Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9293949596979899100101102...LastNext
Current Page: 97 of 123
Re: Stones tour plans 2023
Posted by: Topi ()
Date: March 23, 2023 11:40

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't read too much into it as regards any future tours.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 23, 2023 12:59

MAF
bv
it will be the best tour in years.
No, not without Charlie.

You are talking for yourself. I am talking for myself. Nobody is entitled to talk on behalf of others.

Bjornulf

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: March 23, 2023 14:04

MAF
bv
it will be the best tour in years.
No, not without Charlie.

Charlie is still on tour when the Stones tour. He will always be in their hearts and will always be remembered.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 23, 2023 14:41

I’ll just keep humming Waiting On a Friend until the announcement. With fingers crossed…

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: March 23, 2023 16:57

bv
Every song at their shows is a highlight for me. It is the same band I fell in love with in 1971. Sure they are missing some old band members, sure they can be rusty. Still, most of the time, the shows are not just great, they are another memory for life.

I am a fan, and I love then just like I have loved them all these years. I will for sure follow them on tour as long as I can, until they- or me- can't do it anymore. I am really looking forward to the new announcement, it will be the best tour in years. Anyone who went on the tour last year will know what I am talking about. Then add the new album.

Indeed, most certainly do understand what you're talking about. I saw them five times on the 2022 tour, and for me - the excitement and the thrill was just as much there then, in much the same way as was/it has been for pretty much every Stones show I have ever attended, and my first was Knebworth back in 1976.

YIKES ! Now I feel f***ing old. Not as old as them maybe, but er ..... old nevertheless !!

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-23 16:58 by paulywaul.

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: March 23, 2023 17:34

I was lucky enough to get to 3 shows on the last tour, Stockholm a particular highlight for me an concur with BV that whoever gets to see this next tour is in for a real treat.

They really are quite extraordinary to be doing this at nearly 80, and we are so lucky to be able to still see The Rolling Stones.

As for the postponement, I'm happy to see them all out and about and looking healthy and doesn't concern me too much as the reason it was pushed back. For what its worth, some of the temperatures that they had to perform in on this last Summer European tour (particularly in France), I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance companies, physicians and the boys themselves felt more comfortable with the Octogenarians performing in the slightly cooler evenings that September onwards will bring.

Like I said, happy just to be discussing 'The next Rolling Stones' tour in 2023! We should be so lucky.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 23, 2023 18:00

Total guess here, but I'm thinking the tour dates could be similar to 2021. If they announce in July, they could play in September. They toured in the US during the NFL season in NFL stadiums in 2021. No reason to think they can't do it again.

Posted by: BFR ()
Date: March 23, 2023 18:33

NashvilleBlues
Total guess here, but I'm thinking the tour dates could be similar to 2021. If they announce in July, they could play in September. They toured in the US during the NFL season in NFL stadiums in 2021. No reason to think they can't do it again.

This is what I'm hoping for. I prefer that time of year to travel much more. We won't have to contend with nearly as many vacationers for hotels, flights, etc. in the fall

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 23, 2023 18:34

NashvilleBlues

Other than the fact that the pandemic is now "over", and dozens of other bands are on the road hogging up stadiums and various other venues throughout the land.
Plus, seems a bit of short notice to all of the sudden revamp an entire itinerary from one that was basically etched in stone (summer), to one that was probably never in the plans to begin with (fall).
BUT...if there's any band that has the clout and stature to have a great chance at booking stadiums whenever and wherever, even at a short notice, it would undoubtedly be the Stones and their management team.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: March 23, 2023 18:49

Hairball
NashvilleBlues

Other than the fact that the pandemic is now "over", and dozens of other bands are on the road hogging up stadiums and various other venues throughout the land.
Plus, seems a bit of short notice to all of the sudden revamp an entire itinerary from one that was basically etched in stone (summer), to one that was probably never in the plans to begin with (fall).
BUT...if there's any band that has the clout and stature to have a great chance at booking stadiums whenever and wherever, even at a short notice, it would undoubtedly be the Stones and their management team.

Definitely not in the know, but I'd assume things were more jammed up in Fall 2021 than now, since bands have been back touring for close to 2 years now.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 23, 2023 18:55

jshidoob
Today the Rolling Stones official Twitter posted the Angie music video with the caption "You can't see we never tried..."

