Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 16 of 20
Re: OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Posted by: lenchik ()
Date: June 30, 2023 08:01

Newly surfaced Montreal 1977 film

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-06-30 08:01 by lenchik.

Posted by: mosthigh ()
Date: June 30, 2023 09:23

This one's a beaut, posted a few months ago:

1975-06-25 Ivor Wynne Stadium, Hamilton ONT. 8mm w/sound upscaled to 4k. Last show of the tour.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: July 4, 2023 04:37

Well said. And I agree.

quote=RollingFreak]
Could never have a reunion without Richard Wright. So glad he was there at Live 8, even though the cameras didn't care enough to show him. The day he died, any hopes of a reunion went away for me. Wouldn't be legitimate and I could never see Gilmour agreeing now. All 4 of those guys were so important, and Richard is so essential to their overall sound, too frequently overlooked.[/quote]

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: July 4, 2023 13:54

Agree 100%.

I feel the same way about the Eagles without Glen Frey, the Stones without Charlie and the Dead without Garcia.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 21, 2023 11:10

Roger Waters has officially announced The Dark Side Of The Moon Redux - his homage to the original to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side Of The Moon:

Release date: 6-Oct-2023 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] . Digital releases: [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [www.Amazon.com] . More: [RWaters.lnk.to] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-21 11:50 by Irix.

Posted by: Captain Teague ()
Date: July 21, 2023 12:34

Won't be touching this with a barge pole!

There is no artistic statement with this recording, it is all about ego.

Date: July 21, 2023 12:56

Ditto.A ghastly, ghastly error of judgement; as well as comedic, ludicrous, inflated and pointless, but oh so petty, oh so petty ...vacant.

Date: July 21, 2023 16:41

What the hell was that? Waters recycling his own music as a backdrop to make a 'statement'. I guess he can do what he wants with it, but jeez louise, that's rough.

Roger Water-ed down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-21 16:43 by mosthigh.

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: July 21, 2023 17:10

Straight up bloat.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 21, 2023 17:21

Hard to tell if he doesn't really know that the other members of Pink Floyd elevated his writing or if he truly thinks he could have done it all on his own.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 21, 2023 18:27

I didn't realize Leonard Cohen had recorded "Money."

Date: July 21, 2023 19:24

Pass for me.

I have 24 Dark Side vinyl/ CD's and won't be touching this one.

Roger is like a fish out of water without the rest of the band.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 21, 2023 21:38

I thoroughly enjoyed that! It's an interesting and thought provoking updated reinterpretation of the concept he wrote 50 years ago.
Of course it's not classic era Pink Floyd c.1973, but that's not the point. In Rogers own words the project is:

"a tribute to the original work...It’s not a replacement for the original which, obviously, is irreplaceable".

It's stripped down and minimalized which gives it an ominous tone, and has earned the approval of Floyd drummer Nick Mason who stated "it's absolutely brilliant" -
Looking forward to hearing it in it's entirety, and with any luck Roger will reimagine other Pink Floyd albums which he was the mastermind behind - Wish You Were Here, Animals, The Wall, and the Final Cut.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 21, 2023 22:05

Hairball
"a tribute to the original work...It’s not a replacement for the original which, obviously, is irreplaceable".

In his own words he also insults people by saying:

“not enough people recognised what it's about, what it was I was saying then".

I, and many others, recognized what it was about then, and we also recognize this new thing is just crap. Roger had a talent, and still does in the scope of creating a very cool live show. He just can't sing or really write new material on his own that is anywhere near on par with his past, so he's now doing what he can do now to reinterpret his old group work in a worse way. But I guess he's also not holding a gun to anyone's head to buy it, same David Gilmour doesn't with his solo stuff written by his wife, so if that gets them off these days they've certainly deserved it. I would just love something of more substance from both of them cause I think they could still be capable of it.

It'd be great if Roger only stuck to ruining this album though and not any others. We don't need Floyd beat poetry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-21 22:06 by RollingFreak.

Date: July 21, 2023 22:25

For those of us who enjoy the new version (including Nick Mason) there's also the classic 1973 version to enjoy.
For those who can't appreciate it and/or dislike the new version, there's an easy choice to make - stick with the original.

"as a tribute to the original work...It’s not a replacement for the original which, obviously, is irreplaceable". - Roger

Indeed. Looking forward to this, and hopefully more where it came from.

"it's absolutely brilliant" - Nick Mason thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-21 22:26 by Hairball.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: July 21, 2023 22:37

The pros and cons of Roger Waters' DSOTM

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: July 21, 2023 23:24

Unfortunately, This is not a drill.

Date: July 22, 2023 00:45

Massimo68
Unfortunately, This is not a drill.

