Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 101
Re: Goats Head Soup Reissue
Date: February 15, 2020 00:16

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

He was paid for Tops.

What's your source, an official reference, or do you have a link please, DP?

Insider info. No proof or quote. Just passing what I was told.

Me too - re WOAF smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-15 00:18 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 15, 2020 02:01

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

He was paid for Tops.

Of course he was paid for Tops - he plays on it. Paid during the GHS sessions and then, most likely, mechanical royalties from the release of TATTOO YOU onward.

Date: February 15, 2020 02:18

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman

He was paid for Tops.

Of course he was paid for Tops - he plays on it. Paid during the GHS sessions and then, most likely, mechanical royalties from the release of TATTOO YOU onward.

Of course, but I think the good Dutchman means he got paid for WOAF as well. I don't think he did, nor that he played on the final version.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 15, 2020 03:14

Taylor was paid because he sued the stones. When tattoo you came out.

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: February 15, 2020 05:04

I've heard Angie on a CD called 'It's Only Goat's Head Soup.'
It's a different mix, some of the guitars are more pronounced and there is a guitar (?) that sounds like a car horn. And a lot more ghost vocals.
I really like it.

Date: February 15, 2020 08:09

whitem8
Taylor was paid because he sued the stones. When tattoo you came out.

Never happened.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 15, 2020 09:55

Well I've no idea with regard to the truth there... I've never been interested in that stuff...

But, if it had come to legal fisticuffs, I really doubt that he'd ever have been welcomed back to the fold ...even in that limited way for 50 & Counting etc.

I know that money can wash away a bad taste in the mouth but, when it comes to folks who have really upset them, The Stones have a long memory.

Posted by: Taylor1 ()
Date: February 15, 2020 14:24

Is there any proof Bill plays bass on WOAF? Because isn’t he only playing bass on like half of GHS? Maybe it’s Taylor on bass onWOAF.Maybe his playing is more understated than usual, like on Torn and Frayed

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: February 15, 2020 15:09

Taylor1
Is there any proof Bill plays bass on WOAF? Because isn’t he only playing bass on like half of GHS? Maybe it’s Taylor on bass onWOAF.Maybe his playing is more understated than usual, like on Torn and Frayed

I’ve thought that too.

Date: February 15, 2020 15:13

TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan
There’s definitely an acoustic on the basic tracks. It might be bleeding into a mic, or it might be mixed very low. The giveaway is that it’s playing a different rhythm than the electric.

Damn, post that track.thumbs up

It’s in the early version and the official release. I made notes where it is most evident on the track talk page. You can hear the upper-mids and high end. If you have software, you can use a band pass to isolate it as well.

At first I thought it was a reflection in a reverb, but it’s a different rhythm altogether. That said, it could very well be Jagger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-15 15:16 by TravelinMan.

Date: February 15, 2020 18:54

I have plenty of software and I'm an audiophile as well. I literally scanned all the tracks.
I cannot detect a glimpse of an acoustic guitar though. What is the early version you have, maybe a link?

Date: February 15, 2020 19:02

When the sax solo winds down and Mick comes back in you can hear in the left channel a jangling acoustic, around 3:50 or so onward.

Date: February 15, 2020 20:03

Ive been listening through my Stax SR-L700 MK2. There's the echo of the fainting piano partly playing arpeggios in the range of a guitar, first, second or third position ( you mix that up with an acoustic guitar I assume), and some percussion, the electric guitar, the bass guitar, drums, Sax (echo), and Jagger, all drenched in overall reverb. No acoustic guitar. My headphones works like a stethoscope.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-15 20:43 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 15, 2020 20:58

He did sue them. However, it never went to court because it was settled out of court.

Date: February 15, 2020 21:23

whitem8
He did sue them. However, it never went to court because it was settled out of court.

What was he payed for then? Is there any interesting non-biased link? All I remember is reading it in the papers back then. Long ago.

Date: February 15, 2020 23:12

TheflyingDutchman
whitem8

What was he payed for then? Is there any interesting non-biased link? All I remember is reading it in the papers back then. Long ago.

You read in the papers that he sued them? I don't think so.

Date: February 15, 2020 23:28

DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
whitem8

Yes, it was in the papers in Holland; not that Taylor sued them but there was a conflict between him and the Stones. It read it at my sisters farm. I don't remember the exact content of course, but is was a little sensation for me because I wasn't even aware of the release of TY, nor had I heard WOAF while it was a hit for weeks already. I only discovered the song in the late 8-tees, maybe even early 9-tees. I was on a different musical planet.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: February 15, 2020 23:45

TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
whitem8

Yes, it was in the papers in Holland; not that Taylor sued them but there was a conflict between him and the Stones. It read it at my sisters farm. I don't remember the exact content of course, but is was a little sensation for me because I wasn't even aware of the release of TY, nor had I heard WOAF while it was a hit for weeks already. I discovered the song in the late 8-tees.