The same official Twitter page posted a very similar Tweet during the heart of the COVID-19 pandemic when they were unable to tour. Very curious between the combination of BV's long post and this official Tweet, if there may have been a setback this week regarding a 2023 tour.

This being said, I'm still optimistic for a late summer/fall tour still, but would love to hear the thoughts of others!

I can't be bothered to check what they posted on Twitter but I always heard "You can't say we never tried..." and after double-checking that's what it is ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-24 00:09 by gotdablouse.

Date: March 23, 2023 19:21

NashvilleBlues
Hairball
NashvilleBlues

Definitely not in the know, but I'd assume things were more jammed up in Fall 2021 than now, since bands have been back touring for close to 2 years now.

I'm not in the know either, but seems that two years ago in the wake of the pandemic, many venues had wide open calendars with very few shows on their respective schedules due to a variety of pandemic related reasons.
A majority of stadiums, arenas, theaters, clubs, etc. were still "ghost towns" in a sense when compared to the business as usual overcrowded concert scene of the pre-pandemic era and as we see it today.
Whatever the case, as for now it all really boils down to the health of the band and their ability to go on the road for an extended 14 show run aka "mini tour". Time will tell, and hope for the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-23 19:23 by Hairball.

Posted by: coloradocanyons ()
Date: March 23, 2023 23:24

Hairball
NashvilleBlues
Hairball
NashvilleBlues

I'm not in the know either, but seems that two years ago in the wake of the pandemic, many venues had wide open calendars with very few shows on their respective schedules due to a variety of pandemic related reasons.
A majority of stadiums, arenas, theaters, clubs, etc. were still "ghost towns" in a sense when compared to the business as usual overcrowded concert scene of the pre-pandemic era and as we see it today.
Whatever the case, as for now it all really boils down to the health of the band and their ability to go on the road for an extended 14 show run aka "mini tour". Time will tell, and hope for the best.

From Pollstar (numbers use gross from top 100 tours)

2022 WW $6.28B 2021 $5.5B 2020 $1.2B 2019 $5.5B

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: March 23, 2023 23:44

Hairball
NashvilleBlues
Hairball
NashvilleBlues

In addition to NFL a lot more acts are making the jump to stadiums.

They might end up with an all C market tour with the orphaned stadiums that haven't been torn down yet.

Or decide to just go ahead and tour South America / Australia instead which was also rumored at some time.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: March 24, 2023 02:47

24FPS
NashvilleBlues
24FPS
It's hard to get excited about 'new' tours. I call the last one the Out of Time Tour because it was the only highlight. Does anyone really think they're going to deliver the ground-in-the-dirt warhorses in a new, novel, electrifying way? Does it matter if they start off with SFM, or JJF. It's sad when novel is considered starting off with You Got Me Rocking, which is close to 30-years-old? They play about half the notes they used to. It's getting to be a shorthand. Play the opening riff, wait for the rubes to get excited, and then chug through.

Is it just to see them, and be in their presence? It can't be about the delivery of the music. I understand the bucket listers. See the legends before they fall. Those people barely know who is up on stage anymore. But what does the serious concert goer get out of it?

I get a lot out of it. Sorry you don't.

Please explain. It can't be the execution of the music. Are you someone that just wants to pay a lot of money to be in their presence? Baby boomer nostalgia? I get that they're practically the only top flight band left from the 60s. (Though seriously depleted). Is it the repetitiveness? I finally stopped going to Stones concerts (a band I love), after seeing them in 2013. The magic was gone. It was there in 1999, and kept slipping.

I agree with every word you wrote. Well said. However I feel the majority of other fans posting here will disagree. The sense I have is that, for many, the band can do no wrong. And for as long as The Stones perform, their presence on stage will be sufficient to generate excitement and passion. Good luck to everyone who feels that. And I sincerely hope they enjoy the next tour - if there is one - as much as ever.

For me, I'm afraid the excitement is long gone. Maybe I'm spoilt because I saw The Stones when they were still at the leading edge of musical progression. When they were true pioneers. I find it sad to see them - or what is left of them - going through the motions now. Because that is what it feels like to me. I think you summarised it rather well in fact when you wrote 'Play the opening riff, wait for the rubes to get excited, and then chug through'. That was exactly how it felt to me when I saw them last time.

