Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Top 40 Songs the Stones Have Played Live The Most
Posted by: JordyLicks96 ()
Date: July 3, 2019 05:56

For the complete list of the number of times a Stones song has been played live:

[www.setlist.fm]

Top 40 Songs:

1. Jumpin' Jack Flash (1152)
2. Brown Sugar (1122)
3. Honky Tonk Women (1092)
4. Tumbling Dice (1078)
*5. Satisfaction (926)
6. Start Me Up (874)
7. It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (794)
8. Sympathy For The Devil (784)
9. You Can't Always Get What You Want (739)
10. Miss You (726)
11. Midnight Rambler (678)
12. Gimme Shelter (646)
13. Street Fighting Man (573)
14. Happy (527)
15. You Got Me Rocking (443)
*16. Paint It Black (395)
17. All Down The Line (328)
18. Before They Make Me Run (295)
19. Bitch (288)
*20. Let's Spend The Night Together (286)
21. Angie (254)
*22. Get Off Of My Cloud (249)
23. Beast Of Burden (240)
24. Shattered (223)
25. Out Of Control (204)
26. Rocks Off (200)
*T27. Not Fade Away (186)
T27. Slipping Away (186)
29. Star Star (178)
*30. Ruby Tuesday (177)
31. Live With Me (172)
32. Like A Rolling Stone (171)
33. Rock And A Hard Place (170)
*34. Under My Thumb (167)
*T35. Little Queenie (161)
T35. Love In Vain (161)
37. When The Whip Comes Down (157)
38. Rip This Joint (155)
39. She's So Cold (151)
40. Wild Horses (148)

Anyone surprised by a song that's in the Top 40?

*NOTE: Setlists for most shows between 1962-1967 are unknown so the list is not 100% accurate.*

UPDATE: The site also lists the medley of "If You Can't Rock Me/Get Off Of My Cloud separately from the 75-76 tours, which they played 88 times. So Get Off Of My Cloud now stands at being played at least 249 times.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-04 00:00 by JordyLicks96.

Re: Top 40 Songs the Stones Have Played Live The Most
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 3, 2019 06:05

Yeah Lil Queenie at 161 ….…. that raised an eye-brow ….

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 3, 2019 06:08

Star Star is some what surprising. It just goes to show that maybe Mixed Emotions should be played more and some other songs off of Tattoo you. EOMS and 60s albums such as Dec Children. Well this debate goes on and on.

Thanks for the post!

Date: July 3, 2019 06:12

Rockman

Definitely for me too. It was played at just about every show during the BRIDGES TO BABYLON TOUR.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 3, 2019 06:15

setlist.fm is a GREAT resource, but it can only compile and collate the data that's it receives.

Ther could very well be many, many setlists that haven't been submitted to the site.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 3, 2019 06:15

Would have thought Wild Horses might be higher on the list - seems I've seen it many times.
Surprised Out of Control and You Got Me Rocking are so high on the list - both played more than Get Off My Cloud....weird.

keefriff99
setlist.fm is a GREAT resource, but it can only compile and collate the data that's it receives.

Ther could very well be many, many setlists that haven't been submitted to the site.

That might explain it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 06:18 by Hairball.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: July 3, 2019 06:18

This why is why Gazza's website is fun to go to- Rocksoff.org he has a lot of early concert setlists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-07-03 06:29 by Chris Fountain.

Date: July 3, 2019 06:22

keefriff99

Made a note for that in the original post. Thanks Keef! Most of the songs after 1967 are pretty much accurate.

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: July 3, 2019 06:33

19th Nervous Breakdown and The Last Time not in the top 40. Out of Control played more than Under My Thumb.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: July 3, 2019 07:36

JordyLicks96
keefriff99

Made a note for that in the original post. Thanks Keef! Most of the songs after 1967 are pretty much accurate.
Popular bands like the Stones are obviously quite well-documented, but I've looked up setlists for smaller bands, and many have incomplete entries, even for shows that have occurred within the last 10-20 years.

