Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 50
Re: HONK - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: March 15, 2019 11:19

ukcal
what happened to the live tracks with Bill and Mick Taylor, didn't bruce sprngsteen do tumbling dice at least three times, also guest spots from Clapton and John Foggerty??

Could have been just a live cd for my money, even add dylan doing rolling stone with them again at least twice from 98

fire the management - it is a half baked idea at best, they do relise that we
can get all the missing/good stuff on youtube....

The live CD's duets are with popular artists that the band's accountants believe will sell more units. Bill and Mick T won't mean anything to casual customers, unfortunately.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 11:45 by Father Ted.

Posted by: micawber ()
Date: March 15, 2019 11:51

I won't buy that crap.

Re: Stones Latest Post
Posted by: matxil ()
Date: March 15, 2019 11:51

ironbelly
Should we start?
1. This is going to be the greatest thing ever!
2. I can't wait, look at that tracklisting!
3. I have pre-ordered 3 sets! (2 to be kept sealed)
4. It shipped!
5. Even better than I thought it was going to be!
6. It sucks.
7. A missed opportunity.
8. Looking forward to the 60th anniversary set.

thumbs up

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: March 15, 2019 12:03

She's a rainbow live is special to me because I was at the show.

To be recorded live with my heroes in an official issue gives me a very great feeling. It is like to applaud them for ever... to be written in stone while screaming, applauding, dancing for them.

Please, honk for me... honk for the Stones !!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 14:14 by RiffKichards.

Posted by: winos ()
Date: March 15, 2019 12:51

Just what the world needs is another greatest hits from the Stones.....really is that as good as it gets???

pool's in but the patio ain't dry

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 15, 2019 14:05

Edit - just looked back and realised I was repeating someone elses earlier observation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 14:06 by sjs12.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 15, 2019 14:20

Doxa
That said, as usual when CDs are transformed into vinyls, the result is usually artificial (one main reason why I haven't warmed up into the 'come back of vinyl'). When I first saw the track list, based on vinyl versions, those sides didn't make much sense (in terms of flow, how the songs fit together, etc.). The CD version 'looks' better. So it is rather likely that HONK - as any product today - is planned foremost as a CD version. The live album is just an extra (to attract die-hard and Ed Sheeran fans).

- Doxa

Very true.

Much as I remain in love with vinyl [and grateful that we can once again buy most new releases in that format], the constant flow of unnecessary & false double albums, with about three tracks per side of overly loud & compressed music, is doing my head in !

It's all part of the reason folks think albums are dying I suppose.

First we had the very structured vinyl format, which by its nature required about 20/ 25 mins or half a dozen songs per side.
Much consideration typically went into the running order and what went on which side. That structure and order was often a significant part of an album's vibe or character.

Then we had CD as the industry standard, with artists now required to come with an hour or more of quality product, on just one side with the listener then able to easily alter the running order or skip tracks at the push of a button.
The album's "identity" began to be greatly diluted.

Now we have streaming , with no physical structuring [other than tradition] to dictate how many songs or how many minutes of music is released...

There's no longer any fusty old cardboard sleeve to sniff , nor even a jewel case to break in frustration as we try to extract that little booklet, legible only to those with the eyesight of a Peregrine Falcon !

There , I feel better for that little moan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 14:53 by Spud.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 15, 2019 14:21

Christos
So many similarities...

This is exactly what struck me the moment I saw the cover art.

IF you were going to try and do something reminisence of a previous album cover, Jump Back would not be the obvious starting point. I would have thought either something entirely new, something based around the No Filter theme or back to the archives with an interesting twist would have been the way to go.

Also, what is it with animal sounds for compilation album titles? (Grrr / Honk)

I have no issue with another best of compilation. They do sell and are great for people getting into the band for the first time. My first Stones album was probably Rolled Gold and the second was probably Rewind.

Maybe the live songs will make it worth buying this one?

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: March 15, 2019 14:42

I was thinking the same thing. I want the live Disc only. However, it is interesting to see Rocks Off in a different format. It costs $25 to stream.

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 15, 2019 14:55

sjs12

I would have thought either something entirely new, something based around the No Filter theme or back to the archives with an interesting twist would have been the way to go.

HONK (71-16) is simply an updated Jump Back (71-93) - therefore it's ok (except maybe the name).

The NoFilter-Tour isn't over yet so maybe there will be later on an appropriate release. And I'm quite sure there will be a lot of Archive-releases when the Stones aren't active anymore ....

sjs12

Looks like the Live-Tracks can also be bought as single purchase via Download - [www.Amazon.co.uk] - [www.Qobuz.com] - [iTunes.apple.com] .

