Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 18 of 20
Re: OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 6, 2023 18:47

I'm listening right now, and it's quite an interesting undertaking. Reminds me of a Laurie Anderson type experience, which I entirely appreciate. I think it also amplifies the beauty of the original album-- I see this more as a companion piece and not really an update or "alternate" version--- even though it's kind of being promoted or discussed as such.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: October 6, 2023 21:26

Its absolutely horrible, and unlistenable crap to me. Almost makes you question what you like about the original till you put on the original and realize "right, Wright, Gilmour and Mason are excellent on the original." Its an interesting experiment because, more than any album in their catalogue to me, it was the amalgamation of these 4 guys. The other albums all lean more one way or the other, but this has always been the truest 4 person effort to me from them. So to take the rest of off... I know his idea isn't to erase the original, its just a thing for him to do, but to me thats why it doesn't work. It was a such a memorable creation from all 4 that a spoken word version without them is meaningless to me. And unthinkable because I CAN'T separate the others from the record.

Having said that, thats just me. If there's an audience for it, good for them. There's no reason Roger can't do whatever he wants, he's earned that right. I will never listen to it again, and I'm not going to applaud his efforts just cause he's Roger Waters, but I'm certainly not against it existing if it has its audience and its not erasing the original.

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: October 7, 2023 00:50

RollingFreak
Its absolutely horrible, and unlistenable crap to me. Almost makes you question what you like about the original till you put on the original and realize "right, Wright, Gilmour and Mason are excellent on the original." Its an interesting experiment because, more than any album in their catalogue to me, it was the amalgamation of these 4 guys. The other albums all lean more one way or the other, but this has always been the truest 4 person effort to me from them. So to take the rest of off... I know his idea isn't to erase the original, its just a thing for him to do, but to me thats why it doesn't work. It was a such a memorable creation from all 4 that a spoken word version without them is meaningless to me. And unthinkable because I CAN'T separate the others from the record.

Having said that, thats just me. If there's an audience for it, good for them. There's no reason Roger can't do whatever he wants, he's earned that right. I will never listen to it again, and I'm not going to applaud his efforts just cause he's Roger Waters, but I'm certainly not against it existing if it has its audience and its not erasing the original.

An exercise in this man’s inflated ego…and it is 100 times worse than one could imagine.

I liken it to being a Doors fan that comes across Jim Morrison’s American Prayer spoken word poetry over atmospheric music…who listens all the way through expecting it to get better, but really just left questioning all of your life choices.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: October 7, 2023 06:00

RollingFreak

I'll adopt this quote from RollingFreak right away before I say anything ... winking smiley

I gave it a quick listen today (admittedly fastforwarding at times) and I find it rarther dull. First, Rog talks too much. Part of the impact of the original stems from the fact that the sung songs are interspersed with three instrumentals (four, if you also count in Speak To Me, and I consider Clare Torry's voice an instrument). Roger of course reduces these parts to their bare musical structure and uses the result as background for some more talking, as what were originally spots for solos now serve as space for yet more spoken word. In my oppinion, another thing that makes the original so impactful is that basically, the songs are (musically/stucturally) rather simple but come in perfect arrangements, enhanced by cleverly chosen "interludes/effects" and great solos. That's all gone now and you're left with a bunch of musically rather simple songs that somehow all sound pretty much the same, without much variation - or solos. Also, I don't find that the spoken word passages really enhance the "message" in any way. Sometimes saying less is saying more. I will certainly listen to it again (at least once, more carefully), but I don't think I will grow to love it.
At any rate, noone can accuse Roger of trying to cheaply raking in more cash. If this is what Roger as an artist felt he has to do, that's totally legit. But I'm not compelled to like it.

Date: October 7, 2023 07:50

doitywoik
RollingFreak

I'll adopt this quote from RollingFreak right away before I say anything ... winking smiley

I gave it a quick listen today (admittedly fastforwarding at times) and I find it rarther dull. First, Rog talks too much. Part of the impact of the original stems from the fact that the sung songs are interspersed with three instrumentals (four, if you also count in Speak To Me, and I consider Clare Torry's voice an instrument). Roger of course reduces these parts to their bare musical structure and uses the result as background for some more talking, as what were originally spots for solos now serve as space for yet more spoken word. In my oppinion, another thing that makes the original so impactful is that basically, the songs are (musically/stucturally) rather simple but come in perfect arrangements, enhanced by cleverly chosen "interludes/effects" and great solos. That's all gone now and you're left with a bunch of musically rather simple songs that somehow all sound pretty much the same, without much variation - or solos. Also, I don't find that the spoken word passages really enhance the "message" in any way. Sometimes saying less is saying more. I will certainly listen to it again (at least once, more carefully), but I don't think I will grow to love it.
At any rate, noone can accuse Roger of trying to cheaply raking in more cash. If this is what Roger as an artist felt he has to do, that's totally legit. But I'm not compelled to like it.

