Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 19 of 20
Re: OT: Pink Floyd stuff
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: January 31, 2024 17:55

"As part of their ongoing 50th anniversary campaign, Pink Floyd will reissue The Dark Side of the Moon as a special 2LP set on crystal clear vinyl. One side of each LP has music, while the other non-groove sides feature UV artwork. The idea is that the prism spectrum will be seen through the playable side of the vinyl giving you the picture disc ‘experience’ while maintaining optimum sound quality" :

19-Apr-2024 - [SuperDeluxeEdition.com] .

Posted by: NashvilleBlues ()
Date: January 31, 2024 19:03

Pretty cool!

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: January 31, 2024 20:19

This is one of those albums that I've never really understood all the praise heaped upon it.......

Date: January 31, 2024 20:53

VoodooLounge13
This is one of those albums that I've never really understood all the praise heaped upon it.......

Best album of all-time, to me.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 31, 2024 22:35

NashvilleBlues
VoodooLounge13

Best album of all-time, to me.

Correct, one of the greatest albums of all time. A rare moment where a band, completely organically and in unison, had the same vision and committed it to vinyl.

Date: February 1, 2024 00:09

I prefer The Wall. And it's honestly the only Floyd I need. All that you say RollingFreak is what I feel about The Wall. Everyone in unison. DSOTM is just a dud for me, as is quite a bit of Floyd. They have some very good albums - The Final Cut, Division Bell, Momentary, first 1/2 of Piper, Saucerful - but nothing comes close to The Wall for me. One of my all-time favorite albums, and I love Roger Waters' version of it as well with all the guest stars.

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: February 1, 2024 18:47

A shame for such a big anniversary Gilmour won’t tour.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: February 1, 2024 19:51

Roger and Dave will tour again when pigs fly.

Date: February 2, 2024 02:20

VoodooLounge13
I prefer The Wall. And it's honestly the only Floyd I need. All that you say RollingFreak is what I feel about The Wall. Everyone in unison. DSOTM is just a dud for me, as is quite a bit of Floyd. They have some very good albums - The Final Cut, Division Bell, Momentary, first 1/2 of Piper, Saucerful - but nothing comes close to The Wall for me. One of my all-time favorite albums, and I love Roger Waters' version of it as well with all the guest stars.

Thats so funny because I feel its so enormously clear that the Wall is JUST Roger. In fact, I HATED the Wall for so long for that exact reason. I got over it in time, and there is a "band" there, particularly in Gilmour's solos, as he always could do. But it was Roger's vision and lyrics through and through. Dark Side feels like a band effort. It feels like what Floyd was always trying to get to with Atom Heart Mother and Meddle. They'd finally perfected all of that with Dark Side without having to sacrifice anything.

The Final Cut is very good as well. Its just as much a Roger Waters solo album to me as The Wall, but its more musical. Less musical theater. Its Roger's best solo album, in no small part again because of Gilmour's (very minimal) contributions, but that speak volumes. Changes the whole game. Never cared much for Roger's further solo work, or Gilmour's for that matter. Without each other, they were totally boring to me. I didn't care for Momentary Lapse or Division Bell, never could.

Would love to see Gilmour tour, but he of course owes us nothing. If he toured again, I'd be first in line. If he never did, I'd understand, he's old, and just hope he's living a happy life.

Date: February 2, 2024 05:26

RollingFreak
VoodooLounge13

Thats so funny because I feel its so enormously clear that the Wall is JUST Roger. In fact, I HATED the Wall for so long for that exact reason. I got over it in time, and there is a "band" there, particularly in Gilmour's solos, as he always could do. But it was Roger's vision and lyrics through and through. Dark Side feels like a band effort. It feels like what Floyd was always trying to get to with Atom Heart Mother and Meddle. They'd finally perfected all of that with Dark Side without having to sacrifice anything.

The Final Cut is very good as well. Its just as much a Roger Waters solo album to me as The Wall, but its more musical. Less musical theater. Its Roger's best solo album, in no small part again because of Gilmour's (very minimal) contributions, but that speak volumes. Changes the whole game. Never cared much for Roger's further solo work, or Gilmour's for that matter. Without each other, they were totally boring to me. I didn't care for Momentary Lapse or Division Bell, never could.

Would love to see Gilmour tour, but he of course owes us nothing. If he toured again, I'd be first in line. If he never did, I'd understand, he's old, and just hope he's living a happy life.

