Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: OT: Champions League 2019
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 10, 2019 13:43

EUFA & FIFA's so called "fair play rules" haven't helped anybody.

They may have been well intentioned... but all they do is ensure that the rich clubs get even richer and more successful at the expense of the rest.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 10, 2019 13:49

grzegorz67
Big Al
Loathe all this ‘supporting’ ‘multiple-clubs’ nonsense. It’s like the school playground. Supporting a team means attending matches, investing in the club and, ideally, having some genuine geographical connection. Sky Sports are one of the blaiming factors, for sure. By screening live Premier League football, they caused an increase in Manchester United ‘supporters’ in Kent, where as once they may have followed and attended matches by the only league club in Kent; Gillingham. It’s disgrsceful; utter bollocks.

I'm a Scot living near Swindon. It's the same here. Swindon Town and Oxford United are largely ignored while all the fanboiz watch Corporate Football on Satellite TV. These Clubs might as well be based on Mars. I personally think it's ruined the game.

But at the end of the day it's consumers' freedom of choice. The World has far more serious problems to deal with.

At one stage a rascal wanted to merge Oxford Utd and Reading football club; thankfully, it didn't occur, and the aforesaid rascal, Robert Maxwell, ended up bobbing in the ocean.

Swindon did really well under Glenn Hoddle many years back, but couldn't sustain it.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 10, 2019 14:05

tomcasagranda
grzegorz67
Big Al
Loathe all this ‘supporting’ ‘multiple-clubs’ nonsense. It’s like the school playground. Supporting a team means attending matches, investing in the club and, ideally, having some genuine geographical connection. Sky Sports are one of the blaiming factors, for sure. By screening live Premier League football, they caused an increase in Manchester United ‘supporters’ in Kent, where as once they may have followed and attended matches by the only league club in Kent; Gillingham. It’s disgrsceful; utter bollocks.

I'm a Scot living near Swindon. It's the same here. Swindon Town and Oxford United are largely ignored while all the fanboiz watch Corporate Football on Satellite TV. These Clubs might as well be based on Mars. I personally think it's ruined the game.

But at the end of the day it's consumers' freedom of choice. The World has far more serious problems to deal with.

At one stage a rascal wanted to merge Oxford Utd and Reading football club; thankfully, it didn't occur, and the aforesaid rascal, Robert Maxwell, ended up bobbing in the ocean.

Swindon did really well under Glenn Hoddle many years back, but couldn't sustain it.

I remember it well. Thames Valley Royals was the planned name and it met with furious protests from both sets of fans. Another aborted merger attempt at around the same time was Fulham and QPR to form 'Fulham Park Rangers' attracting equally furious opposition.

I went to a lot of Swindon games when Hoddle was in charge. The football was a genuine joy to watch with the added bonus of still having terracing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-10 14:09 by grzegorz67.

Date: May 10, 2019 14:12

tomcasagranda
[....At one stage a rascal wanted to merge Oxford Utd and Reading football club; thankfully, it didn't occur, and the aforesaid rascal, Robert Maxwell, ended up bobbing in the ocean.

I don't think they ever had Oxford United or Reading "ultras" in the frame for that one ....Maybe Chief Inspector Morse missed a trick ? grinning smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 10, 2019 14:22

Spud
tomcasagranda
[....At one stage a rascal wanted to merge Oxford Utd and Reading football club; thankfully, it didn't occur, and the aforesaid rascal, Robert Maxwell, ended up bobbing in the ocean.

I don't think they ever had Oxford United or Reading "ultras" in the frame for that one ....Maybe Chief Inspector Morse missed a trick ? grinning smiley

Swindon v Oxford is one of the nastiest local derbies in the English lower leagues. There's trouble whenever they meet and it's always heavily policed, with assistance from a Helicopter !

Posted by: RG ()
Date: May 10, 2019 14:42

As a big Ajax fan I have been too the match at the stadium. It was unbelievable. Everbody was in shock. I still can't believe it. But we showed the world again what we can achieve with our style. I am a proud fan of Ajax, but yes, still very disappointed. sad smiley

Date: May 10, 2019 15:47

IT's great pity that they won't be able to keep that young side together...because in a coupe of years they'd be amongst the favourites.

