Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 28
Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: Roadster32 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 11:54

OMG!!!
16 pages of BS.
What the F... did you all expect?
A clone taking over Charlie's Drumseat?
Of course the sound had to change.
Steve is a fine drummer but (luckily) has his own style.
It is impossible to copy an extraordinary musician and by the way you should not even try or you end up like a bad copy.
Maybe Steve will bring in fresh air like Ronnie once did. We will see and time will tell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 11:56 by Roadster32.

Re: The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 22, 2021 11:55

RisingStone
The Mick Taylor-era Stones didn’t sound like the Brian-era Stones. But They were The Rolling Stones.
The Ronnie-era Stones don’t sound like either of these. But they are The Rolling Stones.
The Darryl-era Stones don’t sound like the Bill-era Stones. But they are The Rolling Stones.
The modern Stones (1989-present) don’t sound like the vintage Stones (1962-1982). But they are The Rolling Stones.
The Steve Jones-era Stones don’t sound like the Charlie-era Stones. They can’t and they don’t have to. They are still The Rolling Stones.

My thoughts exactly.

And being old enough, I clearly remember that at every change you mention above there were people claiming that "this is not the Stones anymore, they're finished". Nothing new, it's always been like that!

Date: September 22, 2021 12:02

retired_dog
RisingStone
The Mick Taylor-era Stones didn’t sound like the Brian-era Stones. But They were The Rolling Stones.
The Ronnie-era Stones don’t sound like either of these. But they are The Rolling Stones.
The Darryl-era Stones don’t sound like the Bill-era Stones. But they are The Rolling Stones.
The modern Stones (1989-present) don’t sound like the vintage Stones (1962-1982). But they are The Rolling Stones.
The Steve Jones-era Stones don’t sound like the Charlie-era Stones. They can’t and they don’t have to. They are still The Rolling Stones.

My thoughts exactly.

And being old enough, I clearly remember that at every change you mention above there were people claiming that "this is not the Stones anymore, they're finished". Nothing new, it's always been like that!

this time it is different.
Mick-Keith-Charlie collaboration is irreplaceable.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 12:04

jumpingjackflash5
retired_dog
RisingStone

My thoughts exactly.

Exactly

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 22, 2021 12:19

jumpingjackflash5
retired_dog
RisingStone
The Steve Jordan-era Stones don’t sound like the Charlie-era Stones. They can’t and they don’t have to. They are still The Rolling Stones.

My thoughts exactly.

And there were people who claimed Brian, Mick T and Bill were irreplaceable as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 13:13 by RisingStone.

Date: September 22, 2021 12:28

RisingStone
jumpingjackflash5
retired_dog
RisingStone

My thoughts exactly.

And there were people who claimed Brian, Mick T and Bill were irreplaceable as well.

Yes there were, but listening to the new (although mobile and from the first show) clips it is obvious that the previous changes had much less impact on sound than this one.

Personally, I would be happy if they quit next year after anniversary show and releasing the last album with Charlie's tracks (and possibly one bonus with Jordan on drums).

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 12:29

Why didn’t Keith sing a song at this show

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: September 22, 2021 12:30

mattleeuk
ProfessorWolf
just read through 14 pages and wow all i can say is what a bummer not the band the fans

Sadly it puts many that have opinions based on a first hand experience that would greatly enrich this thread from posting here... I know several people that attended the show on Monday that have posted on this forum before yet we have heard from just one. Sad, Sad, Sad.

It's not so important

Date: September 22, 2021 12:31

Nikkei
mattleeuk
ProfessorWolf
just read through 14 pages and wow all i can say is what a bummer not the band the fans

Sadly it puts many that have opinions based on a first hand experience that would greatly enrich this thread from posting here... I know several people that attended the show on Monday that have posted on this forum before yet we have heard from just one. Sad, Sad, Sad.

It's not so important

Yes maybe throughout the autumn sound will improve a bit.

Posted by: Rocktiludrop ()
Date: September 22, 2021 12:31

Taylor1

Maybe Keiths not that into this sort of private for the money show, the body language was strictly business, he wasn't giving away anymore than the bare minimum.
He wasn't even going to show his hair winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 13:14 by Rocktiludrop.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 22, 2021 12:35

they owe this tour to American audiences, but they should break up afterwards

Date: September 22, 2021 12:39

they owe this tour to American audiences, but they should break up afterwards

thumbs upthumbs up

Before that they can play anniversary shows next year and release that final album. This way they can avoid to end in the future like this [www.youtube.com]

Date: September 22, 2021 12:41

Taylor1

He never does that on the warm up-shows. At least not since 2012 (Le Trabendo, Theatre Mogador, Echoplex, Belly Up etc.).

