Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11
Re: Keith On Taylor Swift
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 21, 2022 04:12

treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
treaclefingers
GasLightStreet
Dan
NashvilleBlues
Now there won't be a general sale? I thought they held tickets aside for the general sale. What gives? Never seen anything like this! Break up TM! They're incompetent.

[www.msn.com]

Not always. Not if they sell them all during all the presale.

So, now are you going to see Taylor Swift now? Buy secondary or not go?

Sell all of them during presale?

PREsale?!!? BEFORE they're on sale!!?? How can they sell anything before it's on sale!!??

I think, therefore I am.

But you don't pre-think.

Well I pre-think, and not only that if a tree falls in the forest and nobody's there, I still think I hear it,

Sort of like phantom pain I guess.

That's still thinking. Which is not pre-thinking.

OT: Taylor Swift
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: August 12, 2023 18:05

Not sure if there’s another Taylor Swift thread, but it seems like she has been bleeding into every conversation. Post Taylor Swift stuff here, so she doesn’t derail unrelated threads.

Re: OT: Taylor Swift
Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 12, 2023 18:43

Let's hope this doesn't turn into a Mick Taylor thread smileys with beer

Posted by: Javadave ()
Date: August 12, 2023 19:16

She’s decent, but I honestly don’t get all the hype. Big stage production sure, but I’m not hearing it in the music. Then again, I’m not a teen girl. Good for Taylor for getting it while she can though.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 12, 2023 19:26

Taylor Swift Unites America

Were the Stones ever THIS big?

Drew

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: August 12, 2023 19:30

When Taylor is Eighty we can have this conversation..

Name 10 of her songs

But I do love all these Kid's & Parents going to a massive Stadium Show

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: August 12, 2023 19:36

She's very smart & talented. Not my cup of tea though.

Date: August 12, 2023 19:45

I am not a fan but I will say she did a better job on "As Tears Go By" in Chicago than most of the other guest VOCAL appearances I have seen.

Date: August 12, 2023 20:00

crholmstrom
She's very smart & talented. Not my cup of tea though.

Mine neither. There is nothing in her music that I can relate to or enjoy.

Any IORR members who self-identify as a "Swiftie", please speak up now. You will not be judged, just admired for the diversity of your musical palette!

Drew

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 12, 2023 20:16

I don’t ‘get it’, either. However, maybe I would’ve done so a decade ago. Despite my love for the music of my late-father’s era, I did really go through a long-ish phase of enjoying ‘current’ ‘pop’ music: Beyoncé was a huge favourite. However, in recent years, I’ve drifted very-much away from the ‘current’, and I’m somewhat content in my comfortable bunker, which consists of, well, what I think the majority of us here gravitate towards. No, seriously, Taylor Swift absolutely deserves all the recognition; it’s just that I’m not onboard this time.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: August 12, 2023 20:50

drewmaster

Drew

hard to say – because the market for pupular music is now much bigger than it used to be in he haydays of the Stones (and there was also that boygroup from Liverpool…)

Posted by: Lynd8 ()
Date: August 12, 2023 20:54

I watched her documentary a few years back and in in it, they showed her and some guy putting together a song - it looked 85-90 totally electronic, I think this why it seems too glossy and boring to me. What the hell do I know though - I'm a 60 year old geezer, not a 16 year old girl LOL

Posted by: angee ()
Date: August 12, 2023 21:07

georgemcdonnell314
I am not a fan but I will say she did a better job on "As Tears Go By" in Chicago than most of the other guest VOCAL appearances I have seen.

I thought the whole performance was pretty awful. Agree to disagree.
Mick was okay as her guest though. :-)

Not a fan (obviously) but on her success, I say, kudos to her!

