Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Ronnie's Beggars Banquet (updated)
Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 2, 2020 19:55

I like this a lot as in the more i look at it the more i want it . This is a great piece !

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 2, 2020 22:17

Where's Blondie ????

Under the table ..... hhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 3, 2020 04:02

I wondered when and how someone would mention Blondie. Thanks for following through, Rockman!

jb

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: November 3, 2020 04:13

I cannot believe someone dropped a million bucks on the "original" painting. A million bucks. Wow. The critics agree and someone pays a million bucks for it.

>Taylor is not in the painting

For one thing, it makes no sense all those other people are in there and not Taylor.

>- for those that think it's Taylor in the painting up on the wall.

That would be me.

>I don't think so.

Good. So that makes it one for and one against. Not exactly a landslide so far.

>Again, it's a poor attempt at adding a Rembrandt self-portrait.

A self portrait? Of whom? Surely not Ron Wood. Of Rembrandt? I am pretty sure not.

Of Mick Taylor? Bingo.

jb

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 3, 2020 04:23

Nope - Irix mentioned it being Taylor in the painting up on the wall, and it's he who I was referring/responding to.

See first page of thread to see reference to Rembrandt self-portrait. Not a Ronnie self-portrait, but a Rembrandt self-portrait.

Mick Taylor? Absolutely not.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: November 3, 2020 06:06

Wait.
Are people triggered that someone they fanboy over isn't included in this art that isn't actual art and isn't done by an actual artist?

Lol.
OF COURSE they are.

Date: November 3, 2020 06:14

...what about the fruit on the table
it looks pretty good dont it .....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 3, 2020 06:18

I'm more bewildered that Ronnie has the gall to rip off another artist...again!
Even after the numerous critics have called him out on it!

That said, makes sense that Ronnie would (attempt) to add a copy of a Rembrandt self portrait to this painting, considering:

"Ronnie told Ashridge House he created the painting by using sepia tones from the set colours used by Rembrant, one of Ronnie’s earliest influences".

Lol...what a joke. Rembrandt would piss on him for desecrating his art and style.
And where's Sasha?

Date: November 3, 2020 06:35

The audacity!! Pass the Grey Poupon.

It's so obviously Taylor.

He took a famous self portrait of Rembrandt and put Taylors head on the similarly shaped body.
So easy to see, surprised the classically trained artists and bonafide fanboys don't see it, perhaps a bit too close to the subject.

Thats why they call it art I suppose, everyone can see what they want or don't want to see.

Date: November 3, 2020 06:46

ROCKMAN

Date: November 3, 2020 06:47

Lol...try enlarging Ronnie's painting...if that's supposed to be Taylor, then he really needs to practice up a bit more before he commits it to canvas.
But no big deal MrD, didn 't mean to trigger the emotions and cause such a reaction...again. I guess the cheerleader in you doesn't rest.

edit: There ya go Rockman - clearly not Mick Taylor imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-03 06:48 by Hairball.

Date: November 3, 2020 06:57

Nothing but fun, son.
Not being able to see that, which was plain to most everyone, makes the critiques all that more...um,.. understandable cool smiley

Love the paintings inside the paintings in this version.
Nice touches.

Date: November 3, 2020 07:02

The yellow "painting" within the "painting" above the mantle/fireplace looks like an explosion of rotten eggs - really a distraction amidst the darker hues.

Here's what his fellow rock star buddy Bob Geldof had to say about Ronnie's art:

"Personally, I think Ronnie’s work is terrible...hee should stick to music, not painting".

Date: November 3, 2020 09:28

Photo shoot of The Rolling Stones for their Beggar’s Banquet album at Sarum Chase mansion, Hampstead, London, 1968.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 3, 2020 11:06

Who’s that in the background above the candle between Charlie and Mick?

Date: November 3, 2020 11:23

Yoko ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 3, 2020 13:38

Hairball
The yellow "painting" within the "painting" above the mantle/fireplace looks like an explosion of rotten eggs - really a distraction amidst the darker hues.

Here's what his fellow rock star buddy Bob Geldof had to say about Ronnie's art:

"Personally, I think Ronnie’s work is terrible...hee should stick to music, not painting".

