Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 22 of 24
Re: OT: Black Crowes stuff
Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 27, 2024 14:46

shadooby
The Marc Ford era was the best. Much like the Taylor era for the Stones. Glad I got to see them in 90 and 96. Most excellent shows.

If you buy the CD, it only comes with half the songs, you have to download the other half. At least that was the case when it came out. But I think it's their best work.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 27, 2024 15:18

I gotta add that the album with Jimmy Page is the best Zep live product.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: February 27, 2024 23:26

Elmo Lewis
While I think its very good, I don't necessarily think thats true. To me, nothing tops How The West Was Won. That is Zep at their peak. Its actually a little before their peak, before they really indulged in it a little too much. That recording is just so in your face awesome.

Having said that, the Crowes with Page is very good. I will say, I always want it to be better. Its a Zeppelin fan's wet dream setlist, and the band is incredibly competent with all of them sounding great. I just always feel thats what it is though: competent. Its not like, dangerous, which I guess it doesn't have to be, but I just want it to blow my mind and it always just scratches an itch, if that makes any sense.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 28, 2024 17:15

kovach
shadooby
The Marc Ford era was the best. Much like the Taylor era for the Stones. Glad I got to see them in 90 and 96. Most excellent shows.

If you buy the CD, it only comes with half the songs, you have to download the other half. At least that was the case when it came out. But I think it's their best work.

You're referencing Before The Frost I believe, which was after the Marc Ford era...... To me the Luther years were the best, though Southern Harmony is an amazing record.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 28, 2024 17:19

RollingFreak
Elmo Lewis
While I think its very good, I don't necessarily think thats true. To me, nothing tops How The West Was Won. That is Zep at their peak. Its actually a little before their peak, before they really indulged in it a little too much. That recording is just so in your face awesome.

Having said that, the Crowes with Page is very good. I will say, I always want it to be better. Its a Zeppelin fan's wet dream setlist, and the band is incredibly competent with all of them sounding great. I just always feel thats what it is though: competent. Its not like, dangerous, which I guess it doesn't have to be, but I just want it to blow my mind and it always just scratches an itch, if that makes any sense.

Totally agree on all fronts. Unfortunately, I had a ticket to see Page and The Crowes in Atlanta and then it all went off the rails before the show happened.

Re: OT: Black Crowes 2020 reunion
Date: February 28, 2024 20:27

gotdablouse
New Single :

Not enjoying this one as much as the other 2, but still looking forward to this release!

Re: OT: Black Crowes 2020 reunion
Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 29, 2024 13:18

VoodooLounge13
gotdablouse
New Single :

Not enjoying this one as much as the other 2, but still looking forward to this release!

I find it the best of the lot so far!

C

OT: Black Crowes stuff
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: March 7, 2024 16:48

Chris Robinson is this week's guest on the Bob Lefsetz Podcast:

Chris Robinson
March 7, 2024 • 117 mins

One of the last true rock stars.

[www.iheart.com]

[podcasts.apple.com]

[open.spotify.com]

[tunein.com]

Date: March 10, 2024 08:09

Really loving Wanting and Waiting. To me it’s better than anything on HD!! It’s got more soul. It rocks. And it sounds authentic.

Anyone know who the new lead guitarist is? The video is pretty great too.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: March 10, 2024 15:52

VoodooLounge13
Really loving Wanting and Waiting. To me it’s better than anything on HD!! It’s got more soul. It rocks. And it sounds authentic.

Nico Bereciartua

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: March 10, 2024 17:47

Have they broken Spinal Tap’s record of 37 members yet?

Date: March 10, 2024 18:42

MelBelli

25 and counting….give them time, everybody’s gotta have goals

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: March 10, 2024 19:52

rattler2004
MelBelli

25 and counting….give them time, everybody’s gotta have goals

smileys with beer

Posted by: mjmjr ()
Date: March 10, 2024 21:21

VoodooLounge13

You can't be serious

Date: March 10, 2024 22:01

mjmjr
VoodooLounge13

You can't be serious

I believe it. HD was really not good. This doesn't sound revolutionary, but it at least sounds like what you expect from the Crowes. HD was a massive step down IMO.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 10, 2024 23:49

I enjoyed this new song and the short concert video.