~"Love is Strong"~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-12 21:19 by angee.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: August 12, 2023 21:12

I was going to make a post about her! I obviously know who she is but I don't know a single song of hers.
Her popularity is so huge, this current tour of hers is probably bigger than any other band/artist could ever do at their peak. 6 shows at SoFi in LA, and the crowds she draws to each show are larger than comparable recent Stones shows at the same venues.
She recently sold out 2 shows in Seattle, the crowd was so loud that it triggered a small earthquake. A friend's daughter that lives in Vancouver went down to Seattle and just stood outside the stadium to listen along with hundreds of others.
PM Trudeau even tweeted recently asking her to come to Canada. She announced 6 shows in Toronto at Rogers Centre which will sell out immediately. 3 Superdome shows, 3 Miami, 3 Indianapolis, 6 Wembley, unbelievable.

Date: August 12, 2023 21:28

slewan
drewmaster

Drew

hard to say – because the market for pupular music is now much bigger than it used to be in he haydays of the Stones (and there was also that boygroup from Liverpool…)

But, but - are you sure the market for popular music is bigger than it used to be? My impression is that, for young people, music is LESS important than it was back in the 60s and 70s. They've got so many other distractions (social media, video games, etc.) that music is just not as central to their lives as it was to the earlier generations.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-12 21:28 by drewmaster.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: August 12, 2023 21:30

I don't want to step on anyone's parade but really I don't care too much about or her music. That's great people are enjoying it, but it's not rock and roll and I don't need anyone telling me I'm too old or whatever. Personally I don't feel we need to compare her in any way to The Stones. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 12, 2023 23:06

Stadiums, at least in the U.S. are getting bigger and bigger. The Stones, at their live peak (money wise) in the late 80s, early 90s, could sell them out for week long stretches. Yes, they will be surpassed money wise and attendance wise, but they set those standards to begin with. That they were able to do so for so long is most admirable. For Taylor Swift to be mentioned alongside them is rare company indeed.

Date: August 12, 2023 23:23

I really like the stage designs and production from Taylor's tour. Hopefully the Stones will have a similar approach on their next tour to promote the new album, something special and fresh with a modern setting and a distinctive style. Looking forward to see what they're planning thumbs up

[www.instagram.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-12 23:30 by DiegoGlimmerStones.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 13, 2023 00:26

I think the lost generation is in need of a guardian angel, so they are sheeping,
not that there is anything wrong with that.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 13, 2023 01:17

The smart phone girl-generation need to be led ...

Look at all so called influencers ...
Filthy rich but have they done actually for the world ....

ROCKMAN

Date: August 13, 2023 18:37

Rockman

What has any entertainer really done for the world?

Re: OT: Taylor Swift stuff
Date: August 13, 2023 18:38

[apple.news]

Taylor Swift’s bassist adds bass to Metallica’s Blackened…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-08-13 18:38 by NashvilleBlues.

Date: August 13, 2023 19:26

NashvilleBlues
Rockman

Umm, well let's take the Rolling Stones, and what they have done for me.

For starters: Saved my life. Preserved my sanity. Given me countless hours of joy. Brought me closer to others. Inspired me to treat others with consideration and kindness.

And I'm just one of gazillions of human beings whose lives have been immeasurably improved by "entertainers" (or the term I prefer: "artists").

Any questions? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Drew

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: August 13, 2023 19:37

A co-worker of mine is a massive Swifty and she admits that Taylor Swift sings to a backing track of herself from her record. She claims she has to do this because her stage routine is so extensive she has to catch her breath. My friend also admits that all you hear at her shows is the crowd singing the tunes. Have fun with that for what she charges for tickets.

Date: August 13, 2023 20:35

drewmaster
NashvilleBlues
Rockman

For starters: Saved my life. Preserved my sanity. Given me countless hours of joy. Brought me closer to others. Inspired me to treat others with consideration and kindness.

And I'm just one of gazillions of human beings whose lives have been immeasurably improved by "entertainers" (or the term I prefer: "artists").

