Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 22
Re: Chicago #1 show 21-June-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: 2120Joe ()
Date: June 22, 2019 10:48

Wow that was a great show! Unbelievable good. Mick sounding great and never stops moving, Keith is on, loud and turned way up in the mix along with Ronnie who stole the show except for Charlie’s crisp and strong drumming. Support musicians were all excellent. The boys having a great time. Great setlist. Stripped acoustic guitar B stage. Stones are always good, tonight gods. Those guitars were so loud, front and center. Ronnie great YCAGWYW solo and Keith nailed SFTD. JJF and BS were highlights for me, surprising having seen them so many times. Shook up the set list and 4 songs that could be changing in the next shows. Can’t wait until Tuesday.

Re: Chicago #1 show 21-June-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: slewan ()
Date: June 22, 2019 10:54

hm, only one song not performed in 2017/28 (Sad Sad Sad) and no blues cover for Chicago(!)

as far as I can tell from watching youtube – Dead Flowers must have been great! What a pity that they didn't do this kind of accoustic set in Europe and the UK

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 10:59 by slewan.

Posted by: Stonesfan2146 ()
Date: June 22, 2019 11:01

Mick looked really to be in a better shape than on No Filter 2017/2018, his voice was perfect today, He was giving 100%!! The little acustic break and SSS which had him on guitar too (which is why they played it probably) did bring his overall performance to another level.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 22, 2019 11:02

schwonek
Just got up and watched the show. Great stuff.

Sounds great but how/Where?..............

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: June 22, 2019 11:04

slewan
hm, only one song not performed in 2017/28 (Sad Sad Sad) and no blues cover for Chicago(!)

as far as I can tell from watching youtube – Dead Flowers must have been great! What a pity that they didn't do this kind of accoustic set in Europe and the UK
...wait the second show in Chicago....

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 22, 2019 11:05

[www.youtube.com] Better clips already flowing in. I like that they kept SFM for the opener. But that show intro is way over the top imo. Star Spangled Banner at the end of the 1981 shows maybe, but this is not very hendrixey

Date: June 22, 2019 11:16

EddieByword
schwonek

just search youtube for 'Rolling Stones chicago 2019' – it's just that easy

Date: June 22, 2019 11:16

jp.M
slewan

...wait the second show in Chicago....

you mean wait for them to drop the accoustic set?

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: June 22, 2019 11:19

Just walked in the door at 3AM. Great show! It was cold but once the Stones took the stage I fidn't even notice. Brown Sugar of course WAS played despite what a small few thought. Rambler remained and included a nice part of You Gotta Move. DEAD FLOWERS!! An all time fav of mine. Opened with SFM,and were on fire! Sad Sad Sad would not be my first pick for a deep cut, but we wanted more deep cuts and Sad Sad Dad is pretty deep. Worked well live.I'm pretty sure OOC or Whip won the song vote but Jagger called an audible. YGMR would have been my 4th choice of the list of 4. But still works live and was fine. A LOT of cadual fans there today. Not sure anyone in my section stayed in their seat for more than 2 songs in a row. Overall a GREAT show!

Date: June 22, 2019 11:20

by the way – we now have to ultimative proof that Ronnie's talking bullshit and/or has absolutely no say in the band: He told the press that they'll do Sweet Virgina and Play With Fire… (or maybe they didn't play those two songs because Ronnie couldn't keep his mouth shut?)

Date: June 22, 2019 11:24

They did those two. On tuesday at rehearsals. I guess thats what he meant and the press catched it up wrong.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 22, 2019 11:33

Well they may play them on Tuesday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 11:40 by Chris Fountain.

Date: June 22, 2019 11:38

slewan
by the way – we now have to ultimative proof that Ronnie's talking bullshit and/or has absolutely no say in the band: He told the press that they'll do Sweet Virgina and Play With Fire… (or maybe they didn't play those two songs because Ronnie couldn't keep his mouth shut?)

The reporter said that, not Ronnie. He was talking about the acoustic set in general.