Geldof is neither a rock star nor a skilled art critic.

It's obvious that Taylor's face is in the painting.

We get it now, that you despise Ronnie’s art, btw smiling smiley

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 3, 2020 14:12

Ronnie as far as i see it with my non art critics eye can do no wrong . Here is why . Ronnie is a guitarist who in his spare time has a hobby that he enjoys . Now some of his works sell for bug bucks and the market will determine the price , which was most likely purchased by a Stones/Ronnie Wood Fan . Now remove the Stones and Ron Woods name then it's a different story and the price would also be affected by that . Myself i would love to have a copy/print of that work .

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: November 3, 2020 14:35

Hairball
What some of the critics had to say about Ronnie's recent exhibit in August:

"Yikes,These are frightening pastiches.
Perhaps Mr Wood should stick to making music and not cross disciplines".

- Paul Carter Robinson, the founder of Artlyst

He seems to have taken one of the greatest and most moving works of art (Picassos Guernica),
a desolate cry against war, and used it as the basis for terrible fan art to, er, himself.
Art is often about having a decent dollop of chutzpah, but this takes the biscuit.

- Oliver Basciano, editor-at-large for ArtReview

"Ronnie is infinitely better at playing the guitar than playing with a paintbrush.
Only a rockstar ego would think that it’s OK to put himself and his band boogieing on down amongst the devastation of Guernica.
And Mick as a Picasso dancer? Please, no.

Louisa Buck - Art Newspaper

"The best one can say,is that Ronnie Wood’s paintings are livelier than Prince Charles’s watercolours,
and he draws better than Margrethe, Queen of Denmark.
Some of the works are cheery, cheesy pastiches, but the Guernica is misjudged and horrible.
The citizens of Guernica were bombed and killed from the air. The Stones were only ever bombed on drugs.”

Adrian Searle - The Guardian

Love these critics comments who clearly have no idea of the existence of the original Beggars Banquet picture. Generally, I find art critics are a bit 'up themselves' or as we might term it in UK ... art w*nkers!

Keep on painting in the free world, Ronnie.

Date: November 3, 2020 14:52

Captain Teague
Hairball

He seems to have taken one of the greatest and most moving works of art (Picassos Guernica),
a desolate cry against war, and used it as the basis for terrible fan art to, er, himself.
Art is often about having a decent dollop of chutzpah, but this takes the biscuit.

"Ronnie is infinitely better at playing the guitar than playing with a paintbrush.
Only a rockstar ego would think that it’s OK to put himself and his band boogieing on down amongst the devastation of Guernica.

"The best one can say,is that Ronnie Wood’s paintings are livelier than Prince Charles’s watercolours,
Some of the works are cheery, cheesy pastiches, but the Guernica is misjudged and horrible.
The citizens of Guernica were bombed and killed from the air. The Stones were only ever bombed on drugs.”

Love these critics comments who clearly have no idea of the existence of the original Beggars Banquet picture. Generally, I find art critics are a bit 'up themselves' or as we might term it in UK ... art w*nkers!

They were reviewing other work by Ronnie last year. Nothing to do with the BB-picture. Not sure why these quotes ended up here in the BB-thread...

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: November 3, 2020 15:13

Dear people,

MICK TAYLOR is the one holding the mask in front of his face, right next to Brian. Ronnie explained this somewhere. Don't remember where.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 3, 2020 15:21

kristian

I got those "hands" as a birthday gift from a millionaire friend of mine - hid them in my attic immediatelly. But don´t tell him!

/quote]

Happy to help you in clearing up your attic!

C

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-03 15:21 by liddas.

Date: November 3, 2020 15:55

DiamondDog7
Dear people,

MICK TAYLOR is the one holding the mask in front of his face, right next to Brian. Ronnie explained this somewhere. Don't remember where.

Yeah.. gonna need a link to that smiling smiley

As the mask was in the original pre-taylor photo as well as Ronnie's original, seems doubtful. He may have said that at some point about his original to appease the Taylor-ites, they can be a feisty bunch.

