Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 24
Re: OT: Black Crowes 2020 reunion
Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: February 14, 2020 16:33

DandelionPowderman
rattler2004
DandelionPowderman

IMO, Jeff Cease and Luther Dickinson were just as distinctive for the band's sound. Every note mattered. Ford is very good, of course, but he uses a lot of space to express little.

Huh?

I won’t begrudge you for your opinion, you are entitled to it. It is the first I’ve ever heard of someone preferring Cease or Dickinson over Ford...except of course if you are Cease or Dickinson.

Didn't say I preferred anyone. Just pointed out Ford's weaknesses. I like all of those three guitarists.

You’re correct, my mistake.

Sorry, I interpreted that wrong.

Carry on

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: February 14, 2020 19:30

Its interesting I listened to Steve Gorman's radio show and he said that the producer George Drakoulias first listen of all the tracks on SYMM stated that Rich should play the tunes in open tunings because of Keith Richards mannerisms and Steve should swing more on drums. I would of thought Rich wrote most of the music in open tunings first hand.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 14, 2020 20:10

OpenG
Its interesting I listened to Steve Gorman's radio show and he said that the producer George Drakoulias first listen of all the tracks on SYMM stated that Rich should play the tunes in open tunings because of Keith Richards mannerisms and Steve should swing more on drums.

That would explain Chris' later fatwa : he sentenced to death the one guy who put them on the road to success (Drakoulias) and sat in the producer's seat for the 3rd album, the still-born "Tall" lp.

I don't see Mick or Keef beheading Jimmy Miller after LIB! grinning smiley There's a world of difference in sheer class and inteliigence between the Glimmer Twins and the Robinson bros... eye rolling smiley

Date: February 14, 2020 20:28

OT: Black Crowes 2020 reunion
Date: February 14, 2020 20:10

OpenG
Its interesting I listened to Steve Gorman's radio show and he said that the producer George Drakoulias first listen of all the tracks on SYMM stated that Rich should play the tunes in open tunings because of Keith Richards mannerisms and Steve should swing more on drums.

That would explain Chris' later fatwa : he sentenced to death the one guy who put them on the road to success (Drakoulias) and sat in the producer's seat for the 3rd album, the still-born "Tall" lp.

I don't see Mick or Keef beheading Jimmy Miller after LIB! There's a world of difference in sheer class and inteliigence between the Glimmer Twins and the Robinson bros...

great point - Rick Rubin was around also for SYMM - he suggested to Chris to name the band Kaub County Krowes(KKK) great stupid suggestion since the brothers were from kalb county Ga.

Date: February 14, 2020 21:34

If you read Gorman's book he really points out how important and supportive Drakoulias was for the boys at the very beginning (1987-90).

He knew Gorman was technically "green" but he had something for him so he kept pushing him.

Posted by: Slowride ()
Date: February 16, 2020 11:06

For anyone who’s interested. Chris and Rich Robinson discuss their favourite records, steve gormans book and more with Dutch Radio DJ Rob Stenders.

[content10c3b.omroep.nl]

There is some dutch talk here and there.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 16, 2020 12:47

I saw the brothers yesterday with their acoustic tour in Amsterdam.
It’s a damn shame Gorman isn’t with them anymore, because the brothers still sound very good together. Imagine that with Gorman behind the drumkit.

Posted by: Markdog ()
Date: February 17, 2020 19:36

Gorman and the brothers were the only real full-time members of the Crowes since they shared profits equally. You could argue all others were session players.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 17, 2020 19:52

I´ve seen them in 1991 supporting SYMM and 1992 with their next
step SHAMC. In 2001 they opened for AC/DC - and I thought they
morphed into a strange combo with strange arrangements I didn´t get.

But the first 2 LPs are two of my favourite pieces of music now
and then. I love Gorman´s drumming - but the Robinson´s select
the other Crowes.

Can´t wait to see them in October.

Posted by: Lien ()
Date: February 17, 2020 21:36

Slowride
For anyone who’s interested. Chris and Rich Robinson discuss their favourite records, steve gormans book and more with Dutch Radio DJ Rob Stenders.

[content10c3b.omroep.nl]

There is some dutch talk here and there.

This is the right link [www.nporadio2.nl]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: February 19, 2020 18:23

OpenG
Its interesting I listened to Steve Gorman's radio show and he said that the producer George Drakoulias first listen of all the tracks on SYMM stated that Rich should play the tunes in open tunings because of Keith Richards mannerisms and Steve should swing more on drums. I would of thought Rich wrote most of the music in open tunings first hand.

