Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: OT: Guns N Roses stuff
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 23, 2023 00:12

Dan
So they just slapped a Slash solo on a song that wasn't good enough to make it on a terrible album?

Its what they've done with the last 2 songs and what they'll continue to do because Axl isn't getting into the studio. I don't actually even know why they're bothering to put out new music. I mean, its kinda cool, but also if the effort isn't in it to fully commit, and the fact that no one goes to see legacy bands play new music, it almost feels pointless. I'd say it makes all this touring seem less like a moneygrab, but its not really that either. It feels like a halfhearted attempt to do something new, and even though its nice, I'd kinda rather all in or nothing. This drips and drabs, in the typical cryptic for no reason GNR fashion, makes it all feel pretty meaningless.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: August 23, 2023 00:41

They are back in Vancouver again...... Oct 16th I would say ticketmaster still shows 65% available tickets - the only bonus now is Alice n Chains is the opener at BC place

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 23, 2023 06:16

umakmehrd
They are back in Vancouver again...... Oct 16th I would say ticketmaster still shows 65% available tickets - the only bonus now is Alice n Chains is the opener at BC place

I’m still on the fence about this and it will be a day of the gig decision. AIC are a draw but I saw them support GnR in 2016 and with Guns playing the same set pretty much, it’s like a repeat of the same show. I also saw AIC with Layne and great as they still are it’s just not the same. Axl sounds terrible he can’t make it through any of the tunes without screwing up a few times. Vocally he’s Keefs Sympathy solo on a bad night, but it’s every night every song with Axl. There’s no album out with songs that I want to hear live renditions of. The drummer is a big put off also. He’s pretty bad for a band at that level, even if Axl sounded crap and the band was good I wouldn’t mind, but with the band sounding how they do it’s hard find a reason to go see them. Glad I caught them in 92 despite Izzy being gone.

Date: August 23, 2023 23:26

I saw the same show... in Seattle correct?

Agreed will be a game day decision I'm sure tix will be dirt cheap

Date: August 24, 2023 07:46

umakmehrd

Yes, Seattle on a scorching hot day. Possibly the last year of Axl’s voice. He sounded decent on that run and the footage and audio I heard from the AcDc shows that year sounded good also.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: November 3, 2023 13:09

Yesterdays GNR have debuted a new/unreleased song called "The General",

[www.youtube.com] (starts at 26:45)

Posted by: HardRiffin ()
Date: November 3, 2023 14:06

slewan

Another poor song

Date: November 3, 2023 14:37

HardRiffin
slewan

Another poor song

well, it's surely not their greatest song.
But on the other hand when was the last time the Sones played an original unreleased song in concert?

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 3, 2023 14:38

Slash and Fortus also jammed on some of Waiting On A Friend before Don't Cry.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: November 3, 2023 15:16

slewan
HardRiffin
slewan

Another poor song

well, it's surely not their greatest song.
But on the other hand when was the last time the Sones played an original unreleased song in concert?

If you don't count the 2005 Juilliard press conference and "Oh No, Not You Again", would it have been one of the early shows on the ABB tour?

The ABB tour started in August and the album was released in early September.

[iorr.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-03 15:17 by Topi.

Date: November 3, 2023 16:02

HardRiffin
slewan

Another poor song

As a massive Guns fan, the entire reunion has been iffy. Listen, its great that it happened, I truly had given up hope that it would. Having said that:

-sad that it doesn't include Izzy, Matt or Steven. I really thought Slash would never agree to coming back unless it did. But whatever, I can get over that (even though Frank is such a bad drummer)

-they could do so much more with the setlist. Open with something different every now and then. Rotate some other songs in. It doesn't have to be largely the same songs every single night, since 2016. This year brought about the biggest shake ups for sure, but most were overdue that it kinda felt too little too late. But again, whatever, I'm thrilled to get Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession and Anything Goes in the set.

