Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 21 of 24
Re: Is it time for the Stones to stop rolling?
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: August 17, 2022 03:59

This could be wrong so take it as I am:

The band announced Steve as the Drummer for the summer 2021 tour with Charlie being part of that decision, Charlie then passed away and Jordan is now behind the kit and part of The Rolling Stones.

If Charlie had passed before the decision was made would the Stones have called it a day?

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 17, 2022 06:55

Paddy

The band announced Steve as the Drummer for the summer 2021 tour with Charlie being part of that decision, Charlie then passed away and Jordan is now behind the kit and part of The Rolling Stones.

If Charlie had passed before the decision was made would the Stones have called it a day?

Probably not. They knew Steve, especially Keith. Charlie knew Steve. They all knew him. They wouldn't have to go through excruciating auditions. It would have sailed either way.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 17, 2022 07:21

Steve Jordan has been hangin' round
the Stones camp for alotta lotta years now ......

Pretty sure he first met Mick as drummer on Ruthless People .....1986

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 17, 2022 08:29

It certainly isn't. I’m unsure if I should go into details, but I do know for a fact that there is a tour on the horizon. Considering my knowledge concerns travel documents and a requirement for multiple visa applications, it can be assured that somewhere like South America is on the cards. My knowledge only relates to one individual, but where he’ll be going, the other two will be following!

Date: August 17, 2022 08:50

Rockman
Steve Jordan has been hangin' round
the Stones camp for alotta lotta years now ......

Pretty sure he first met Mick as drummer on Ruthless People .....1986

Or maybe on the DW sessions in 1985? Anyways, they've known each other for a long time smiling smiley

Date: August 17, 2022 09:27

Hey Yeah Dandeeeeee forgot about
them Dirty sessions ... Yeah lets make it 85 then ....

See teachin me everything he knows ..... HHHaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: August 17, 2022 10:42

RollingStone Steve Jordan on Touring with the Stones: 'It Was Like Being Strapped to a Rocket Ship'

Jump ahead to 1978 and tell me about first meeting them.
When I first met Charlie, it was the first show of the fourth season of SNL. I was in the house band. There was extra security and everything because they were there. Everybody was trying to get close, but I wasn’t focused on that because the New York Yankees were playing the Kansas City Royals in the American League championship series. That was the only thing that meant anything to me, whether the Yankees were going to advance to the World Series. [Editor’s note: The Yankees won 2-1 that night and advanced to the World Series. They then beat the Los Angeles Dodgers in six games.]
I was in the SNL band dressing room, which was called the Departure Lounge. I was in there watching the game. I wanted to get the autographs of the band, but I wasn’t going to hang out and miss the game to meet them. My recollection is I somehow ran into Charlie. One thing leads to another where I asked him for an autograph and the band. He comes back with a piece of paper.
I end up sitting in the dressing room with him and showing him the ins and outs of baseball. He said, “Oh, this is kind of like a combination of cricket and rounders, isn’t it?” I’d heard about rounders. That’s where you run back and forth to the bases. And cricket involves a bat. It is a combination of those two games. I was like, “I guess it is.” Sitting next to Charlie Watts, watching the Yankees. It doesn’t get much better than that.

Date: August 17, 2022 18:05

It's probably not a popular opinion, but I think all these old acts should stop. It's embarrassing watching them get wheeled out; not able to sing anymore.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 17, 2022 18:25

There's a general saying for older artists: "You should stop before it looks embarrassing."

But the Stones are currently far away from that.

Posted by: RG ()
Date: August 17, 2022 18:27

Why is this thread trending again?
They finished a high succesfully tour just two weeks ago.. As long as they stay healthy, they will play shows. And they are so right!

And if you don't like them anymore: don't go to shows again, just listen to their music but stop these exhausting threads.

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: August 17, 2022 23:24

Silver train is a comin'
Think I'm gonna get on now, oh, yeah

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: August 18, 2022 03:06

They have put out one studio album of new song, which was one of their worst with univentive musicand a few mediocre singles in a 24 years.They have basically stopped creating great inventive music.For a quarter of a century they’ve been a live act .Why should they stop now

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: August 18, 2022 03:23

They are old now and of course not performing at the same level anymore. I mean if they still want to tour then play some smaller venues and lower the ticket prices. Then we would all known they are doing this for the love of playing and music. Now it just feels like a big money making circus that never wants to stop...

Date: August 18, 2022 03:37

But but but ... imagine the screeeeeeeeems
if they just go okay thats it we're finished .....Bye

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mrjones ()
Date: August 18, 2022 05:42

RG
Why is this thread trending again?
They finished a high succesfully tour just two weeks ago.. As long as they stay healthy, they will play shows. And they are so right!

And if you don't like them anymore: don't go to shows again, just listen to their music but stop these exhausting threads.
Yeah. Biatch time AGAIN.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 18, 2022 05:49

Palace Revolution 2000
It's probably not a popular opinion, but I think all these old acts should stop. It's embarrassing watching them get wheeled out; not able to sing anymore.

