Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920
Current Page: 20 of 20
Re: OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: February 5, 2024 20:10

RollingFreak
MadMetaphoricalMax
I loved The Wall when it came out, I was about 15 - side 1 and 2 especially. Sides 3 and 4 felt a bit indulgent, even then. I started to dislike it after the movie came out - all that bombast.
Like Tommy, I need to pretend the album exists with the movie, cause both movie's ruin the album for me.

I'd say The Wall is perfect up until One Of My Turns. I enjoy the whole album now, but to me thats when it gets a bit too indulgent. That followed by Don't Leave Me Now is when it gets depressing and broadway-esque to me. Before I truly got around to the whole thing, I thought it was a great 50-60 minute album, not an 80 minute one. There was a full side I thought could be trashed. To me, side 3 is SAVED by Comfortably Numb, though Hey You and Nobody Home are also excellent songs. Side 4 has Run Like Hell, and then a repeat of In The Flesh (which I could understand is unnecessary) and then it really goes deep into dictator mode which was never my thing. I can't tell if thats a better or worse album because they felt like they HAD to fill 4 sides. Can't tell if they would have been more or less indulgent without the time constraint.

Exile is 67 minutes and 4 sides, so they could've cut 13 min out of The Wall and it'd still be as long as Exile (Beatles' White Album is 93 minutes on 4 sides...).

Date: February 5, 2024 20:10

RollingFreak
MadMetaphoricalMax
I loved The Wall when it came out, I was about 15 - side 1 and 2 especially. Sides 3 and 4 felt a bit indulgent, even then. I started to dislike it after the movie came out - all that bombast.
Like Tommy, I need to pretend the album exists with the movie, cause both movie's ruin the album for me.

I'd say The Wall is perfect up until One Of My Turns. I enjoy the whole album now, but to me thats when it gets a bit too indulgent. That followed by Don't Leave Me Now is when it gets depressing and broadway-esque to me. Before I truly got around to the whole thing, I thought it was a great 50-60 minute album, not an 80 minute one. There was a full side I thought could be trashed. To me, side 3 is SAVED by Comfortably Numb, though Hey You and Nobody Home are also excellent songs. Side 4 has Run Like Hell, and then a repeat of In The Flesh (which I could understand is unnecessary) and then it really goes deep into dictator mode which was never my thing. I can't tell if thats a better or worse album because they felt like they HAD to fill 4 sides. Can't tell if they would have been more or less indulgent without the time constraint.

Exile is 67 minutes and 4 sides, so they could've cut 13 min out of The Wall and it'd still be as long as Exile (Beatles' White Album is 93 minutes on 4 sides...).

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 19, 2024 02:31

This one is fun to watch..................not sure if it's already been post

Posted by: spikenyc ()
Date: February 19, 2024 19:07

NICOS
This one is fun to watch..................not sure if it's already been post

Watched this last night.
It was wonderful to see them so young and able to get along with each other.
Also the recording of Pompeii and the overdubs scenes was really cool.
Gilmore and Wright doing the vocals on Echos was exceptional!

This is a must watch for all Floyd fans.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: February 22, 2024 20:10

2023 UK-documentary: 'The Story of Syd Barrett & Pink Floyd (Have You Got It Yet?)' on 23-Feb-2024 at French/German TV-broadcaster [www.arte.tv] , [www.arte.tv] .

Date: March 9, 2024 02:51

Lukas Nelson & POTR cover Echoes.
This is not an easy song to cover but they do a decent job.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-03-09 02:57 by spikenyc.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: March 10, 2024 00:42

I was at that Lukas show with Rob at the Fillmore. Top notch cover of Echos!

Date: March 15, 2024 14:40

Pink Floyd - Animals - 2018 Remix in Dolby Atmos:

17-May-2024 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] , [www.Amazon.co.uk] , [www.jpc.de] .

Date: March 15, 2024 17:14

I'm sure many are aware of the Animals 8 Track Pigs on the Wing solo that loops the end of the 8 track (POTW 2) with the beginning (POTW 1). Here it is!

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: March 15, 2024 19:08

Is it Gilmour or Snowy White??

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: March 15, 2024 19:18

KeithNacho

I believe it is Snowy White who also played the solo on the 1977 Tour.

Date: March 15, 2024 20:32

I have this 8-track tape just for this solo. I have really wonder why they did not somehow give it to us on the Animals remasters.

NashvilleBlues
I'm sure many are aware of the Animals 8 Track Pigs on the Wing solo that loops the end of the 8 track (POTW 2) with the beginning (POTW 1). Here it is!

Date: March 21, 2024 18:32

12th graders perform Dark Side of the Moon
Luv this!
There is hope for our younger generation.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: March 21, 2024 19:37

Valeswood
KeithNacho

Correct, its Snowy White. Excellent solo, no idea why it wasn't Gilmour but Snowy did fantastic.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: March 23, 2024 12:44

RollingFreak
Valeswood
KeithNacho

Correct, its Snowy White. Excellent solo, no idea why it wasn't Gilmour but Snowy did fantastic.