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: March 15, 2019 15:00

Nice words Spud. It seems the music business only has itself to blame. They're too greedy. The all at once syndrome. My 2 cents.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: March 15, 2019 15:06

The joke's on us and they're laughing all the way to the bank.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: March 15, 2019 15:11

Irix
sjs12

I would have thought either something entirely new, something based around the No Filter theme or back to the archives with an interesting twist would have been the way to go.

HONK (71-16) is simply an updated Jump Back (71-93) - therefore it's ok.

The NoFilter-Tour isn't over yet so maybe later on a appropriate release. And I'm quite sure there will be a lot of Archive-releases when the Stones aren't active anymore ....
May I object politely? winking smiley
Honk (71-16) is not a simple update to Jump Back (71-93) for one reason. Jump Back was mastered by Bob Lugwig. And the tracks on Honk, with 99% probability, would be 2009 UMG re-master, i.e. brickwalled to death. There is no way to match reasonably the volumes for 1993/1994 Virgin/Ludwig re-masters and all albums prior Live Licks with tracks from 2004 onward unless you use 2009 UMG/Marcussen work.

But otherwise, yes, the idea behind 2CD version is very similar.

Date: March 15, 2019 15:15

Deltics

The joke's on us and they're laughing all the way to the bank.

Yep: they laugh themselves while counting the money - especially for Record companies are Compilations easy made money ....

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 15, 2019 15:19

I'll buy it due to the live tracks. It's a bit thin gruel, but then I hope Bridges To Bremen and Talk Is Cheap reissue will compensate.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 15, 2019 15:20

MrEcho
35love
“Just for the record, on the latest Billboard 200 chart, 28 albums are Greatest Hits collections” (quote)

What does this say? Humans imprinted these songs in their brains, into their DNA/ computer chip / computer corporate cultural takeover
and humankind can no longer take in new music, new art
Advert, Sports, Replay bombarded the same stuff over over over and now we’re stuck?

Too deep? Okay rah rah greatest hits.
(still in a bad mood)

There is so much great new music out there, but you won't find it in mainstream media or the Billboard charts. It's happening in underground clubs and it is being written about in independent media. When Rock & Roll started the situation was basically the same – it was a regional phenomenon, ignored by the mainstream media and Sam Phillips was selling records out of the trunk of his car.

Very slim percentage of people have/can/want/ legal age to go to clubs.

Date: March 15, 2019 15:20

ironbelly

Honk (71-16) is not a simple update to Jump Back (71-93) for one reason. Jump Back was mastered by Bob Ludwig.

You're right about the probably used Masters - but with 'simple update' I meant mainly the very similar concept between Jump Back and HONK.

Btw: they would have had now the chance to use the 2018-Remasters (by Miles Showell) from the Vinyl-Boxset 1971-2016 .... but if you click/tap on the Trackname of 'Wild Horses (Live)' on [www.Qobuz.com] - it says: "Stephen Marcussen, Mastering Engineer". He did the 2009-Remasters ....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 16:50 by Irix.

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: March 15, 2019 15:30

i hope they sell the live disc separately... no reason to buy the studio discs...

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: MononoM ()
Date: March 15, 2019 15:31

tour is starting in a few weeks.
thats why they did release this.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Life's just a cocktail party on the street

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 15, 2019 15:48

I’ve looked here in the US, it seems I do have to buy all 3 CD’s to get the 1 live. Rats.
I do not want anymore greatest hits, drives to Tahoe and colleges have not converted anyone trapped in a car with me at this point, HONK HONK isn’t gonna either....

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 15, 2019 16:04

Chris Fountain

I was thinking the same thing. I want the live Disc only. However, it is interesting to see Rocks Off in a different format. It costs $25 to stream.

This is about the only valid reason for 'die-hards' to moan about. They are forced to buy the whole set if they want to have that extra live album including non-released material (Ed Sheeran fans will just stream their song). That live album works similarly like the new songs for FORTY LICKS and GRRR... There is a good commercial reason for that (they know they have a strong diehard fan section with their pockets always open)...

Otherwise, like some more cooler heads have mentioned here, HONK is nothing but an updated version of JUMP BACK (which was an updated version of REWIND, which was an updated version of MADE IN THE SHADE), each just covering more ground as the years go by, to get a Promotone (post '71) era greatest hits. Most likely there is always an audience for those kind of releases, and that, if anything, keeps their record company happy. For the potential target audience, casual fans and fresh ears, it is actually a good thing that a greatest hits collection is updated once in a while to get more complete picture of their career (there is no reason - or even possibility - for ABKCO era to do that, so HOT ROCKS is here to stay for good, covering nicely that era). I don't have any use for any of these releases, since they are not aimed at me. I will skip this one as I did with JUMP BACK and REWIND (and I don't even own HOT ROCKS). Not even that bonus live album does the trick for me, since I have lost that kind of completist mindset years ago as far as their (post 89) live performances go. No need for that or, say, BRIDGES TO BREMEN. So I am free of that 'die-hard issue'. Sorry, Mick..grinning smiley

