Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8
Re: Keith on cutting back on drinking: "I got fed up with it."
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 20, 2018 08:34

mandu
RoughJusticeOnYa
keithsman
watching the American version of the office, they just don't get it.

Completely un-agreed.

They do 'get' it; in their own, particular way.

As a continental European, I'm really close to British humour, and I've been growing up with it for 50 odd years now. So I feel I did 'get' the original -
and while the American version is what it is: an American interpretation, and therefor quite different from "the Office" UK, they did touch the same nerves in that series...
And by doing so, they created what I consider to be one of the very best - and allow me to say, from a personal point of view: one of the very few really good - USA comedy series of this day & age.
Maybe I just don't 'get' USA comedy; so be it then - but "the Office" USA, I really really liked. And for all the right reasons.

The british version of the office is fantastic,its kinda like what would happen in a real office.people really do behave like that.I tried to watch the american version but didnt like it that much.just not the same as the british version.

I became hooked on the British version of The Office on a 12 hour flight from London to L.A. that showed multiple episodes on one of the channels, and ended up buying 'the complete series' of all episodes on dvd soon after.
Little Britain was another show I discovered on one of those lengthy flights between L.A. and London, and again bought all episodes on dvd. And then there was Extras - another one created by and starring Ricky Gervais, and again I bought all the episodes.

As for the Office (USA) never could get into to it - maybe if I was stuck on a 12 hour flight and forced to watch it, that would help?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 20, 2018 08:53

Hey yeah same as Aftermath … Between Da Buttons ….High Tide Green Grass... UK versions rule

ROCKMAN

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 20, 2018 10:32

Doxa
Witness

However, Doxa, are you not on this occasion presenting too much of a one factor explanation of this band's development through major, medium and minor peaks and relative and sometimes absolute slumps, that is, with a focus on Keith's part of it. From your exposition it is as if, were it not for Keith's drug use, he would have contributed to creativity without any stops. And somehow you have, again on this occasion, abstracted from characterisic points of their development. Especially from what one may call their artistic turn that THEIR SATANIC MAJESTYS REQUEST paved the way for. Also, on the other hand, from the exhaustion that GOATS HEAD SOUP in its lethargy displays from musical innovation during the preceding years, for instance in one of Keith's best Keith sung songs," Coming Down Again". Later on, past their artistic period, there was still music made that instead of 'artistic, may be described as deeply inspirational. I am referring to the Pathe Marconi albums, of which Keith has his share. And when both Keith and Mick after that time period, influenced by their disagreements on material, the two of them do not write quite as good songs as in the past, one ought to be aware that the more reserved reception to their albums from their conservative buying public has contributed to take away incentives to be more active in music making.

In other words, Keith's use of drugs and alcohol has had its impact, I don't object, but in a richer context, which I have only alluded to. It is paradox for me to remind you, you know so very much more than me about these subjects. But you seem almost to have been intoxicated (!) by the perspective you chose.

Well, I think the whole story of the (downhill of) creativity of the Stones in general and Keith in particular is much richer and complicated than I described above. Of course. What I did was to just emphasize one factor, and I really don't have any clue if anything I said holds court (or to what extent). It was just one consistent and coherent way (or attempt to that) to explain certain phenomenons we have wittnessed along the years. It was controversial for sure because for once I tried look the case without typical non-natural heroism involved in discussing the topic of Keith and drugs. Just a human, raw and naked perspective (without any glamour and myths) reflecting what drugs and booze does for one's behavior in the long run.

But like I said that's not the way I generally like seeing the Stones. For example, I much rather like to see Mick Jagger not wanting to co-work with Keith because Mick doesn't find Keith 'inspiring' enough (or for some other 'pure' artistic reasons) but not because of Keith's unbearable drunken behavior. The latter just sounds way too harsh, easy and 'naturalistic' explanation. Nor I don't like to see Keith or the Stones losing their true muse and focus after EXILE due to their heavy drugs use. I rather like to see them just running out of fresh ideas, them of completing everything they know and can by EXILE, and thereby having a 'natural' artistic downhill (or, if one likes, just getting old in basically young man's game). Or like with Keith, him by then having gotten about any sensible new idea from the open tuning that was somehow within the reach of his curious mind. Him just running out of bullets. Not that of him shooting most of his creative cells in his brains out. But I am afraid that that of trying to tell everything in pure artistic terms isn't satisfactory enough, and that one needs certain causal, non-musical stories to complete the picture.