It's really up to fans and completists to peer review the entries and keep the site as accurate as possible.

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: July 3, 2019 08:02

'wild horses' played only 148 times!
Maybe 395/'paint it black' feels too small number too...

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 3, 2019 09:55

Hi Jordy,
That's a nice list, but ...
If you really want a very accurate overview, you need to do some hard work (but it will turn you into an expert cool smiley)
Already decades ago I read some amazing books (but most of them are online already for a while!)
Felix Aeplli: The Ultimate Guide (online)
James Karnbach & Carol Benson: It's Only Rock and Roll
Nico Zendgraf: The Complete Works (online)
Ian McPherson: Time is on my side (online, no book as far as I know)
And off course ... Björnulf Vik's IORR (online, no book .. or?)
Nice to read is also Dieter Hoffmann's Schwarz- and Weissbuch.

James Karnbach mentioned "standard setlists" of performances during the very early 60s and I once, some 18 years ago, worked out that the Stones performed many hundreds of times then (twice a day was normal!). When you go through the above literature (I found it really great fun) your "top 50" list will look different cool smiley
Those guys (and several others on photos, bootlegs, etc) have (and still do) great work ... and we can all benefit from it. If you like statistics, GO FOR IT!
Good luck!

Date: July 3, 2019 10:16

georgie48
Hi Jordy,
If you really want a very accurate overview, you need to do some hard work (but it will turn you into an expert cool smiley)
Already decades ago I read some amazing books (but most of them are online already for a while!)

James Karnbach mentioned "standard setlists" of performances during the very early 60s and I once, some 18 years ago, worked out that the Stones performed many hundreds of times then (twice a day was normal!). When you go through the above literature (I found it really great fun) your "top 50" list will look different cool smiley
Those guys (and several others on photos, bootlegs, etc) have (and still do) great work ... and we can all benefit from it. If you like statistics, GO FOR IT!
Good luck!

Thanks georgie!!smileys with beer I actually use a lot of those sites when I back my information. Of course this list above is going to be a tad inaccurate. I'd say that most shows from 1968-present are all well-documented. So a song like Not Fade Away I'm sure was played more than 186 times considering how many shows they did in '64-66.

Date: July 3, 2019 10:31

RaahenTiikeri
'wild horses' played only 148 times!
Maybe 395/'paint it black' feels too small number too...

Wild Horses is pretty much accurate believe it or not. While it might seem like a small number of times played, it's in the top 40 compared to how many songs they've played live which is well over 300. Many songs haven't been played often. Only 67 songs have been played over 100 times!!

Paint It Black was played 30-40 times in 1966-1967 and wasn't played again until 1989. It wasn't played at all during the Voodoo Lounge Tour, about 20 times during the Bridges to Babylon Tour and only 15 times during the Licks Tour!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 3, 2019 10:38

I was surprised Ruby Tuesday ranked this high, even higher than Live with me.
I guess the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour had a huge influence.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 3, 2019 10:45

Rockman

Played 161 times could be possible - [TimeIsOnOurSide.com] says it was played in: 1969-71, 1973, 1986, 1997-98, 2013.

1969 had 24, 1970 had 23, 1971 had 18, 1973 had 14 and 1997-98 had 97 Concerts - [en.Wikipedia.org] .

'Little Queenie' was also played on 23-Feb-1986 at the Tribute-gig for Ian Stewart (in London's 100 Club) as well as during the Echoplex Club-Show (Los Angeles) on 27-Apr-2013.

In total there're 178 opportunities that 'Little Queenie' was played ....

Date: July 3, 2019 10:51

<In total there're 178 opportunities that 'Little Queenie' was played ..>

+ In the early and mid-60s.

Date: July 3, 2019 10:55

DandelionPowderman

So the list on [TimeIsOnOurSide.com] is incomplete although it counts all songs since 1962 ?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: July 3, 2019 12:01

JordyLicks96
11. Midnight Rambler (678)

And every version is different! I could listen to
all of those in a row.