Snowy was auditionned for the tour before Animals was completed.
At the time of the audition one of David's solo had been erased by error.
And the band as a test asked Snowy to play a solo of his own on POTWP2.
They found it good enough the keep it on the actual release and subsequently he was logically granted to perform it on the tour.
BTW, on that tour, Snowy is also performing the early solo on Pigs.

Date: March 24, 2024 00:43

ds1984
RollingFreak
Valeswood
KeithNacho

Snowy was auditionned for the tour before Animals was completed.
At the time of the audition one of David's solo had been erased by error.
And the band as a test asked Snowy to play a solo of his own on POTWP2.
They found it good enough the keep it on the actual release and subsequently he was logically granted to perform it on the tour.
BTW, on that tour, Snowy is also performing the early solo on Pigs.
Very interesting, didn't know that!

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: March 24, 2024 03:01

Those are some talented 12th graders!

Date: April 24, 2024 19:15

David Gilmour - new studio album - 'Luck and Strange' :

6-Sep-2024 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Date: April 24, 2024 19:31

Please tour the Southern US!

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 25, 2024 16:37

The "single" is out, nice enough song and a great long bluesy solo (for a change) at the end !

The YT version has some "stuttering" between the 2 and 3 minute marks but the Spotify version is fine.

[youtu.be]

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: April 25, 2024 16:55

I just hope Gilmour’s wife Polly does not again supply her insipid lyrics, but fear that will be the case.

Date: April 25, 2024 19:33

No need to "hope", just read up ;-) It was explained that she wrote most of the lyrics, I'm generally not very focused on lyrics but found those of "The Piper's Call" pretty interesting and with some nice alliterations.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-25 23:10 by gotdablouse.

Date: April 25, 2024 22:00

I know it would be asking too much from him, and he owes me and his fans nothing, but I'd love to see him tour just one more time. I know, many said that on the last tour almost a decade ago, and it was true. He happened to play 2 nights at MSG the two nights I was in Vegas for the first GNR reunion shows, and I don't regret it but I was so angry I couldn't do both. I met a lot of people on that trip who saw Gilmour in New York then flew out for GNR the next night, so there was overlap. But I've never gotten to see him and that guitar sound is just such a big part of my musical life. I'd love if he did even just a few shows in London, NY and LA, but seems like he usually has a big machine for touring and it wouldn't be worth it for the amount of shows he'd do.

Date: April 25, 2024 22:28

I too hope Dave goes on tour. I saw him a bunch of times on his solo tours in the 80's and he is definitely spot on with his shows.

Date: April 25, 2024 23:11

Yeah I was wondering about a tour...you'd think they would have announced something at the same time like they did for "Rattle That Lock" around the same time in 2015. I saw him in the magnificent setting of the antique Orange theater so it would be hard to top that but I'd probably be tempted...

--------------

Date: April 26, 2024 00:54

gotdablouse
Yeah I was wondering about a tour...you'd think they would have announced something at the same time like they did for "Rattle That Lock" around the same time in 2015. I saw him in the magnificent setting of the antique Orange theater so it would be hard to top that but I'd probably be tempted...

If he were to just do a few shows in London, I'd probably fly over. I've threatened many times (Zeppelin reunion, Cream reunion, Mott The Hoople reunion), but never actually pulled the trigger. He'd be worth it. And its mostly cause I know its a whole grind for him to tour, he's older, I don't think he really likes touring that much. So I could totally see if he releases this and doesn't tour, cause he's earned that. But if he were to even do a few shows, I'd definitely have to try and make that work.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 27, 2024 01:10

gotdablouse
The "single" is out, nice enough song and a great long bluesy solo (for a change) at the end !

The YT version has some "stuttering" between the 2 and 3 minute marks but the Spotify version is fine.

[youtu.be]

Yes, the single is out. At first the singing made me think of jazz, but it got rescued by that bluesy solo. I hope the other songs are just as good, and not just mellow fillers.

Posted by: rlj1010 ()
Date: April 27, 2024 01:58

He’s going to tour. The album preorder on his official UK store says if you preorder Luck and Strange, you will get presale access to his UK shows, once they are announced.

Again, this is only for the UK site, not his US store.

[store-uk.davidgilmour.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-04-27 02:02 by rlj1010.

Date: April 27, 2024 05:14

I would fly from the states for this.

I'd love to see him break into some About Face songs but I think he is past this point. Blue Light was kick ass.

And Fat Old Sun was awesome when he pulled this one out of the archives.

One sone I'd really like to see him play is Childhood's End. This is a Dave song. What a riff.

rlj1010
He’s going to tour. The album preorder on his official UK store says if you preorder Luck and Strange, you will get presale access to his UK shows, once they are announced.

Again, this is only for the UK site, not his US store.

[store-uk.davidgilmour.com]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920
Current Page: 20 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2223
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home