I actually hate using the drug card in explaining anything in music, but sometimes I need to admit that it might have a real explanatory role in trying to understand their doings. Both positively and negatively. My story above stemmed out of that. But I hope anyone sees the hypothetical and over-simplifying (and, of course, rhetorical) character my story has. It wasn't written to be taken literally, but just to open up one possible perspective to consider.

- Doxa

Doxa and Witness, I read your discussions with real interest. To some extend there is a lot of truth in them, but, guessing you are both closer to my age than to "youngsters", I like to add an aspect that has nothing to do with drugs. It's the process of aging. How few youngsters from the sixties and on have been creating inspirational music decades later? The process of aging includes "building up" experience. Experience as such is already a thread to spontaneity. In fact experience of "elder" may be useful for "youngsters", but for the "elder" it often becomes a filter that takes away spontaneity. Off course, being surrounded by all those people who look upon you as being "gods" doesn't help either.
Intense contact with "youngsters" is one way of taking away that filter. And it then can result in the return of some of that "ancient" spontaneity ... temporarily. You can see that happen a lot in the music world. And it works both ways! I've never been disappointed in new Stones material over the decades (okay, there is always the odd song) and I look forward to their new album with confidence.
Maybe that other great band, U2, will find new inspiration that way, because ...

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: December 20, 2018 13:05

Good man Keith, you made the right choice. Don't booze your life away.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: December 20, 2018 13:45

Stoneage
Imagine where The Stones would have been had Keith (and Ron) made this decision 30 years ago?

Well look no further than Mick to give you that answer.

Keith would had made an album called "I'm The Boss"

Ronnie would have taken up fretwork and amassed a nice collection of Ming China vases winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-20 14:14 by keithsman.

Date: December 20, 2018 18:26

"I'm the Boss" - thumbs up

Welcome back keithsman - been a long time, but it seems like only yesterday!winking smiley

keithsman
Intense contact with "youngsters" is one way of taking away that filter. And it then can result in the return of some of that "ancient" spontaneity ... temporarily.

How do you think this applies to Mick? He has an intense interest with "youngsters" - not only musicians, but girlfriends too.
As for the music aspect, do you think his interest and intense contact with youngsters has helped with the music he creates? Whether solo or with the Stones?
Surely it gives him alot of vigor to go out to clubs and stay up to date with the latest trends, but when he tries to channel that youthful vibe musically- especially at his age now - doesn't seem to come off very well imo.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 20, 2018 20:50

Mick Taylor on cutting back on eating: "I fed myself too much."

Date: December 20, 2018 20:56

schillid

Full quote:

“It’s been about a year now, I pulled the plug on it. I got fed up with eating. It was time to quit, just like all the other stuff.
I don’t notice any difference really – except for I don’t eat. I wasn’t feeling right. I’ve done it. I didn’t want that anymore.”

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 20, 2018 22:37

Hairball
schillid

Full quote:

“It’s been about a year now, I pulled the plug on it. I got fed up with eating. It was time to quit, just like all the other stuff.
I don’t notice any difference really – except for I don’t eat. I wasn’t feeling right. I’ve done it. I didn’t want that anymore.”

If he doesn't eat....is it like a hunger strike he's on?
Or do you take drugs to supress the appetite?

Date: December 21, 2018 00:05

Hairball

Welcome back keithsman - been a long time, but it seems like only yesterday!winking smiley

How do you think this applies to Mick? He has an intense interest with "youngsters" - not only musicians, but girlfriends too.
As for the music aspect, do you think his interest and intense contact with youngsters has helped with the music he creates? Whether solo or with the Stones?
Surely it gives him alot of vigor to go out to clubs and stay up to date with the latest trends, but when he tries to channel that youthful vibe musically- especially at his age now - doesn't seem to come off very well imo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-21 00:52 by keithsman.

