Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8
Re: OT: Aerosmith stuff
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 4, 2023 19:26

RnT
Thanks Bye Bye Johnny.

" A midshow run of bluesy deep cuts — including the wintry “Seasons of Wither” a thundering “Rats in the Cellar” stretched out with guitar jams, and a cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “Stop Messin’ Around” with Perry on lead vocals — seemed to test the crowd’s patience; the energy in the room was restored by the schlocky ballad “I Don’t Want To Miss a Thing.”

Can you believe it? The same problem as the Stones have when playing deep cuts...

RnT
As someone that was there, they could have benefited from a better ordering. I LOVED it, but 5 songs in a row that most of the audience doesn't know, when you have so many other hits. They could have kept the crowd up with better pacing. Rag Doll to I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing was hard for casuals, but great for hardcores. Although Rats In The Cellar was not a great rendition.

Date: September 4, 2023 22:11

<Rag Doll to I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing was hard for casuals, but great for hardcores>

Isn't it the other way around? The hard cores don't necessarily love any of those songs. I love Rag Doll myself, though.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: September 4, 2023 22:46

We are well into the streaming era, I think people are overestimating the divide between band eras. Fans know they have a distinct 1970's era and are going to play songs from it. Not sure what the demographic at this show ws but I know a lot more kids are getting into them and they aren't buying Pump and the Armageddon soundtrack.

Going to listen to the boot now but looks good on paper. Except Cryin' into Janie so early. It would take at least Adam's Apple to wake me up.

In Vegas I do remember some dude Cryin' during Hangman Jury they aren't playing anything he knows. That album sold 5 million out the gate and who knows how many since.

I just wish they were popular or motivated enough to do a no repeat weekend!

Posted by: ultimaterocker ()
Date: September 4, 2023 23:35

Dan
We are well into the streaming era, I think people are overestimating the divide between band eras. Fans know they have a distinct 1970's era and are going to play songs from it. Not sure what the demographic at this show ws but I know a lot more kids are getting into them and they aren't buying Pump and the Armageddon soundtrack.

Going to listen to the boot now but looks good on paper. Except Cryin' into Janie so early. It would take at least Adam's Apple to wake me up.

In Vegas I do remember some dude Cryin' during Hangman Jury they aren't playing anything he knows. That album sold 5 million out the gate and who knows how many since.

I just wish they were popular or motivated enough to do a no repeat weekend!

Agreed - this is a very well balanced setlist for an Aerosmith show in 2023. You have a good handful of deep album tracks (Adams Apple, No More No More, Movin Out, Rats in the Cellar, Seasons of Wither) the 70s classics (Saddle, Toys, Dream On, Walk this Way, Sweet Emotion) and enough MTV hits to keep the casuals happy (Elevator, Rag Doll, Cryin, Livin on the Edge, IDWMAT, Janie’s Got a Gun).

Could they add another song - sure. But I will be very happy if I get this next week in Toronto. From what I heard in videos Steven and the band sound great and ready to roll for this tour!

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: September 5, 2023 13:03

I'll see them at the very last show (if they don't add dates) in Montreal.

Date: September 5, 2023 16:35

DandelionPowderman

Isn't it the other way around? The hard cores don't necessarily love any of those songs. I love Rag Doll myself, though.

Meaning the 5 deeper cuts in between those two hits were challenging for an audience. I loved the songs in between those 2 as a hardcore.

Date: September 5, 2023 16:39

RollingFreak
DandelionPowderman

Meaning the 5 deeper cuts in between those two hits were challenging for an audience. I loved the songs in between those 2 as a hardcore.

Ah, gotcha smiling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: September 5, 2023 18:12

bye bye johnny

That is awesome!!!

Date: September 5, 2023 18:18

DandelionPowderman
I just checked on how Aerosmith were doing, and quickly found out that it's not only our boys who flub notes grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

WOW that was awful!!! He couldn't hear THE ENTIRE INTRO was in the wrong key????!!!!????

Date: September 5, 2023 18:24

RollingFreak
GasLightStreet
tatters
I saw them for the 5th and final time 43 years ago. Don't really see any point in going to one last show this late in the game.

All of what you describe sounds like zero fun. They've had excellent tunes since you last saw them.

It won't top the 70s, but for what its worth Steven still sounds amazing and they put on a great show if you are an Aerosmith fan.

Yes they do a shorter show, but if thats how Steven maintains I'd rather that. I'd rather more years than destroying his voice, though I will agree I wish the setlist was more varied. They do play a decent amount of deep cuts, more than they have to, but there's about half the set they play every night when they have enough hits to switch those out and no one would be upset. I got Janie's Got A Gun the other night and that was the first time I'd heard it in 4 times of seeing them! They could also switch up the locations of Sweet Emotion, Walk This Way and Dream On.