Yes there must be some confusion because Gorman explains in his book how Rich blossomed when he started experimenting with open tuning and that was way before Drakoulias came in the picture.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: February 19, 2020 18:27

gotdablouse ()
Date: February 19, 2020 18:23

OpenG

Yes there must be some confusion because Gorman explains in his book how Rich blossomed when he started experimenting with open tuning and that was way before Drakoulias came in the picture.

That most likely is true but that is what Steve said in a radio interview I listened to. Maybe some of the tracks on SYMM were in standard and George said that would sound better in open tuning. Thanks

Posted by: MelBelli ()
Date: February 19, 2020 18:53

Gorman writes in the book that Rich had experimented with open tunings, and that Drakoulias specifically recommended open-G (“like Keith”). After *that*, his ideas began to proliferate.

I’d have to check, but I don’t think any of Rich’s parts on SYMM are in standard tuning. I want to say, in fact, that the first appearance of Rich in standard was “A Conspiracy.”

Date: February 19, 2020 19:00

The transcription of Southern Harmony I bought way back in the day has “Bad Luck Blue Eyes” and “Sometime Salvation” in standard. I’m not sure if latter is accurate.

Date: February 19, 2020 19:49

e: OT: Black Crowes 2020 reunion new
Date: February 19, 2020 18:53

Gorman writes in the book that Rich had experimented with open tunings, and that Drakoulias specifically recommended open-G (“like Keith”). After *that*, his ideas began to proliferate.

I’d have to check, but I don’t think any of Rich’s parts on SYMM are in standard tuning. I want to say, in fact, that the first appearance of Rich in standard was “A Conspiracy.”

I think you are right I listened to SYMM - from my novice ears sounds Rich in all open and Jeff Cease in standard. So on official record release all open but that does not mean he did not have some of the tunes in standard that George heard and suggested to Rich open.

Date: February 19, 2020 20:24

MelBelli

What about Hard To Handle?

Date: February 19, 2020 20:31

DandelionPowderman
MelBelli

Looks like he’s in standard, at least live:

[youtu.be]

Date: February 19, 2020 22:45

DandelionPowderman
MelBelli

Looks like he’s in standard, at least live:

[youtu.be]

Yes you are correct for live anyway - Its amazing that they did not include Don't Wake Me on SYMM which could of been the 11th song and how the record would close out with 3 power octane dynamite songs, Struttin Blues, Stare It Cold and don't Wake Me. Its hard to find rock based blues songs performed and played like that always gets me when I listen. Stare It Cold is like Tumbling Dice meeting Crazy Mama and ending with that epic fast run like Turd on the Run, that song is something special.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 24, 2020 02:03

DandelionPowderman

IMO, Jeff Cease and Luther Dickinson were just as distinctive for the band's sound. Every note mattered. Ford is very good, of course, but he uses a lot of space to express little.

Ford filled in very much like Mick Taylor while with the Stones. Although I disagree, a little space can express a whole freakin' lot. That's precisely why they're my fave era of both bands!!!

Posted by: roryfaninva ()
Date: February 25, 2020 01:09

From Blabbermouth.net- is the mood souring already?

Chris Robinson repeatedly admonished the crowd for speaking too loudly during BROTHERS OF A FEATHER's concert last Friday night (February 21) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

The trek, which sees Chris and his brother Rich performing all-acoustic THE BLACK CROWES tunes at intimate venues, serves as a warm-up for this summer's THE BLACK CROWES tour in celebration of the group's 1990 debut album "Shake Your Money Maker".

During BROTHERS OF A FEATHER's show at the 400-capacity The Foundry at the Fillmore, Chris was apparently annoyed at fans who seemed refused to stay quiet while he and his brother performed.

"If you can't concentrate for a few minutes, why are we doing this?" Chris can be heard telling the audience in one of the fan-filmed clips of the show (see below). After one fan shouted out, "We are sorry. We love you," Chris countered with: "I get it, and we're happy to be here, but it's not any fun if we can't get into it. And we can't get into it when all I can hear is conversations. What's the point? I really wanna know. You're @#$%& grown adults and you paid your money. You should @#$%& pay attention." He continued: "I get it. The vibe is so good, and everyone's happy, but we have to stop, 'cause we can't hear ourselves. Seriously, man. Get it @#$%& together."