Agree with everything you say about the instrumentation and description of Dark Side. Its what makes it good and this version strips it all of that.

As for Roger's talking, thats hardly new and it was something that got worse, or more noticeable as Floyd went on. He likes talking, and that became very clear on The Wall, then even more so on the Final Cut, and then his solo albums like Pros and Cons were absolutely filled with it. I don't know if its that he just doesn't like to sing (funny, cause he has a great voice on many of their songs), but it clearly became a preference of his, and one I'm glad didn't impact most of Floyd's material cause I never really was fond of it. It seems he likes it more than anyone else, and all I can say for it is its certainly distinctive.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: October 7, 2023 15:14

I like Roger voice very much but are his singing abilities very limited ?

Wasn't the reason why Dave was the main PF singer?

Date: October 7, 2023 16:25

Dave's singing abilities have certainly aged better than Roger's.

As it concerns Roger's "talking", I actually found his version of Stravinsky's and Ramuz's "Soldier's Tale" quite good.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 7, 2023 19:36

Roger sounds like Leonard Cohen on this! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
After a couple of listens I like it!

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: October 7, 2023 20:55

spikenyc

Roger sounds like Leonard Cohen on this!

As dark as in 'You Want It Darker' winking smiley

Date: October 9, 2023 01:00

Dreadful.

I don't think it could have gotten any worse.

One listen was enough for me.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: October 9, 2023 17:59

It took me a while but I simply love it. I’m looking forward for tonights gig and I’m sure live will be even better.

Date: October 10, 2023 04:40

Sounds like there were a lot of unhappy fans last night:

[www.yahoo.com]

Date: October 10, 2023 07:45

georgemcdonnell314
Sounds like there were a lot of unhappy fans last night:

[www.yahoo.com]

Looks like he tightened it up a bit tonight:

Roger started the show reading only one chapter from his upcoming autobiography (contrary to the 3 chapters of the previous night). The film segment was played during the intermission this time. Roger left the theatre with Nick Mason and Tony Smith.

[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: October 10, 2023 21:14

After scratching my head while pondering a sculpture a wise man came up to me and said :

"It's art.....it either moves you or it doesn't"

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: October 10, 2023 22:57

Yeah, it's just a very different kind of album, with lots of spoken word and storytelling. I think Roger's voice is quite good when he sings, and he does sing a bit on the new record, but this isn't really about him trying to improve upon anything. It's just him wanting to take an old piece of art and create something more expressive, lyrically, a sort of lyrical update, as I see it. The Redux is a lyrical experience with the songs as a backdrop. I really enjoyed listening, but I knew right away that there'd be a lot of classic rock fans who would be puzzled and pan it immediately on social media. I like that kind of introspective, expressive performance art, and I think RW is a bit of a performance artist that way, with the Wall film, and his subsequent solo albums. There are these intense stories trying to come through. In the DSOTM Redux, he pushes the stories all the way through, and it creates a very different experience. Not one you'll want to listen to stoned while watching the Wizard of Oz.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-10 22:58 by Tate.

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: October 11, 2023 03:00

Talk about fan participation.
This is so cool!
They should do the Stones next!

Salernitana VS Inter: South Siberian Curve Choreography | Pink Floyd "The Wall"SALERNITANA

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: October 11, 2023 16:46

I have no final opinion, i have an answer
Do i really need a second listen to change my opinion??

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: October 12, 2023 06:22

Money was awful, flat and boring, a very poor cover. Time was unlistenable.

There's no point in listening to any more. And he's such an @#$%& to his audience at his "shows".

The wisdom of a lip syncing 80 year old?

Absolute garbage.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 12, 2023 10:52

Utter misery. Went to the show on Sunday and left before the end. Big time self indulgence. I just don't see the point of it unless it is to kick sand in the face of David Gilmour. And don't get me started on reading from his forthcoming autobiography and talking about his duck and cat for more than half an hour. Neither Gilmour nor Waters has made anything as interesting solo as they did together in Pink Floyd and both continue to trade on that band's legacy.

