Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 344
Re: Coronavirus disease COVID-19 and The Rolling Stones US/CA 2020 Tour
Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 12, 2020 18:36

1badgator
bv
Today I went to the grocery store at 11am in the morning, the parking lot was full, normally there are 5-10 cars there, now it was may be 40 cars. So I went to another grocery shop nearby. Same story. Parking lot full, waiting to park. Inside, everybody shopping with full bags like there was a war coming, long long queues. People does not go to work anymore. They prepare for staying at home. Finally people get it. But it took a while. Now schools close, work close, shops close, within a week we will be at home everyone.

Here in Florida I do see more people shopping during the day. Nothing like bare shelves before a hurricane though.

Our authorities say there is no need for shopping for stocking up, but when the shop will be packed with sick people in a month or so then many will be happy about having canned food and extra toilet paper handy at home. Already by now, most people except health personel are told to work from home, and not to travel to work. No travel. No handshakes. One meter i.e. 3 feet between all persons.

Bjornulf

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 12, 2020 18:50

"all I hear is doom & gloom"

just thought I'd share the flip-side....on a positive note, more than 60,000 have recovered so far.

[www.usnews.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()

bv
1badgator
bv
Today I went to the grocery store at 11am in the morning, the parking lot was full, normally there are 5-10 cars there, now it was may be 40 cars. So I went to another grocery shop nearby. Same story. Parking lot full, waiting to park. Inside, everybody shopping with full bags like there was a war coming, long long queues. People does not go to work anymore. They prepare for staying at home. Finally people get it. But it took a while. Now schools close, work close, shops close, within a week we will be at home everyone.

Here in Florida I do see more people shopping during the day. Nothing like bare shelves before a hurricane though.

Our authorities say there is no need for shopping for stocking up, but when the shop will be packed with sick people in a month or so then many will be happy about having canned food and extra toilet paper handy at home. Already by now, most people except health personel are told to work from home, and not to travel to work. No travel. No handshakes. One meter i.e. 3 feet between all persons.

We're experiencing outtages of wipes, masks, toilet paper, frozen fruit...and I see staples like pasta, flour and rice really low. They are doing a good job though keeping things stocked up. But I agree, in a short while the grocery store will be an area to be avoided if possible.

Posted by: artedm ()

The entire country of Norway is 'shutting down'

[theweek.com]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 12, 2020 18:52

If already posted - forgive me. All NCAA events cancelled including the College Conference B-ball tourneys- This sucks as an ardent ACC fan. I'm starting to feel cornered.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: March 12, 2020 19:05

Learned something today, never heard of Shengen, had to read up on it on Wikipedia. This is getting quite educational. smiling smiley

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 12, 2020 19:11

Libraries, schools, universities, pubs, the gyms, hairdressers....they're shutting down or have allready been, here in Oslo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-12 19:21 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: cmc ()
Date: March 12, 2020 19:24

The NHL has suspended the regular season.

[news.google.com]

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: March 12, 2020 19:25

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on May 2nd in Cleveland has been postponed...

Posted by: two4fun111 ()
Date: March 12, 2020 19:33

bv
How dangerous is the coronavirus? What is the mortality rate? It is explained here, updated reports as of March 5, 2020:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Mortality Rate (worldometers)

Coronavius mortality rate in short:

+ 3.4% Mortality Rate estimate by the WHO as of March 3

+ 15% Death rate among patients admitted to hospital (HFR)

+ 2.1% Mortality rate nationwide China

Compared to other viruses:

Virus Death Rate
------------------
Coronavirus 2%
SARS 9.6%
MERS 34%
Swine Flu 0.02%
Annual flu 0.1%

I.e. the coronavirus is approx 20 times more fatal than the annual influenza (flu).

How to calculate the mortality rate during an outbreak:

At present, it is tempting to estimate the case fatality rate by dividing the number of known deaths by the number of confirmed cases. The resulting number, however, does not represent the true case fatality rate and might be off by orders of magnitude [...]

A precise estimate of the case fatality rate is therefore impossible at present.

10 times, not 20

[thehill.com]

Posted by: keefmick ()
Date: March 12, 2020 19:37

Chris--I believe only the conference tournaments have been postponed. Not the NCAA tournament, at least not yet.

Date: March 12, 2020 19:42

keefmick
Chris--I believe only the conference tournaments have been postponed. Not the NCAA tournament, at least not yet.