Posted by: xke38 ()
Date: July 3, 2019 12:05

Presumably Satisfaction would be #1 reflecting all the '62-'67 shows (about 230 odd dates as of June '65, with 2 shows being played on many occasions, some of which are however included in the Setlist FM statistics).

Date: July 3, 2019 12:13

Irix
DandelionPowderman

So the list on [TimeIsOnOurSide.com] is incomplete although it counts all songs since 1962 ?

I don't know. I should have put a question mark there smiling smiley

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: July 3, 2019 13:12

What are the songs that have never been played?

Date: July 3, 2019 13:25

The Sicilian

What are the songs that have never been played?

All songs on the Sessions List: [StonesSessions.com] minus the songs live performed: [TimeIsOnOurSide.com] .

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 3, 2019 14:22

xke38
Presumably Satisfaction would be #1 reflecting all the '62-'67 shows (about 230 odd dates as of June '65, with 2 shows being played on many occasions, some of which are however included in the Setlist FM statistics).

"Satisfaction" was performed only rarely during the 1970s.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: July 3, 2019 18:29

JordyLicks96
georgie48
Hi Jordy,

Good luck!

Thanks georgie!!smileys with beer I actually use a lot of those sites when I back my information. Of course this list above is going to be a tad inaccurate. I'd say that most shows from 1968-present are all well-documented. So a song like Not Fade Away I'm sure was played more than 186 times considering how many shows they did in '64-66.

I just digged into some old stuff and give you some pretty accurate performance 60s figures:
1962: 39 performances
1963: 296 performances
1964: 318 performances
1965: 209 performances
1966: 82 performances
1967: 25 performances
1968: 2 performances (incl. R 'n' R Circus)
1969: 30 performances
You see that 1963/1964 had more than 600! The total for the whole of the 20th Century was 1739 performances (at least 99.5% accurate, I hope smileys with beer)
Somebody will know how many they did so far in the 21st Century grinning smiley

Date: July 3, 2019 19:57

Gazza can fill in here.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 3, 2019 20:10

georgie48
JordyLicks96
georgie48
Hi Jordy,

Good luck!

I just digged into some old stuff and give you some pretty accurate performance 60s figures:
You see that 1963/1964 had more than 600! The total for the whole of the 20th Century was 1739 performances (at least 99.5% accurate, I hope smileys with beer)

That 63-65 period is just bonkers. 800 shows. An average of 8 shows every 11 days. They must have been knackered. They were very busy recording then too. The millions they rake in now with little studio output can perhaps be seen as deferred payment for their massive efforts back then yet the only still regularly played song from that era is Satisfaction. While they did well, most of the income they generated then went to Record Companies, management etc

Date: July 3, 2019 20:20

grzegorz67
georgie48
JordyLicks96
georgie48
Hi Jordy,

Good luck!

That 63-65 period is just bonkers. 800 shows. An average of 8 shows every 11 days. They must have been knackered. They were very busy recording then too. The millions they rake in now with little studio output can perhaps be seen as deferred payment for their massive efforts back then yet the only still regularly played song from that era is Satisfaction. While they did well, most of the income they generated then went to Record Companies, management etc

That must have been brutal doing 800 shows with screaming girls, riots. No wonder by 1966-67 they stopped touring for a few years. Finally by 1969, they had audiences that'd listen to the music.

Posted by: Ellipooh ()
Date: July 3, 2019 22:26

Even if it's not 100% accurate, I thought the site was fascinating. Lots of cool stuff to click through (and remember)... Thanks for posting the link to it, i had lost it once before

***Can't you hear me knocking?***

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: July 4, 2019 01:41

you got me rocking is a big surprise, over 400 times played.

its up there near the top when considering percentages of possible opportunities to play, its nearly half the total as jj flash but was recorded 26 years after.

personally its a waste of 400 songs, they could have spread it around and played many more in its place.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home