Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7
Re: OT: Guns N Roses stuff
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 29, 2023 16:09

Yeah he splilled the beans a few years later for a French rock mag.

Basically the sound level onstage was so high, Beck's clothes were moving as if the weather was windy. And it was just a rehearsal.
So not wanting to damage his hearing Jeff called in sick.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 30, 2023 19:53

GhostTown2021
GasLightStreet

until Axl wanted to be Elton
That would be, what, about two years before the release of Appetite for Destruction?
Ok, just kidding. Axl wanted to be Elton since he could listen to the radio. And that is just as it should be.

Ha ha. True. It just seemed a bit over the top.

Ever heard the early version(s) of November Rain? I have a bootleg with several versions of it. What ended up on UYI was just bombarded with production. There's some quote of Axl saying if November Rain isn't recorded correctly or perfectly he'd quit.

I guess they got it correct or perfect. It's on the radio often, at least in regard to not the three from APPETITE, along with Knocking On Heaven's Door and, hilariously, Live And Let Die.

Date: January 30, 2023 21:56

GasLightStreet
There's some quote of Axl saying if November Rain isn't recorded correctly or perfectly he'd quit.

Yeah it was very dear to him, he had the song in him since at least 1986.

the funny irony is the born-in-the-studio "Estranged" is in fact a much better song (imho).
NR "tastes" like a big cake with toooooo much chantilly on it while "Estranged" is a truly poignant tune (imo again).

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: January 30, 2023 23:42

dcba
GasLightStreet
There's some quote of Axl saying if November Rain isn't recorded correctly or perfectly he'd quit.

Yeah it was very dear to him, he had the song in him since at least 1986.

the funny irony is the born-in-the-studio "Estranged" is in fact a much better song (imho).
NR "tastes" like a big cake with toooooo much chantilly on it while "Estranged" is a truly poignant tune (imo again).

I’d take estranged over Nov Rain any day. Was it born in the studio though? I recall them working on this in Chicago before the sessions began. It’s in either Slash or Duffs book.

Date: January 31, 2023 11:46

You're right I wasn't clear enough. I meant it wasn't part of the bunch of tracks the band carried from the pre-AFD days.

Date: February 1, 2023 17:43

Estranged is such a great song with great lyrics. It's the Midnight Rambler of GnR i guess.

Date: February 1, 2023 20:43

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Estranged is such a great song with great lyrics. It's the Midnight Rambler of GnR i guess.

In the same way only the Stones could have written Rambler, only GnR could have written Estranged.

Date: February 1, 2023 21:30

Paddy
only GnR could have written Estranged.

Slash's finest hour? The melody lines he brought to Axl's chords are simply exquisite. He really grew between AFD and UYI and he brought so much to the 1991 sessions that it was natural that he took control of the band.
As much as I like Izzy his imput on the UYI albums was minimal.

Date: February 1, 2023 22:15

dcba
Paddy
only GnR could have written Estranged.

Slash's finest hour? The melody lines he brought to Axl's chords are simply exquisite. He really grew between AFD and UYI and he brought so much to the 1991 sessions that it was natural that he took control of the band.
As much as I like Izzy his imput on the UYI albums was minimal.

Estranged is definitely close to the best guitar work Slash did with GnR, the volume swells and as you said the melodic lines he brought to that song are amazing. Izzy is all over the Illusions albums, he co wrote probably half the songs, but I don’t think he contributed much work in the studio.

Posted by: ukcal ()
Date: February 21, 2023 18:43

Just announced 27th June, tuesday, Glasgow, Bellahouston Park

tickets on sale 24th Feb, beats travelling to Hyde park

Posted by: TKinOH ()
Date: February 21, 2023 19:44

There's a big run of North American dates for the Aug-Oct timeframe...and Metallica is on the road then, too... some ballparks and arenas in the mix for GnR.

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: February 21, 2023 19:47

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()

Just announced 2023 World Tour starting in Tel Aviv and coming back thru the US in the Fall, including Fenway and Wrigley. Wonder how that will impact the Stones' plans for the Fall........