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: September 22, 2021 12:45

not sure if it has been posted already, anyway

from jagger instagram

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 12:49 by maumau.

Posted by: bradleycsocal ()
Date: September 22, 2021 12:51

I don't want to judge the sound from a cell phone or the people who have unsupportive opinions of The Stones being on the road, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do want to thank everyone for their thoughts, pictures and clips because it made me change my expectations. I have seen 15 shows, a small number to a lot of you and I will see 3 shows on this tour. Now I will not expect them to sound like The Stones of 81, 89, 94 or even 2019. I know they are going to sound like The Stones of 2021, different. With the negativity of comparison out of the way, I will be free to listen to their sound today and enjoy it for what it is.

Date: September 22, 2021 13:04

bradleycsocal
I don't want to judge the sound from a cell phone or the people who have unsupportive opinions of The Stones being on the road, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do want to thank everyone for their thoughts, pictures and clips because it made me change my expectations. I have seen 15 shows, a small number to a lot of you and I will see 3 shows on this tour. Now I will not expect them to sound like The Stones of 81, 89, 94 or even 2019. I know they are going to sound like The Stones of 2021, different. With the negativity of comparison out of the way, I will be free to listen to their sound today and enjoy it for what it is.

The problem is, that if it stays this way, it's not working well and Stones compatible at the drumming department.

Maybe, it they really really want to continue in 2022 "and counting", they should do a real choosing the new drummer. I understand that Mr. Jordan was approved as a substitute for fall tour in unexpected situation, that's ok, he can manage it. But if the Stones really want to have a future and continue, they should consider the possibility to choose a new permanent drummer. Mr. Jordan may be one of the candidates, but they should try also other possible drummers, how the sound will be.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 13:24 by jumpingjackflash5.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: September 22, 2021 13:17

Oops. I’ve just realized I wrongly put “Steve Jones” instead of Jordan upthread. I have amended it in my posts but obviously I can’t do the same in other people’s posts where my comment is quoted. Sorry about this.

Hiring the ex-Sex Pistol would surely change the Stones sound!

Date: September 22, 2021 13:48

jumpingjackflash5
bradleycsocal

The problem is, that if it stays this way, it's not working well and Stones compatible at the drumming department.

Maybe, it they really really want to continue in 2022 "and counting", they should do a real choosing the new drummer. I understand that Mr. Jordan was approved as a substitute for fall tour in unexpected situation, that's ok, he can manage it. But if the Stones really want to have a future and continue, they should consider the possibility to choose a new permanent drummer. Mr. Jordan may be one of the candidates, but they should try also other possible drummers, how the sound will be.

Look mate Steve Jordan is there, he's in, he's onboard, job done, they can finally play these rescheduled dates, health permitting they will do a bunch of shows to celebrate Mick and Keith surviving 60 years in this business next year.

We could say this is a white band from London England and only replace band members with fitting members or only musicians with long thick hair with the right look, but it's so late in the game it's passed all that, we got American band members etc, it's not a purist thing, it's Rock & Roll and I'm happy that all these band members from Karl, Steve, Darryl and Chuck and the backing singers are all pulling their weight and doing the best job possible to keep this band going and hopefully keep it fresh and exciting.

Look at The Who, it's just Roger and Pete now but it's still The Who and audiences are loving seeing them just as they will seeing Mick, Keith and Ronnie and all the band members involved.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 13:51 by Rocktiludrop.

Date: September 22, 2021 13:51

Rocktiludrop
jumpingjackflash5
bradleycsocal

Look mate Steve Jordan is there, he's in, he's onboard, job done, they can finally play these rescheduled dates, health permitting they will do a bunch of shows to celebrate Mick and Keith surviving 60 years in this business next year.

We could say this is a white band from London England and only replace band members with fitting members or only musicians with long thick hair with the right look, but it's so late in the game it's passed all that, we got American band members etc, it's not a purist thing, it's Rock & Roll and I'm happy that all these band members from Karl, Steve, Darryl and Chuck and the backing singers are all pulling their weight and doing the best job possible to keep this band going and hopefully keep it fresh and exciting.

Look at The Who, it's just Roger and Pete now but it's still The Who and audiences are living seeing them just as they will seeing Mick, Keith and Ronnie and all the band members involved.

I have no problem with Mr. Jordan playing the rescheduled shows and anniversary shows next year. He was approved for that temporary replacement Ithis situation. But if Mick and Keith want to continue further, they should do real contest with different drummers, which Mr. Jordan may take part in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 13:52 by jumpingjackflash5.