More like a rusty blender.grinning smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 23, 2023 06:53

Hairball
For those of us who enjoy the new version (including Nick Mason) there's also the classic 1973 version to enjoy.
For those who can't appreciate it and/or dislike the new version, there's an easy choice to make - stick with the original.

"as a tribute to the original work...It’s not a replacement for the original which, obviously, is irreplaceable". - Roger

Indeed. Looking forward to this, and hopefully more where it came from.

"it's absolutely brilliant" - Nick Mason thumbs up

It's fantastic that Roger can do what he did or has done.

It screams of not being able to create new music.

Could you imagine?

After finishing this album, I think the last thing we worked on were the remixes for 'Throwaway', I decided, since I had all these people around, you know, it's all fresh, that I would do my own version of EXILE ON MAIN STREET because, you know, I never really liked the mix, and it'll never get remixed.

I even extended an offer to Keith but he was busy with his album so, writing, so, you know, I mean, I can play some of his licks. I offered it to Rick Rubin but he was busy with whoever, The Cult, so I went with Dave, who had done this record.

In the end it was a mish mash of, you know, it never really happened. I had Sting come in. He did some beautiful work. Prince played some nice guitar on a few things. Joe Elliot found time to sing backing harmonies on several things. A lot of it, actually. I was just asking whoever to help fill it out. But when it was done, it was just there. I mean, it sounded great, it was brilliant, really. So, everyone got paid, of course, but it just didn't turn out like I thought it could.

Mick Jagger - 1987

Date: July 23, 2023 08:05

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but for the double vinyl edition of this Dark Side Redux, there's a brand new 13-minute original composition on side four.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 23, 2023 16:25

Hairball
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but for the double vinyl edition of this Dark Side Redux, there's a brand new 13-minute original composition on side four.

Do you know the title? I'm wondering if it's "The Bar", which was performed on the latest tour.

Date: July 23, 2023 17:45

crholmstrom

Do you know the title?

It's currently only named "An Original Composition" - [RogerWaters.tmstor.es] . It's 13 mins (probably ambient style) inspired by the DSOTM re-recording process - [UltimateClassicRock.com] , [www.Brain-Damage.co.uk] .

The 2LP will be available in black, transparent-orange, violet, transparent-blue, yellow, transparent-red, white - [www.Brain-Damage.co.uk] .

Introducing TDSOTM Redux by Roger Waters - [www.YouTube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2023-07-23 18:40 by Irix.

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: July 23, 2023 21:33

Not terribly interested but think about it, how about the Stones do a 2023/2024 update to one of their great albums. A 2024 version of Exile or Beggar's Banquet or Sticky Fingers. Would be more interesting than a "new" album that has been rumored for years.

Date: July 23, 2023 22:10

daspyknows

A 2024 version of Exile or Beggar's Banquet or Sticky Fingers.

A slowed down version of 'Happy' in the Leonard Cohen style of 'You Want It Darker' ?

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: July 23, 2023 22:47

daspyknows
Not terribly interested but think about it, how about the Stones do a 2023/2024 update to one of their great albums. A 2024 version of Exile or Beggar's Banquet or Sticky Fingers. Would be more interesting than a "new" album that has been rumored for years.

They would have to be doubles to cover the slower tempos these days. Also, as much as I like Ronnie, a Ronnie for Mick Taylor trade wouldn't be good not to mention Steve Jordan for Charlie. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 24, 2023 23:24

daspyknows

In some interview (or was it the promo for DSOTM redux?), Roger said he wanted a version of DSOTM without rock guitars. (Which translates to: He wanted DSOTM without the Gilmour vibe ...)

If applied to the Stones, what would, say, Sticky Fingers without rock guitars be like? An album of mainly bigband tracks? winking smiley

Date: July 25, 2023 17:58

Roger Waters is probably one of the luckiest touring artist of the last two decades.

The 80's saw him flopping when touring in support of his first two solo efforts after he left PF.

But from 1999 onward coming back on the road has been really successful for him - The Wall solo tour even being on top of gross of the year.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: July 25, 2023 19:32

ds1984
Roger Waters is probably one of the luckiest touring artist of the last two decades.[…]

nobody comes close to Ronnie…

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: July 26, 2023 02:10

ds1984
Roger Waters is probably one of the luckiest touring artist of the last two decades.

The 80's saw him flopping when touring in support of his first two solo efforts after he left PF.

But from 1999 onward coming back on the road has been really successful for him - The Wall solo tour even being on top of gross of the year.

You mean, after the Floyd stopped touring?

Date: July 26, 2023 02:20

slewan
ds1984
Roger Waters is probably one of the luckiest touring artist of the last two decades.[…]

nobody comes close to Ronnie…

Ronnie who?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 16 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2853
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home