Date: June 22, 2019 11:40

lem motlow
WOW, just fckng WOW-

It’s hard to even find a reference point to use as a tether to allow one to grasp the magnitude of this band.
The sheer triumph of human endeavor on display is just mind blowing.a band of musicians well into their 70s playing a concert in an American Football stadium that holds thousands upon thousands of people... and to just leave all but the most cynical of them in a state of awe is just breathtaking.
Finding a reference point is difficult,Muhammad Ali’s career lasted about 20 years,Shakespeare died at 52,Steve Jobs at 56.
In their own field, their nearest contemporaries,The Beatles and Led Zeppelin have gone by the wayside a half century ago.
The Rolling Stones....honestly,can you believe it?

Yeah, it's incredible.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 22, 2019 11:45

lem motlow
WOW, just fckng WOW-

It’s hard to even find a reference point to use as a tether to allow one to grasp the magnitude of this band.

Finding a reference point is difficult,Muhammad Ali’s career lasted about 20 years,Shakespeare died at 52

Picasso! He died at 82 and days before his death he was still painting good works.
1943 + 82 = 2025. See you then boys! thumbs up

Posted by: MrEcho ()
Date: June 22, 2019 11:52

black n blue
keefriff99
Oh Keith...WHY the hair dye??
looks fine to me. No scarf or bandana keep it off Keith.
Yes, much better than the grey.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: June 22, 2019 11:54

Sigh.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 22, 2019 12:02

slewan
EddieByword
schwonek

just search youtube for 'Rolling Stones chicago 2019' – it's just that easy

ahhh right, I thought it meant he'd watched a complete show..........ta...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 12:03 by EddieByword.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: June 22, 2019 12:28

dcba
lem motlow
WOW, just fckng WOW-

Finding a reference point is difficult,Muhammad Ali’s career lasted about 20 years,Shakespeare died at 52

Picasso! He died at 82 and days before his death he was still painting good works.
1943 + 82 = 2025. See you then boys! thumbs up

Pablo Picasso passed away at the age of 91 or 92 actually.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 22, 2019 12:51

You're right (bad maths from me) : 1881-1973 (iirc).
So that would mean the Stones have to go on till 2035!? Hum... grinning smiley

Anyway I'm listening to Ademotte's tape of the show and the band sounds surprisingly strong!

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: June 22, 2019 13:17

The 2120 South Michigan Avenue short background just before Angie is priceless and yes the tape already sharedon Dime is very good.

HMN

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 22, 2019 13:20

Keith’s dye-job looks ridiculous. Everyone knows he’s fully-grey and balding. He looked fabulous last year, in my opinion. Anyway, more importantly. Great to see Sad, Sad, Sad back in the set-list. It’s first time since 2002?

Re: The Rolling Stones - Chicago 21-June-2019
Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: June 22, 2019 13:42

hopkins
bye bye johnny

Colin Boyle/Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

What guitar is that please?

It is a SWOPE

Posted by: bjornkasm ()
Date: June 22, 2019 13:47

Thanks for all updates. I'm glad SAD SAD SAD is played again. One of the best on the albums from Steel Wheels and onwards. Hope for that one in Washington as well.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: June 22, 2019 13:51

Very happy to hear they are back and it was a great show. Especially to see Mick fit and healthy. The clips I've seen he looks more like his brother Chris than ever before. I do miss Keith's headband.

Posted by: MidnightGambler ()
Date: June 22, 2019 14:37

Sad Sad Sad was a killer, even better played than during the Steel Wheels Tour

The Rolling Stones - Chicago 21-June-2019
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: June 22, 2019 15:09

The Rolling Stones review: A rejuvenated Mick Jagger leads the band at Soldier Field

By Greg Kot
Jun 22, 2019

John J. Kim / Chicago Tribune

When you get a smile from Charlie Watts, it’s something. Watts is the most self-effacing of the Rolling Stones, and typically plays the drums with a focus that precludes trivial amusements.

But on Friday he couldn’t contain the grin that broke out minutes into the Stones’ opening song at Soldier Field. Singer Mick Jagger was prancing down a long runway from the stage through the audience like a rubber-legged kid who’d just been emancipated from school on the first day of summer.

