Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 22
Re: Chicago #1 show 21-June-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Date: June 22, 2019 18:11

They sound a lot better than dublin and even more hamburg. I think they play really well. On par with the 2018 gigs when they were on fire.

Re: Chicago #1 show 21-June-2019 live updates - The Rolling Stones No Filter Tour
Posted by: Papo ()
Date: June 22, 2019 18:22

[/quote]

Picasso died at 91 ..... "while he and his wife Jacqueline entertained friends for dinner."[/quote]

Sorry, but he died in the morning, shortly after waking up. He could not get out of bed, called for his wife and a few mins later he was gone. But he had been painting the night before, creative and active until the end, despite health issues. Impressive.

Posted by: snoopy2 ()
Date: June 22, 2019 18:29

Great review, thanks smiling smiley You were right about the place being absolutely full, we were about as high as you could get in 440 and the far corners were packed with almost everyone standing most of the show.. Sound was great were we were for most part, some quieter moments I could here a delay/echo, and during Gimmer Shelter we couldn't hear Sasha's voice at all which made me think her sound situation wasn't working.. The biggest thing I noticed was Keith didn't move around as much, didn't come down the catwalk or the sides like I saw so often in 2015, so we figured he was a bit under the weather.. Loved the show!!

filstan
Took in the Chess Studio tour and photo exhibition from 2:00-3:15. Very much worthwhile BTW. Drove over to Soldier Field with two old Stones fans friends and I was pleased/relieved to get a disability spot in the North garage. $50! I had a foot surgery a few weeks ago and didn't want to gimp over from beyond Michigan Ave as I would usually do when the gait is normal.It was worth it to pick up a temporary handicapped placard at the DMV earlier this week. There was some WXRT fueled Stones music being broadcast on the South end outside Soldier field which helped kill some time until the doors opened at 5:30. Hung out in the Club for drinks and eats until 8:00. Weather was cool, but rain held off. A quality windbreaker/raincoat was sufficient.

Stones hit stage at 8:45? I thought they sounded on their game right out of the gate. As per usual at a concert it's all about the sound quality. I can only say from section 214 that there were songs that were really dialed with the mix and a big frontal guitar assault, which is what we want. Then on other songs Keith would wander down in the mix. Bass sound was fantastic last night. Jones was terrific. The entire band was very good. They clunked a change here or there, but so what. It was opening night anyway. Ronnie pulled some guitar licks out of his hat that were stunning. Keith was excellent and when he and Ronnie were up in the mix, the songs soared. Jagger was in outstanding voice.

Setlist was conservative, but since it was the opener why push songs they might not be so comfortable with. I really hope for some blues numbers on Tuesday, but they put together a concert that had to please everyone there. Amazing that these guys still have gas in the tank to perform at that level. They can still find that groove and they know it. Those smiles during songs from the band aren't fake. They still love playing and know when they get it right.

I'm in the front row of section 308 on Tuesday. Closer to the stage and I'm interested to hear how the sound is in that location. The general admission standing area had lots of room for people to move about. Soldier Field was full in the seating area, even in the nosebleed sections all the way in the back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 18:57 by snoopy2.

Date: June 22, 2019 18:35

Keith's solo on sympathy based on YouTube recording was OK, except for the first part where were some strange notes. No big issue.

TeaAtThree
Filstan,
I was on that same Chess records tour at the 2:00 hour! Very cool.

Agree with the review, the guitar sound was impressive. I felt like I could really hear Ronnie's contributions better than any show I had ever seen -- though my last show was Salt Lake City on the Bigger Bang tour.

I do think Keith should hand off the solo on Sympathy or simply drop the song; that solo has been painful for years.

All in all a tremendous opening gig. Wow.

T@3

filstan
Took in the Chess Studio tour and photo exhibition from 2:00-3:15. Very much worthwhile BTW. Drove over to Soldier Field with two old Stones fans friends and I was pleased/relieved to get a disability spot in the North garage. $50! I had a foot surgery a few weeks ago and didn't want to gimp over from beyond Michigan Ave as I would usually do when the gait is normal.It was worth it to pick up a temporary handicapped placard at the DMV earlier this week. There was some WXRT fueled Stones music being broadcast on the South end outside Soldier field which helped kill some time until the doors opened at 5:30. Hung out in the Club for drinks and eats until 8:00. Weather was cool, but rain held off. A quality windbreaker/raincoat was sufficient.