Seems clear right down to the dimples to me, but like all art, definitely open to the interpretation of the viewer.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 3, 2020 16:50

MisterDDDD

Yeah.. gonna need a link to that

Seems to be true that Mick Taylor is already in the painting of 1990:

"Super rare 1990 autographed Ronnie Wood ‘Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet’ limited edition art print of only 295. [...] Ronnie’s print includes all the Stones band members past and present, so look out for Mick Taylor and Ian Stewart and also Ronnie himself is now included! The print is titled ‘Beggars Banquet’ in pencil on the bottom left hand corner and signed by Ronnie himself in the bottom right." -- [Blog.eil.com] , [www.Facebook.com] .

Looks like that in the 1990 painting Mick Taylor (side-profile) is in the doorway behind Ronnie (the doorway was altered in the 2020 Edition):

1990 Edition - [iorr.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-03 17:10 by Irix.

Date: November 3, 2020 16:59

As I suspected.. somewhere that rang a bell winking smiley

Now, he's got a face.

Date: November 3, 2020 18:18

DandelionPowderman

It's obvious that Taylor's face is in the painting.

In Ronnie's own words on this "updated" version, there is no mention of Taylor.

"I've updated my Beggars Banquet painting to include
@bernardfowler, @lisafischersing @ChuckLeavell, Bobby Keys, Tim Ries and
@djonesbassist"!

DandelionPowderman
Captain Teague
Hairball

They were reviewing other work by Ronnie last year. Nothing to do with the BB-picture. Not sure why these quotes ended up here in the BB-thread...

Wrong - this work was also in the exhibit - at least a tapestry version of it was.
See MrD's post page 2: "New tapestry of the Beggar’s Banquet painting unveiled at Ashridge House", and that's the exhibit that all of the above critics were reviewing.

edit: Large tapestry version of original, and the updated painting were both included in exhibit. Read all about it: Ronnie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-03 19:03 by Hairball.

Date: November 3, 2020 18:27

Irix

Seems to be true that Mick Taylor is already in the painting of 1990:

"Super rare 1990 autographed Ronnie Wood ‘Rolling Stones Beggars Banquet’ limited edition art print of only 295. [...] Ronnie’s print includes all the Stones band members past and present, so look out for Mick Taylor and Ian Stewart and also Ronnie himself is now included! The print is titled ‘Beggars Banquet’ in pencil on the bottom left hand corner and signed by Ronnie himself in the bottom right." -- [Blog.eil.com] , [www.Facebook.com] .

Looks like that in the 1990 painting Mick Taylor (side-profile) is in the doorway behind Ronnie (the doorway was altered in the 2020 Edition):

1990 Edition - [iorr.org]

thumbs up

Thanks Irix, that settles it - funny though how someone who actually own a copy of the non-updated version didn't already know that Taylor was represented - shows how much they actually look at it.
And if they did know Taylor was already depicted in the doorway, they wouldn't be hallucinating thinking they see him again in a painting on the wall in the updated version. lol

As far as being "updated", seems to be something he did years ago when Lisa was still in the band.
Seems this would explain the absence of Sasha, but maybe Ronnie will do yet another updated version some day.

What's kind of sad is that Ronnie has taken an iconic photo from an iconic album and turned it all into a messy cartoon in both his original and updated version and a few people fawn over it.
That said, it's good he has a hobby that keeps him off the drink and drugs and other troubles he's dealt with in the past, but as many have mentioned, he really should just stick to guitar and music.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: November 3, 2020 18:30

Hairball

Why mention Mick Taylor in the update when he was already included in the original?

Date: November 3, 2020 18:40

Irix
Hairball

Why mention Mick Taylor in the update when he was already included in the original?

True enough and that's the point - he was already there in the doorway behind Ronnie.
Yet some people are claiming it is Taylor in the "painting" on the right above Darryl.
But either way, neither look like Taylor at all imo - even the version in the original is a stretch.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-03 18:44 by Hairball.

Date: November 3, 2020 18:52

DiamondDog7
Dear people,

Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall this also, but can't find any info. about it anywhere.
If true, not sure why Ronnie would depict him this way, but probably because he couldn't capture a true likeness of Taylor.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1886
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home