My opinions line up with RollingFreak on this one. I always enjoy reading VL’s unique opinions. The albums VL likes best from Pink Floyd are either pretty much Gilmour or Waters solo efforts (of course Piper was Syd and Saucerful was Waters with a little Syd and Gilmour in there). On the other hand, I prefer the albums where Waters and Gilmour seem to work together more (although I love their whole catalog, especially Piper): Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals…

Date: February 2, 2024 17:35

NashvilleBlues
RollingFreak
VoodooLounge13

My opinions line up with RollingFreak on this one. I always enjoy reading VL’s unique opinions. The albums VL likes best from Pink Floyd are either pretty much Gilmour or Waters solo efforts (of course Piper was Syd and Saucerful was Waters with a little Syd and Gilmour in there). On the other hand, I prefer the albums where Waters and Gilmour seem to work together more (although I love their whole catalog, especially Piper): Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals…

LOL Why thank you!!! Y'know it's funny because for years I felt like I was missing something with Floyd. Soooooooo many people I knew from both my generation and the one before mine (more so this one actually) listed Floyd as their favorite band, and more often than not, these were highly educated, successful people - folks in executive positions in white collar jobs. Went to ivy league schools or places like Duke. And I was sure maybe I hadn't done enough drugs, or maybe just not the RIGHT ones - never did enjoy the hallucinogens! LOL So last year I gave all od Floyd's catalog a listen, and while I did enjoy some of it - those that I listed - most of it was still a huge miss!! Piper starts off awesome - reminds me of early Who, but then it gets really weird really fast LOL. Saucer continues that but in a somewhat subdued way. And from there things just really go off the rails for me. WYWH is one of my favorite songs - a real classic. But the rest of the album itself? Not so much. I know most despise The Final Cut, but I really enjoyed that one. Probably my 2nd fave after The Wall. Guess I hadn't thought about the contributions of the 2 main band members on the respective albums, but that does seem to be the case. For me, The Wall succeeds in the rock opera sphere - if one call it that (perhaps concept album is better?) - where Tommy and Quad fall just short. They're both great in their own right, but The Wall takes it up a notch. It's a complete story start to finish. And just brilliant. Mother is one of my all-time favorite songs by anyone.

Date: February 2, 2024 17:35

RollingFreak
VoodooLounge13

Didn't Gilmour just tour a couple of years back? Could have sworn I remember seeing dates for him here in the States....

Date: February 2, 2024 18:47

VoodooLounge13
RollingFreak
VoodooLounge13

Didn't Gilmour just tour a couple of years back? Could have sworn I remember seeing dates for him here in the States....

He toured in 2006 and 2016. Thats been about it. Both are sort of a gift for fans too cause he doesn't love to tour. But both were good, different shows from each other. One was with Richard Wright, the other was not.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: February 3, 2024 05:25

VoodooLounge13

You're truly absolutely missing out.

You don't get DSOTM?

It's theeee most brilliant album in rock music ever made - better than any Led Zep or AC/DC or Stones or Beatles etc album.

It's the sound, a soundscape, of humans in space, right here on Earth, about emotional heartbreak and existence in the universe. A musical library of human interaction with music.

Posted by: likecats ()
Date: February 3, 2024 08:31

David Gilmour also toured in 1984.

Date: February 3, 2024 08:44

GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

You don't get DSOTM?

It's theeee most brilliant album in rock music ever made - better than any Led Zep or AC/DC or Stones or Beatles etc album.

It's the sound, a soundscape, of humans in space, right here on Earth, about emotional heartbreak and existence in the universe. A musical library of human interaction with music.

Sorry I cannot agree. The Wall is in my Too 25 all-time favorites. Where is don’t know as I’m really struggling with all of them after the Top 5, but it’s there. To me the greatest ever has got to be Side 2 of Abbey Road.

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: February 3, 2024 16:03

There are no "one best album of all time"

Otherwise if it should have one, let say it is The Freewheelin' and subjectively declare case closed.
smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-02-03 16:03 by ds1984.

Date: February 3, 2024 17:28

LOL. Bob’s got some great albums but none of his are in my all-time list.

Date: February 4, 2024 03:34

Dark Side of the Moon has one aspect every one of us can understand.

It starts with a heartbeat and ends with a heartbeat.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: February 4, 2024 06:32

Does no one besides me love Animals?

Likely mentioned up thread a ways...

~"Love is Strong"~

Date: February 4, 2024 07:25

VoodooLounge13
GasLightStreet
VoodooLounge13

You don't get DSOTM?

