Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: The Curious Chronicles of Villa Nellcote - New unique book out now
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 10, 2022 16:39

Honestman
"[email protected]: Intriguing question, isn´t it? I remember I asked Dom if he still had his camera a few years back and I remember he laughed and said he either had lost it or it was stolen?

Hi G, I second the demand

FWIW...
a few years ago I spoke to D.T. about his camera. He told me he still had and it was in need of a repair. Problem was all the repair-persons he spoke to told him there were parts to be replaced and DT wanted to keep his camera in its original "1971" form.
He also told me he shot a more than respectable amount of films during that summer (roughly 600) and Keith paid the entire bill! thumbs up

Btw Geir thanks for the detail explanation of the kind of color film DT used at Nellcote. Now it makes sense to me how he got that weird look.
(the pic of Keith in the basement, cans on ears, bathed in a blue/green halo haunted me ever since I saw it in 1990).

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: July 3, 2022 20:43

To kickstart the summer vacation, here are two more colorized Nellcote photos from around 1900! Look at those lush colours...
This is the approach road and northern facade from when the villa was constructed.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 4, 2022 00:27

Absolutely stunning!!!

Posted by: nowlook ()
Date: August 12, 2022 08:27

I just bought my copy. After seeing the boys in Lyon and Paris, been in front of the Villa, I am looking forward to receive it home, in Brazil. Hope it comes autographed!

Date: August 15, 2022 14:03

nowlook
I just bought my copy. After seeing the boys in Lyon and Paris, been in front of the Villa, I am looking forward to receive it home, in Brazil. Hope it comes autographed!

Hey nowlook, it was probably your order that I signed and shipped to Brazil this weekend smiling smiley

Since we are among friends, I hope it is ok to show a few images of my recent visit to Nellcote, a dream come true.
I was "secretly" being shown around the property for about twenty minutes. The furniture are selected pieces from the Stones era.

The reason for visiting was to give the owner my book. He was not there, so I had a "letter of recommendation" with me (which every gentleman should carry in his back pocket) winking smiley
Originally, I had sent the book to the owner by Fedex, but it was returned to me bc Western literature was not allowed into Russia last December (!). The situation probably still applies.

Date: August 15, 2022 14:15

As soon as the owner gets into your book, you'll be invited inside, Geir thumbs up

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 15, 2022 16:46

Stunning pictures! Congratulations Geir!

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: August 17, 2022 16:28

great book, didnt know my hometown (zurich, switzerland) kinda played a role in the history of the villa. very nicely done, great paperquality, nice layout, fantastic pictures. go and buy it!! geir seems to be a very nice person and delivery was super easy!

Date: August 17, 2022 16:40

Fabulous photos Geir, and thanks for the advice of carrying a 'letter of recommendation' in my back pocket at all times, which I shall endeavour to do!

Date: November 9, 2022 13:08

Yay! Anybody want to team up in Villefranche-sur-Mer this weekend?

I will be presenting the book in the Old town of Villefranche both Friday and Saturday evening. Adresses: Riviera Kings (1 Henry Blais) from 19-21 Friday evening then at Arthouse 11 (11 Rue du Poilu) at 19-21 Saturday.
Rare mementoes from the book will be brought, including the original phonebook from Nellcote in 1971. I have been told to talk, point and not look awkward. We´ll see...
Please feel free to stop by then, or drop me a line if you want to grab a daytime coffee?

The Nellcote Chronicles has now reached lovely creatures in 37 countries across the world. Thank you to each and everyone here at IORR! My ambitious aim is three additional countries before Christmas - so if you know of any Stones-fans in Iceland, Portugal, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia or Lichtenstein - I am dying to get in touch with them! A wild Christmas deal is guaranteed smiling smiley

g.

Date: November 9, 2022 13:18

It hurts to miss this one! Hopefully some kind, lucky soul will take lots of pics and provide a detailed report. Have fun!

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2022 17:30

RobberBride

I will be presenting the book in the Old town of Villefranche both Friday and Saturday evening. Adresses: Riviera Kings (1 Henry Blais) from 19-21 Friday evening then at Arthouse 11 (11 Rue du Poilu) at 19-21 Saturday.
Rare mementoes from the book will be brought, including the original phonebook from Nellcote in 1971. I have been told to talk, point and not look awkward. We´ll see...
Please feel free to stop by then, or drop me a line if you want to grab a daytime coffee?