However I do not want to come over all judgemental or critical here. May ALL fans continue to enjoy The Stones, whenever, wherever and however the want to. It is a big old world, with a lot of different views, perspectives and opinions in it.

Long may it continue...

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 24, 2023 04:12

GerardHennessy
24FPS
NashvilleBlues
24FPS
It's hard to get excited about 'new' tours. I call the last one the Out of Time Tour because it was the only highlight. Does anyone really think they're going to deliver the ground-in-the-dirt warhorses in a new, novel, electrifying way? Does it matter if they start off with SFM, or JJF. It's sad when novel is considered starting off with You Got Me Rocking, which is close to 30-years-old? They play about half the notes they used to. It's getting to be a shorthand. Play the opening riff, wait for the rubes to get excited, and then chug through.

Is it just to see them, and be in their presence? It can't be about the delivery of the music. I understand the bucket listers. See the legends before they fall. Those people barely know who is up on stage anymore. But what does the serious concert goer get out of it?

Please explain. It can't be the execution of the music. Are you someone that just wants to pay a lot of money to be in their presence? Baby boomer nostalgia? I get that they're practically the only top flight band left from the 60s. (Though seriously depleted). Is it the repetitiveness? I finally stopped going to Stones concerts (a band I love), after seeing them in 2013. The magic was gone. It was there in 1999, and kept slipping.

I agree with every word you wrote. Well said. However I feel the majority of other fans posting here will disagree. The sense I have is that, for many, the band can do no wrong. And for as long as The Stones perform, their presence on stage will be sufficient to generate excitement and passion. Good luck to everyone who feels that. And I sincerely hope they enjoy the next tour - if there is one - as much as ever.

For me, I'm afraid the excitement is long gone. Maybe I'm spoilt because I saw The Stones when they were still at the leading edge of musical progression. When they were true pioneers. I find it sad to see them - or what is left of them - going through the motions now. Because that is what it feels like to me. I think you summarised it rather well in fact when you wrote 'Play the opening riff, wait for the rubes to get excited, and then chug through'. That was exactly how it felt to me when I saw them last time.

However I do not want to come over all judgemental or critical here. May ALL fans continue to enjoy The Stones, whenever, wherever and however the want to. It is a big old world, with a lot of different views, perspectives and opinions in it.

Long may it continue...

We know the excitement is gone for you. We have been reading that for ages. Please tell us something we don't already know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-24 09:36 by daspyknows.

Posted by: Bosmatic1 ()
Date: March 24, 2023 04:57

This is all getting pretty negative dudes. Can’t we just all be friends? I mean if you’re not excited why post on the thread? If we get a tour, great. Are they gonna play like they did in 67? 77? 87? 97? See where I’m going? No, they’re gonna play like how they do today and that’s the only thing possible by anyone who is alive now. Personally, if it happens I’m gonna be there and I’m gonna consider myself bloody lucky to be so. Go and watch them play Fool to Cry on YouTube from the last show of the most recent tour and tell me it’s not @#$%& amazing!

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: March 24, 2023 07:57

paulywaul
bv
Every song at their shows is a highlight for me. It is the same band I fell in love with in 1971. Sure they are missing some old band members, sure they can be rusty. Still, most of the time, the shows are not just great, they are another memory for life.

I am a fan, and I love then just like I have loved them all these years. I will for sure follow them on tour as long as I can, until they- or me- can't do it anymore. I am really looking forward to the new announcement, it will be the best tour in years. Anyone who went on the tour last year will know what I am talking about. Then add the new album.

Indeed, most certainly do understand what you're talking about. I saw them five times on the 2022 tour, and for me - the excitement and the thrill was just as much there then, in much the same way as was/it has been for pretty much every Stones show I have ever attended, and my first was Knebworth back in 1976.

YIKES ! Now I feel f***ing old. Not as old as them maybe, but er ..... old nevertheless !!

Hey Paulywauly!
My first Stones show ever was also Knebworth 76!