Posted by: TornAndFried ()
Date: February 25, 2020 03:13

roryfaninva

Chris Robinson repeatedly admonished the crowd for speaking too loudly during BROTHERS OF A FEATHER's concert last Friday night (February 21) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

The trek, which sees Chris and his brother Rich performing all-acoustic THE BLACK CROWES tunes at intimate venues, serves as a warm-up for this summer's THE BLACK CROWES tour in celebration of the group's 1990 debut album "Shake Your Money Maker".

During BROTHERS OF A FEATHER's show at the 400-capacity The Foundry at the Fillmore, Chris was apparently annoyed at fans who seemed refused to stay quiet while he and his brother performed.

"If you can't concentrate for a few minutes, why are we doing this?" Chris can be heard telling the audience in one of the fan-filmed clips of the show (see below). After one fan shouted out, "We are sorry. We love you," Chris countered with: "I get it, and we're happy to be here, but it's not any fun if we can't get into it. And we can't get into it when all I can hear is conversations. What's the point? I really wanna know. You're @#$%& grown adults and you paid your money. You should @#$%& pay attention." He continued: "I get it. The vibe is so good, and everyone's happy, but we have to stop, 'cause we can't hear ourselves. Seriously, man. Get it @#$%& together."

Good for him. Why would people go to an acoustic show just to talk loudly with their friends?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-02-25 16:35 by TornAndFried.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: February 25, 2020 15:31

He did that last time I saw magpie salute in Grand Rapids. And it was awesome! Idiots in a group talking looking at their phone while they’re doing the most gorgeous version of April’s fool. Casual tourists at a rock concert. @#$%& off.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: February 25, 2020 17:09

I don't blame Chris for being annoyed. He deserves his dickish reputation, but he's right here.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 26, 2020 18:20

He did the same in Amsterdam. Very annoying... Amsterdam and Antwerp treat bands like background music for some reason.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 26, 2020 18:34

Becoming more and more of an issue. People are used to watching things on a screen in their home and talking during it, I guess. My experience seeing Paul McCartney was totally ruined by people talking around me during the entire show.

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: February 26, 2020 19:50

TornAndFried
roryfaninva

Good for him. Why would people go to an acoustic show just to talk loudly with their friends?
\

I dunno....

talking etc. happens all the time to every bar-band that ever existed...if you want to perform, you have to deal w/ less-than-enthusiastic crowds....the key word being "deal"....

maybe the set list sucked? maybe he sucked?

either way, a performer admonishing the crowd is so juvenile.

that being said: I do find yacking away and videotaping the entire show on a cell phone to be an annoying part of concerts these days.

....but, nothing is more annoying/horrible than sitting next to cigarette smoking....especially if it is illegal.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: February 26, 2020 20:10

stickyfingers101
TornAndFried
roryfaninva

\

I dunno....

talking etc. happens all the time to every bar-band that ever existed...if you want to perform, you have to deal w/ less-than-enthusiastic crowds....the key word being "deal"....

that being said: I do find yacking away and videotaping the entire show on a cell phone to be an annoying part of concerts these days.

....but, nothing is more annoying/horrible than sitting next to cigarette smoking....especially if it is illegal.

Tickets are so expensive now that someone ruining your night at the show is like someone burning your sofa or something.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: February 26, 2020 21:04

Philly fans ruin it for everyone! >grinning smiley<

[www.jambase.com]

Posted by: stickyfingers101 ()
Date: February 26, 2020 22:04

Send It To me
stickyfingers101
TornAndFried
roryfaninva

\

I dunno....

Tickets are so expensive now that someone ruining your night at the show is like someone burning your sofa or something.

So, what's Chris Robinson's excuse? He's getting paid to be there.

People scream lyrics out of tune (or the wrong lyrics), they smoke butts, they hold up their camera/phone, they talk, they go back-and-forth to the food stand, they spill beer....they even yell "sit down" nowadays....it's part of the gig.

I tolerate poor singing and lyric memory, I breathe cig-smoke, I move out of the way for passersby, I move my head around dumb phones, I accept beer splashes....in other words, I deal....Chris Robinson should be able to do the same.

Oh...but....I NEVER sit down, so don't ask (ok, maybe during the Keef ballad)

CRs been going backwards for a number of years now.

Date: February 27, 2020 18:09

[www.youtube.com]

Brothers of a Feather - Chris & Rich Robinson (Black Crowes) Thorn in My Pride 2/21/20 World Café

Nice version

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819...LastNext
Current Page: 14 of 24

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1434
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home