Date: March 10, 2024 23:49

RollingFreak
mjmjr
VoodooLounge13

You can't be serious

I believe it. HD was really not good. This doesn't sound revolutionary, but it at least sounds like what you expect from the Crowes. HD was a massive step down IMO.

A massive step down from ABB?

Date: March 11, 2024 16:08

DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
mjmjr
VoodooLounge13

You can't be serious

At this point in time, yes. As much as ABB hasn't necessarily aged effectively, it's head and shoulders above HD. There are licks, hooks that are memorable - RFD was new fresh and different at the time. The whole album - despite SOL and SN - still sounded like - and had the EDGE of the Stones. HD is sterile, lacking anything memorable, and sounds like something any ol' band trying to make it big these days with a laptop could have produced. It's Mick Jagger, yes, and I hear some snippets of Keef and Ronnie, but it is NOT the Stones. ABB still sounded like The Stones. As I've stated already, I think it's been at least 2 months since I last gave it a listen. And Angry and Waiting and Wanting came on back to back on Youtube last week, and I'd much rather listen to the new Crowes than the new Stones. That's my opinion. First time since I became a fan in '89 that I've actually been disappointed with a release - I don't count B&L as a release as it's all covers, and I wasn't enamored with that one either.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: March 11, 2024 17:26

VoodooLounge13
DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
mjmjr
VoodooLounge13

You can't be serious

At this point in time, yes. As much as ABB hasn't necessarily aged effectively, it's head and shoulders above HD. There are licks, hooks that are memorable - RFD was new fresh and different at the time. The whole album - despite SOL and SN - still sounded like - and had the EDGE of the Stones. HD is sterile, lacking anything memorable, and sounds like something any ol' band trying to make it big these days with a laptop could have produced. It's Mick Jagger, yes, and I hear some snippets of Keef and Ronnie, but it is NOT the Stones. ABB still sounded like The Stones. As I've stated already, I think it's been at least 2 months since I last gave it a listen. And Angry and Waiting and Wanting came on back to back on Youtube last week, and I'd much rather listen to the new Crowes than the new Stones. That's my opinion. First time since I became a fan in '89 that I've actually been disappointed with a release - I don't count B&L as a release as it's all covers, and I wasn't enamored with that one either.

I agree except for SSOH, which I would put in the very top of the Stones output, ever. Other than that, yes, ABB is somewhat stronger, IMO. But I respect those who feel otherwise. Music is so personal!

"Wanting and Waiting" is a grower. It sounds raw and genuine. Unadulterated by modern pop production sensibilities, unlike so much of HD. This organic purity is what I want in my rock and roll diet, and my doctor agrees.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-11 19:05 by drewmaster.

Date: March 12, 2024 04:28

drewmaster
VoodooLounge13
DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
mjmjr
VoodooLounge13

You can't be serious

I agree except for SSOH, which I would put in the very top of the Stones output, ever. Other than that, yes, ABB is somewhat stronger, IMO. But I respect those who feel otherwise. Music is so personal!

"Wanting and Waiting" is a grower. It sounds raw and genuine. Unadulterated by modern pop production sensibilities, unlike so much of HD. This organic purity is what I want in my rock and roll diet, and my doctor agrees.

Drew

Yes indeed! And I do agree that I don't begrudge anyone who actually loves HD. There are plenty of other albums for me to enjoy...........and many other artists as well!

Date: March 12, 2024 07:44

VoodooLounge13
DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
mjmjr
VoodooLounge13

You can't be serious

Totally agree with everything you said here. HD is literally Mick Jagger with any backing band. Doesn't sound like the Stones. And just produced in a way that removes all danger and just sounds very robotic to me. Sounds like anyone, kind of attempting to be a rock band. Fine with those that like it but not for me and I think a lot of the praise will wear off after some much needed reflection time. Everyone is praiseworthy at the beginning, but to those that enjoy it I'm glad for them.

Date: March 12, 2024 13:56

<HD is literally Mick Jagger with any backing band>

It doesn't sound like that to me, far from it. There are songs here with the Stones signature-sound. What other bands sound like Angry, Get Close, Live By The Sword, Driving Me Too Hard, Tell Me Straight, Sweet Sounds Of Heaven and RS Blues?