-the new songs. Largely, they've all been pretty forgettable. Absurd, Hard Skool, Perhaps and now the General are all pretty nothing tracks, but if they wanted them out the rollout was so silly, in retrospect but even knowing it then. They should have released 2 new songs at the start of the reunion in 2016. I know they didn't need to, but having 2 new songs in the set every night would have felt less like a cash grab. Or certainly, by 2018/2019 they should have been added in, once the initial reunion wave was over. Secondly, they are poor songs because Axl just doesn't write or record anything new. Slash and Duff are adding (minimal) contributions to already written songs that are 20 years old. That weren't that great to start with. So I'm very happy there is new material. I wish it was more collaborative and substantial and not just leftovers with old vocals from a bad album and barely any real GNR feel to them.

-I'm still a little salty with how much Chinese they play. While I don't love Slash legitimizing that album (even though I don't hate it), I'd be happier if it was a true Eagles type reunion thing where they legitimized EVERYTHING. If you're gonna play GNR, there's no reason to not play VR or Slash solo material. It is just as legitimate and better and more GNR sounding most times. Yes, they FINALLY threw in Slither, but as usual it was a little too late and while they've played almost all of Chinese Democracy, they've played ONE Velvet Revolver song. Meanwhile, every cover under the sun is up for grabs.

There's not much you'd have to do to change around some elements of the show to make them much better. But it is what it is and I never thought a reunion would even happen so here's where we are. But its why the new songs will never be that great. Unfortunately they aren't really collaborating on that level.

Date: November 3, 2023 16:24

RollingFreak
HardRiffin
slewan

Another poor song

As a massive Guns fan, the entire reunion has been iffy. Listen, its great that it happened, I truly had given up hope that it would. Having said that:

-sad that it doesn't include Izzy, Matt or Steven. I really thought Slash would never agree to coming back unless it did. But whatever, I can get over that (even though Frank is such a bad drummer)

-they could do so much more with the setlist. Open with something different every now and then. Rotate some other songs in. It doesn't have to be largely the same songs every single night, since 2016. This year brought about the biggest shake ups for sure, but most were overdue that it kinda felt too little too late. But again, whatever, I'm thrilled to get Pretty Tied Up, Bad Obsession and Anything Goes in the set.

-the new songs. Largely, they've all been pretty forgettable. Absurd, Hard Skool, Perhaps and now the General are all pretty nothing tracks, but if they wanted them out the rollout was so silly, in retrospect but even knowing it then. They should have released 2 new songs at the start of the reunion in 2016. I know they didn't need to, but having 2 new songs in the set every night would have felt less like a cash grab. Or certainly, by 2018/2019 they should have been added in, once the initial reunion wave was over. Secondly, they are poor songs because Axl just doesn't write or record anything new. Slash and Duff are adding (minimal) contributions to already written songs that are 20 years old. That weren't that great to start with. So I'm very happy there is new material. I wish it was more collaborative and substantial and not just leftovers with old vocals from a bad album and barely any real GNR feel to them.

-I'm still a little salty with how much Chinese they play. While I don't love Slash legitimizing that album (even though I don't hate it), I'd be happier if it was a true Eagles type reunion thing where they legitimized EVERYTHING. If you're gonna play GNR, there's no reason to not play VR or Slash solo material. It is just as legitimate and better and more GNR sounding most times. Yes, they FINALLY threw in Slither, but as usual it was a little too late and while they've played almost all of Chinese Democracy, they've played ONE Velvet Revolver song. Meanwhile, every cover under the sun is up for grabs.

There's not much you'd have to do to change around some elements of the show to make them much better. But it is what it is and I never thought a reunion would even happen so here's where we are. But its why the new songs will never be that great. Unfortunately they aren't really collaborating on that level.

well, most of what you describe is true – not only for GnR but also for the Rolling Stones.

I think one of the main reasons GnR don't play Slash' solo stuff is that he tours regularly with Miles Kennedy where he plays his solo stuff and no GnR stuff (except for maybe one song). In contrast Axl Rose has no other band.

Date: November 3, 2023 16:41

slewan
I think one of the main reasons GnR don't play Slash' solo stuff is that he tours regularly with Miles Kennedy where he plays his solo stuff and no GnR stuff (except for maybe one song). In contrast Axl Rose has no other band.

Fair, although I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Axl sees Chinese as a legit GNR album, and he wrote those songs. Many Guns fans are fine with it being an Axl solo album, and a fine one at that, but its not really GNR, and his constant playing of it doesn't really change that narrative.

