Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 344
Re: Coronavirus COVID-19 status around the world
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 18, 2020 10:36

Florida Governor limits Spring Break! Source: Fox News:

No Sex Drugs or Rock n Roll! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-18 10:40 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: Topi ()
Date: March 18, 2020 10:44

Finland has begun the lockdown. Parliament will approve the crisis legislation measures.

[yle.fi]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-18 10:46 by Topi.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 18, 2020 10:47

After over 2 weeks of trying to do so, I'm finally getting tested this afternoon. I had to diplomatically put the hammer down. I pointed out that it would seem to be logical to test people who are at risk even if they don't quite have all of the symptoms, just some. It will take up to a week for results. The testing situation here in Seattle is still pretty dire.

Date: March 18, 2020 10:51

crholmstrom
After over 2 weeks of trying to do so, I'm finally getting tested this afternoon. I had to diplomatically put the hammer down. I pointed out that it would seem to be logical to test people who are at risk even if they don't quite have all of the symptoms, just some. It will take up to a week for results. The testing situation here in Seattle is still pretty dire.

Hopefully all will be well. You're a tremendous person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-18 11:03 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: March 18, 2020 11:08

Rockman

THE AGE --- 18 March 2020

Testing Nick Cave??? ;-)

Rod

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 18, 2020 11:41

TooTough
And the answer to a worldwide pandemic is...

GUNS! confused smiley

[www.latimes.com]

Maybe that's the difference between the EU and the US: when Europeans panic, they buy toilet paper. When Americans panic, they buy guns. confused smiley

Date: March 18, 2020 11:56

Chris Fountain
crholmstrom

Thanks, Chris

Date: March 18, 2020 11:58

Number of positive tests reaches over 1000 in Washington state. That's with the testing situation not yet optimal.

From the Seattle Times:

Re: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 18, 2020 12:06

CaptainCorella
stones40

I live in the U.K. and most people think that it will be over in next 2/3 weeks.
That is absolute tripe as it has just killed another 14 people in the in the UK in the last 2 days.( total 71 )
It is due to start peaking in next 10/14 days and Government are saying that worse case scenario is 250.000 people being killed by this horrible virus in the UK..
The U.K. government has been saying and instigating by their actions and implemented plans which they cant guarantee will work
The UK streets are almost empty at present but come Friday/Saturday that is the ripe time for all the young guys and girls to get their Rocks Off.
For the UK not to instigate a total shutdown at the airports and docks smarts of either
not really knowing what they are doing or looking after their rich friends.

As you say, total tripe.

If you look at this BBC web page [www.bbc.com] and read it, and then if you want follow the link there to the original published scientific paper out of Imperial College London, you'll see that Boris' original policy was predicted to result in 250,000 deaths.

Which supports the statement in your final sentence.

I saw that (full) paper yesterday morning (I have a mate at IC) and I was absolutely horrified. I fail to understand why that 250,000 number - clearly on the BBC site with validation - has barely raised a stir.

Maybe because on the same day the Chief Scientific Officer in the UK was saying that '20,000 deaths would be a good outcome.'
So people and the media are very confused about what appears to be conflicting evidence and speculation. Rather like the economic predictions post Brexit.
So, people get sceptical and interpret as they think fit.
It doesnt seem down to the difference between do nothing strategies (which no country is following, I think) and a full scale shut down either.
Eventually we might be able to assess which strategy worked best (with various caveats applied). Also whose predictions were the most accurate.
Lessons for the next pandemic, perhaps?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 18, 2020 12:11

Stay safe everybody . Do the best to take care of your loved ones , and don't forget our pets !

Date: March 18, 2020 12:41

TheGreek
Stay safe everybody . Do the best to take care of your loved ones , and don't forget our pets !

Great point- pets can receive the virus as well. Unfortunately. I forgot the source.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 18, 2020 12:46

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 18, 2020 13:07

Chris Fountain
crholmstrom

thumbs up
Hang in there crholmstrom,

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: March 18, 2020 13:20

jlowe
CaptainCorella
stones40

I live in the U.K. and most people think that it will be over in next 2/3 weeks.
That is absolute tripe as it has just killed another 14 people in the in the UK in the last 2 days.( total 71 )
It is due to start peaking in next 10/14 days and Government are saying that worse case scenario is 250.000 people being killed by this horrible virus in the UK..
The U.K. government has been saying and instigating by their actions and implemented plans which they cant guarantee will work
The UK streets are almost empty at present but come Friday/Saturday that is the ripe time for all the young guys and girls to get their Rocks Off.
For the UK not to instigate a total shutdown at the airports and docks smarts of either
not really knowing what they are doing or looking after their rich friends.

As you say, total tripe.

If you look at this BBC web page [www.bbc.com] and read it, and then if you want follow the link there to the original published scientific paper out of Imperial College London, you'll see that Boris' original policy was predicted to result in 250,000 deaths.

Which supports the statement in your final sentence.

I saw that (full) paper yesterday morning (I have a mate at IC) and I was absolutely horrified. I fail to understand why that 250,000 number - clearly on the BBC site with validation - has barely raised a stir.

Maybe because on the same day the Chief Scientific Officer in the UK was saying that '20,000 deaths would be a good outcome.'
So people and the media are very confused about what appears to be conflicting evidence and speculation. Rather like the economic predictions post Brexit.
So, people get sceptical and interpret as they think fit.
It doesnt seem down to the difference between do nothing strategies (which no country is following, I think) and a full scale shut down either.
Eventually we might be able to assess which strategy worked best (with various caveats applied). Also whose predictions were the most accurate.
Lessons for the next pandemic, perhaps?

