Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sorta OT: Supergrass
Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: October 29, 2005 05:45

Yo, you UKers, why don't I ever hear anything about this band? You sods have given us lots of posers (Oasis, Suede, Franz, Pulp, Sputnik ss, etc.), but these guys are the real deal. Five albums (ok, no. 3 is mediocre), and lots of great RnR. These guys are putting out great music, and IMHO have no obvious "influences". Best original tunes from the Isles since the Kinks. Why no hype? Opinions from our "Limey" ( a friendly term understand) experts, please???

Karl

Re: Sorta OT: Supergrass
Posted by: Dan ()
Date: October 29, 2005 05:56

I am in California and they are one of my favorite bands. 3rd album is my favorite.

Date: October 29, 2005 07:26

I think Supergrass acoustic instores from Hollywood 97/00/04/05 and the El Rey Theatre 8/9/03 are up on Dime. I am on dialup but I sent them to someone to seed.

Here is a link to one

[www.dimeadozen.org]

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: October 29, 2005 09:23

I have been crying this band's name from the rofftops since Day 1 when "Allright" came out. Yes, those influences are obvious. They do not write a bad song. Very tight band; not a trio anymore but 4 piece. The new one "Road to Rouen" is very different. Much keyboeards, much gloom.
If you check British magazines, you see that tyhey know what they have over there. But also that this band plays by their own rules. I don't understand why they do not tour in a big way over here in USA. It;s like they don't eveb care.
Has anyone ever listened to "Sofa" with the long jam from first album, and then put on "Every Mother's Son" by Traffic back to back?

Date: October 29, 2005 09:32

"If you check British magazines, you see that tyhey know what they have over there. But also that this band plays by their own rules. I don't understand why they do not tour in a big way over here in USA. It;s like they don't eveb care. "

No airplay and most attempts at touring they do at a loss. So they just do LA and NY and maybe a few in between if we are lucky. However last tour they opened some gigs for Radiohead and 2 different headline club tours (not counting the FEb 03 tour which I think was just LA and NYC)

Edited to add: I might never have heard of them except I had total insomnia and a bad cold one night in 1995 and was watching 120 mins on MTV and they played the "Alright" video. My jaw dropped and the rest of my head hit the roof. Think I even wrote their name on my arm so I wouldnt forget and ran to the record store and got their CD the next day. Seen them numerous times:
6/6/97 Virgin Megastore and Troubadour
5/22/00 Virgin Megastore and Roxy
5/23/00 Troubadour
2/15/03 Spaceland
8/8/03 El Rey Theatre 8/9/03 El Rey Theatre 8/10/03 Anaheim House Of Blues
(2004 - went to so many gigs that summer that I ran out of both energy and money so I went home and went to sleep and missed the gig)
9/29/05 Amoeba Music

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-10-29 09:38 by Dan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1593
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home