You’re confusing The Stones and Mick for Paul McCartney.

Rod

Date: August 18, 2022 05:59

...... ya got it there Rod ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 18, 2022 06:29

Nikkei
bye bye johnny
Nikkei
What kind of thread is this? Right now they don't roll because that's how the tour was planned

This thread was started shortly after Charlies passing. Until today's response to a nearly year old post, it had been dormant since last December.

Well there was probably a point to it then but now it seems kind of moot

Like a book?

Date: August 18, 2022 06:32

Paddy

The issue you seem to have is about the "when" the "decision" was made.

Here's a hint: it wasn't about Charlie or Steve.

Date: August 18, 2022 06:34

Palace Revolution 2000

Please don't go to see "The Beach Boys" then. Or any 1970s founded Southern rock band.

Although, to be fair, none of them are being wheeled out.

Please cite an act that is being wheeled out. I just... NEED TO SEE IT.

Date: August 18, 2022 06:36

Taylor1
They have put out one studio album of new song, which was one of their worst with univentive musicand a few mediocre singles in a 24 years.They have basically stopped creating great inventive music.For a quarter of a century they’ve been a live act .Why should they stop now

OFFS please clarify what you said. That's not even brilliant gibberish. I can do much better when I've had a bottle of rum - and I edit myself to not post when that happens.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: August 18, 2022 06:39

Palace Revolution 2000

Agree, they should just shrivel up and die.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 18, 2022 06:46

GasLightStreet
Taylor1

OFFS please clarify what you said. That's not even brilliant gibberish. I can do much better when I've had a bottle of rum - and I edit myself to not post when that happens.

Taylor1 is absolutely correct when he stated that they’ve released 1 album of new, original material in 24 years. Nearly a quarter of a century. He’s wrong about it being no good though. There’s plenty to love in it for me!

So they HAVE basically become a live act.

It’s not gibberish if you read it, or understand what he’s trying to state.

Rod

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 18, 2022 11:30

Irix
There's a general saying for older artists: "You should stop before it looks embarrassing."

But the Stones are currently far away from that.

That's probably because you're looking at it through rose-tinted glasses. Keith and Ronnie's playing often ís embarrassing. Purely because you are a fan and because you know that they are 80 years old, you condone that. Let's be honest, if you went to the Stones 20 years ago and were presented with them as they are now, you would probably have gone home disappointed after 4 songs. At least I would.

Sure there are extenuating circumstances such as age and a heavy lifestyle, but if you have to pay 150 for a ticket then imo you shouldn't have to look for many excuses to justify such a purchase.

But does that mean they have to stop? Hell no! It's completely up to them. They love it, millions of people still want to see them.. More than enough reasons to keep going to the end. For me personally it's over. I've seen them live about 10 times and like to remember them as they were in their heyday.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: August 18, 2022 11:40

ribbelchips

That's probably because you're looking at it through rose-tinted glasses.

No, that's not what I'm doing. I was at Berlin Waldbühne, 3-Aug-2022 (Block C), watched the show close-up and had not the impression that it looked somehow embarrassing. Of course they're getting older and therefore it's not comparable anymore with the high-energetic show from 17-Aug-1995 at Berlin Olympiastadion when the Stones were 27 years younger.

Posted by: ribbelchips ()
Date: August 18, 2022 12:49

With all background singers, horns and keyboards, it sounds ok, but when you filter that and only would listen to Keith, Ronnie, Mick and the rhythym section.. half of the songs would fall apart. And to me, that's embarrasing. But hey, it's only my personal opinion...

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: August 18, 2022 12:57

No they wouldn't ...and they might even sound a bit more like the Rolling Stones ! winking smiley

Date: August 18, 2022 13:18

ribbelchips
With all background singers, horns and keyboards, it sounds ok, but when you filter that and only would listen to Keith, Ronnie, Mick and the rhythym section.. half of the songs would fall apart. And to me, that's embarrasing. But hey, it's only my personal opinion...

Your ears must be more «finely-tuned» than mine. Because this is not falling apart for me. Not at all.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: August 18, 2022 15:18

DandelionPowderman
ribbelchips

Your ears must be more «finely-tuned» than mine. Because this is not falling apart for me. Not at all.

[www.youtube.com]
For nearly 80 year old men it is great. But it is very simple , uninventive playing. It is a great song, but it was done in 1965. It has no difficult or complex solos or music to play. No impovisation. It is the epitome of an oldies act

Date: August 18, 2022 15:26

GasLightStreet
Taylor1

What needs t o be clarified. One studio album with new material in a quarter of a century, A Bigger Bang , which is their second worst album, and a few mediocre singles. Nothing new, nothing inventive. So they have been an oldies rock show, at times great for the last quarter of a century. Why should they stop being a live act now

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 21 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2441
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home