Date: September 22, 2021 13:57

jumpingjackflash5
Rocktiludrop
jumpingjackflash5
bradleycsocal

Look at The Who, it's just Roger and Pete now but it's still The Who and audiences are living seeing them just as they will seeing Mick, Keith and Ronnie and all the band members involved.

I have no problem with Mr. Jordan playing the rescheduled shows and anniversary shows next year. He was approved for that temporary replacement Ithis situation. But if Mick and Keith want to continue further, they should do real contest with different drummers, which Mr. Jordan may take part in.

Come off it mate, with all due respect they just spent 6 weeks rehursing with him, they don't have the time to audition various drummers and pick a winner and then rehearse the new boy. Savvy.

Date: September 22, 2021 14:01

Rocktiludrop
jumpingjackflash5
Rocktiludrop
jumpingjackflash5
bradleycsocal

Come off it mate, with all due respect they just spent 6 weeks rehursing with him, they don't have the time to audition various drummers and pick a winner and then rehearse the new boy. Savvy.

They did not have that time this year and I said clearly that as a temporary replacement I have no objections to it. But next year, if they want to continue, they will have time to evaluate how they sound with different drummers, and that would be beneficial to do if they decide to continue past anniversary shows.

Posted by: GerardHennessy ()
Date: September 22, 2021 14:03

For me it all seems desperately sad. Not disrespectful or inappropriate or anything so extreme. Just rather sad. And, dare I say it, a little tawdry. At least for me.

Arguments will continue for all time about whether they should, or should not, continue. Whether they are, or are not, The Stones. One thing is definitely true, there is a tremendous amount of passion invested in this topic by an awful lot of people. The Stones can certainly engage the emotions of many many people worldwide.

One thing I have certainly learned over the past few weeks. There in not one single Rolling Stones. There are millions of different Rolling Stones. Every fan has their own personal view on what the Rolling Stones are. For me they will always be the swaggering, impertinent, insouciant group on in-yer-face young men who exploded into my life in 1964 and blew the world apart. Nothing was ever the same again. Naturally I am very possessive of that version of The Stones. But there will be people here for whom it means nothing. And why should it? They will have their memories, their views on what the Rolling Stones should be.

When The Stones started out, they generated an enormous amount of argument, criticism, passion and excitement. In a different way they are STILL doing so 59 years later as we argue between ourselves about what they should and should not do. Sadly for me, the time has come for ME to leave the building. What the band have become is a step too far. A pale retread of what they once were. A corporate entertainment perk to be enjoyed by people who are more interested in showing off to each other than listening to The Greatest Rock 'n'Roll Band In The World. But for anyone who believes differently, I have nothing but respect. Please believe that.

Enjoy them while you can. Because when they finally do go, we will never see or hear anything like them ever again. Never!

Date: September 22, 2021 14:15

<A pale retread of what they once were. A corporate entertainment perk to be enjoyed by people who are more interested in showing off to each other than listening to The Greatest Rock 'n'Roll Band In The World>

Are you talking about the Stones or bands and the music business in general here?

I don't think you can blame the Stones – as 80 year olds – for not «raging on» like they did in their prime.

Are they a "pale retread"? In some ways, perhaps. They're old, and that's sad, of course. Can we blame them for wanting to continue to make music? That's a stretch, imo. Their music lives on, and they're still rolling.

We see ourselves in light of the band. We get older with them. That can be frustrating. Some of that frustration obviously rubs off and turns to criticism of the band and their doings.

They're just performing for us. I don't find that sad. Not at all. It's sad that Charlie is gone, though.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 22, 2021 14:30

DandelionPowderman

For what it's worth, the clips I heard sounded tighter than the 2019-tour - especially the guitars. That surprised me a bit, actually.

Me too. Like I suggested in my earlier post the tighntness is probably not just due to Jordan but that the other fellows needed to put on rehearsals an extra concentration on they they sound and click together. With Charlie so much was taken for granted - they knew each other by heart and the rehearsals were just oiling and warming up the old engine again to get the cohesion and right feel again. But now with a new 'kid' - had it been anyone - on the very crucial role in the engine, they surely needed pay some extra attention to the very basics in their sound - something they had not needed to do for decades (my assumption is that we will need to go all the way back to 1989 they last time had this deep reflection on the way they sound). I could very easily imagine both Keith and Ronnie a bit uplifting their game - probably by the cost of some looseness - and lazyness - they have used to along the years. If the result will be more like uptighness over looseness than like tighthness over sloppiness, we will see... We live interesting times in the world of the Rolling Stones sound.