The Imperial Paper (link in the BBC article) only mentions something like "thousands or tens of thousands" in the alternative (Supression) approach. Cold bloodedly that's a good outcome (yikes!) - but to me Boris is getting away with initially adopting a negligent policy. Like forgiving someone because in place of beating their partner with a spiked plank, they beat them with a soft leather belt. Makes no sense.

He has the credibility of Chamberlain in 1939 to 1940. He's had his "Peace in Our Time" delusional moment and he needs to be called out for the inadequate Churchill wannabe that he has turned out to be.

The UK needs a leader who understands Science, not one who brags (as he did) that he never studied sciences or maths because he spent all of his time studying Latin and Greek. That must have made (eg) the Imperial College paper easy for him to understand. Not!

Someone has reported that Mexico is doing nothing and even that the Catholic Church has organised large Masses. Handily close to the USA border of course! (A confirmation (pun not intended) of that would be good. A confirmation of the event & policy, not the report which I know several here would have seen.)

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: March 18, 2020 13:27

30 min ago, Belgium has going in a lockdown.
Only in food,pharmacy,newspaper kiosk and gasoline station are allowd to open their shops.

Date: March 18, 2020 13:30

This is how behind the U.S. is in coronavirus testing

Date: March 18, 2020 13:35

This is how behind the U.S. is in coronavirus testing

Thanks for the post- South Korea is at .05% 0r.005 if my quick math is correct. This is not a good scenario.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: March 18, 2020 14:08

5000 in a million is 0.5%

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 18, 2020 14:12

stones40

Considering the virus's latency period of about 2 weeks, the next 2-3 weeks (~middle of April) is the (earliest) time when one could expect to get a first idea in those countries that went into lockdown now whether the lockdown approach effectively slows down the rate of new infections.

Boris seems to rely on applied darwinism and the survival of the fittest. In case there are already somewhat reliable data available as to the virus dissemination speed, mortality rate and how long it takes until a diagnosed person dies (China and Italy should already have good data here) it shouldn't be too difficult to calculate approximately when the unfit ones will be gone. But I would guess even that will take longer than 2-3 week.

But there are people over here as well who believe it will all be over in April. It would be good of course if it would indeed be so but from the present perspective it doesn't seem all too realistic.

CaptainCorella

Over here (Austria) this would have raised a storm in the press as well as in the public! The paper dates March 16 but I can't believe Boris's counselors didn't run similar calculations (or calculations of several different scenarios) before they came up with the do-next-to-nothing approach.

In a way, Boris is even doing a great service to science: if the lockdown approach adopted in most European countries is seen as an experiment, Boris is providing the do-nothing control group … which also means that if he now changes his mind, too, he'll spoil the experimental design …

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 18, 2020 14:17

UK testing 10,000 a day currently.
At that rate by 2035 we should all have got done.
WHO guidelines: test, test, test.
Appreciate however that there are logistical reasons for not doing more,at the moment.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: March 18, 2020 14:42

Almost a prediction of what is happening right now from a METRO article in Sept last year. Strange don't you think, like they knew this was coming and warning governments to do more in preparation three months before COVID 19 was discovered. Suspicious? [www.google.com]

Date: March 18, 2020 14:47

Japanese flu drug 'clearly effective' in treating coronavirus, says China

"Patients who were given the medicine in Shenzhen turned negative for the virus after a median of four days after becoming positive, compared with a median of 11 days for those who were not treated with the drug, public broadcaster NHK said."
[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 18, 2020 14:51

Chris Fountain
crholmstrom

agreed...best wishes CR.

Posted by: FlyoverStones ()
Date: March 18, 2020 15:14

treaclefingers
Chris Fountain
crholmstrom

agreed...best wishes CR.

Two weeks? Even if you are positive (which I sincerely hope you are not) you would have to be tested again because you may in fact be negative once the first results arrive. We need tests that give results in minutes not days or hours.

Be well. My sincerest best wishes to you.

Date: March 18, 2020 15:17

MisterDDDD
Chris Fountain
crholmstrom

thumbs up
Hang in there crholmstrom,
Thanks MR DDD

Date: March 18, 2020 15:20

Thanks to all

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: March 18, 2020 15:22

While this virus seems to have emerged from an animal source, it is now spreading from person-to-person in China. There is no reason to think that any animals including pets in the United States might be a source of infection with this new coronavirus. To date, CDC has not received any reports of pets or other animals becoming sick with COVID-19. At this time, there is no evidence that companion animals including pets can spread COVID-19. However, since animals can spread other diseases to people, it’s always a good idea to wash your hands after being around animals. For more information on the many benefits of pet ownership, as well as staying safe and healthy around animals including pets, livestock, and wildlife, visit CDC’s Healthy Pets, Healthy People website.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 18, 2020 15:34

If your cat or dog walk around, outside, and other people cuddle it or clap it with their hands, and they have the coronavirus, then the cat or dog will bring the virus in their hairs back home to you. The coronavirus is moving around fast. It will not infect animals, but animals may carry it.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: March 18, 2020 15:51

Glastonbury now definitely cancelled

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 18, 2020 15:54

And the US-Canada border slams shut to all but essential commercial traffic.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4647484950515253545556...LastNext
Current Page: 51 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home