Mick Taylor stated this was pure gossip and nothing to do with reality.
He never sued them. All was settled tranquil. He got his share and has always been treated nicely by the other Stones members. He has gotten help when necessary - also when included for the 50 anniversary tour.

Date: February 15, 2020 23:55

TravelinMan
TheflyingDutchman
TravelinMan
There’s definitely an acoustic on the basic tracks. It might be bleeding into a mic, or it might be mixed very low. The giveaway is that it’s playing a different rhythm than the electric.

Damn, post that track.thumbs up

It’s in the early version and the official release. I made notes where it is most evident on the track talk page. You can hear the upper-mids and high end. If you have software, you can use a band pass to isolate it as well.

At first I thought it was a reflection in a reverb, but it’s a different rhythm altogether. That said, it could very well be Jagger.

Between 3:34 and 3:49 a steel string guitar, the "old version"?

WAOF

Date: February 16, 2020 00:01

mtaylor
TheflyingDutchman
DandelionPowderman
TheflyingDutchman
whitem8

Yes, it was in the papers in Holland; not that Taylor sued them but there was a conflict between him and the Stones. It read it at my sisters farm. I don't remember the exact content of course, but is was a little sensation for me because I wasn't even aware of the release of TY, nor had I heard WOAF while it was a hit for weeks already. I only discovered the song in the late 8-tees, maybe even early 9-tees. I was on a different musical planet..

Mick Taylor stated this was pure gossip and nothing to do with reality.
He never sued them. All was settled tranquil. He got his share and has always been treated nicely by the other Stones members. He has gotten help when necessary - also when included for the 50 anniversary tour.

I'm not referring to the comments of Mick Taylor but to the content of a newspaper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-16 00:26 by TheflyingDutchman.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: February 16, 2020 00:17

I remember on either a radio interview or guitar magazine that MT learned of Tatoo You from John Mayall as they we’re together planning the reunion tour with blues breakers and MT saw the two tracks and they discussed well that’s my playing and should get compensated

Date: February 16, 2020 00:30

OpenG
I remember on either a radio interview or guitar magazine that MT learned of Tatoo You from John Mayall as they we’re together planning the reunion tour with blues breakers and MT saw the two tracks and they discussed well that’s my playing and should get compensated

Arises the question what he played.

Date: February 16, 2020 00:59

I heard acoustic at the end, as I noted, but I will give it a listen on headphones.

I keep thinking this came up a little while ago in whatever thread it was, I think Dande was a good part of it, and it got figured out, maybe in Angie track talk, but whatever - this is now and it's fantastic: something new to chew on ie a GHS reissue.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: February 16, 2020 14:33

Great album, great sound, great Mick Taylor.
Gold Stones era.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: KRiffhard ()
Date: February 16, 2020 15:41

powerage78
Great album, great sound, great Mick Taylor.
Gold Stones era.

I agree with you...but i don't know why i prefer Black and Blue!!!

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: February 16, 2020 16:07

Spud
glimmertwin1
What to expect ? Shitty sound:

[dr.loudness-war.info]

Perhapse they will reach DR 4 this time with the bonus disc being even louder.

Honestly i can't stand this compression any more.

I'm with you on that one .

Not all re-masters have been too bad though.

The Abbey Road boxed set and the BB are very good on vinyl.

[...and, as an aside, the new Main Offender re-release is better than I expected in this respect.]

[The first Abbey Road Exile was too loud though.
I suspect that a better flat digital transfer was used by Miles Showell for the one in the later boxed set...and he showed pretty good taste in his efforts with all of them ]
I just listened to Leeds 1971 from the 2015 Sticky Fingers box for the first time and the dynamic range compression is atrocious.

Date: February 17, 2020 00:23

I’m going to guess it will be packaged like Sticky Fingers. The “alternate” Brussels songs and maybe the entirety of Newcastle or London ‘73. There will also be like 10 new tracks, like an alternate Dancing With Mr. D, maybe an early version of Silver Train, and probably stuff like an extended Star Star and an “acoustic” Angie.

Although, I’m hoping they include some real treasures.

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 17, 2020 04:33

That sounds great and all (I would buy one) but really just Brussels Affair in its entirety would be better. Maybe some stray bonus tracks to finish up the first disk, but Brussels needs to get out to the masses who couldn't afford it as it was released.

jb

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: February 17, 2020 04:40

jbwelda
That sounds great and all (I would buy one) but really just Brussels Affair in its entirety would be better. Maybe some stray bonus tracks to finish up the first disk, but Brussels needs to get out to the masses who couldn't afford it as it was released.

jb

Did you grab it when it was available as a download?

Posted by: jbwelda ()
Date: February 17, 2020 04:54

No, I did not, but I am a physical product kinda person anyhow. I have bought a couple of downloads but only if it is the only alternative.

I have original boot release of BA though...its just that if an official one is available I feel obligated to buy it, plus it will probably be an improvement in sound quality (I hope).

And I think it would be a perfect match for GHS, and its about time for some trickle down economy.

jb

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4567891011121314...LastNext
Current Page: 9 of 101

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1692
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home