But again, thats nitpicking. Its a solid show, if not too expensive. I do think this tour will extend to Europe. I really can't imagine they're playing the whole "farewell" card just to play 40 dates in the US. I'd think Europe, then maybe South America if they are big enough there, then wrap it all up with like 5-10 east coast shows. I don't know how they don't end in Boston, I'm guessing at Fenway. I'd like to see Joey Kramer play with them this tour too. Cause I love that its 4 of the 5 but this was also the first show I've seen where it wasn't all 5, and I did love that.

When I went and saw McCartney in 2019 I was floored - and so glad I went to see him.

Aerosmith isn't coming to New Orleans so whatever. Money's really tight right now anyway - I'm not going to see anyone no matter what.

But if they were I'd probably find a way.

Date: September 5, 2023 18:24

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
I just checked on how Aerosmith were doing, and quickly found out that it's not only our boys who flub notes grinning smiley

[www.youtube.com]

WOW that was awful!!! He couldn't hear THE ENTIRE INTRO was in the wrong key????!!!!????

Tyler had to tell him, eventually smiling smiley

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 5, 2023 18:34

They dress and act much cooler than Stones. Pirate/cowboy - a dangerous gang!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 5, 2023 19:01

RnT
Thanks Bye Bye Johnny.

" A midshow run of bluesy deep cuts — including the wintry “Seasons of Wither” a thundering “Rats in the Cellar” stretched out with guitar jams, and a cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “Stop Messin’ Around” with Perry on lead vocals — seemed to test the crowd’s patience; the energy in the room was restored by the schlocky ballad “I Don’t Want To Miss a Thing.”

Can you believe it? The same problem as the Stones have when playing deep cuts...

RnT

Would love to hear this live - my absolute favorite of theirs! Is it really that obscure? It used to be played on the rock radio stations pretty regularly growing up.....

Date: September 5, 2023 19:23

They have played Seasons of Wither a good amount the last 15 years but looking over their entire career it is definitely on the rarer side.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 5, 2023 19:35

I've seen them twice. Once on the GAG tour, and once in '15? I think it was? Near Boston - that was a great show. Slash opened, and came out to play Mama Kin with them, and then Johnny Depp came out to play as well.

Date: September 5, 2023 23:10

VoodooLounge13
RnT
Thanks Bye Bye Johnny.

RnT

Would love to hear this live - my absolute favorite of theirs! Is it really that obscure? It used to be played on the rock radio stations pretty regularly growing up.....

ultimaterocker
They have played Seasons of Wither a good amount the last 15 years but looking over their entire career it is definitely on the rarer side.

They have a lot of songs that feel like they should be rare and aren't that much. They're still deeper cuts though. The deep cuts in Philly were:

-Adam's Apple - besides 1 play in 2019, it hadn't been played since 2009. Legit "rarity"
-No More No More - kinda rare but still in their top 40 most played live songs. I've caught it 3 times. Always a great deep cut to throw in but not super "rare"
-Hangman Jury, Seasons Of Wither, Rats In The Cellar - Deep cuts but played relatively frequently.
-Movin' Out - second rarest song of the night they played. It comes out infrequently, but does make appearances every now and then because its legit the first song they ever wrote together. So it comes out about once or twice a tour on average.

8 of the songs played on Saturday are in their top 10 most frequently played songs. 4 more in the top 20. Then you get the 6 I listed above, 3 of which are in their top 30 most played songs live. So you always kinda know what you're getting, but they rotate things pretty nicely. I hear like 5 different songs each time I see Aerosmith, but that more speaks to how many hits they have. The following could always easily be swapped in and everyone knows them:

-Draw The Line
-Same Old Song And Dance
-Mama Kin
-Last Child
-Dude Looks Like A Lady
-What It Takes
-Eat The Rich
-Jaded or Pink

Bastards have a lot of hits. Then they've got songs like Angel, Crazy, The Other Side and Amazing that they don't even play much but I'd venture to say almost everyone knows. Their shows could be wall to wall hits, and to their credit, similar to the Stones, they always have a healthy amount of album cuts in the show. Usually culled from a decent list of reliable deep cuts, but also occasionally some legit surprises.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 6, 2023 00:27

The Road Starts Hear is a great early live album. Movin’ Out (mentioned above) is fantastic on TRSH. Check it out if you haven’t already.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: September 6, 2023 00:36

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman

[www.youtube.com]

Tyler had to tell him, eventually smiling smiley

Like our Keith, Joe has to be drunk or Stoned or both to not realise he's completely out here.
But man Tyler can still sing strong at 75.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-09-06 00:37 by keefriffhards.

