Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: David Bowie
Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 9, 2023 12:18

The Sicilian
Paddy
I was listening to the Santa Monica 72 release last night. Mick Ronson was a great guitar player.

So was I. Actually I've been listening to it for the past 3 days. It's the first time I heard it in its entirety. Mick Ronson was perfect for Bowie.

It’s a great live record, it beats the spiders soundtrack for me.

Re: OT: David Bowie stuff
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 12, 2023 02:09

Is there any video for the 72 Santa Monica show?

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: December 12, 2023 02:52

The Sicilian
Is there any video for the 72 Santa Monica show?

I’ve never seen any.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: December 12, 2023 02:55

I got the 4K UHD of "Moonage Daydream". Criterion put it out. It's phenomenal. The soundtrack sounds amazing with Dolby Atmos. Really great music documentary. It's not the usual thing. Think it's on the streaming services, worth watching.

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: December 13, 2023 01:45

[www.youtube.com]

For many fans "Santa Monica" is a "Holy Grail". Let's hope a complete quality video appears because it is very welcome, such as this one:

[www.independent.co.uk]

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: December 19, 2023 04:44

Anyone know when the next installment of the era box sets is due to be released?

I’m a big fan of his late career material. Heathen, The Next Day, Black Star.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: January 10, 2024 16:05

Paris : first David Bowie street in the world :

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 10, 2024 16:48

JimmyTheSaint
Anyone know when the next installment of the era box sets is due to be released?

Heathen & Next Day are seriously underrated, IMO.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 10, 2024 17:15

David Bowie - Waiting in the Sky (Before The Starman Came to Earth) :

Special Vinyl-LP for Record Store Day, 20-Apr-2024 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 10, 2024 17:52

crholmstrom
JimmyTheSaint

Heathen & Next Day are seriously underrated, IMO.

I second that (or third that).

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 10, 2024 21:11

I wish I liked more of Bowie's later work. Truly, after Let's Dance, the only album I liked in full was Hours, which I think is a fantastic late era record. Ironically, the only other one I liked was the unreleased Toy. He was on a good run in that period. Having said that, the later studio albums don't do much for me. I've really tried Heathen and The Next Day and Reality and Blackstar and beyond a couple songs on each, its not really my bag. I LOVE his Reality tour live album. That was excellent, and the tour was outstanding. So he still had it. But in the studio, doesn't make me feel anything like the 70s stuff. I really wish I liked them more and I love that Hours is the only one that pretty much no one likes lol.

Date: January 10, 2024 22:56

RollingFreak
I wish I liked more of Bowie's later work. Truly, after Let's Dance, the only album I liked in full was Hours, which I think is a fantastic late era record. Ironically, the only other one I liked was the unreleased Toy. He was on a good run in that period. Having said that, the later studio albums don't do much for me. I've really tried Heathen and The Next Day and Reality and Blackstar and beyond a couple songs on each, its not really my bag. I LOVE his Reality tour live album. That was excellent, and the tour was outstanding. So he still had it. But in the studio, doesn't make me feel anything like the 70s stuff. I really wish I liked them more and I love that Hours is the only one that pretty much no one likes lol.

I like hours. Reeves Gabrels' swan song. Some great songs on that record.

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: January 10, 2024 23:34

With schooldays' friends of David Bowie George Underwood and Geoff MacCormack (on the left)

Posted by: rockerparis ()
Date: January 10, 2024 23:36

Lots of other pics on ROCKERPARIS

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 11, 2024 13:27

the loss remains staggering....his latter day works still sustain praise and worthy of many listens.....some amazing work on them for a 60+ year old.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: January 11, 2024 13:32

I am a big fan of his Tin Machine.

Two great records and a live set that was a blast!

C

Date: January 11, 2024 13:55

liddas

C

Awesome noisy guitars!

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: January 11, 2024 15:32

Rip This
the loss remains staggering....his latter day works still sustain praise and worthy of many listens.....some amazing work on them for a 60+ year old.

It seemed to be the start of a long string of artists we've lost that continues...just a sign of the times.

