Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7
Re: OT: Guns N Roses stuff
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 30, 2023 18:37

RollingFreak
How GNR still exists in incredible to me.

1. That they are all still alive.

2. That Axl and Slash actually patched things up and got over their feud which I truly thought was beyond repair at this point.

3. That they still play @#$%& stadiums without having any real new music out or anything of relevance in 30 years.

4. That they actually play Chinese Democracy songs live.

5. That Axl can still sing that shit, however bad it is, at over 60 years old.

Nostalgia at its finest, or truly the fact that they were so good that they only made 3 albums and still have drawing power. The fact that I've seen them 10 times on this reunion tour makes no sense, but can't help but love em and the fact that I don't think they should even still be around, so I'll embrace them while they are.

I really liked Chinese Democracy. I saw a show when they still had Buckethead & Robin Finke (NIN) & it was amazing.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 30, 2023 20:30

crholmstrom
RollingFreak

2. That Axl and Slash actually patched things up and got over their feud which I truly thought was beyond repair at this point.

3. That they still play @#$%& stadiums without having any real new music out or anything of relevance in 30 years.

Nostalgia at its finest, or truly the fact that they were so good that they only made 3 albums and still have drawing power. The fact that I've seen them 10 times on this reunion tour makes no sense, but can't help but love em and the fact that I don't think they should even still be around, so I'll embrace them while they are.

I really liked Chinese Democracy. I saw a show when they still had Buckethead & Robin Finke (NIN) & it was amazing.

I second that. They played Civil War live for the first time in 18 years in Nashville on that tour. I know it was just Axl and some hired guns (pun intended), but it was an electric show. They did start super late like it was 1987, but made up for it with a great show, including 7 songs from Chinese Democracy.

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 30, 2023 21:25

GnR without Slash isn't GnR – just like Mick Jagger with KR is never the Rolling Stones, even if he plays 80% Stones songs

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 30, 2023 22:02

NashvilleBlues
crholmstrom
RollingFreak

I second that. They played Civil War live for the first time in 18 years in Nashville on that tour. I know it was just Axl and some hired guns (pun intended), but it was an electric show. They did start super late like it was 1987, but made up for it with a great show, including 7 songs from Chinese Democracy.

[www.setlist.fm]

Buckethead and Robin were there in 02. So it was a very different band in 11. Probably the worst combo of guitarists cause Ashba was there. I saw them that fall too. Only time I saw "Axl's band". It was fine, he was decent, but he was off stage any time he wasn't singing and at that point you're just watching a cover band, so it wasn't my thing. They did pull out Civil War and Estranged for the first time in forever then, so I have to give them credit for it.

Chinese is a perfectly fine album. Its about half great, I like about 9 of the 15 songs. Its a great Axl Rose solo album, with some editing. But its not a Guns N Roses album. My issue with current day GNR is legitimizing that as if its more GNR than say Velvet Revolver or Snakepit. If you're gonna play that, play more Velvet Revovler and Snakepit which are just plain better songs and sound more GNR than Chinese, but I'm fine with Chinese as an album on its own. Having said that, they are the blandest parts of current GNR shows, cause there's nothing for the band besides Axl to really do on them.

Date: July 31, 2023 02:21

Luckily, for this lineup, it looks like the only song they’re playing off Chinese Democracy is the title track.

Date: July 31, 2023 07:22

NashvilleBlues
Luckily, for this lineup, it looks like the only song they’re playing off Chinese Democracy is the title track.

Every night, but they've also played This I Love, Street Of Dreams, There Was A Time, Prostitute, Better and Sorry multiple times. There was essentially a second Chinese rotating slot, but sometimes a third too.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: July 31, 2023 08:40

Why Axl didn’t just release Chinese Democracy as a solo record I’ll never know.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: August 1, 2023 10:51

I just got a ticket not long ago. Was debating to go or not. A few ladies have a convinced me to go, also after watching their tour of Europe this summer on YouTube . Hey they are still good but not AS good as 90s. Wish Izzy was in band. I can’t wait for Stones next year so it’s GNR, will skip Boss this time. Just hope they deliver on last date of tour. I’m sure they will try.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-01 10:53 by babyblue.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: August 18, 2023 07:39

New single out - Perhaps. Not a fan. To me sounds like a Chinese Democracy leftover. Nice solo by Slash though. Guess the new album’s coming!!!

Perhaps

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: August 18, 2023 09:12

I think it is just that, a Chinese Democracy leftover.

At first listen, it sounded OK, nothing special.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-18 10:02 by Topi.

Date: August 18, 2023 13:06

VoodooLounge13
New single out - Perhaps. Not a fan. To me sounds like a Chinese Democracy leftover. Nice solo by Slash though. Guess the new album’s coming!!!

Perhaps

there's also a new song on the B-side of the physical release:
[de.gnrmerch.com]

Date: August 18, 2023 13:11

Topi
I think it is just that, a Chinese Democracy leftover.

At first listen, it sounded OK, nothing special.

in fact it sounds like mixing quite a lot of typical GnR stuff together in one song

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 18, 2023 13:21

slewan
VoodooLounge13

Perhaps

[de.gnrmerch.com]

That song on the B Side, The General, is one of the most famous unreleased tracks. Cannot wait to finally hear that one!

Perhaps is indeed a ChiDem era song, the 2001 (?) Demo of it leaked in 2019.

Date: August 18, 2023 13:23

[www.rollingstone.com]

Rolling Stone Magazine says the songs has its "roots" in the Chinese Democracy sessions.