Date: March 24, 2023 15:29

Bosmatic1
This is all getting pretty negative dudes. Can’t we just all be friends? I mean if you’re not excited why post on the thread? If we get a tour, great. Are they gonna play like they did in 67? 77? 87? 97? See where I’m going? No, they’re gonna play like how they do today and that’s the only thing possible by anyone who is alive now. Personally, if it happens I’m gonna be there and I’m gonna consider myself bloody lucky to be so. Go and watch them play Fool to Cry on YouTube from the last show of the most recent tour and tell me it’s not @#$%& amazing!

Good for you. I hope you enjoy every single second. Sincerely! As I have posted earlier 'May ALL fans continue to enjoy The Stones, whenever, wherever and however the want to. It is a big old world, with a lot of different views, perspectives and opinions in it.

Long may it continue...
'

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: March 24, 2023 15:52

GerardHennessy
Bosmatic1

Good for you. I hope you enjoy every single second. Sincerely! As I have posted earlier 'May ALL fans continue to enjoy The Stones, whenever, wherever and however the want to. It is a big old world, with a lot of different views, perspectives and opinions in it.

Long may it continue...
'

Gerard - You're correct in all you say but it is a bit of a buzz kill. Just sayin...

Date: March 24, 2023 15:55

daspyknows
GerardHennessy
24FPS
NashvilleBlues
24FPS

Long may it continue...

We know the excitement is gone for you. We have been reading that for ages. Please tell us something we don't already know.

Aaah yes! NOW I understand. This forum is reserved exclusively for those who feel the same excitement I once felt rather a long time ago. In effect IORR exists entirely for the purpose of unquestioning worship and adoration. For the giving of thanks that the band can still stand upright on stage and crank out the big hits!

Surely not1 This is a site for ALL Rolling Stones fans to air our views in a respectful and honest way. In a spirit of constructive discussion. Yes I am still a Rolling Stones fan. I retain an enormous respect, admiration AND GRATITUDE to the band for more days, weeks, months and years of pleasure than for any other band or performer. Does that mean I think everything they do, performance wise, is perfect? Absolutely not. I would not patronise the band by giving unquestioning praise when I don't feel it is deserved. But I also make a point, again and again, of respecting the differing views of others, and wishing them every iota of the same pleasure I once felt. If they still experience it, then good luck to them.

In making the points I do, it is NOT to bang on in a critical way. It is to celebrate the fact that Rolling Stones fans embrace many different age groups, cultures, nationalities, perspectives and beliefs. Long may it continue.

Beyond their music, The Stones have made one HUGE contribution to this world. That of bringing people together under one banner. We are ALL fans, each in our own unique way, of the Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band In The World. The fact that we may differ in our views about how well they now perform, the varying quality of different recordings, preferences for the work they produced in different eras, or the merits and demerits of different band members, is all evidence of one indisputable fact. The Rolling Stones MATTER to an awful lot of people.

Surely that is something we can ALL agree on!

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 24, 2023 17:01

GerardHennessy
daspyknows
GerardHennessy
24FPS
NashvilleBlues
24FPS

Long may it continue...

Aaah yes! NOW I understand. This forum is reserved exclusively for those who feel the same excitement I once felt rather a long time ago. In effect IORR exists entirely for the purpose of unquestioning worship and adoration. For the giving of thanks that the band can still stand upright on stage and crank out the big hits!

Surely not1 This is a site for ALL Rolling Stones fans to air our views in a respectful and honest way. In a spirit of constructive discussion. Yes I am still a Rolling Stones fan. I retain an enormous respect, admiration AND GRATITUDE to the band for more days, weeks, months and years of pleasure than for any other band or performer. Does that mean I think everything they do, performance wise, is perfect? Absolutely not. I would not patronise the band by giving unquestioning praise when I don't feel it is deserved. But I also make a point, again and again, of respecting the differing views of others, and wishing them every iota of the same pleasure I once felt. If they still experience it, then good luck to them.

In making the points I do, it is NOT to bang on in a critical way. It is to celebrate the fact that Rolling Stones fans embrace many different age groups, cultures, nationalities, perspectives and beliefs. Long may it continue.

Beyond their music, The Stones have made one HUGE contribution to this world. That of bringing people together under one banner. We are ALL fans, each in our own unique way, of the Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band In The World. The fact that we may differ in our views about how well they now perform, the varying quality of different recordings, preferences for the work they produced in different eras, or the merits and demerits of different band members, is all evidence of one indisputable fact. The Rolling Stones MATTER to an awful lot of people.