Stones hit stage at 8:45? I thought they sounded on their game right out of the gate. As per usual at a concert it's all about the sound quality. I can only say from section 214 that there were songs that were really dialed with the mix and a big frontal guitar assault, which is what we want. Then on other songs Keith would wander down in the mix. Bass sound was fantastic last night. Jones was terrific. The entire band was very good. They clunked a change here or there, but so what. It was opening night anyway. Ronnie pulled some guitar licks out of his hat that were stunning. Keith was excellent and when he and Ronnie were up in the mix, the songs soared. Jagger was in outstanding voice.

Setlist was conservative, but since it was the opener why push songs they might not be so comfortable with. I really hope for some blues numbers on Tuesday, but they put together a concert that had to please everyone there. Amazing that these guys still have gas in the tank to perform at that level. They can still find that groove and they know it. Those smiles during songs from the band aren't fake. They still love playing and know when they get it right.

I'm in the front row of section 308 on Tuesday. Closer to the stage and I'm interested to hear how the sound is in that location. The general admission standing area had lots of room for people to move about. Soldier Field was full in the seating area, even in the nosebleed sections all the way in the back.

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 22, 2019 18:36

It's magic.
The Stones are always better during the current Tour than during the previous one...
eye rolling smileysmileys with beer

PaintMonkeyManBlack
They sound a lot better than dublin and even more hamburg. I think they play really well. On par with the 2018 gigs when they were on fire.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: June 22, 2019 18:42

Dead Flowers Pit Keith side

[youtu.be]

Posted by: Christiaan ()
Date: June 22, 2019 18:49

Angie. Pit Keith side

[youtu.be]

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 22, 2019 18:54

Thanks for the reports and videos ! About to listen to the Dime recording now.
Keith's solo was pretty good on "Sad, Sad, Sad" but he appears to be less and less mobile...during SFM he even looks completely dazed at times in Christiaan's video :-(

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: June 22, 2019 19:02

Papo

Picasso died at 91 ..... "while he and his wife Jacqueline entertained friends for dinner."[/quote]

Sorry, but he died in the morning, shortly after waking up. He could not get out of bed, called for his wife and a few mins later he was gone. But he had been painting the night before, creative and active until the end, despite health issues. Impressive.

I am sure you are more accurate. I quoted the NY Times but it was probably a first garbled account of how the great man Picasso passed on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 19:05 by triceratops.

Date: June 22, 2019 19:11

gotdablouse
Keith's solo was pretty good on "Sad, Sad, Sad" but he appears to be less and less mobile...during SFM he even looks completely dazed at times in Christiaan's video :-(

Keith is fine. Don't search for things that aren't happening. Solid performance especially for the first night.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: June 22, 2019 19:14

Big Al
Keith’s dye-job looks ridiculous. Everyone knows he’s fully-grey and balding. He looked fabulous last year, in my opinion. Anyway, more importantly. Great to see Sad, Sad, Sad back in the set-list. It’s first time since 2002?

Well most people know Mick and Ronnie dye their hair too so what's the problem with Keith dying his for a change.

Date: June 22, 2019 19:22

gotdablouse

Yeah Keith usually just concentrates on getting the music right first show, he might loosen up a bit as he gets a few shows under his belt, but i agree with you, that was the least he has moved since 07, maybe a little too much weed for nerves, who knows , but i was impressed with his playing all show except for the solo on Satisfaction, he was most likely knackered at the end, he's 76 this year and still drinks and smokes.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: June 22, 2019 19:34

Right, again I thought his playing was fine, better than in Hamburg 2017 by a country mile but I've never seen him look like he did on SFM at 2'48 : [youtu.be]
Guess he was focusing !

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Date: June 22, 2019 19:41

gotdablouse
Right, again I thought his playing was fine, better than in Hamburg 2017 by a country mile but I've never seen him look like he did on SFM at 2'48 : [youtu.be]
Guess he was focusing !

Watching that clip, it was like Mick and Ronnie were trying to wake him up a bit and snap him out of it.

The thing is concerning Keith is that he always starts out like this, sort of looks older than the rest of the band and looks a little lost at times, but he usually finishes tours in better shape, looking healthier and stronger than Mick and Ronnie. I think the road work does Keith good, he slims down a bit and is usually much fitter two thirds into the tour than at the start, only problem being as soon as he gets in good shape the mini tour ends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 19:49 by keithsman.

Re: The Rolling Stones - Chicago 21-June-2019
Posted by: z ()
Date: June 22, 2019 19:47

bye bye johnny

Is that a Collings Keith is playing here?