What an artistic exit from this world with the release of a new video (that starts with the words "Look up here, I'm in heaven" nonetheless) and album.

My 15 year old son (at the time) became an instant fan due to that unfortunate but classy passing and loves Blackstar and has since delved into all his past work.

I feel fortunate to have seen him during his Sound and Vision tour.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: January 12, 2024 02:40

StoneZP
[www.youtube.com]

For many fans "Santa Monica" is a "Holy Grail". Let's hope a complete quality video appears because it is very welcome, such as this one:

[www.independent.co.uk]

There's rumours of one or two pro-filmed shows from June '74 at MSG in NYC on the Diamond Dogs tour. Supposedly it's in the Mainman vault, or whoever owns it now (maybe his son Duncan?).

We have seen b&w rehearsal footage from Portchester '74, but a full show in colour would be bomb.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 12, 2024 03:18

mosthigh
StoneZP
[www.youtube.com]

[www.independent.co.uk]

There's rumours of one or two pro-filmed shows from June '74 at MSG in NYC on the Diamond Dogs tour. Supposedly it's in the Mainman vault, or whoever owns it now (maybe his son Duncan?).

We have seen b&w rehearsal footage from Portchester '74, but a full show in colour would be bomb.
"I've always regretted not having filmed things like the 'Diamond Dogs' show. We never filmed the 'Station to Station' show. Or the 'soul' show with Dave Sanborn and those guys. I have absolutely no footage of those things. It's terrible. ... It's infuriating." - David Bowie before the Sound+Vision Tour

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 12, 2024 06:59

kovach
Rip This

It seemed to be the start of a long string of artists we've lost that continues...just a sign of the times.

What an artistic exit from this world with the release of a new video (that starts with the words "Look up here, I'm in heaven" nonetheless) and album.

My 15 year old son (at the time) became an instant fan due to that unfortunate but classy passing and loves Blackstar and has since delved into all his past work.

I feel fortunate to have seen him during his Sound and Vision tour.

I listen to BLACKSTAR more than any other David Bowie album. I love it.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: January 13, 2024 02:50

Lazarus, Dollar Days and I Can’t Give Everything Away are standouts. Overall, it’s a great listen from start to finish.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: January 13, 2024 06:19

Bowie was brilliant. Very talented

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 13, 2024 06:22

liddas

C

Tin Machine was awesome.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: January 13, 2024 18:11

GasLightStreet
liddas

C

Tin Machine was awesome.

Today I played Tin Machine [1st CD} forgot how good it was, some great songs on it.
Bowie released himself from commercial pressure with a vengence. I saw them at the Livingston Forum Ice Rink [near Edinburgh] They were awesome , I knew what to expect but the casual listeners were not happy as no Bowie solo stuff was played .
Got the tape some where in my attic. Oh and I have an unused ticket for the show.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-01-13 18:19 by Tonstone.

Date: January 14, 2024 03:04

Rare silent footage:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: January 14, 2024 12:02

mosthigh
StoneZP
[www.youtube.com]

[www.independent.co.uk]

I really hope to see this one day! I'm a huge fan of this period (1974 - 1976).

Date: January 14, 2024 14:38

DiamondDog7
mosthigh
StoneZP
[www.youtube.com]

[www.independent.co.uk]

I really hope to see this one day! I'm a huge fan of this period (1974 - 1976).

Yeah! 2024 is a good year for Bowie fans to have a pleasant surprise like this spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

OT: What David Bowie Read
Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 21, 2024 18:31

What an interesting list of books. I've read a few on the list, but, wow, what a diversity of genres. Would love to know what the Stones (and others) read, have read.

[colehaddon.substack.com]

Re: OT: What David Bowie Read
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 22, 2024 11:01

Or what other posters here are reading, too.

Myself, I've always been a reader of fiction. Stephen King being the author I first latched onto, in my late-teens. This year, I'm hoping to tackle the classics. I've started with Dickens' Great Expectations. Wonderful stuff.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2156
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home