Date: August 18, 2023 14:34

Here's hoping the album has more of a traditional GNR sound. Very unimpressed with the 3 recent singles.

Date: August 18, 2023 16:05

VoodooLounge13
Here's hoping the album has more of a traditional GNR sound. Very unimpressed with the 3 recent singles.

I second that. I’ll be in the pit when they come to Nashville a week from tomorrow. Hopefully the new songs sound better live.

Date: August 18, 2023 16:37

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

I second that. I’ll be in the pit when they come to Nashville a week from tomorrow. Hopefully the new songs sound better live.

don't forget your earplugs – in Europe they played fu*king loud

Date: August 18, 2023 16:40

slewan
NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

Thank you. A 3 hour show too!

Date: August 18, 2023 17:54

NashvilleBlues
slewan
NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

Thank you. A 3 hour show too!

sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. In Madrid they played some 3 hours 15 min in Frankfurt a little less than 3 hours

Date: August 18, 2023 18:04

Any song that comes out now will be a Chinese outtake. Axl hasn't recorded vocals for a new GNR song since about 2002, maybe some in 2006, but largely all the leaks we know are from 20 years ago. That is certainly the case with the latest 3, Absurd, Hard Skool and Perhaps, which is why, like the album Chinese Democracy, the songs are lathered in overproduction to hide the fact that Axl won't come back to rerecord vocals.

None of the songs are great, but its what they have and can work with. Not defending the laziness of this band, its just beggars can't be choosers and ultimately its either this or nothing if you know anything about the band. I would say this song got the most crap put it on it and while the song was nothing great, I enjoyed the chorus on the demo and they've largely ruined it here with effects. The General will be slightly interesting, and Atlas Shrugged is also rumored to be on the way, but who really knows in GNR land. And if they do come, Atlas is more of the same in just being a fine song and The General is probably never going to be as good as its legendarily rumored to be after all these years. Keep expectations low.

Axl didn't record Chinese as a solo album because he truly considers himself GNR, or did for 20 years, and also GNR sells more records than an Axl Rose solo album ever would. As a GNR record, its terrible and I don't rate it as one. As an Axl Rose solo album, its actually not that bad and think thats how it should have been released. I guess Slash and Duff can't get Axl back in the studio so they just rework some of his old ideas as "new" GNR songs. But if their basis is in Chinese era GNR, they're never going to sound like the GNR people think of, which is sad cause I think Slash is still capable of collaborating with the guys to create something of good quality. Its clearly been agreed that thats not in the cards though.

Date: August 18, 2023 18:06

They put on a great show! Or they did back when they originally reformed - 2017 was it? Saw them at Giants Stadium with Lenny Kravitz. I know it's not called that anymore, but it will always be known as that to me (coming from a Cowboys fan no less LOL).

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 18, 2023 18:28

IrelandCalling4
slewan
VoodooLounge13

Perhaps

[de.gnrmerch.com]

That song on the B Side, The General, is one of the most famous unreleased tracks. Cannot wait to finally hear that one!

Perhaps is indeed a ChiDem era song, the 2001 (?) Demo of it leaked in 2019.

Yes, Perhaps is on the infamous "19 CD Leak" (from an unclaimed container), on CD#1 and it sounds almost exactly the same ! Can't see "The General" on these 19CDs though, guess it's never leaked at least under that title.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 18, 2023 18:35

The General has never knowingly leaked. There's the small possibility that its a song thats out there in a different name, but the actual name The General has been out there for awhile that we'd probably know if it was out there already.

Date: August 18, 2023 18:58

slewan
NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

Or do you want the earplugs so you don't hear Axl? winking smiley

J/K, I hope NashvilleBlues catches him on a good night.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 18, 2023 20:03

I've always thought of ChiDem as an Axl solo record and have to say it is one I return to frequently. Some high quality material there and the band (term used loosely as any given track may have overdubs from different guitarists a decade apart) played it so well. There Was a Time, Catcher in the Rye, Better, This I Love, Madagascar, Street of Dreams, Prostitute, even IRS - ChiDem I rate higher than most solo GNR activities and just above the best of the Velvet Revolver material

Live, Axl N' Roses played superbly. The Appetite for Democracy live DVD for instance is wonderful. I saw them in 2006, 2010 (when Axl was bottled off stage after a very late start in Dublin, forced back on an hour later after promoters locked the doors) and 2011.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-18 20:04 by IrelandCalling4.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: August 18, 2023 20:12

RollingFreak
The General has never knowingly leaked. There's the small possibility that its a song thats out there in a different name, but the actual name The General has been out there for awhile that we'd probably know if it was out there already.

I've seen hints that it could be associated with the "State of Grace" song and indeed on the version on CD3 at 2'51" Axl seems to be singing "I'm the general I believe in"...we'll soon find out I guess !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: August 19, 2023 13:10

after 'Perhaps' was sound checked before the last few show it was played live for the first time yesterday in Pittsburgh => [www.setlist.fm]

Date: August 20, 2023 08:50

For those with more knowledge, whatever happened to the song 19 Forever!?!? I remember that being talked about in interviews waaaaay back when, before the Illusion albums and I don’t think it was on the Appetite Deluxe release so where did it go!?!? At the time it was supposed to be this great song they had in the can.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 21, 2023 23:17

I’ve had to extract myself from a conversation regarding the new GnR single…. when the phrase “better than anything the Stones have released for 40 years” is used to describe the new GnR tune it’s time to walk away…..

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: August 22, 2023 18:42

So they just slapped a Slash solo on a song that wasn't good enough to make it on a terrible album?

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 5 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1832
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home