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 22, 2019 20:13

Keith’s not in that picture. smoking smiley

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 22, 2019 20:17

One of the best tour opening shows I can recall. They were musically solid and all of the little changes (the new intro, the new video, “You Gotta Move” interpolation, Mick and Keith singing together on “Dead Flowers”. I was very impressed.

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 22, 2019 20:19

Koen
Keith’s not in that picture. smoking smiley

Quoting the post crops the picture. You can see the whole pic on the previous page.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 20:32 by z.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 22, 2019 20:24

PaintMonkeyManBlack

Agreed. Only "Satisfaction" displays a clear lack of energy (from Keef?).

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 22, 2019 20:25

powerage78
It's magic.
The Stones are always better during the current Tour than during the previous one...
eye rolling smileysmileys with beer
I don't think in 2017 anybody said they were playing better than in 2016. Especially the first 2017 gigs were way worse that any 2016 concert and I remember people (including myself) really worriying about Keith. 2018 was on a whole different level and (only judging from the videos) this time it is even better than 2018

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 20:32 by StonedRambler.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 22, 2019 20:29

dcba
PaintMonkeyManBlack

Agreed. Only "Satisfaction" displays a clear lack of energy (from Keef?).

Well if they would replicate the original version then that would be perfect. I t is not intended to be an up tempo son. However I think ther version performed (from video view) was very good.

Posted by: StonedRambler ()
Date: June 22, 2019 20:31

keithsman
The thing is concerning Keith is that he always starts out like this, sort of looks older than the rest of the band and looks a little lost at times, but he usually finishes tours in better shape, looking healthier and stronger than Mick and Ronnie. I think the road work does Keith good, he slims down a bit and is usually much fitter two thirds into the tour than at the start, only problem being as soon as he gets in good shape the mini tour ends.
Yeah in Dublin he was also not moving much (let alone Hamburg, but he looked a bit lost the whole first leg). At the end of the tour (Marseille, Stuttgart, Prague) he looked and moved at times like he was the band leader again. Mick seemed a bit knocked out at the end of the 2018 leg (which maybe might have to do with his heart issue)

Date: June 22, 2019 20:48

May the good Lord continue to shine a light on this awesome band and its amazing fans. Thanks for all the updates, pics and reviews!

On the 7th day God created The Rolling Stones

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: June 22, 2019 20:50

Did Ronnie play the black Les Paul instead of his Strat?

That might make his playing be more prominent and different in this show.

Did Keith play his LP Junior at all?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-06-22 20:51 by beachbreak.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 22, 2019 20:54

makemeburnthecandle

Brian sends his thanks, but say's he isn't god. grinning smiley

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: June 22, 2019 21:03

His Majesty
makemeburnthecandle

Brian sends his thanks, but say's he isn't god. grinning smiley

Well said, HM

Though thanks to everyone who remembers what Bill Wyman once said: "...No Brian Jones -No Rolling Stones".
And that's the truth!

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 22, 2019 21:06

Just a lil joke. Brian himself called it right when he said it was essentially two bands coming together to form one.

And now back to the 2019 concert. thumbs up

Date: June 22, 2019 21:07

StonedRambler
keithsman
Yeah in Dublin he was also not moving much (let alone Hamburg, but he looked a bit lost the whole first leg). At the end of the tour (Marseille, Stuttgart, Prague) he looked and moved at times like he was the band leader again. Mick seemed a bit knocked out at the end of the 2018 leg (which maybe might have to do with his heart issue)

Yes, a lot of it is down to is Keith drinking heavy or not, 2017 peepantsgate Keith struggling , 2018 Keith sober, amazing improvement, he looks healthy last night, but not too sure, maybe he's drinking but not too much.
One thing is for sure he was playing focused last night and that's a good sign.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: June 22, 2019 21:17

It's nice to see them playing and having fun. There are (to me) lots of new names posting here and the superlatives are a bit much. To be honest the superlatives seem unreal to me most of the time. It's almost like it is shilling for the Rolling Stones.

I watched half a dozen clips and when Keith is not smiling and there is no twinkle in his eye he looks befuddled.

Glad you are so happy but somewhere there is a complete 1970 or 1971 concert sitting in film canisters on some shelf in some basement. Now to scan that in and remix the sound would be something really special.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: June 22, 2019 21:36

I also noticed Keith was all business last time. Last time I saw the band was 7/4/15 Indy. Keith was all smiles and all over the catwalk. Besides using the B stage he never ernt out there. That said, he sounded amazing. I'd rather have a focused Keith then him running all over the stage just gor the sake of it. Can't wait to see what they play night 2 in Chicago!

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 22

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home