Drew

I totally agree. Entertainers (artists) may not cure cancer, but they provide positive feelings for their audience. Just because someone doesn’t “get” an entertainer (Taylor Swift, influencers, etc.), doesn’t mean they’re worthless to the world (as it seemed Rockman implied, and I hope I’m wrong). That said, I’m not a Swiftie and I don’t understand the appeal of influencers, but I’m not going to shit on what I don’t understand.

Any questions? smiling smiley

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 14, 2023 04:11

NashvilleBlues
drewmaster
NashvilleBlues
Rockman

Drew

I totally agree. Entertainers (artists) may not cure cancer, but they provide positive feelings for their audience. Just because someone doesn’t “get” an entertainer (Taylor Swift, influencers, etc.), doesn’t mean they’re worthless to the world (as it seemed Rockman implied, and I hope I’m wrong). That said, I’m not a Swiftie and I don’t understand the appeal of influencers, but I’m not going to shit on what I don’t understand.

Any questions? smiling smiley

I agree.. in part. As artists, what have The Stones given us in past 18 years apart from an album of covers and 3 or 4 singles?

Artists create.

Entertainers entertain, which in truth if we’re being honest, IS all The Stones have done for the best part of 2 bloody decades.

Rod

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 14, 2023 05:28

I'm trying to be objective here. I could be dead wrong. I think she's smart now to get every dime she can. I don't think she has real staying power. Her voice isn't special. I can't see her crossing genres like Ronstadt. I don't think she's attracting a large straight male audience. So far I haven't heard anything she's recorded I would be interested in. I say that because I wasn't a big Madonna fan, but I can certainly pick out tracks that I like.

I know that Swift isn't singing for a white, male, senior citizen like myself. She has found an audience, obviously, and good for her. Maybe it's about girl/female empowerment, like the Spice Girls. Not deep artists but they found a niche. Of course Taylor Swift had found a large one.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: August 14, 2023 06:42

While I am personally not a fan, my daughter has done her best to help me understand. From a musical perspective every songs (to me) sounds like a finely crafted pop song. Nearly everything is catchy on the first listen.

I appreciate the storytelling of her songs. 24FPS, she has already crossed genres having started out as a country singer from Nashville who is now living squarely in the pop lane.

What do folks mean by "I don't think she'll last?" Her first album came out in 2006. 17 years and 9 albums later (not counting her re-recording her earlier albums to own her own music). She's got the ear of young women, the stick it to the record business of Prince, and crowds like Rolling Stones fans who want to see multiple shows. She seems to be lasting just fine.

The two biggest concert draws this year by far have been Beyonce and Taylor Swift, so the year of the woman is clearly upon us.

TeaAtThree

Date: August 14, 2023 07:47

drewmaster
slewan
drewmaster

Drew

But, but - are you sure the market for popular music is bigger than it used to be? My impression is that, for young people, music is LESS important than it was back in the 60s and 70s. They've got so many other distractions (social media, video games, etc.) that music is just not as central to their lives as it was to the earlier generations.

Drew

Taylor Swift is selling (millions of) records, has massive streaming, and is selling out stadiums and is projected to have possibly the first billion dollar tour and you're wondering that "for young people, music is LESS important than it was back in the 60s and 70s"?

Because they've got "so many other distractions (social media, video games, etc.) that music is just not as central to their lives as it was to the earlier generations"?

That's your take on it?

Either you're choosing to ignore reality or you're not paying attention.

She's doing for the stadium tour the same as what U2 did in 2009-11 (which blew the Stones' A BIGGER BANG tour to dust by their 70th something shows attendance and financials): making it bigger.

The only other act in the history of music that could potentially challenge Taylor Swift's tour is Led Zeppelin.

Date: August 14, 2023 07:49

frankotero
I don't want to step on anyone's parade but really I don't care too much about or her music. That's great people are enjoying it, but it's not rock and roll and I don't need anyone telling me I'm too old or whatever. Personally I don't feel we need to compare her in any way to The Stones. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Ok.

Well, orange, you're old.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011Next
Current Page: 6 of 11

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1384
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home