Date: December 21, 2018 00:25

keithsman
Hairball

georgie48
Intense contact with "youngsters" is one way of taking away that filter. And it then can result in the return of some of that "ancient" spontaneity ... temporarily.

Sorry Hairball but the quote you have from Keithsman isn't my quote, not a quote from Keithsmanconfused smiley

Oops sorry keithsman - my mistake - fixed it.
But now that you're here, wondering what you're thoughts are on this?

And it's always nice to hear from georgie48 - maybe he can chime in as well!
Mick and the Fountain of Youth...might be a good name for his new band if the Stones ever call it quits.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: December 21, 2018 00:25

georgie48
Doxa
Witness

However, Doxa, are you not on this occasion presenting too much of a one factor explanation of this band's development through major, medium and minor peaks and relative and sometimes absolute slumps, that is, with a focus on Keith's part of it. From your exposition it is as if, were it not for Keith's drug use, he would have contributed to creativity without any stops. And somehow you have, again on this occasion, abstracted from characterisic points of their development. Especially from what one may call their artistic turn that THEIR SATANIC MAJESTYS REQUEST paved the way for. Also, on the other hand, from the exhaustion that GOATS HEAD SOUP in its lethargy displays from musical innovation during the preceding years, for instance in one of Keith's best Keith sung songs," Coming Down Again". Later on, past their artistic period, there was still music made that instead of 'artistic, may be described as deeply inspirational. I am referring to the Pathe Marconi albums, of which Keith has his share. And when both Keith and Mick after that time period, influenced by their disagreements on material, the two of them do not write quite as good songs as in the past, one ought to be aware that the more reserved reception to their albums from their conservative buying public has contributed to take away incentives to be more active in music making.

In other words, Keith's use of drugs and alcohol has had its impact, I don't object, but in a richer context, which I have only alluded to. It is paradox for me to remind you, you know so very much more than me about these subjects. But you seem almost to have been intoxicated (!) by the perspective you chose.

Well, I think the whole story of the (downhill of) creativity of the Stones in general and Keith in particular is much richer and complicated than I described above. Of course. What I did was to just emphasize one factor, and I really don't have any clue if anything I said holds court (or to what extent). It was just one consistent and coherent way (or attempt to that) to explain certain phenomenons we have wittnessed along the years. It was controversial for sure because for once I tried look the case without typical non-natural heroism involved in discussing the topic of Keith and drugs. Just a human, raw and naked perspective (without any glamour and myths) reflecting what drugs and booze does for one's behavior in the long run.

But like I said that's not the way I generally like seeing the Stones. For example, I much rather like to see Mick Jagger not wanting to co-work with Keith because Mick doesn't find Keith 'inspiring' enough (or for some other 'pure' artistic reasons) but not because of Keith's unbearable drunken behavior. The latter just sounds way too harsh, easy and 'naturalistic' explanation. Nor I don't like to see Keith or the Stones losing their true muse and focus after EXILE due to their heavy drugs use. I rather like to see them just running out of fresh ideas, them of completing everything they know and can by EXILE, and thereby having a 'natural' artistic downhill (or, if one likes, just getting old in basically young man's game). Or like with Keith, him by then having gotten about any sensible new idea from the open tuning that was somehow within the reach of his curious mind. Him just running out of bullets. Not that of him shooting most of his creative cells in his brains out. But I am afraid that that of trying to tell everything in pure artistic terms isn't satisfactory enough, and that one needs certain causal, non-musical stories to complete the picture.

I actually hate using the drug card in explaining anything in music, but sometimes I need to admit that it might have a real explanatory role in trying to understand their doings. Both positively and negatively. My story above stemmed out of that. But I hope anyone sees the hypothetical and over-simplifying (and, of course, rhetorical) character my story has. It wasn't written to be taken literally, but just to open up one possible perspective to consider.

