Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
What's your stones confession?
Posted by: Room1009 ()
Date: December 17, 2018 16:56

Still a bit ashamed to confess this, but I've still not listened to Blue And Lonesome. I know some of the songs, but have never yet sat down and played the whole thing to the end. Which is odd for me cause every other album has received my full attention.

Re: What's your stones confession?
Posted by: Spud ()
Date: December 17, 2018 17:23

I left Roundhay Park in '82 10 mins before the end because I had to catch the last train home .

How pathetic is that for a man with a long history of sleeping on provincial station platforms or on the pavement outside Kings Cross.

[ My excuse was that I didn't feel very well. Pathetic grinning smiley]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-17 17:38 by Spud.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: December 17, 2018 17:27

Room1009
Still a bit ashamed to confess this, but I've still not listened to Blue And Lonesome. I know some of the songs, but have never yet sat down and played the whole thing to the end. Which is odd for me cause every other album has received my full attention.

I have never listened to neither Between the Buttons nor Their Satanic Majesties Request entirely (and DW only 3 or 4 times and then never again). BtB I have heard all the individual songs and I dislike all of them. With TSMR I have collected the good songs. The other 50% I have listened to once and then never ever again in my life want to come close to it. (And likewise for the bad 70% of DW).

I can definitely guarantee you that Blue And Lonesome is better than any of those 3 albums. However, I have to confess in the 2 years that it has come out, I have only listened to it, at most 9 or 10 times.

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: December 17, 2018 18:51

I rate Buttons very high; did from the start. the yank release the only one I know;
it's a really important Stones album to me historically, but more than that, it's got a handful of really Great songs and performances
that I do still go, all these decades later, to Several songs on there.

It's just one's fan opinion though. For me and kids of that generation, as a new release,
kicking off with Tuesday and All Sold Out and Miss Amanda Jones, My Obsession...hell with a list.
i like the entire album. It's a great and important Rolling Stones album to me.

I 'get' that Andrew is no producer and the technical aspects of the sessions as produced and delivered isn't good as as Lot of others.
lol, my life has been seriously changed, for the better, by Boots from this band, and various others,
that would have made this sound like Jimmy Miller's best day ever in comparison.

B&L is a horse of a different color, or course, but as a listening experience in total,
I went through exactly once. Loved a few and singled them out...
...think i gave fanboy review of some kinds when it presented itself...

imo, some of it is sooo good...some of it is sooooo fake....(imo Mick's honest soul
don't come through when he's doing his blues 'impressions'
w the over-amped growls and stuff.
i 'get' he's the best screamer. i really mean that, stupid as it sounds, i do trust his artistic soul.
Sometimes his straightforward plaintive deliveries even, in slower country blues numbers from various periods,
hit so hard emotionally;
even tho there's often that characteristic, 'eye roll' or 'in joke' kinda thing he does to make it seem lighthearted or mega dramatic,
showing he's a sense of humor and fun about it despite whatever crushing lyric of heartache and things gone lonesome and, uh, blue.

i don't listen to all of YSMR, but have, and been a better hoppy for it.
My 'opinions' are most excellent, informed, experienced, deft and
a stunning and remarkable example of deep personal deep fandumm.........whoa hold on a minute...
wow...

exhale...

whoa..

ok, back..
well thats enough for now.

merry christmas

Date: December 17, 2018 18:52

oh, my confession? I love Between The Buttons.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 17, 2018 18:57

Not telling unless there’s a Witness Protecion Program in effect.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 17, 2018 19:01

Not a fan of a majority of Mick's solo material, but enjoy when he guests on other artists tunes most of the time.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 17, 2018 19:04

I found the Dec. 1992 Winos show I attended, boring (and ear-splitting too).
The "Psaulm 69" Ministry show I had attended a month before (which was equally ear-splitting) was a lot more exciting.

Sorry Keith... put down that blade! grinning smiley

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: December 17, 2018 19:04

Redacted. Temptation is a terrible thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-18 03:03 by Rocky Dijon.

Date: December 17, 2018 19:06

Buttons is a GREAT, GREAT album. It is.
All this super tech re-mastering and what invisible magic b.s. youtube does
for volume mastering or whatever...IMPROVES Buttons. even Yesterdays Papers, which sounds so dull sonically on the vinyl, even back then comparatively. It was easy to notice and easy also to overlook. (the bad production sonics on original release)...
it roars, the changes, the stops. Mick is INTO it; he's writing hard and really experimenting in a lot of ways, that real 'toughness' and edge is there.
there's nothing nothing nothing even vaguely clownish about The Rolling Stones in this vital super-important, historic era, for me, well,
i don't much care about general fan opinion, or even more disconnected public opinion. None of them have to sit here in my place (tho you're welcome) and hear it. I like Buttons even more and more with time. I am sure that several ofthose tracks come very close to being among the very best we've been lucky to get from these boys. This was a crucial and important period; the songs are like reports from the Front, lyrically. It's one hell of a brilliant rock and roll album by these young cats in their mid 20's...it's an enormous achievement.
equally, do not have a personal concern about Mick's own opinion and statements on most Any of their work; i listen to him cause i love my rock star, and he's supreme, but in interviews i'm listening for interesting bits of historical info, or maybe just some inspiration with the world's most savvy entrepaneur. (send a spelling ap someone hoppys old and broke)
....entrapahmaure...en6r...eb;... sigh...
entrenapour. @#$%& that red lines red lines red liens red lies ...
salesman, pr type west toast promo under assistant...
diplomatic.
keith is depplomatic.
hoppy out.