Date: October 12, 2023 16:24

Abraham almost killed his son Isaac
Roger Waters finally killed his supossed own son
Great work to really appreciatte the magnifience of the role of the rest of the band on the fantastic music THEY DID in the 70s
Worst Roger Waters album ever. Worst pink floyd related album ever
I have all his albums. Not this one
Even the melodies and composition are subpar
Masterpieces turned to waste

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 12, 2023 16:33

spikenyc
Sinead O'Connor doing Mother with Roger and members of the Band from 1990, Amazing!

[www.youtube.com]

thnx for posting

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: October 12, 2023 16:36

i dont like redux btw. but thats just personal. think it has been a lot of work and i can imagine some people like it. myself preferring the original.

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Date: October 14, 2023 05:20

Meanwhile I had the chance to listen to the whole album more properly. What can I say, first of all it suffers severely from galloping Waterism (or should I say, Waterization?). Roger apparently tried to construct a sort of (new) framework into which the existing songs (i.e., those with lyrics), would more or less fit. In service of that he uses almost every (formerly) free second (i.e., the originally instrumental spots) as a background for talking (even Speak To Me). This not only makes the whole thing a rather dull affair to listen to but, to me, all that talking does not really contribute anything substantial to the songs or the thing as a whole. At times I felt like shouting, Can't you bloody shut the flaphole for a second, Rog? Also, I don't quite believe him that Redux represents (or comes closer to) what Rog had intended already 50 years ago. Roger did a 20 min video explaining Redux and the framework (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNtZawT1iJY) but I don't see what the new spoken word passages really add to that, it simply doesn't get across.
Rogers would have possibly fared better in reworking everything from scratch into something like a prose-and-poetry album that would have constituted a new work, even if based on DSOTM, instead of just filling available free space with blabber. In a way,Redux reminds me a bit of Allan Parson's 1987 redo of Tales Of Mystery And Imagination with the spliced-in narration by Orson Welles. Didn't really work either. His reduced rearrangement of the music and instrumentation ist certainly interesting and well-considered but it's all drowned out by the constant blabbering.

I'd really love to hear/read what Hairball thinks about Redux. Hairball, where are you?

Date: October 15, 2023 05:03

Besides it being tedious, it is also unnecessary. Waters has shown flashes of brilliance with the Floyd concepts. But this is counter productive. You beat someone over the head with a message, over-explain it, and you lose it all.

Date: October 15, 2023 08:25

Guy just can't help himself:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: October 15, 2023 23:44

OK, for a change, here's Phish's tribute to DSOTM, live on Nov. 2, 1998:

The audience quite audibly had their fun! smiling smiley (It's hard to listen to their version of Great Gig In The Sky without breaking a smile ...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-15 23:59 by doitywoik.

Date: October 16, 2023 13:10

the reggae version of this album is really awesome in comparison THE DUB SIDE OF THE MOON

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 7, 2023 22:35

Pink Floyd releases again old live concerts via streaming services, now from 1973.

All 18 releases:

Live At Vienna Stadthalle, Austria, 13 October 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live At The University of Cincinnati, USA, 8 March 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live At Tampa Stadium, USA, 29 June 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live At Saratoga Performing Arts Center, Saratoga Springs, USA, 17 June 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live At Sportatorium, Hollywood, USA, 28 June 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live at The Rainbow Theatre, late show, London, UK, 4 November 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live At Boston Music Hall, USA, 14 March 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live at The Rainbow Theatre, early show, London, UK, 4 November 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live At Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, NJ, USA, 18 June 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live At Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto, Canada, 11 March 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live at Earls Court, London, UK, 18 May 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live At Chicago International Amphitheatre, USA, 7 March 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live At Radio City Music Hall, NYC, USA, 17 March 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live at Munich Olympiahalle, Germany, 12 October 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live At Merriweather Post Pavilion, Columbia, USA, 20 June 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live At Kiel Opera House, St. Louis, USA, 6 March 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live at Kent State University, Ohio, USA, 10 March 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

Live At Earls Court, London, UK, 19 May 1973 - [www.Qobuz.com] , [Music.Apple.com] , [Listen.TIDAL.com]

(P) 2023 Pink Floyd Music Ltd. under licence to Sony Music Entertainment · (C) 2023 Pink Floyd Music Ltd. Under exclusive licence to Parlophone Records Limited.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2023-12-08 01:20 by Irix.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 8, 2023 00:26

I just listing randomly to some songs of "Live at Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, USA - 18 June 1973 " horrible sound

Posted by: daspyknows ()
Date: December 10, 2023 17:44

NICOS
I just listing randomly to some songs of "Live at Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City, USA - 18 June 1973 " horrible sound

They downloaded these from Dime or Yeeshkul I think. Nothing new here.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 18 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1951
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home