Then there is the human factor: Charlie's passing - things like that affect musicians playing with a feeling, like these Blues Boys do (Remember: Mick sang his heart out in the tour following his lover's death - like forgetting all what his vocal coach had taught him).

- Doxa

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 14:38 by Doxa.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 22, 2021 14:36

Taylor1

Cos no one among that audience would care? It'd be a momentum-killer.

"You Got The Silver? Ever heard of that tune, Tracy? Yuck!"

For that kind of audience the best thing the band can do is switching to "human jukebox" mode. And that's what they did. Jagger knows how to deal with customers.

Date: September 22, 2021 14:42

Doxa
DandelionPowderman

For what it's worth, the clips I heard sounded tighter than the 2019-tour - especially the guitars. That surprised me a bit, actually.

Me too. Like I suggested in my earlier post the tighntness is probably not just due to Jordan but that the other fellows needed to put on rehearsals an extra concentration on they they sound and click together. With Charlie so much was taken for granted - they knew each other by heart and the rehearsals were just oiling and warming up the old engine again to get the cohesion and right feel again. But now with a new 'kid' - had it been anyone - on the very crucial role in the engine, they surely needed pay some extra attention to the very basics in their sound - something they had not needed to do for decades (my assumption is that we will need to go all the way back to 1989 they last time had this deep reflection on the way they sound). I could very easily imagine both Keith and Ronnie a bit uplifting their game - probably by the cost of some looseness - and lazyness - they have used to along the years. If the result will be more like uptighness over looseness than like tighthness over sloppiness, we will see... We live interesting times in the world of the Rolling Stones sound.

Then there is the human factor: Charlie's passing - things like that affect musicians playing with a feeling, like these Blues Boys do (Remember: Mick sang his heart out in the tour following his lover's death - like forgetting all what his vocal coach had taught him).

- Doxa

Agreed, Doxa. I would add the 2012-shows here. Someone had been doing their homework there. At least London 1 was way tighter than the ABB-shows I saw (which also were good).

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: September 22, 2021 14:54

I think these have been seen on twitter maybe,but on YouTube now. smileys with beer

Date: September 22, 2021 15:12

dcba
Taylor1

Cos no one among that audience would care? It'd be a momentum-killer.

"You Got The Silver? Ever heard of that tune, Tracy? Yuck!"

For that kind of audience the best thing the band can do is switching to "human jukebox" mode. And that's what they did. Jagger knows how to deal with customers.

As Dande commented, Keith doesn't play his set on warm up shows, and as i suggested Keith probably wasn't full on with this corporate kind of Gig so was possibly less enthusiastic to sing his heart out for them.

As for You Got The Silver, surely the audience would have been more familiar with that than Troubles A ' Comin so your conclusions you draw are incorrect.

Happy and Before They Make Me Run momentum killers confused smiley ?? Get outta here winking smiley

Posted by: bradleycsocal ()
Date: September 22, 2021 15:24

I don't recall anyone saying BB King should put Lucille in the closet and quit when he was playing in his 80s. I never heard Buddy Guy referred to as a sad shell of himself. The people clamoring for retirement are similar to those complaining about ticket prices; if you don't like it, don't go to any shows. I guess we do live in a cancel culture and now they want to cancel The Stones.

The Rolling Stones private show at Gillette Stadium Foxboro/Boston Sept 20, 2021
Posted by: DocChill ()
Date: September 22, 2021 15:30

jumpingjackflash5
RisingStone
jumpingjackflash5
retired_dog
RisingStone

My thoughts exactly.

Yes there were, but listening to the new (although mobile and from the first show) clips it is obvious that the previous changes had much less impact on sound than this one.

Personally, I would be happy if they quit next year after anniversary show and releasing the last album with Charlie's tracks (and possibly one bonus with Jordan on drums).

I really can't say, that "I would be happy if they quit next year" - honestly it would make me very sad sad smiley. I think they played great yesterday! Absolutely incredible, especially when you think about the current circumstances!

I miss Charlie so much... but we should be happy that Steve Jordan helps out! He plays different but well! Don't forget... Charlie selected him, he's experienced in playing with Keith, he's a longtime friend of the band... who could be better?! It's sure not easy for him... please give him a chance!

I'm optimistic, that we'll hear & see great gigs in future...
...be happy, the Rolling Stones are back!

Cheers drinking smiley!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-09-22 15:30 by DocChill.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1213141516171819202122...LastNext
Current Page: 17 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home