Of course, Spurs in the past have themselves been affected by that same issue of losing their best players to the "ivy league" clubs when just at the brink of being able to compete at that level .

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: May 10, 2019 19:03

grzegorz67
Spud
tomcasagranda

Swindon v Oxford is one of the nastiest local derbies in the English lower leagues. There's trouble whenever they meet and it's always heavily policed, with assistance from a Helicopter !

I think if the merger between Reading and Oxford took place, it would've been apocalyptic, and both clubs would've entered receivership. Nobody knew at the time what a scoundrel Maxwell was, and how he defrauded the Mirror Group pensioners.

Date: May 10, 2019 19:15

Big Al

Good post.
In many sports now it is all about PR, glamour, stadium access, TV coverage outside of country; i.e. money.
I love hard cities where the team hasn't won a pennant or title in years and years, yet they have hardcore fanbase and sell out in freezing cold. That's the way.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 10, 2019 19:51

On the other hand - if the players aren't local why should the audience be? Football has become transglobal and multi-cultural. For the better, some say. Others are more skeptical.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 11, 2019 10:54

Spud
keithsman
Spud
You cannot be an Arsenal fan and a Tottenham fan at the same time.

Each half of yourself would then be obliged to hate the other with more venom than your sanity could withstand. grinning smiley

Yes you can winking smiley My Dad was from Highbury and my Mum from from Tottenham , both sides of the family split, i'm the only one in the family who supports both sides, like to see them do well, and although i'm a Gunners supporter i don't mind Spurs beating us if they deserve it, plus it puts a smile on the face of my Mum and brothers. Don't understand all this cave man stuff, we are the same people, all this division between people is BS, it's taught to you, it's not natural.
When it comes to individuals now that's different, you like a human being or you don't, that's not taught to you, that's instinct.

Congrats to Spurs, epic game, they have to win the final now smileys with beer

Fully agree, I don't get the tribal stuff either .

My original post was typed rather with tongue in cheek...

..just felt I'd better say it before somebody who really meant it started throwing things grinning smiley

That's right Spud, and like you say, although there is a lot of rivalry between local teams, when it comes to playing other teams, very often fans support the nearest local team against others, we also have this North and South divide, where a Southern team will support a Southern team against a Northern team and visa versa grinning smiley i'm not even going there, but yeah it's tribal, we are still primitives, same all over the world.

Posted by: Paddy ()
Date: May 12, 2019 02:07

I’m sticking my neck out and saying City will blow it tomorrow.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: May 12, 2019 03:17

Paddy

Well, some strange things have happened this week...........

Re. support of teams and rivalry............we have a saying in Wales....."I support Wales and everyone who plays against England"...................all in good humour of course..........cool smiley

Date: May 12, 2019 05:19

I’m Irish and have supported Liverpool since 87, my dad supported them but the reason I followed them was they had Aldridge, Houghton, Whelan, Staunton, Beglin, Lawerenson and others before who played for Ireland. The first game I sat and watched alone was the FA cup final in 88.

However I grew up in Ireland, playing Gaelic Football & Hurling. (GAA games) where you can only play for the team of the area you were born into. It makes sense to me to have a local connection to a team and it means more when you win.

Mick might just be a “sports” fan who likes a game of soccer more than following one team.

Posted by: biggzee ()
Date: May 12, 2019 21:04

Paddy
Stuck your neck out too far
Championes! Championes!
Come on spurs you’ve got to do it now!
CTID

Date: May 12, 2019 21:17

biggzee
Paddy
Stuck your neck out too far
Championes! Championes!
Come on spurs you’ve got to do it now!
CTID

It was pure wing and a prayer... Great season none the less.

Date: May 13, 2019 13:43

Congrats to City,

Hard luck Liverpool

A really Great season .

The only disappointment has been that the chasing Pack , Spurs, Chelsea , etc rather ran out of steam over the last month or two ...

Otherwise it might have been an even more exciting three or four horse race as. On their day those teams can be just as good as City & Liverpool

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-05-13 13:45 by Spud.

Posted by: z ()
Date: June 18, 2019 06:26

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1809
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home