Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: OT: David Bowie stuff
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 5, 2022 18:30

I quit smoking in early January 2016, the day Iread about Bowie's death, after 18 years of chainsmoking. It seemed so unecessary to die of lung cancer for somebody like him; not that there ever was anybody like David Bowie.

I could quote the King of Norway when being asked about if it was difficult to quit smoking, as he smoked in the 70s, 80s and 90s: "It was disappointendly easy"

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: January 5, 2022 20:50

Erik_Snow
I quit smoking in early January 2016, the day Iread about Bowie's death, after 18 years of chainsmoking. It seemed so unecessary to die of lung cancer for somebody like him; not that there ever was anybody like David Bowie.

I could quote the King of Norway when being asked about if it was difficult to quit smoking, as he smoked in the 70s, 80s and 90s: "It was disappointendly easy"

He died of liver cancer.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 5, 2022 21:32

Living cancer....then I got disinformed. In either case, I quit and it was a blessing to quit.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: January 5, 2022 21:38

For those maybe not aware, Bowie's keyboard player, Mike Garson, is again at the helm of this year's virtual Bowie Celebration, in honor on what would have been David's 75th, this Saturday. DEtails on the link below. It's $25, and you can stream it for 24 hours. (That's like a dollar an hour!, to quote Napoleon Dynamite).

Anyway - lots of Bowie's band alumni, and special guests (Duran Duran, DEf Leppard, and once again joining, Mr. Bernard Fowler...). I watched last year, and it's a quality show, for what it is. The not having an audience does give it a bit of a strange vibe - but these are strange times. Anyway- worth checking out...

[rollinglivestudios.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-05 21:40 by DEmerson.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 5, 2022 21:55

Listening to "Toy". Excellent!

Posted by: StoneZP ()
Date: January 5, 2022 22:06

BowieStone
Taylor1
Can someone point out where you can hear Bowie's voice,0n It'sOnly Rock n Roll, because Ican never make it out

You should listen to the version on Fully Finished Studio Outtakes.
I remember hearing him on that version.

[iorr.org]

Re: IORR (David Bowie & Ronnie Wood on backing vocals) - Rolling Stones - Early version
Date: March 17, 2021 21:39

NICOS
Sorry I can not make a bit of Bowie on this track.....only hear Wood on backing.

[www.davidbowienews.com]

I think Ron Wood at this point was very excited to be participating in such a special theme with the best band in the world and even more playing at home with another great artist and friend named Bowie. that's why his voice stands out. But for me Bowie is very noticeable in several parts of the theme but for the less knowledgeable I think he is more noticeable at 4.03 minutes because in this small second he is more alone in the support vocals

[we.tl]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-01-05 22:28 by StoneZP.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 7, 2022 09:06

StoneZP
BowieStone
Taylor1
Can someone point out where you can hear Bowie's voice,0n It'sOnly Rock n Roll, because Ican never make it out

[iorr.org]

Re: IORR (David Bowie & Ronnie Wood on backing vocals) - Rolling Stones - Early version

NICOS
Sorry I can not make a bit of Bowie on this track.....only hear Wood on backing.

[www.davidbowienews.com]

I think Ron Wood at this point was very excited to be participating in such a special theme with the best band in the world and even more playing at home with another great artist and friend named Bowie. that's why his voice stands out. But for me Bowie is very noticeable in several parts of the theme but for the less knowledgeable I think he is more noticeable at 4.03 minutes because in this small second he is more alone in the support vocals

[we.tl]

I mean the background vocals are double tracked, and you can hear Ronnie and the other one is not Mick but I can't really 'hear' Bowie.

But if they say that's him I'll believe it. He's a chameleon.

Posted by: soundboard ()
Date: January 8, 2022 01:35

This Toy track is kinda fun.
Like the kinda yardbirds guitar

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 8, 2022 17:31

Not sure if posted before, but can't praise this book high enough as Toby Jug Pub was an iconic Pub in my local area.
About 20 pages or so at start of the book about Ziggy and the first ever live performance, as far as I know.

Don't think you can get it on Amazon, but someone on Ebay is selling it for £30 which is double the normal price.

Here's a link to somewhere selling it for £15 hopefully, if anyone is interested.

[regencybookshop.com]

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: January 8, 2022 19:56

Just seen that BBC2 TV here in UK has David Bowie and The Story of Ziggy Stardust 10.10pm tonight, followed by his Glastonbury gig in 2000.

Nothing much else on the box so will be watching that tonight. smileys with beer

Date: January 9, 2022 00:35

treaclefingers
StoneZP
BowieStone
Taylor1

[iorr.org]

[we.tl]

I mean the background vocals are double tracked, and you can hear Ronnie and the other one is not Mick but I can't really 'hear' Bowie.

I keep what i said.I'm a huge David Bowie fan (he would turn 75 today) and I guarantee with a 100% guarantee that it's him in the moments I've indicated. And this is without a doubt the best version to hear him in the backing vocals on IORR.
"Love on ya"

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 9, 2022 01:11

StoneZP
treaclefingers
StoneZP
BowieStone
Taylor1

[iorr.org]

[we.tl]

I keep what i said.I'm a huge David Bowie fan (he would turn 75 today) and I guarantee with a 100% guarantee that it's him in the moments I've indicated. And this is without a doubt the best version to hear him in the backing vocals on IORR.
"Love on ya"

Probably the celebrity death that had the most impact on me. Never ever considered Bowie dying.

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: January 9, 2022 01:14

Looking at Ronnie's post remembering Bowie today. Wondering if there's a recording of that jam at peter sellers house that has ever circulated. Never heard of

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 9, 2022 18:14

treaclefingers
Probably the celebrity death that had the most impact on me. Never ever considered Bowie dying.