Sorry I cannot agree. The Wall is in my Too 25 all-time favorites. Where is don’t know as I’m really struggling with all of them after the Top 5, but it’s there. To me the greatest ever has got to be Side 2 of Abbey Road.

It's not about you agreeing. It's essentially a fact.

I do agree with your greatest ever, regardless. ABBEY ROAD is excellent.

But DARK SIDE OF THE MOON is more excellent.

Date: February 4, 2024 12:46

DSOTM's being better than anything else ever is not a fact at all, but may be the oddest, most singular article of faith I've read on here. It's great, but don't you find it ... portentous? Especially as you get older. And Waters, now, infects his own pool of work, for me. Piper is a better album IMO!! And Wish You Were Here, too. That has aged better for me.
Aside from which there *are* better albums in rock... by the Stones, Beatles, Dylan, Velvets, Fall, Hawkwind, Bowie ... !

Date: February 4, 2024 16:48

angee

I do. Just read the end of my post (a few posts up)…

Posted by: ds1984 ()
Date: February 4, 2024 23:02

angee

For my part I do prefer both WYWH and Animals over TDSOTM.

But TDSOTM is the iconic album from Pink Floyd, there is a before and an after that album.
Cornerstone album.
Fact over personal taste.

Date: February 5, 2024 02:09

ds1984
angee

But TDSOTM is the iconic album from Pink Floyd, there is a before and an after that album.
Cornerstone album.

Meddle, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Animals are all perfect Floyd albums to me. They're all rated pretty equally brilliant to me. The Wall and Final Cut are great albums, I just consider them more Roger than Floyd. And Atom, Obscured By Clouds and Piper are all pretty good, but not flawless to me. Atom is excellent besides Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast.

Date: February 5, 2024 09:04

RollingFreak
ds1984
angee

Cornerstone album.

Meddle, Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and Animals are all perfect Floyd albums to me. They're all rated pretty equally brilliant to me. The Wall and Final Cut are great albums, I just consider them more Roger than Floyd. And Atom, Obscured By Clouds and Piper are all pretty good, but not flawless to me. Atom is excellent besides Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast.

THE WALL is the last body of work that mattered regarding Gilmour and Waters.

THE FINAL CUT is horrible.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: February 5, 2024 18:38

I love Floyd, probably in my top 5. Favorite album is Animals, although I enjoy Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets project in playing pre-DSOTM songs.
That being said, I'm not as fond of The Wall as I once was. Its got some great moments, but the last 1/4th drags for me (e/g after Pink becomes a dictator); The Trial sounds like an Andrew Lloyd Weber thing.
The Final Cut isnt bad, however I treat it like a Waters-solo Album. I must add that I thoroughly enjoy the sound of Division Bell and Endless River.

Date: February 5, 2024 18:57

1. DSOTM
2. Animals
3. The Wall
4. Meddle
5. Piper
6. WYWH
7. Obscured By Clouds
8. Saucerful
9. Division Bell
10. Final Cut

Date: February 5, 2024 18:59

I loved The Wall when it came out, I was about 15 - side 1 and 2 especially. Sides 3 and 4 felt a bit indulgent, even then. I started to dislike it after the movie came out - all that bombast. I always hated The Final Cut. After that, I went right off Waters, and more back to the Syd years, and his solo albums.
I love the music in Animals, the ambience it has. I think the lyrics are a bit crap.

Date: February 5, 2024 19:44

MadMetaphoricalMax
I loved The Wall when it came out, I was about 15 - side 1 and 2 especially. Sides 3 and 4 felt a bit indulgent, even then. I started to dislike it after the movie came out - all that bombast.
Like Tommy, I need to pretend the album exists with the movie, cause both movie's ruin the album for me.

I'd say The Wall is perfect up until One Of My Turns. I enjoy the whole album now, but to me thats when it gets a bit too indulgent. That followed by Don't Leave Me Now is when it gets depressing and broadway-esque to me. Before I truly got around to the whole thing, I thought it was a great 50-60 minute album, not an 80 minute one. There was a full side I thought could be trashed. To me, side 3 is SAVED by Comfortably Numb, though Hey You and Nobody Home are also excellent songs. Side 4 has Run Like Hell, and then a repeat of In The Flesh (which I could understand is unnecessary) and then it really goes deep into dictator mode which was never my thing. I can't tell if thats a better or worse album because they felt like they HAD to fill 4 sides. Can't tell if they would have been more or less indulgent without the time constraint.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 19 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1902
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home