I am actually grateful that they didn't include any new song there, since that most likely would have forced me to purchase the album, like those bastards once fooled me with FORTY LICKS and GRRR...smoking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 16:07 by Doxa.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: March 15, 2019 16:07

MononoM
i hope they sell the live disc separately... no reason to buy the studio discs...[/[/b]quote]

..and that is exactly why they won't offer it separately .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-03-15 16:07 by Spud.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 15, 2019 16:09

Doxa
Chris Fountain

This is about the only valid reason for 'die-hards' to moan about. They are forced to buy the whole set if they want to have that extra live album including non-released material (Ed Sheeran fans will just stream their song). That live album works similarly like the new songs for FORTY LICKS and GRRR... There is a good commercial reason for that (they know they have a strong diehard fan section with their pockets always open)...

Otherwise, like some more cooler heads have mentioned here, HONK is nothing but an updated version of JUMP BACK (which was an updated version of REWIND, which was an updated version of MADE IN THE SHADE), each just covering more ground as the years go by, to get a Promotone (post '71) era greatest hits. Most likely there is always an audience for those kind of releases, and that, if anything, keeps their record company happy. For the potential target audience, casual fans and fresh ears, it is actually a good thing that a greatest hits collection is updated once in a while to get more complete picture of their career (there is no reason - or even possibility - for ABKCO era to do that, so HOT ROCKS is here to stay for good, covering nicely that era). I don't have any use for any of these releases, since they are not aimed at me. I will skip this one as I did with JUMP BACK and REWIND (and I don't even own HOT ROCKS). Not even that bonus live album does the trick for me, since I have lost that kind of completist mindset years ago as far as their (post 89) live performances go. No need for that or, say, BRIDGES TO BREMEN. So I am free of that 'die-hard issue'. Sorry, Mick..grinning smiley

I am actually grateful that they didn't include any new song there, since that most likely would have forced me to purchase the album, like they those bastards once fooled me with FORTY LICKS and GRRR...smoking smiley

- Doxa

You can see it this way: you pay 15 euro for the live album (while the average price for a new release is 20 euro) and you get two greatest hits CDs for free to keep in the car or at the seaside or to give to firends ...

[store.digitalstores.co.uk]

C

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 15, 2019 16:16

i dont care for these live versions, .
useless release, imo. I understand they want extra money from people in the USA. its a big market. But they are not gonna get my money for this one.
jeroen

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 15, 2019 16:21

So now we have our sneek peek at the super secretive setlist for the upcoming tour.

Re: HONK" - Limited Edition compilation out April 19
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 15, 2019 16:31

diverseharmonics
dcba

Not if - like Jagger - you're obsessive about keeping the Stones as a trendy hip entity in the eyes of the 12-20 music buyers. In that regard Grohl is the nec plus ultra.
Isn't Dave Grohl around fifty-something years old now?..hardly a hip youngin' anymore.

Sure but it's the age of the bums that are jiggling in the pit that counts not the age of the bums that are jiggling onstage. Translation : Grohl just turned 50 but he draws young crowds.

Jagger wants the same for the Stones. If you draw an older crowd you can charge more per ticket but your band is automatically rejected in the "nostalgia act/semi-hasbeen" category. Jagger wants to avoid that.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 15, 2019 16:39

liddas

You can see it this way: you pay 15 euro for the live album (while the average price for a new release is 20 euro) and you get two greatest hits CDs for free to keep in the car or at the seaside or to give to firends ...

Hahaha, yes indeed... the product isn't that expensive at all (or depends on format)... But I guess quite many of us are trying at the moment to discover a suitable way to explain to their conscience why it is reasonable to buy this mostly totally useless product...

I think had they included one Taylor "Rambler", they would have caught me...

- Doxa

Posted by: glimmertwin1 ()
Date: March 15, 2019 16:42

Doxa
liddas

Hahaha, yes indeed... the product isn't that expensive at all (or depends on format)... But I guess quite many of us are trying at the moment to discover a suitable way to explain to their conscience why it is reasonable to buy this mostly totally useless product...

- Doxa

Yes more Mick Taylor would make me buy this ...

Kate Perry would have been nice too spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 15, 2019 16:46

If this is the Stones, trying to test the water...
Bad move. Maybe the casual and average people will buy it. I think the diehard fans wont go for this one.

jeroen

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 15, 2019 17:00

Doxa
liddas

- Doxa

Already bought Sweet Summer Sun for that only reason ...

C

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...56789101112131415...LastNext
Current Page: 10 of 50

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home