Not bad for a guy who in March underwent what was described as a “minimally invasive” heart valve replacement procedure, which forced the band to postpone the first 14 dates on its spring-summer No Filter tour.

Jagger’s rapid recovery enabled the band to get back on the road for the Chicago dates, which include a second show Tuesday, their first official concerts since July 2018. The singer looked fit, energetic and particularly animated. He seemed to be enjoying himself, yes, but there was also an element of show-and-prove, as if he wanted to make it clear that his health issues were just a minor hiccup, not a potential career-ender.

The Stones have gotten up from the mat more times than a veteran prizefighter. There were the ‘60s drug busts, ‘70s heroin addictions, the Jagger-Keith Richards split during the ‘80s, Richards’ brain surgery after falling from a tree in 2006 – the Stones have somehow persevered for more than 50 years, and now routinely rake in upward of $5 million in revenue every night they perform.

Their fame and a trove of decades-old hits eclipse their need to make new recordings (they’ve only produced two studio albums since 1998). Their set lists have rotated two dozen of their best-known songs for the last 20 years. In that respect, Friday’s set was typical, with only two deeper cuts: “Sad Sad Sad,” from the 1989 “Steel Wheels” album, and “You Got Me Rocking” (“Voodoo Lounge,” 1994). They also were the only two songs from later than 1981.

Which clearly is exactly what the vast majority of the fans paid to see.

The show underlined again how the Stones have morphed into a party band from the renegades they once were. Once-sinister songs such as “Gimme Shelter” and “Sympathy for the Devil” have become sing-alongs. The warped, illicit, downright nasty perspectives of “Brown Sugar” and “Midnight Rambler” have become almost comforting, reassuring classic-rock evergreens.

Yet the Stones remain averse to playing their songs the same way night after night. It’s just not in their DNA. Richards and his guitar accomplice, Ronnie Wood, often sound like they’re still learning the songs as they poke and prod through a thicket of dissonance and distortion. They remain unpredictable, and their roles change nightly. On Friday, Richards was more subdued as he locked in with Watts, while Wood signaled his eagerness with taut solos in “Tumbling Dice” and “You Can’t Always Get What You Want.”

The Richards-Wood guitar interplay stuttered and coughed into existence before locking in during “Before They Make Me Run” and “Tumbling Dice.” With Watts remaining implacable in his brilliance, the groove was allowed to slip and slide. This wasn’t about precision, it was about swing. Jagger twirled his minuscule hips and gangly limbs in a dance with that rhythm, as if his body were being controlled by the flicks of Watts’ wrists.

The core band members — abetted by back-up singers, a horn section and redoubtable keyboardist Chuck Leavell – played as if they knew they had all dodged another bullet. During “Midnight Rambler,” Jagger wailed on blues harp and dipped his head onto Wood’s shoulder, as the guitarists took turns pulling apart the propulsive riff and then weaving it back together again.

On the closing “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction,” Jagger stood between the guitarists’ fuzz-tone assault and dipped at the waist as he wailed the final verse and refrain. Richards looked on with an expression that merged amusement and wonder. Even with a staid set list, the Stones can still find ways to surprise not just their fans, but each other.

[www.chicagotribune.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 22, 2019 15:11

MidnightGambler
Sad Sad Sad was a killer, even better played than during the Steel Wheels Tour

I can’t ageee, going by the YouTube videos I’ve seen. A positive is that it was a rawer rendition, but a little rusty-sounding, still. It’ll improve if they keep it in rotation. The 1989-90 renditions were polished, of course. I enjoyed Keith’s solo in this performance, however. A little too Chuck Berry-like, perhaps. Is it me, or have a lot of keith’s solos lost some of their individuality and uniqueness. Everything sounds like Chuck Berry, now.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: June 22, 2019 15:34

It's already up on Dimeadozen. These are great times we live in!

Date: June 22, 2019 15:48

Did you watch this video yet?

[www.youtube.com]

See how super powerful Mick is now?? It seems like he wants to say in this one "I don't care about my age, screw it I can still do it"!!

Look how happy and proud he is that he's back at the end of the video!! I've not seen him like that in years, omg he just got back into his 60s!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home