- Doxa

Doxa and Witness, I read your discussions with real interest. To some extend there is a lot of truth in them, but, guessing you are both closer to my age than to "youngsters", I like to add an aspect that has nothing to do with drugs. It's the process of aging. How few youngsters from the sixties and on have been creating inspirational music decades later? The process of aging includes "building up" experience. Experience as such is already a thread to spontaneity. In fact experience of "elder" may be useful for "youngsters", but for the "elder" it often becomes a filter that takes away spontaneity. Off course, being surrounded by all those people who look upon you as being "gods" doesn't help either.
Intense contact with "youngsters" is one way of taking away that filter. And it then can result in the return of some of that "ancient" spontaneity ... temporarily. You can see that happen a lot in the music world. And it works both ways! I've never been disappointed in new Stones material over the decades (okay, there is always the odd song) and I look forward to their new album with confidence.
Maybe that other great band, U2, will find new inspiration that way, because ...

You were doing fine up to your last sentence.

Date: December 21, 2018 00:45

Hairball
keithsman
Hairball

georgie48

Sorry Hairball but the quote you have from Keithsman isn't my quote, not a quote from Keithsmanconfused smiley

Mick and the Fountain of Youth...might be a good name for his new band if the Stones ever call it quits.

Yeah cheers Hairball, as i say i'm off for a break .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-21 02:17 by keithsman.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: December 21, 2018 04:40

Many musicians peaked artistically when they were on drugs and booze.

IMHO it didn't hurt Keith one bit in terms of his music.

Didn't he say he got a lot more out of it than it got out of him?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-21 04:42 by beachbreak.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: December 21, 2018 04:48

beachbreak
Many musicians peaked artistically when they were on drugs and booze.

IMHO it didn't hurt Keith one bit in terms of his music.

Didn't he say he got a lot more out of it than it got out of him?

The Winston Churchill quote: who’s zooming who.

Date: December 21, 2018 06:59

keithsman
Hairball
keithsman
Hairball

georgie48

thumbs up

I assume you edited out that reply as to not upset a certain contingent, but then again that's never stopped you (or myself) from voicing an opinion in the past, nor should it.
I thought it made alot of sense and was a worthy post, but will leave it at that. See you back here tomorrow. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-21 07:00 by Hairball.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: December 21, 2018 09:14

Hairball
keithsman
Hairball

georgie48

Hi Hairball,
Yeah, Mick. Well, for one thing I think "Miss You" could be an example of Mick "going young". How about "Anybody seen my baby"? His "Super Heavy" project was quite interesting too. At least he tries out some unexplored musical areas with the help of "youngsters". So far the impact on "his" Stones music is not spectacular, but I think he tries to find ways to do so. And somehow (occasional Instagram input) I get the feeling his new life with the ballet dancer may have some influence on the forthcoming new Stones album. But it may be wishful thinking from my part grinning smiley
I always thought that his "Hard Woman" should have been tackled by Keith and the other Stones. Some modifications here and there and it could have been another "Angie". Having said that, I personally prefer the rougher Stones.
Marry Christmas, everybody!smileys with beer

Date: December 21, 2018 09:27

Hairball
keithsman
Hairball
keithsman
Hairball

georgie48

thumbs up

I assume you edited out that reply as to not upset a certain contingent, but then again that's never stopped you (or myself) from voicing an opinion in the past, nor should it.
I thought it made alot of sense and was a worthy post, but will leave it at that. See you back here tomorrow. winking smiley

You got it Hairball, they wear you down to a point that it's just not worth having an opinion any more, too much intimidation from too many posters.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 21, 2018 14:58

keithsman
Hairball
keithsman
Hairball
keithsman
Hairball

georgie48

thumbs up

You got it Hairball, they wear you down to a point that it's just not worth having an opinion any more, too much intimidation from too many posters.

I've got something for you:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Do what the girl in the second video does: Lighten up, keithsman! Nobody wants to bring you down here. And remember: It all happened for a reason...