Posted by: rockerparis ()

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 21, 2023 20:04

Where's Izzy ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: February 21, 2023 20:44

gotdablouse
Where's Izzy ?

probably still asleep

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 21, 2023 20:53

Will there ever be a new album?

Date: February 21, 2023 20:56

Hairball
Will there ever be a new album?

Taking a page outta our Boys' playbook......

Date: February 21, 2023 20:57

SPAC hardly seems like an ideal venue to host a band as massive as GNR. Very interesting choice that one is - Saratoga Springs for those who don't know.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 21, 2023 21:22

Tour finishes in Vancouver. Lots of tours hitting the city around the same time. Just bought Amex presales for Pink on Oct 20 and waiting for Springsteen tickets for Nov 3. Hopefully Stones too!
Surprised they're playing Moncton New Brunswick. City has less than 100k population and the stadium that they're playing is very small on the university campus.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: February 22, 2023 02:07

Lol saw them in seattle and Vancouver on this tour... its comical that they are coming back again. This is the tour that never ends... This is the tour that never ends...

I will pass

Date: February 22, 2023 03:54

DGA35
Tour finishes in Vancouver. Lots of tours hitting the city around the same time. Just bought Amex presales for Pink on Oct 20 and waiting for Springsteen tickets for Nov 3. Hopefully Stones too!
Surprised they're playing Moncton New Brunswick. City has less than 100k population and the stadium that they're playing is very small on the university campus.

I’ll probably hit the Vancouver gig, but it will be a cheap ticket bought on the day of the show. Axl’s been a disaster the last 2-3 years and it’s hard to listen to. The crap drummer also is a major put off.

Date: February 22, 2023 07:29

Yes, they are playing mostly the same setlist

Yes, the same drummer, whoever that is.

No, they won't have a new album out anytime soon, or likely even a new song this time

No, the venues aren't going to be empty with fans staying home because they are playing 3 hours of mostly the hits.

Even though, yes, tickets are expensive.

Izzy who?

Posted by: wullybully ()
Date: February 22, 2023 08:32

Advance sales for fan club members started today. Does anyone have a link or presale code for me?

Date: February 22, 2023 09:45

VoodooLounge13
Just announced 2023 World Tour starting in Tel Aviv and coming back thru the US in the Fall, including Fenway and Wrigley. Wonder how that will impact the Stones' plans for the Fall........

bet a part of the crew would go directly from the last gig in Phily to the Guns tour.

Isn't Ole also the production manager of GnR ?

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: February 22, 2023 12:47

Wonder if they will change their set list? Someone made a weird choice to include Wichita Lineman in their last tour. Fingers crossed for more killer, less filler this time.

Date: February 22, 2023 18:58

Father Ted
Wonder if they will change their set list? Someone made a weird choice to include Wichita Lineman in their last tour. Fingers crossed for more killer, less filler this time.

Maybe a song here or there but wouldn't count on it.

You're going to get a super long set with a lot of filler. I would rather have a concise 90-105 minute set but it's what they have done since UYI tour.

Personally I think Locomotive is up there with Achilles Last Stand or Funeral For A Friend as one of the all time great epics but they don't pull it out too much.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: February 22, 2023 19:11

Father Ted

When I saw them they played over 3 hours & that was after an hour of Alice in Chains. Too long. Could've been 2.5 hours & everyone would've been happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-02-24 17:06 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 24, 2023 16:56

$375 pit ticket ended up being $482 after $107 in fees. Only (only, haha!) paid $104 in fees for $500 Stones ticket in 2019.

Posted by: stonesstein ()
Date: February 24, 2023 18:46

Dan
Personally I think Locomotive is up there with Achilles Last Stand or Funeral For A Friend as one of the all time great epics but they don't pull it out too much.

I agree that Locomotive is in that category, though I am of the opinion that Achilles' Last Stand from Presence is both Zeppelin's and Jimmy Page's and Bonzo's finest moment(s), so, initially, the reference gave me pause. Still, I like Dan's reference and it makes me want to pull out my old GNR UYI II and spin it.

stonesstein

Kick me like you did before
I can't even feel the pain no more
Rocks Off, 1972

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 3 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1992
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home