Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Keith's Friend & Sound Master Rob Fraboni-Story/Interview
Date: February 3, 2021 19:47

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Gazza
That long version of 'Claudine' is simply unreleasable. A loose, incoherent 8 minute jam that goes nowhere being included on a 45-minute album? Its nice to have it on a bootleg but thats where it belongs.

The rockabilly version blows it away.

Exactly. It's clearly an unfinished, early try-out. Bootleg material, nice to have, but official release quality? No, absolutely not. If Fraboni actually meant this version as being "superior" to the released one, I have to seriously doubt his judgement.

There are probably more versions.

That's possible, indeed, that there's still an uncirculated "holy grail"-version (the version that beats all other versions!) of "Claudine" in the vaults...
...until that appears one day, I tend to trust the artist's judgement, though.

Yep, although we know it was Don Was who picked the 'wrong' version of We Had It All, for instance smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2021-02-03 19:48 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 3, 2021 20:01

DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Gazza
That long version of 'Claudine' is simply unreleasable. A loose, incoherent 8 minute jam that goes nowhere being included on a 45-minute album? Its nice to have it on a bootleg but thats where it belongs.

Exactly. It's clearly an unfinished, early try-out. Bootleg material, nice to have, but official release quality? No, absolutely not. If Fraboni actually meant this version as being "superior" to the released one, I have to seriously doubt his judgement.

That's possible, indeed, that there's still an uncirculated "holy grail"-version (the version that beats all other versions!) of "Claudine" in the vaults...

Yep, although we know it was Don Was who picked the 'wrong' version of We Had It All, for instance smiling smiley

Let's not get started on Don Was unless we want to stay here until at least tomorrow morning! Concerning We Had It All - I doubt the band, or Keith in particular, were presented all different versions of the tune so that there was actually a conscious decision to release this take - which is not bad at all, but I like the bootlegged version better. I just think that quality control is not what it used to be inside the Stones camp (just think of Live Licks for example).

Date: February 3, 2021 21:28

retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
DandelionPowderman
retired_dog
Gazza

Let's not get started on Don Was unless we want to stay here until at least tomorrow morning! Concerning We Had It All - I doubt the band, or Keith in particular, were presented all different versions of the tune so that there was actually a conscious decision to release this take - which is not bad at all, but I like the bootlegged version better. I just think that quality control is not what it used to be inside the Stones camp (just think of Live Licks for example).

Agreed. Let's not go there smiling smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 3, 2021 21:36

Gazza
That long version of 'Claudine' is simply unreleasable. A loose, incoherent 8 minute jam that goes nowhere

And Jagger is drunk as a skunk on this one. It has a sleazy V.U.-like quality (that I like) but Gazza is 100% right.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 3, 2021 23:03

Claudeen sounds like the baby sister of Turd on the Run

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: February 4, 2021 13:06

GasLightStreet
MadMax
GasLightStreet
Funny to see that Fraboni thinks the released version of Claudine sucks. Because it does! With the mention of it possibly for a compilation album perhaps they were considering it for SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES.

How did he credit himself beyond his responsibilities with BRIDGES? I don't get that at all.

Yeah I agree! The 2nd one is much much better, the chorus reminds me of the last bridge (3rd) in Out Of Control where Charlie do that magic step-up.

It's pure Stones magic!smileys with beer

This one? First time I've heard it - never knew to look I guess.

Yep Gas Light! Sorry for my late answer. That's the one. I got a bootleg (from around 2001) where this is the first track and the released version is the 2nd. So in 2011 when the SG Reissue was released I just assumed I would be treated to this one (albeit, OF COURSE, with new/and or improved singing and mixed and cut ready) but it was the 2nd, IMHO underwhelming one, which was released.

I am pretty sure Fraboni meant this one. It's got a much more enjoyable groove and sound more "Stonesy" and is much more sexy, sleazy and crawling when you also consider what the lyrics are about.

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 4, 2021 16:36

"Rob had a cassette of one legendary, elusive instrumental unfinished outtake, “Windmill” but he noted it was sadly lost in a fire some years later"

No problem, Rob!! You can listen to it on YouTube!!!

[youtu.be]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 5, 2021 05:06

MadMax
GasLightStreet
MadMax
GasLightStreet
Funny to see that Fraboni thinks the released version of Claudine sucks. Because it does! With the mention of it possibly for a compilation album perhaps they were considering it for SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES.

How did he credit himself beyond his responsibilities with BRIDGES? I don't get that at all.

Yeah I agree! The 2nd one is much much better, the chorus reminds me of the last bridge (3rd) in Out Of Control where Charlie do that magic step-up.

It's pure Stones magic!smileys with beer

This one? First time I've heard it - never knew to look I guess.

Yep Gas Light! Sorry for my late answer. That's the one. I got a bootleg (from around 2001) where this is the first track and the released version is the 2nd. So in 2011 when the SG Reissue was released I just assumed I would be treated to this one (albeit, OF COURSE, with new/and or improved singing and mixed and cut ready) but it was the 2nd, IMHO underwhelming one, which was released.

I am pretty sure Fraboni meant this one. It's got a much more enjoyable groove and sound more "Stonesy" and is much more sexy, sleazy and crawling when you also consider what the lyrics are about.

Threads get lost.

Clearly this take, if it was finished, would've been edited to fit a more realistic running time, like Miss You as well as a few others that are long on the master, in regard to what Fraboni mentioned for SUCKING IN THE SEVENTIES it seems.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2147
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home