I think the biggest missed opportunity is there are great Slash songs that would be even better with Axl vocals. His first Snakepit album was written for Axl to do vocals on! Axl covering Fergie's Beautiful Dangerous would be tailor made for him. Some of those Myles songs would be great for Axl. I can understand that maybe he doesn't feel comfortable singing lyrics that aren't his (though they cover every song under the sun), but the songs would strongly benefit from his vocals.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: November 3, 2023 17:00

I agree new track not great.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 3, 2023 17:07

Do they ever play VR's Fall to Pieces? That is an iconic Slash song.

Date: November 3, 2023 17:40

RollingFreak
slewan
I think one of the main reasons GnR don't play Slash' solo stuff is that he tours regularly with Myles Kennedy where he plays his solo stuff and no GnR stuff (except for maybe one song). In contrast Axl Rose has no other band.

Fair, although I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Axl sees Chinese as a legit GNR album, and he wrote those songs. Many Guns fans are fine with it being an Axl solo album, and a fine one at that, but its not really GNR, and his constant playing of it doesn't really change that narrative.

I think the biggest missed opportunity is there are great Slash songs that would be even better with Axl vocals. His first Snakepit album was written for Axl to do vocals on! Axl covering Fergie's Beautiful Dangerous would be tailor made for him. Some of those Myles songs would be great for Axl. I can understand that maybe he doesn't feel comfortable singing lyrics that aren't his (though they cover every song under the sun), but the songs would strongly benefit from his vocals.

well, the brute fact is that Axl owns GnR or at least the name. And he used to ban Slash for see the his version of GnR live. He also once made the security throw out a fan out of a show who was wearing a shirt saying 'Slash is Guns n' Roses'.

Beside that I'm not sure if Slash really wants to play his own stuff with GnR. If I desperately wanted to do so I'm sure he could enforce the rule 'if there's one for me there's can't be two for you'…

Date: November 3, 2023 17:48

NashvilleBlues
Do they ever play VR's Fall to Pieces? That is an iconic Slash song.

Sadly they don't. The only non Axl song they've done thats not a cover is Slither.

Date: November 3, 2023 20:33

umakmehrd

I wound up on the floor: Section A for $98, did you go?

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: November 3, 2023 20:42

I think Axl might have to forgo back to back nights or shorten the sets a little. Night 1 was as good as I have ever seen them. playing 3 hours 15 mins in a set that included Locomotive. Last night he seemed to run out of steam and skipped Patience / YCBM and the show was 2 hours 35 mins. Still long enough but people expecting the previous night to be matched were disappointed. People were screaming Patience on the way out.

Date: November 3, 2023 21:04

Dan
I think Axl might have to forgo back to back nights or shorten the sets a little. Night 1 was as good as I have ever seen them. playing 3 hours 15 mins in a set that included Locomotive. Last night he seemed to run out of steam and skipped Patience / YCBM and the show was 2 hours 35 mins. Still long enough but people expecting the previous night to be matched were disappointed. People were screaming Patience on the way out.

Patience not being played isn't strange. Thats usually subbed out with Don't Cry on a night 2. The General seems to have made up for any shortcomings, cause without that I think there would be more annoyance. He must have hit a wall at a certain point, cause they chopped out a ton. Hard Skool, Anything Goes, Down On The Farm, Reckless Life all skipped notably. Locomotive, Street Of Dreams and Madagascar too, but those aren't every nighters. He definitely went into autopilot after The General. Rest of the set was just stuff they HAD to play and they dropped anything else extraneous. I thought at first it meant a super long encore. Like you say, even cutting all that out its a respectable length show, but that was definitely a sign Axl needed out.

Definitely think this is the end to back to back nights, and also as someone pointed out they did 50 shows in 6 months, all 3 hour shows. By comparison guys like Metallica are doing that many shows in 2 years, and its a shorter show. Same with the Stones, same with Red Hot Chili Peppers. I think they might have overplayed their hand with this tour by a few dates. They've got one more to make it through then Axl needs a well deserved break, and an easier touring schedule moving forward.

Date: November 5, 2023 07:41

Yes Axl needs a good rest before next tour. I think he was pushing himself . Enjoyed his Vancouver outing.