That's kinda what I thought of Lou Reed when he died.

Bowie was definitely shock and I remember being awake at 11pm-2am in NY when it happened. There were those small rumors that he was sick for years, which eventually fizzled, but I remember in the days leading up to his death some mild talk of something was up. I think the combination with the album he'd just put out it was just a surreal time. I didn't kind of think "Bowie could never die", but I get that feeling cause he just seems eternal. It was a monumental death but I guess it coming so specifically with his latest two albums it kinda felt like he'd maybe been saying goodbye for those couple years oddly. Maybe thats just me and maybe thats just in retrospect. His death definitely crushed me though.

Posted by: kkhoranstoned ()
Date: January 9, 2022 20:22

i agree .bowie has been with me early on.just finished listening to 50 song
celebrate great music great times and great memories.did see him in miami in 1990

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: September 28, 2022 17:25

David Bowie - A Divine Symmetry: The Journey to Hunky Dory - 4CD+BluRay Deluxe-Set:

25-Nov-2022 (1x Vinyl-LP: 10-Feb-2023) - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 23, 2023 20:05

David Bowie archive acquired by V&A Museum in London

The 80,000-piece archive of material from the estate of David Bowie contains items including handwritten notebooks, letters, costumes, instruments, awards, fashion, photography, film, music videos, set designs and more - many of which were exhibited during the “David Bowie Is” traveling museum exhibit.

It will be on display in 2025 at The David Bowie Centre for the Study of Performing Arts in Stratford. The new building, which was also unveiled 22 February 2023, is an extension of the V&A’s East Storehouse and is being built on the site of the 2012 London Olympics.

More: [Variety.com] , [www.RollingStone.com] , [www.Billboard.com] .

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: April 8, 2023 05:11

Today is the 50th anniversary of David Bowie’s Japanese live debut (Shinjuku Koseinenkin Kaikan, Tokyo, 8 April, 1973). He played 9 shows in all, 5 in Tokyo and Nagoya, Hiroshima, Kobe, Osaka, respectively.
One notable regular feature of the Ziggy show in Japan is Starman, which was seldom played anywhere but Japan in 1973 despite it being a well-known hit tune hence its popularity.
It is surprising that the Ziggy tour didn’t go to Europe. The fans on the Continent had to wait for Bowie until the 1976’s Isolar tour.

[ameblo.jp] [text in Japanese]

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-04-08 10:51 by RisingStone.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: April 8, 2023 23:28

I hope there’s a 2001-present box to round out the Bowie archive releases. We’ve had everything through Toy, but a set with Heathen/Reality/Next Day/Blackstar plus a couple of live shows would be a perfect conclusion.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: April 10, 2023 20:19

tommycharles
I hope there’s a 2001-present box to round out the Bowie archive releases. We’ve had everything through Toy, but a set with Heathen/Reality/Next Day/Blackstar plus a couple of live shows would be a perfect conclusion.

I can't imagine that such a set wouldn't be forthcoming.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: April 11, 2023 18:11

"David Bowie: Rock 'n' Roll With Me"

Article on new Bowie book.

[www.insidehook.com]

Date: April 11, 2023 19:16

There will be an event at the Royal Albert Hall in London on the evening of Monday 24th April to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Aladdin Sane. Details as follows -

Join Classic Album Sundays founder Colleen ‘Cosmo’ Murphy and David Bowie’s producer Ken Scott to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Aladdin Sane in the Elgar Room.

Ken will share the stories behind the album followed by a vinyl replay on world-renowned audio brand Bowers & Wilkins flagship 800 Series Diamond loudspeakers, used as reference monitors in some of the world’s leading recording studios, including Abbey Road Studios, over the past 40 years.

Aladdin Sane, released in April 1973, showcases Bowie’s boundary-pushing creativity, seamlessly blending rock, jazz, and experimental sounds to create a distinctive musical landscape. Producer Ken Scott played an instrumental role in shaping the album’s sound, bringing his technical expertise and innovative approach to the recording process.

Join us to experience the haunting melodies of Lady Grinning Soul and the raw energy of Panic in Detroit in a way you never have before.

Link to RAH page here - [www.royalalberthall.com]

David Bowie
Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: December 9, 2023 02:09

Labyarinth
then A Realathy live
omg i mish bowie
so happy i got his records

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Re: David Bowie
Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: December 9, 2023 02:15

i wash in the middle of ahoy rotterdam and did touch his feet

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: blakeeik ()
Date: December 9, 2023 02:19

have another one! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: BeastyBurdeny ()
Date: December 9, 2023 03:04

My first concert was Bowie. Only saw him the one time, wish I could see him again.

Would have been interesting to see what deep cuts/new songs he would have performed, had he continued touring beyond the Reality album.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: December 9, 2023 04:13

I was listening to the Santa Monica 72 release last night. Mick Ronson was a great guitar player.

Posted by: Donnebr ()
Date: December 9, 2023 06:51

Brilliant artist.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 9, 2023 07:59

Paddy
I was listening to the Santa Monica 72 release last night. Mick Ronson was a great guitar player.

So was I. Actually I've been listening to it for the past 3 days. It's the first time I heard it in its entirety. Mick Ronson was perfect for Bowie.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: December 9, 2023 08:01

BeastyBurdeny
My first concert was Bowie. Only saw him the one time, wish I could see him again.

Would have been interesting to see what deep cuts/new songs he would have performed, had he continued touring beyond the Reality album.

He was my first concert too back in 1976.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2032
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home