Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: "She saw me coming" ruined by the chorus...
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 15, 2005 21:49

Charlie's drumming is out of control on I Go Wild! Kick ass rocker!

Posted by: Chas ()
Date: November 15, 2005 21:50

I Go Wild--ruined by the chorus. Good Riff. I Go...Wild?? and: Out of Control. I'm Out, Out of Control. A lot of build up to a sad chorus. Good jam towards the end when played live, though. Where does Mick come up w/ this stuff? The only older chorus I might mention is Hot Stuff but I usually am enjoying the groove too much.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 15, 2005 21:54

i don't really hear similarities between IGW and SSMC, so not sure of your question.

Date: November 15, 2005 22:03

Good songs w/ bad choruses...

Date: November 15, 2005 22:04

well I consider them good songs with good choruses - so sue me.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 15, 2005 22:16

I actually think they are of a piece and sound very similar, and I wonder what others hear as their stones precedents, b/c I can't think of any. I do mean musically, though I agree that the main lyrics share an elementary nature. I think since VL the stones have turned toward AC/DC-style frat rock territory when they want to do a hard rock thing. For that, I prefer the dense sound of the Dirty Work album than this kind of cotton candy. But clearly there are a lot of stones fans who like it, so mick is pushing the right buttons.

A song that "IGW" reminds me of: "Gonna Get You" from Pete Townshend's Empty Glass. Like the album but not that song so much, though it works up a bigger climax than either of these 2.

"Hot Stuff" is up-front about its campiness, and (to me) is much more truly stonesy because of it. "yahhhh." Plus it's going in what was then a new musical direction, totally different in that respect, not really in the same group I mean.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 15, 2005 22:16

I'm with you, T & A.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: November 15, 2005 22:37

SSMC is a great tune but damn that repetition! If they had simply left out the phrase "she saw me coming" on a few bars it would have been killer. The end for example... The chorus repeats right up until the end of the fadeout. Thats just totally unnecessary. They should have just let the guitar groove ride it out.

Re: She saw me coming ... yes she did, yes she did! :E
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 15, 2005 22:44

it sounds like they came up with it standing on one foot.
it sounds like a bona fide full-blast Jagger/Richards collaboration.
it sounds like a catharsis, and a good hilarious heartfelt one at that. i love the damn thing!
right on the grid right on the grid :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Date: November 15, 2005 23:52

T&A: hey it's just an opinion. I'm glad to have a place to come and over analyze Stones minutiae.

Date: November 16, 2005 00:03

absolutely - i'm pretty much just here to incite and annoy anyway

Posted by: 4tylix ()
Date: November 16, 2005 00:54

drake as usual is spot on...the outro chant especially overdoes it and again, the chorus (or chant) should have been dropped 3-4 times...still a really cool Stonesy tune (reminds me of Black and Blue)

that said, if they play this one live and tone down that chorus and go into some real guitar play, I'll guarantee there will be converts.

Also, I can see the comparison to I Go Wild...and I absolutely LOVE IGW...was incredible on the VL tour!

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 16, 2005 01:09

i think to compare SSMC to IGW and OOF for the iterativity of the chorus is a good point
but I do think SSMC gains groove and swagger from it while IGW and OOC are weakened by it
Why?
Don't know i think most of it is a matter of taste of course
but
one reason can be for me that SSMC is more of a punkish beat and the focus is much more on the groove. the simple structure in this context seems to be a value
the other 2 songs seem to be more farfetching and structured and - IMHO - both fail short of it
anyway i kind of like OOC aapart from the two note chorus
while i really never dig IGW at all

SSMC is my favourite song from ABB along with LIND, it was so the first time i heard the whole album. it still is now after almost 3 months

beside that ABB - with all its weak moments - still rates higher than VL and B2B for me

why? it is as simple as that.
I ask myself how many songs i wish i could hear live from that album?
the answer is:
RJ, IWTL, BOMH, SSMC, ONNYA, LIND, Infamy and LWTCDI
while i must admit that for VL is mainly the bsides and some outtakes that i dig and maybe just LIS, BNC, MD and T&T
and for B2B is just FTS, TITN and TT

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: November 16, 2005 01:11

and of course I'D LOVE TO HEAR SSMC LIVE!!! grinning smiley

i even think it would be great as an opener

Date: November 16, 2005 02:18

whoa! maybe I'm retarded but I get lost with all the initials sometimes.

If it feels good, it's good! ABB feels better to me than the previous LPs. Turn it up!

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: November 16, 2005 04:51

a great tune. next bitch?

Date: November 16, 2005 05:12

I'll give it an 8.Maybe 8 and a half.Definitely not the worst song on the album.I'd say the fourth best of the 16.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1364
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home