Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: ELO 2024 Tour
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 22, 2024 18:02

Re: OT: ELO 2024 Tour
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 22, 2024 19:29

I believe they came to Vancouver around 2018ish. I didn't realize they were still around!

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 22, 2024 21:04

DGA35
I believe they came to Vancouver around 2018ish. I didn't realize they were still around!
In fairness, its Jeff thats still around, but he was essentially the band so its kinda on his timetable. There was a pretty solid band that existed in the 70s which I don't discount, but Jeff obviously wrote all the songs and it was his vision. I've seen Jeff Lynne's ELO twice and they were both great shows. Its exactly what you want and expect from him, and the songs remain solid. I don't think there's enough to make me need to go again, and I'm a massive ELO fan. Concerts are just too expensive these days to see what will essentially be the exact same show again. If he got the original band back together I'd absolutely see that, but he hates Bev Bevan. Richard Tandy was with Jeff the first time I saw them but not the second. I imagine he's there this time.

Jeff Lynne, Richard Tandy, Bev Bevan, Hugh McDowell, Mik Kiminiski, Kelly Groucutt, with maybe Melvyn Gale and Louis Clark would be the classic lineup I'd really want to see. It was always Jeff's vision but they were a huge part in making that a reality.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: March 23, 2024 01:58

I am doing SF. Last times around I had schedule conflicts. Was my first concert in 1978.

Date: March 23, 2024 02:44

kovach
ELO Tour Details

Last saw them for $10.75 in '81 with Hall & Oates.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: March 23, 2024 10:16

‘Jeff Lynne, Richard Tandy, Bev Bevan, Hugh McDowell, Mik Kiminiski, Kelly Groucutt, with maybe Melvyn Gale and Louis Clark would be the classic lineup I'd really want to see. It was always Jeff's vision but they were a huge part in making that a reality.‘

You may have to wait a while and be in another place to see this line up, Kelly died in 2009. As a ‘massive fan’, I thought you may have known this…..

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 23, 2024 16:04

Elmo
‘Jeff Lynne, Richard Tandy, Bev Bevan, Hugh McDowell, Mik Kiminiski, Kelly Groucutt, with maybe Melvyn Gale and Louis Clark would be the classic lineup I'd really want to see. It was always Jeff's vision but they were a huge part in making that a reality.‘

You may have to wait a while and be in another place to see this line up, Kelly died in 2009. As a ‘massive fan’, I thought you may have known this…..

Correct. Mike McDowall gone too, sadly. Richard Tandy is still around, but unfortunately in poor health so hasn't performed live with Jeff since 2016.

Lynne certainly has it in for Bev Bevan. After ELO split in 1986, he continued as ELO2 for a number of years with a replacement singer, touring and playing all the old hits live. He eventually sold his share of the ELO name to Jeff Lynne c. 2000.
Jeff tried to get ELO going again with a new lineup and album (Zoom) and plans to tour but ticket sales were poor so he abandoned it.

About 10 years ago Jeff rerecorded all the old hits and released as a compilation, insisting that these new versions are used if requested for commercials, film soundtracks etc. He said that it was to see what it was like to record using modern production equipment. It does however conveniently cut his former band mates out of any royalties.

I still like his music and saw 3 shows between 2016-18, all in London and including the big one at Wembley. Jeff's talents aren't in doubt but he can sure be a ruthless and vindictive operator when he wants to be.

Date: March 23, 2024 17:23

RollingFreak
DGA35
In fairness, its Jeff thats still around, but he was essentially the band so its kinda on his timetable. There was a pretty solid band that existed in the 70s which I don't discount, but Jeff obviously wrote all the songs and it was his vision. I've seen Jeff Lynne's ELO twice and they were both great shows. Its exactly what you want and expect from him, and the songs remain solid. I don't think there's enough to make me need to go again, and I'm a massive ELO fan. Concerts are just too expensive these days to see what will essentially be the exact same show again. If he got the original band back together I'd absolutely see that, but he hates Bev Bevan. Richard Tandy was with Jeff the first time I saw them but not the second. I imagine he's there this time.

Jeff Lynne, Richard Tandy, Bev Bevan, Hugh McDowell, Mik Kiminiski, Kelly Groucutt, with maybe Melvyn Gale and Louis Clark would be the classic lineup I'd really want to see. It was always Jeff's vision but they were a huge part in making that a reality.

I was reading about Roy Wood's early involvement, it almost sounded like his idea.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 23, 2024 23:04

Elmo

I'm well aware some of those guys are dead. I guess I should have said thats the lineup I'd have WANTED to see. I'm not holding out hope for a resurrection .

kovach
I was reading about Roy Wood's early involvement, it almost sounded like his idea.

Roy Wood was very much involved in the beginning. It was he and Jeff at the very start, and it really was Roy's idea to have the orchestra element, which is their defining characteristic. Then he left and it just became Jeff's baby. The way I see their history is The Move was Roy Wood's baby with some key Jeff Lynne involved towards the end, and ELO was Jeff's baby with some key Roy Wood involvement at the beginning. He's most involved on the first album, but even then the two songs anyone knows from that (10538 Overture and Mr. Radio) are still pretty pure Lynne songs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-23 23:07 by RollingFreak.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2273
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home