Date: December 17, 2018 19:13

Agreed 100% on BETWEEN THE BUTTONS being an underrated masterpiece.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 17, 2018 19:17

Lurv Cherry O Baby ….. suits the way I walk when I'm blistered ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: December 17, 2018 19:28

Altamont disaster - some of the best Stones tracks!

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: December 17, 2018 19:32

That I love them and have been called names about it .

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: December 17, 2018 19:33

I wish Ronnie was more involved in the songwriting.

Stay With Me, etc. show a underused weapon.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 17, 2018 19:39

This borders on blasphemy, but . . . I'm not a big fan of EOMS.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: December 17, 2018 19:45

I really don't like Emotional Rescue, Some Girls, DW and Undercover. Sorry.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 17, 2018 19:46

DaveG

I bet you were born in the 70's or 80's

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: December 17, 2018 19:50

Cooltoplady
DaveG

I wish! No, been a fan since 1965.

Posted by: z ()
Date: December 17, 2018 20:06

Nothing to confess here. I'm a saint when it comes to the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: December 17, 2018 20:08

Room1009

I've still not listened to Blue And Lonesome.

Neither have I. No biggie. It's a recording. It's not going anywhere. I'm sure I'll get 'round to it one of these days. grinning smiley

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: December 17, 2018 20:09

DaveG
Cooltoplady
DaveG

I wish! No, been a fan since 1965.

well then yes its blasphemy. smiling smiley

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 17, 2018 20:09

Mick Taylor holds the record for blowing it as both a band member and a guest.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 17, 2018 21:30

i didn't like Keith's book much at all.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 17, 2018 21:36

duke richardson

Same here. It read like the memoir of a profesional drug addict who'd sometimes dabble in making music. Very disappointing.
I'd have loved to see Keith describe some of his creative process that gave birth to all these classics. But nah.. It seems that Sessler (and his endless supply of magic product) left a bigger impression on him than Mick ever did.
Sad...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-17 21:37 by dcba.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: December 17, 2018 21:41

I don't think Mick Jagger is one of the greatest rock singers (he very good in doing blues songs and singing ballads though)

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: December 17, 2018 21:47

slewan
I don't think Mick Jagger is one of the greatest rock singers (he very good in doing blues songs and singing ballads though)

Each his own.
But not "one of" the greatest? Could understand "not the" greatest, but.. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: mattyman76 ()
Date: December 17, 2018 22:14

dcba
duke richardson

Same here. It read like the memoir of a profesional drug addict who'd sometimes dabble in making music. Very disappointing.
I'd have loved to see Keith describe some of his creative process that gave birth to all these classics. But nah.. It seems that Sessler (and his endless supply of magic product) left a bigger impression on him than Mick ever did.
Sad...

The reason Keith and freedy sessler were so close is that Freddy survived a concentration camp and WW2 etc and Keith is a histiran and interested in freddy stories and Freddy supplied him with free merc.. Pleass

Posted by: TumblinDice76 ()
Date: December 17, 2018 22:21

Spud
I left Roundhay Park in '82 10 mins before the end because I had to catch the last train home .

How pathetic is that for a man with a long history of sleeping on provincial station platforms or on the pavement outside Kings Cross.

[ My excuse was that I didn't feel very well. Pathetic grinning smiley]

Between the Buttons is my least favorite Stones album. Amanda Jones is the only song besides Ruby Tuesday and Let's Spend the Night Together that I like. This album is filler at it's worst.

My Stones confession is (and yes I realize I'm putting a huge target on my back by saying this) that I don't hate Dirty Work. I like it better than Between the Buttons, Satanic, Black & Blue, Undercover, and Steel Wheals. Yes, the cover is awful, yes back to Zero and Winning Ugly are great examples of mid 80's horrible sound and production. But songs like Had it with You and Dirty Work are great examples of the Stones going back to their Chuck Berry Roots. Too Rude has always been a guilty Keith pleasure as well. Is Dirty Work a good Stones album? Of course not, but far from their worst IMO.

Date: December 17, 2018 22:23

duke richardson

Not much of a confession from me, but yes, I agree with you. It changed my perception of Keith to an extent.

I would be interested in knowing the impact the book had on his relationships with Ronnie and Charlie.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1855
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home