Merry Christmas!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-21 15:04 by retired_dog.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: December 21, 2018 15:08

It seems to take only one link per post, so here is the second one (with the girl):

Cheerio!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-21 15:09 by retired_dog.

Date: December 21, 2018 15:23

retired_dog
It seems to take only one link per post, so here is the second one (with the girl):

Cheerio!

That was interesting (clip). I find this much more interesting and if I could hear it cleaned up *cough Rolling Stones
it could blow my mind so tasty

ROLLING STONES: I'm Going Down
[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: December 21, 2018 17:42

So Keitsmen why do you Edit you,re post against Jagger? I saw the post last night,and i am shocked.You called Mick Jagger a phedofile pig.So why do you Edit IT?I think that,s you,re personal opinion,so why do you take IT off?

Date: December 21, 2018 18:16

harlem shuffle
So Keitsmen why do you Edit you,re post against Jagger? I saw the post last night,and i am shocked.You called Mick Jagger a phedofile pig.So why do you Edit IT?I think that,s you,re personal opinion,so why do you take IT off?

No i didn't, what a horrible thing to say, BV should be able to look at what i posted, it wasn't anything like that.

What a cheap trick to try and get someone banned, absolutely despicable troll like behavior, you should apologize, that's not done here, no one goes that low in all the time i have watched this site.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-21 18:25 by keithsman.

Date: December 21, 2018 18:19

retired_dog
keithsman
Hairball
keithsman
Hairball
keithsman
Hairball

georgie48

thumbs up

I've got something for you:

Do what the girl in the second video does: Lighten up, keithsman! Nobody wants to bring you down here. And remember: It all happened for a reason...

Merry Christmas!

Yeah you have a Merry Christmas too Rip This, no hard feelings, we all love the same band at the end of the day thumbs upsmileys with beer

Date: December 21, 2018 18:36

keithsman
harlem shuffle

No i didn't, what a horrible thing to say, BV should be able to look at what i posted, it wasn't anything like that.

What a cheap trick to try and get someone banned, absolutely despicable troll like behavior, you should apologize, that's not done here, no one goes that low in all the time i have watched this site.
I saw what you posted last night,so.no point to deny it.You can come up with last nights post,before you edit it.

Date: December 21, 2018 18:43

harlem shuffle
keithsman
harlem shuffle

I saw what you posted last night,so.no point to deny it.You can come up with last nights post,before you edit it.

Hairball knows what i posted, BV will know what i posted.

Date: December 21, 2018 18:56

It doesent matter what you say Keitsmen,i saw it and probably someone else alsow.
And Hairball was aggrying with you,so,to have him AS a witness mist be a joke

Date: December 21, 2018 19:14

Hey I embarrass myself constantly on here look ‘I’m Going Down’ is on Metamorphis
can’t know everything (unless you’re Rocky Dijon)
Go discover some Stones song you forgot about/ buried deep
love you ruffians Merry Holidays——

Date: December 21, 2018 19:17

harlem shuffle
It doesent matter what you say Keitsmen,i saw it and probably someone else alsow.
And Hairball was aggrying with you,so,to have him AS a witness mist be a joke

Well what ever you read it wasn't anything like your interpretation, that's your mind i'm afraid, Mick is a healthy adult who only goes with consenting adults, nothing more could possibly come from me, ok enough already, i'm getting out of this crazy place, it's getting weird.

Date: December 21, 2018 19:37

harlem shuffle

In defense of keithsman, and taking a stance against complete bullshit - WTF are you talking about?
No way, no how, and nowhere did keithsman say anything of the sort - I saw it all before he deleted it as it was a reply to my question.
Why you would want to twist it in anyway is beyond me, and maybe you should take a step back from spreading vicious lies.

Meanwhile, listening to the link of Weep No More posted by retired dog and trying to imagine if Mick could do as good of a job as that young lady in the video.
Something tells me that Keith - once a choirboy - could probably do it some justice, while Mick might not be able to capture the pure emotion.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 6 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1565
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home