hues Corporation as their opening act at The Front Row Theater in Highland Heights, Ohio.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: January 31, 2024 02:15

Eric Clapton & His Band, Koseinenkin Kaikan, Osaka, November 6, 1974

The final date of his first ever Japan tour, which counts up to 23 rounds with April 2023, his latest, and 222 shows in total. To this day, I have attended all but one of his Osaka shows, 42 out of 43, among other locations across seven countries, although he stopped playing regional shows after 2014 (he played Tokyo’s Budokan exclusively for the last three tours).

What impressed me most from my first authentic rock concert experience, sitting at the 2,400 seater, was how loud and ear-shattering the sound was. I was a naive high schooler then.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: January 31, 2024 03:42

The Scorpions with Bon Jovi opening

Re: Semi OT: What was your First Concert?
Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: January 31, 2024 04:52

NashvilleBlues
Pearl Jam. Murfreesboro, TN, March 26, 1994. The only time they played Dock of the Bay (w/ Cropper). I was in the pit fighting for my life. Insane environment.

Setlist: [www.setlist.fm]

Video: [m.youtube.com]

Damn Nashville, one of my favorite shows. Mine was Boston Garden 1994 (1st PJ show) should have been lollapalooza 92 but I missed my ride due to a girl I was trying to get with.

Posted by: 2004Man ()
Date: February 1, 2024 00:56

The Lords 1965 Wülfrath,
Beach Boys 1966 Essen Grugahalle
Rolling Stones 1970 Frankfurt

Date: February 1, 2024 02:00

Mr. Jimi
NashvilleBlues
Pearl Jam. Murfreesboro, TN, March 26, 1994. The only time they played Dock of the Bay (w/ Cropper). I was in the pit fighting for my life. Insane environment.

Setlist: [www.setlist.fm]

Video: [m.youtube.com]

Damn Nashville, one of my favorite shows. Mine was Boston Garden 1994 (1st PJ show) should have been lollapalooza 92 but I missed my ride due to a girl I was trying to get with.

It’s hard to put into perspective since it was my first ever show, but it’s probably still the best show I’ve ever seen. King’s X opened and was fantastic. Sorry you missed them at Lollapalooza. Bet that Boston PJ show was elite too.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 3, 2024 13:32

Some popular Belgian bands/artists at free festivals from the mid 80s to the early 90s: Soulsister, Axelle Red, Raymond van het Groenewoud, Johan Verminnen,…

My first real, paid, concert none other than The Rolling Stones; june 1995 at Werchter. Tragically Hip was the support act.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 3, 2024 20:03

I had to think about this: The Doors at Darby Park in the Morningside area of Inglewood, California, early 1967 (not far from where The Forum was being built). The self titled first album was released. It was before I had a driver's license, so I walked to the venue (maybe rode my bike). I was aware of and wanted to hear LMF. The band set up in the gym, played 30 minutes then broke it down to go to another gig. They were grinding around LA promoting their release. Not that many people were there. I was no more than 10 feet from the mic. Extraordinary to think of now. For many years I had forgotten about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-03 20:06 by pmk251.

Posted by: BlueLands ()
Date: February 5, 2024 03:28

Does Liberace count? September 1984. Toronto. O'Keefe Centre. But, if not, then it was the Stones, Toronto Skydome, 1989. I only knew a couple of songs. I'd never heard Brown Sugar or Gimme Shelter or Jumpin' Jack Flash before. Wow! That concert changed my life forever. LOL

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: February 5, 2024 05:06

BlueLands
Does Liberace count? September 1984. Toronto. O'Keefe Centre. But, if not, then it was the Stones, Toronto Skydome, 1989. I only knew a couple of songs. I'd never heard Brown Sugar or Gimme Shelter or Jumpin' Jack Flash before. Wow! That concert changed my life forever. LOL

I was at that concert too (the Stones at Skydome, not Liberace).

My first concert was Ozzy Osbourne (Diary of a Madman tour) at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1982. Memorable not so much for the music but for the mickey of rum a friend and I drank before the concert. My first mickey of rum...Where are you today, Peter? I'd like to ask you how we got that rum since we were too young to purchase it ourselves. Can't seem to remember...

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: February 7, 2024 20:03

treaclefingers
roryg

That is incredibly cool and if there was a prize, I think you may just have won!

I digress, but cannot resist: The late and legendary LA Dodger broadcaster Vin Scully told this story about NKC: Nat was a big Dodger fan and when the Dodgers played the Chicago White Sox in game 1 of the 1959 World Series Nat sang the Star Spangled Banner but he did not know the words. They were written down on a piece of paper, but on a blustery Chicago day the paper blew out of his hand. What ensued was what Vin called the strangest and most beautiful rendition of the song you ever heard. That night Nat had a gig at a club and Vin attended. Nat could not sing at all. He lost his voice at the ball game. The score of Game 1 of the '59 World Series? The White Sox won 11-0. As Vin said, you have to be a pretty big Dodger fan to lose your voice in a game they lost 11-0.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: February 9, 2024 06:00

Stiff Little Fingers. Belfast, Ulster Hall. Not sure of the year. 1981 or 1983?

Date: February 9, 2024 14:46

Donnebr
Stiff Little Fingers. Belfast, Ulster Hall. Not sure of the year. 1981 or 1983?

Nice!!! Suspect Device is one of my favorite songs. So much energy. How was it?