Date: September 6, 2023 04:48

Steven Tyler publicly said he should make more than the other guys and, while its not polite to say that, he's absolutely not wrong. Its the same way I've always said Jagger should. Or that there's an argument there. There's no reason he needs to, but the shows of these respective bands live or die on how good Jagger and Tyler are. Richards and Perry got points just for being alive on stage, and listen I wouldn't go to a Rolling Stones show Keith Richards isn't at (I'm not going if Charlie Watts isn't there), but I don't think objectively he deserves equal pay.

Date: September 6, 2023 06:35

RollingFreak
Steven Tyler publicly said he should make more than the other guys and, while its not polite to say that, he's absolutely not wrong. Its the same way I've always said Jagger should. Or that there's an argument there. There's no reason he needs to, but the shows of these respective bands live or die on how good Jagger and Tyler are. Richards and Perry got points just for being alive on stage, and listen I wouldn't go to a Rolling Stones show Keith Richards isn't at (I'm not going if Charlie Watts isn't there), but I don't think objectively he deserves equal pay.

Alternately they are only doing 2 shows a week because that's all Tyler can sing.

But it's up to them to decide if they can live with it or not. Some people (Izzy) do in fact walk if they don't like the deal.

To be honest I would be happy seeing Joe and Brad play together with anyone but hopefully not Gary Cherone.

Date: September 6, 2023 22:12

Dan
RollingFreak

Alternately they are only doing 2 shows a week because that's all Tyler can sing.

But it's up to them to decide if they can live with it or not. Some people (Izzy) do in fact walk if they don't like the deal.

To be honest I would be happy seeing Joe and Brad play together with anyone but hopefully not Gary Cherone.

Sure, but also I'm sure we'd all rather a GOOD show from Steven than if they were more hit or miss. If thats what he needs, and he's the show, its hard to argue you against it.

Personally, the GNR situation I think is very different. Yes, Izzy adds very little to what's onstage, but he also wrote all the songs they play every single night. And my biggest gripe with it, is they felt Duff should get more than Izzy which I think is absurd. I get why Axl and Slash would, and probably should, but Duff being slightly more visible than Izzy should be matched by what Izzy has written and is played every night IMO. He shouldn't get less than Duff cause no one really cares that Duff is there.

In the end, I'm happy the Aerosmith members make the same money. They probably should, but Steven really is superhuman there in a very similar way to Mick Jagger.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: September 6, 2023 22:45

Bjorn
They dress and act much cooler than Stones. Pirate/cowboy - a dangerous gang!

Erm .....no they don't. They look exactly like they did in the 70s, but they are now in their 70s. They look a little silly. I still love them though..

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: September 8, 2023 02:27

18 songs?

Date: September 8, 2023 04:30

19 night two (same set but added Same Old Song and Dance as the 2nd song)

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: September 8, 2023 15:34

birdie
18 songs?

I seem to recall another band that plays 18-19 songs per show, but I can’t remember who…

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: September 8, 2023 17:04

NashvilleBlues
birdie
18 songs?

I seem to recall another band that plays 18-19 songs per show, but I can’t remember who…

Yes,I thinks it’s crazy that these older bands with such an extensive catalog play so few songs.

Date: September 8, 2023 17:11

birdie
NashvilleBlues
birdie
18 songs?

Yes,I thinks it’s crazy that these older bands with such an extensive catalog play so few songs.

I mean, they're old guys so its understandable that 2 hours is the max. Honestly, I think Aerosmith does a pretty good job with their song selection. Its about 1/2 deep cuts, maybe a 1/3. Thats pretty good when it could be just wall to wall hits. The Stones are pretty decent as well, some better than other times. The last time I saw them they did She's A Rainbow, Sweet Virginia, Dead Flowers, a few others. The rest of the show is pretty much all hits, but they drop a few rarities in that you've maybe never seen. But Aerosmith is a nice mix if they're only gonna play 2 hours. I think its more than fair.

Date: September 8, 2023 17:13

birdie
NashvilleBlues
birdie
18 songs?

It's even more crazy that they're playing more songs now than when they were 30 smiling smiley

Date: September 8, 2023 18:20

ultimaterocker
19 night two (same set but added Same Old Song and Dance as the 2nd song)

That's great, I only expected it to get shorter and I suspect there will indeed be a few show that are.

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: September 11, 2023 18:01

New York 09/09/23 ( a date that works for both us Europeans and you Yanks!)

Back in the Saddle

Walking the Dog

Rag Doll

Livin' on the Edge

Janie's Got a Gun

No More No More

Cryin'

Adam's Apple

Seasons of Wither

Movin' Out

Love in an Elevator

Bright Light Fright!!!!!!!!!!

I Don't Want to Miss a Thing

Rats in the Cellar

Sweet Emotion

Toys in the Attic

Encore:
Dream On

Walk This Way

Happy Birthday to You

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 7 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home