Date: November 5, 2023 16:04

Paddy
umakmehrd

Nice Paddy ! No I did not but I heard it was a good show… Section A floor must have been awesome

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: November 5, 2023 18:24

Loved the Nashville show. Reports of Axl’s demise were exaggerated. Didn’t get Don’t Cry or Mr. Brownstone though.

Date: March 8, 2024 23:19

Slash has announced a new album featuring blues covers

the first released track 'Killing Floor' sounds very promissing

here's the official video => [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-08 23:20 by slewan.

Date: March 9, 2024 03:58

umakmehrd
Paddy
umakmehrd

Nice Paddy ! No I did not but I heard it was a good show… Section A floor must have been awesome
. Floor $98 unbelievable. So cheap I’ve never seen it on floor in Vancouver for that price. That’s great.

Date: March 9, 2024 22:04

Courtesy of Powerage on the AC/DC thread:

Tracklist
1. The Pusher (feat. Chris Robinson)
2. Crossroads (feat. Gary Clark Jr.)
3. Hoochie Coochie Man (feat. Billy Gibbons)
4. Oh Well (feat. Chris Stapleton)
5. Key to the Highway (feat. Dorothy)
6. Awful Dream (feat. Iggy Pop)
7. Born Under a Bad Sign (feat. Paul Rodgers)
8. Papa Was a Rolling Stone (feat. Demi Lovato)
9. Killing Floor (feat. Brian Johnson)
10. Living for the City (feat. Tash Neal)
11. Stormy Day (feat. Beth Hart)
12. Metal Chesnut

Slash : Guitars
Johnny Griparic : Bass
Teddy Andreadis : Keyboards
Michael Jerome : Drums
Tash Neal : Guitars

Rumors of a tour with Tash Neal on vocals. Personally would love to see that. Slash's solo tours used to be great and have sadly gotten pretty stale. They used to be the best rock show around.

Date: March 9, 2024 23:12

RollingFreak
Courtesy of Powerage on the AC/DC thread:

Tracklist
1. The Pusher (feat. Chris Robinson)
2. Crossroads (feat. Gary Clark Jr.)
3. Hoochie Coochie Man (feat. Billy Gibbons)
4. Oh Well (feat. Chris Stapleton)
5. Key to the Highway (feat. Dorothy)
6. Awful Dream (feat. Iggy Pop)
7. Born Under a Bad Sign (feat. Paul Rodgers)
8. Papa Was a Rolling Stone (feat. Demi Lovato)
9. Killing Floor (feat. Brian Johnson)
10. Living for the City (feat. Tash Neal)
11. Stormy Day (feat. Beth Hart)
12. Metal Chesnut

Slash : Guitars
Johnny Griparic : Bass
Teddy Andreadis : Keyboards
Michael Jerome : Drums
Tash Neal : Guitars

Rumors of a tour with Tash Neal on vocals. Personally would love to see that. Slash's solo tours used to be great and have sadly gotten pretty stale. They used to be the best rock show around.

it's a pity he tour Europe before the release of his new album…

Date: March 10, 2024 02:57

slewan
True, though its hard to tell how big this release will really be. Smaller tour would make sense in general for this, which in itself would feel exclusively US anyway, regardless of if he'd just been to Europe or not. I wouldn't expect this to get much traction with him when he's already got GNR and his solo stuff on his plate. But who knows when GNR even tours again.

Date: March 10, 2024 10:01

RollingFreak
slewan
True, though its hard to tell how big this release will really be. Smaller tour would make sense in general for this, which in itself would feel exclusively US anyway, regardless of if he'd just been to Europe or not. I wouldn't expect this to get much traction with him when he's already got GNR and his solo stuff on his plate. But who knows when GNR even tours again.

well, it would be great if he was to play maybe three of those blues songs at his European shows… but since the album will be released after the tour…

Date: March 10, 2024 10:07

slewan
RollingFreak
slewan

well, it would be great if he was to play maybe three of those blues songs at his European shows… but since the album will be released after the tour…

If he was to play it with his current band though, he could have just recorded the album with them. He obviously sees them as 2 very separate things, specifically the idea of Myles singing them. It seems to me.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1923
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home