To me, it sounds like you don't like the production on a very few (but important, though) songs on the album.

However, no one's gonna tell me that tracks like Live By The Sword, Driving Me Too Hard and Dreamy Skies sound like «Mick Jagger with any backing band».

Even some of the produced songs (WWW) sound like classic Stones, even though they're more melodic and the sound is a wee bit tampered with smiling smiley

IMO, only three ABB-tracks are good enough to be included on HD (RJ, LMDS and LIND).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-12 14:04 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 12, 2024 16:08

DandelionPowderman

IMO, only three ABB-tracks are good enough to be included on HD (RJ, LMDS and LIND).

Here I have to disagree!

For fun I made a playlist of ABB songs trying to replicate the HD scheme to better compare the two albums. Not necessarily my favs off ABB, I followed HD's track list and tried to find a counterpart in ABB. This is what I came up with

Rough Justice
Dangerous Beauty
Streets of Love
Oh No, Not You Again
It Won't Take Long
Biggest Mistake
Rain Fall Down
Let Me Down Slow
She Saw Me Coming
This Place Is Empty
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Back of My Hand

To my ears it is just as good as HD.

Of course, tastes are tastes, but there is nothing on HD that is more worthy, strictly from a song writing or performance point of view, than what is on Bang!

C

Date: March 14, 2024 04:41

drewmaster
VoodooLounge13
DandelionPowderman
RollingFreak
mjmjr
VoodooLounge13

You can't be serious

Drew

Drew, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I don’t begrudge you for yours at all. As a MASSIVE Crowes fan since 1990 I can’t disagree more. I have heard the entire new Crowes album already and it is in my opinion a paint by numbers generic work if ever there was one…it’s far from raw and genuine to the long time fans.

This was a ‘band’ that could, on a nod and a look, add a mind blowing version of a song onstage at the drop of a hat. This is no longer THAT band.
I get why some Stones fans don’t like the production or some of the songs on Hackney Diamonds, but that album blows the Crowes new album out of the water without even trying. And in my opinion it does the same with A Bigger Bang…not even close. I can’t remember the songs, referenced in this thread, on A Bigger Bang.

The organic Crowes ended in 1997 with 3 Snakes, they’ve had flashes of their former selves with their reunion in 2005, and then again with Luther Dickenson, but now…this isn’t a band, this is Chris and Rich Robinson with back up musicians.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-14 04:53 by rattler2004.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: March 14, 2024 05:01

rattler2004
VoodooLounge13

Nico Bereciartua

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

[m.youtube.com]

And... [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 15, 2024 12:20

Album has dropped and it rocks !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: March 15, 2024 20:23

They are playing a special Amazon show at the Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn tonight.
Looking for 1 ticket if anyone can help?
thx

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: March 16, 2024 07:21

mjmjr
VoodooLounge13

You can't be serious

NURSE!!!!!!! For the love of God get Voodoo's medication sharpish.

Posted by: strat72 ()
Date: March 16, 2024 07:25

liddas
DandelionPowderman

Here I have to disagree!

For fun I made a playlist of ABB songs trying to replicate the HD scheme to better compare the two albums. Not necessarily my favs off ABB, I followed HD's track list and tried to find a counterpart in ABB. This is what I came up with

Rough Justice
Dangerous Beauty
Streets of Love
Oh No, Not You Again
It Won't Take Long
Biggest Mistake
Rain Fall Down
Let Me Down Slow
She Saw Me Coming
This Place Is Empty
Laugh, I Nearly Died
Back of My Hand

To my ears it is just as good as HD.

Of course, tastes are tastes, but there is nothing on HD that is more worthy, strictly from a song writing or performance point of view, than what is on Bang!

C

You are right. "Tastes are tastes". If you think ABB is even half the record that HD is then I can confirm that you have shit taste.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 16, 2024 12:56

Enough with the OT guys, especially with this kind of content...

spikenyc
They are playing a special Amazon show at the Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn tonight.
Looking for 1 ticket if anyone can help?
thx

Did you make it ? I missed the broadcast, hopefully there will be a replay.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 22 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1967
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home