It is but it sure gets old seeing every post you make says the same thing, that you are over the Stones, will not go see them again and you show disdain for all those going. There are bands and other things I am over but do I post over and over again that I am done with it? No. If someone is calling you out, go for it but please stop reminding us you aren't going to shows any more. WE ALL KNOW THAT YOU AREN'T GOING.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: March 24, 2023 17:20

Gerard-I actually enjoy and appreciate your honest opinions. Much appreciated on my end. And in general, not just on this site, I hate when honesty is labeled "negative". I don't view your posts as negative, bit more truthful.

Date: March 24, 2023 17:40

I have learned to ignore the negativity here. I know some have left because of it and it is tough being new on here and that probably deters some from coming here.

A few ran Chris out of here. Of all people. He works for Ticketmaster and was a great source for information.

TumblinDice76
Gerard-I actually enjoy and appreciate your honest opinions. Much appreciated on my end. And in general, not just on this site, I hate when honesty is labeled "negative". I don't view your posts as negative, bit more truthful.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: March 24, 2023 17:45

daspyknows
GerardHennessy
daspyknows
GerardHennessy
24FPS
NashvilleBlues
24FPS

Long may it continue...

It is but it sure gets old seeing every post you make says the same thing, that you are over the Stones, will not go see them again and you show disdain for all those going. There are bands and other things I am over but do I post over and over again that I am done with it? No. If someone is calling you out, go for it but please stop reminding us you aren't going to shows any more. WE ALL KNOW THAT YOU AREN'T GOING.

Insightful post for sure and well said Daspy. Every person has the right to voice their beliefs or opinions, be it postive or negative and that's fine either way. I do feel the constant negativity can get out of hand at times but for me, seeing the Rolling Stones on tour is always a positive and enjoyable time. Of course they don't play like they did 30 or so years ago but who expects that anyway? I go to see the band and watch the Rolling Stones as the legendary band I grew up with. As long as they're performing, I'll always make an effort to see them. It others happen to say and be over with the Stones, then so be it. As for me and I'm sure many others, as long as they play, I'll be watching and listening and cheering them on.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-24 22:04 by RSbestbandever.

Posted by: steffialicia ()
Date: March 24, 2023 17:48

TumblinDice76

It's also honesty when you might say "you look fat in that dress." It's honest, but it's hurtful. Gerard is entitled to all he is feeling. I just believe that a thread, which concerns an upcoming tour, is not necessarily the place to express all that has been lost so to speak. Some of us are the glass is half full sort of people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-03-24 17:50 by steffialicia.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 24, 2023 18:17

If you are not happy living with your partner, you split up and move on in life, at some point.

If you are not happy with your favorite band anymore, then separation is not an option. Complaining will always be an option.

Still, this is a thread about the new TOUR 2023. I don't understand why some choose to complain about missing band members, performance errors and so on in a thread dedicated to an upcoming tour. Starting a thread about why the old days were better would be more natural.

Bjornulf

Date: March 24, 2023 19:00

Curious if there had been any rumours regarding opening acts for the supposed 2023 tour.
Considering it was nearly official before the announcement was postponed last month, surely there must have been some acts that were on the list?
Maybe the terrible Ghost Hounds again? Hope not! Now with more time on their hands, hopefully the Stones will pick some decent acts if the tour eventually does moves forward.
Hope it does, and hoping for the best in regards to the health of the band - seems some (such as Ronnie) are more ready and able than others. Positive vibes and healing thoughts to all involved...

Posted by: angee ()
Date: March 24, 2023 19:03

steffialicia and bv, good posts, well said.

The negativity is so wearing. It also implies all the rest of us are dumb, brainwashed rubes.

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: March 24, 2023 19:37

I'm probably in the minority with this unpopular, even heretical opinion, but to me, the tempos sounded tighter with Steve Jordan. In a way, it brought a new dimension to the live sound. On the other hand, at times I caught myself thinking I didn't even notice Charlie was no longer there.

I went six times last year and it was still a very, very good time.

Where else in the world would you want to be if the Stones are on stage and you're there? At home listening to El Mocambo?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...9293949596979899100101102...LastNext
Current Page: 97 of 123

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1753
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home