The Nellcote Chronicles has now reached lovely creatures in 37 countries across the world. Thank you to each and everyone here at IORR! My ambitious aim is three additional countries before Christmas - so if you know of any Stones-fans in Iceland, Portugal, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia or Lichtenstein - I am dying to get in touch with them! A wild Christmas deal is guaranteed smiling smiley

g.

Very cool RB, congratulations. You should set up a ZOOM call for all IORRians that cannot be there that want to chat with you. GO INTERNATIONAL!

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: November 9, 2022 20:42

RobberBride

g.

Congratulations Geir.

Date: November 10, 2022 01:43

treaclefingers

Very cool RB, congratulations. You should set up a ZOOM call for all IORRians that cannot be there that want to chat with you. GO INTERNATIONAL!

A damn fine idea!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 10, 2022 16:52

Oops, barely missed that as I drove by Nellcote for the first time just two weeks ago ! Apart from the massive gate I must say it was a bit underwhelming since there's no way to peep through to catch a glimpse of the house. I wasn't expecting the railroad track to be just next to grounds either.

To make up for it we visited the wonderful Villa Kyrilos just down the road in Beaulieu ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 14, 2022 22:00

gotdablouse
I wasn't expecting the railroad track to be just next to grounds

Hey gotdablouse,
Yeah I know what you mean, here’s a postcard from the early 1900s, with the Nellcote gate seen to the right of the train. The house is Villa Figuiers, which is the guesthouse of the Nellcote property today. Think of the noise and smoke these charcoal loaded locomotives emitted. At least the trains are less noisy and there are protective bushes and trees between the tracks and Avenue Louise Bordes today…

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-11-14 22:01 by RobberBride.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: November 22, 2022 00:31

Great postcard, thanks for sharing !
The area is great, need to get out there again one of these days ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: November 22, 2022 14:25

I believe it is only since the current owners took possession that a large blackout sheet has covered the gates. Prior to that it was possible to look through into the gardens and up the driveway.

Date: November 28, 2022 12:43

Manofwealthandtaste
I believe it is only since the current owners took possession that a large blackout sheet has covered the gates. Prior to that it was possible to look through into the gardens and up the driveway.

Yes, you are right, Manofwealthandtaste. The gate was covered with a black curtain in June 2013, when the «Russian» renovation of Nellcote was complete. Not only does the curtain render a visit to the Nellcote gate a less rewarding experience for a promeneur, but the original function of the gate changed, too.

Interestingly, during the Belle Époque, taking a promenade to witness the majestic villas became a favourite hobby of those living in Nice and Villefranche. And not only as a leisurely pastime but as a form of education. Until the late 1800s, villa owners left their gate open to passersby, letting them enter the properties and wander around! This habit, not the discovery of museums, historical districts or ancient buildings, but the wandering around watching contemporary villas being built was an innovative activity of the Niçois. The practice encouraged people to understand the importance of villa architecture. By the time the Brulatours inaugurated the Nellcote gate, however, this ‘openness’ was no longer the trend. Owners had reacted against the increased number of visitors and begun locking the gates and building walls to protect themselves.

From then on, the see-thru gate initiated a peculiar game with passers-by: a game of concealing and revealing, of teasing and taunting. For a century, the gate managed to combine social exclusivity with public display. It let the promeneur gaze at, dream of, and drool over the magnificent villa that was so near, yet so far away. The black curtain that appeared in 2013 ended that contract with its ‘audience’. The playful game of the classes was over. Security cameras and armed guards manifested the new, heightened sense of exclusion.

Posted by: rolling1us ()
Date: January 28, 2023 17:23

Just added the book to my collection. Failed to get it earlier but now i am the lucky owner of a silver edition.

And a great book it is. Enjoy every minute with it and i must make a great compliment to Geir for his marvelous work.

Posted by: bluenote ()
Date: January 28, 2023 17:47

May I ask what the 'silver edition' is?

Date: January 28, 2023 18:03

bluenote
May I ask what the 'silver edition' is?

Second print with the letters on the cover in silver instead of gold like the first edition.

Posted by: bluenote ()
Date: January 28, 2023 19:04

Gotcha! Have that one too actually grinning smiley

Date: January 28, 2023 20:21

bluenote
Gotcha! Have that one too actually grinning smiley

smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 464
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 6295 on November 30, 2021 14:09

Previous page Next page First page IORR home