Please keep in mind of the "bubble" teams and also Conference Champs get automatic bids despite record. It the NCAAs will not happen - unfortunately

Date: March 12, 2020 19:53

It wont be long before it will be easier to list what is not cancelled!

Date: March 12, 2020 19:56

jumpontopofmebaby

It seems like the whole world went bezerk in two days! Did the universe tilt to one side?

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 12, 2020 20:06

Meet & greet without handshake because of corona:

Date: March 12, 2020 20:08

jumpontopofmebaby

That list will be very short. One blank line.

Bjornulf

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: March 12, 2020 20:11

Why does Prince Charles not wear a wedding ring?

Posted by: MAF ()
Date: March 12, 2020 20:19

Schools and/or universities/colleges to close in Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Austria, Poland, parts of Germany.

Sources: BBC and other news chanels.

Date: March 12, 2020 20:22

jlowe

We can't see his right hand.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 12, 2020 20:25

MLS has suspended their season now. Even things like tv show productions are being affected. Riverdale is filmed in Vancouver and they're shutting down production.

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: March 12, 2020 20:25

DandelionPowderman
jlowe

was only a matter of time until this thread would turn outright political

Posted by: WelshEdge1 ()
Date: March 12, 2020 20:28

MAF
Meet & greet without handshake because of corona:

He's become very spiritual. grinning smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 12, 2020 20:35

"New York will ban most gatherings of more than 500 people, including at Broadway shows, and restrict smaller gatherings in an extraordinary step to fight the growing outbreak of the coronavirus in the state, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced on Thursday."
[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: March 12, 2020 20:44

Major League Baseball is suspending all operations as of tomorrow. The start of the season will be delayed. That's all the big sport leagues in the US now. I suspect the NCAA will follow suit with March Madness although they are already set to play with no fans present. Duke & Kansas are saying they are suspending all athletic activities. That should put a knife in it.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: March 12, 2020 20:46

MisterDDDD
"New York will ban most gatherings of more than 500 people, including at Broadway shows, and restrict smaller gatherings in an extraordinary step to fight the growing outbreak of the coronavirus in the state, Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo announced on Thursday."
[www.nytimes.com]

I assume this means schools will be next....lots of schools have over 500 kids/teachers/staff.

Date: March 12, 2020 20:46

Nikkei
DandelionPowderman
jlowe

was only a matter of time until this thread would turn outright political

More like downright trivial...

Date: March 12, 2020 20:56

USA are banning all travels for people from the Schengen area:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Schengen is a passport free travel zone in Europe, where you may travel and cross borders without having to show your passport every time you cross the border. Schengen is currently 26 countries. The following countries are outside Schengen: OK, Ireland, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, Cyprus.

When I travel in Europe, there is no difference really, I do always bring my passport anyway, so except for the passport queue, there is not really much of a difference between the European countries vs travel.

Bjornulf

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: March 12, 2020 21:10

There has been a run on toilet paper and paper towels in and around the Boston area I’ve been in four local supermarkets today and it was like a Shark Frenzy. I did not see one roll of TP. I can’t say if they were totally out or if they did not have the help to restock the shelves from the back room. I did find plenty at Lowe’s home improvement center I don’t believe most people know that they sell it.

On a lighter note I was watching one of the business networks and the analyst that was being interviewed said they should put Tom Hanks in charge of handling this outbreak. He went on to say he seems like the only person in the world that’s not panicking and he actually has the virus.

A little levity !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-03-12 21:14 by virgil.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 12, 2020 21:16

If China's figures are to be believed, their total number of active cases is actually falling, now around 15,000. There has to be some doubt about Iran's figures too.

Death rates vary drastically between countries. The Worldometer site people are following is good, but it needs an extra column for number of tests performed, because there is no doubt that some countries are doing far more tests than others. The US, for all its resources seems to be somewhat lacking in that regard. I know medicine is insurance based over there, but at a unique time of crisis like this, surely resources can be made available to make tests free for all regardless of means? This is not political at all - I'm just concerned for my fellow human around the World, rich, poor or middling.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 12, 2020 21:21

Well, this doesn't sound good... Hope we'd be able to still leave confused smiley
Already booked several domestic trips unrelated to stones shows.

"BREAKING: Trump might restrict domestic travel to Washington state and other places where the coronavirus outbreak "gets too hot," The New York Times reports."
[www.seattletimes.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2425262728293031323334...LastNext
Current Page: 29 of 344

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1819
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home