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: February 9, 2024 17:35

Bee Gees - Providence 1979

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 9, 2024 19:19

pmk251
I had to think about this: The Doors at Darby Park in the Morningside area of Inglewood, California, early 1967 (not far from where The Forum was being built). The self titled first album was released. It was before I had a driver's license, so I walked to the venue (maybe rode my bike). I was aware of and wanted to hear LMF. The band set up in the gym, played 30 minutes then broke it down to go to another gig. They were grinding around LA promoting their release. Not that many people were there. I was no more than 10 feet from the mic. Extraordinary to think of now. For many years I had forgotten about it.

Very cool.

Posted by: esqcjh ()
Date: February 9, 2024 19:57

My first concert was the Beach Boys and Eagles at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City NJ--I couldn't remember if it was '73 or '74 so I did some internet sleuthing. After finding this account by a contributor by the name of GaryBoyce16 I had to share it: (I do remember people walking on the beams/steel girders !)

Brought my girlfriend in 74 for Beach Boys/Eagles and was lucky to get out alive. We were late so we ended up parking way out and when we got in all that we can remember is the insanity of the crowd and hardly anything from the show. There were people walking overhead on the beams and my girlfriend came out of the womens room horrified at sight of girls taking dumps and peeing in the sinks anywhere they could relieve themselves. But the real fun began when we went out after the show and couldnt see my car! I know it was there-right over there! well it was but we couldnt see it because it had all tires removed-Crager Mags- the convertible roof was slit and open- tape deck gone. It was a beautiful 69 Camaro so why the hell not just take it all? We ran to the police that were a waste and basically said well whatever you do you better get out of town soon because its gonna be real bad here. I felt the police were either in on it or watched but surely didnt give a **** as the entire lot was a disastrous mess of broken glass -windows etc... a pure hellhole. We got ourselves together and somehow made it to the diner that was right there walking down dangerous streets- how we got there only God knows. I called my Dad for a pick up- we were hour plus away living in Rockland county- CLICK! So my girlfriend called her Mom and she did come and arrived about 2 AM- We got home close to 4..We had been there since about 6PM night before. All we can remember is the absolute fear of being turned away and laughed at by cops and then basically running for our life to get to that diner and sitting on the steps waiting for what seemed forever. Like I said neither can remember the show but we sat in the stands and the field and stands mobbed to the max- like a bomb waiting to go off. So little did we now what disaster awaited. The sad thing is my Dad knew the area and warned us it was a ****hole and why are you going there? Therefore the CLICK of disgust when I called. Thankfully my girlfriend Mom had a heart. Well not long after we broke up. But in 1981 we did get back and now have been married for 35 years. We always think back to the horror of that night and now after reading so much about that stadium and city in those early 70`s it is actually amazing we lived to tell our story. I am sure there are worse horror stories and many that never had a chance to get told. But this is mine from Roosevelt Stadium.

Date: February 9, 2024 20:50

My first concert was Pat Benatar and Saga at Cobo Arena in Detroit, in 1982, for her "Get Nervous: tour.

My first Stones show was Alpine Valley in East Troy, Wisconsin, in 1989, for their Steel Wheels tour.

Date: February 9, 2024 20:59

DGA35
Van Halen June 2, 1981 Pacific Coliseum Vancouver. A little over a week before they filmed their videos from Oakland Coliseum for Unchained, So This Is Love and Hear About It Later. If you watch the Youtube vids, that's basically what I saw!
Of all the times I've seen VH, 81,82,84,86,91,95,07,12, that was the best.
First Stones was Steel Wheels at BC Place in Vancouver November 1, 2 1989.

That Van Halen show you saw must have been lit! In my view they were at the height of their powers when that Unchained video came out.

And it's interesting that you and I both saw the Stones for the first time on the Steel Wheels tour!

Cheers to you

Posted by: ChrisL ()
Date: February 9, 2024 21:26

FredMichmershuizen
DGA35
Van Halen June 2, 1981 Pacific Coliseum Vancouver. A little over a week before they filmed their videos from Oakland Coliseum for Unchained, So This Is Love and Hear About It Later. If you watch the Youtube vids, that's basically what I saw!

That Van Halen show you saw must have been lit! In my view they were at the height of their powers when that Unchained video came out.

And it's interesting that you and I both saw the Stones for the first time on the Steel Wheels tour!

Cheers to you

My first Stones show was also Steel Wheels tour, Oct. 18, 1989, at the L.A. Coliseum.
I think my first concert was Kiss in 1978 in Providence (tagging along with my older brothers and cousins).

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 9, 2024 22:59

FredMichmershuizen
DGA35

Cheers to you

That was the first Stones show in Vancouver since they opened the North American tour in 72! They did play Seattle 81 but I couldn't go. Now looking forward to Stones in July!

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: February 10, 2024 02:20

Beatles at Shea 1965 and 1966.

Posted by: oxegen ()
Date: February 17, 2024 12:44

Fleetwood Mac (with Peter, Jeremy and Danny), Savoy Cinema, Cork. February 1970. Followed by Taste, Savoy Cinema, Cork. October 1970.

Posted by: skorpio65 ()
Date: February 19, 2024 11:58

Hello, my first was Torino 1982 Stadio Comunale at age 16.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-19 11:59 by skorpio65.

Goto Page: Previous1234567
Current Page: 7 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1785
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home