Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Roxy Music
Date: October 12, 2018 15:32

We've probably had a Roxy thread; may even been started by myself. But I just got done listening to them.
It's a bit of a drag that many people think of the ate era Roxy Music; together with Ferry's solo albums. I hardly consider 'Avalon' or 'Flesh & Blood' when I think of Roxy, and certainly not the string of identical, sleep inducing solo albums by Bryan.
But those first 5 albums ( and also Bryan's first...maybe 4 solo records) are fantastic.
Even the first 5 records can be split up into Eno era, and post Eno.
It has been said that the second "For your Pleasure" may be their finest moment, and I have also subscribed to that notion, but now I believe that the first album is the best. When they dropped that thing on the world it was literally something from out of space. Nobody was even remotely close. Bowie maybe had the nerve. But that first side; those 4 songs; and the artwork, the look of the band...whew. I read that ferry wrote that first album alone before even having the band on a piano. Great stuff, and then you got Eno, Manzanera, McKay adding their spice to it.
"Ladytron" is beautiful, the sections, the .Oboe, the lead guitar, the synth. "Remake" is bizarre writing. You hear his influences, but they are re-arranged for modern ears. Same with "2 HB". But "If there is something" is glorious; that end section is very moving. But already back then, I think I knew that Side 1 was the one.
Eddie Jobson was a worthy replacement for Eno; and ferry's writing stayed strong through "Stranded" and "Country Life". "Siren" was a tiny bit weaker IMO.
Now I always liked "Manifesto"; although it has many detractors. But on "Spin me Round" you can see which way Ferry was headed.

I think they were very avantgarde; way ahead of the pack. They are nominated for HOF. IMO a band like that should be inducted. But they will probably put Def Shleppard in there instead.

Re: OT - Roxy Music
Date: October 12, 2018 15:34

[youtu.be]

I wanted to add this; not a well known film, but one of my favorite scenes ever captured.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: October 12, 2018 15:36

If there is something, one of my all time favourites.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 12, 2018 18:28

Yeah, the Roxy Music nomination (like Todd's) is way long overdue.

Back when U2 was put in, they made some comment about jumping the queue and getting in ahead of Roxy Music (and a couple other bands)

Those first five Roxy Music albums were a brilliant run, and along with Ferry's "In Your Mind" form a body of work that many of the less distinguished HoF members can't even approach.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 12, 2018 18:39

I think there was an element of trying too hard with RM, but I love the first album!

Unfortunately I don't find any of the stuff after as good and seems to miss a particular spookiness.

ITIS is pure magic from the moment the guitar and sax play in unison. Goosebumps every time as sonic the magic unfolds afterwards.

A wee bit of kudos to Peter Sinfield for the production on that album! He was already quite familiar with freakyness via King Crimson and VCS3's by then.
I bet the vibe of that album has something to do with him and maybe it's that which draws me in more than the albums afterwards.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-12 18:44 by His Majesty.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: October 12, 2018 20:08

All RM albums are fine, but in different ways, I think. Manifesto is the weakest one. Ferry never managed to copy RM on his own. "Avalon" is warm, but "Boys and Girls" is cold. How he has managed to make "Boys and Girls" his legacy in the same league as the RM albums is beyond me. Is there really some more listenable tracks on that album than "Don`t Stop The Dance", "Windswept" plus maybe "Slave to Love" thrown in for good measure?

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 12, 2018 23:46

<<It's a bit of a drag that many people think of the late era Roxy Music; together with Ferry's solo albums. I hardly consider 'Avalon' or 'Flesh & Blood' when I think of Roxy, and certainly not the string of identical, sleep inducing solo albums by Bryan.
But those first 5 albums ( and also Bryan's first...maybe 4 solo records) are fantastic.
>>

thumbs upthumbs up Absolutely could not agree more! I will never ever forget the day in 1972 when a flatmate brought home the first album. The cover alone was mesmerizing and we all drooled over it. Then we played the album and it just blew our minds. I still love those early Roxy songs with their startling music and the amazing lyrics delivered so tantalizingly by Mr. Ferry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-12 23:46 by Beast.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: October 13, 2018 00:44

Palace Revolution 2000
We've probably had a Roxy thread; may even been started by myself. But I just got done listening to them.
It's a bit of a drag that many people think of the ate era Roxy Music; together with Ferry's solo albums. I hardly consider 'Avalon' or 'Flesh & Blood' when I think of Roxy, and certainly not the string of identical, sleep inducing solo albums by Bryan.
It has been said that the second "For your Pleasure" may be their finest moment, and I have also subscribed to that notion, but now I believe that the first album is the best. When they dropped that thing on the world it was literally something from out of space. Nobody was even remotely close. Bowie maybe had the nerve. But that first side; those 4 songs; and the artwork, the look of the band...whew. I read that ferry wrote that first album alone before even having the band on a piano. Great stuff, and then you got Eno, Manzanera, McKay adding their spice to it.
"Ladytron" is beautiful, the sections, the .Oboe, the lead guitar, the synth. "Remake" is bizarre writing. You hear his influences, but they are re-arranged for modern ears. Same with "2 HB". But "If there is something" is glorious; that end section is very moving. But already back then, I think I knew that Side 1 was the one.
Eddie Jobson was a worthy replacement for Eno; and ferry's writing stayed strong through "Stranded" and "Country Life". "Siren" was a tiny bit weaker IMO.
Now I always liked "Manifesto"; although it has many detractors. But on "Spin me Round" you can see which way Ferry was headed.

I think they were very avantgarde; way ahead of the pack. They are nominated for HOF. IMO a band like that should be inducted. But they will probably put Def Shleppard in there instead.

Couldn't agree more......I was a huge early Roxy fan the last album I bought was Country Life and ofcourse Viva! Roxy Music which you forgot to mention ;o) and I love Bryans solo album Let's Stick Together abd These Foolish Things

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-13 01:00 by NICOS.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: October 13, 2018 01:55

Wouldn’t mind a deluxe Viva release. Everything thru Siren is damn good, Manefesto played well live in ‘79 lots of nice SBD’s from that tour.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 13, 2018 04:34

For Our Pleasure!

Date: October 13, 2018 08:00

NICOS
Palace Revolution 2000

Couldn't agree more......I was a huge early Roxy fan the last album I bought was Country Life and ofcourse Viva! Roxy Music which you forgot to mention ;o) and I love Bryans solo album Let's Stick Together abd These Foolish Things

Thanks NICOS. Of course - how could I forget 'Viva" - from the days when a Live album was it's own force, and not just a contract obligation. "In every dream home" is often cited as a magical point on "Viva". It is stellar, but to me the highlight from thaT Live album is "Both Ends Burning".

( I had to edit: I typo'd and it came out saying 'Both Ends Burping" haha..)

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: October 13, 2018 10:08

While I like a lot of Roxy stuff, Avalon remains 1 of my favorite records of all time. I saw them on the High Road tour. They were stunning.

Date: October 14, 2018 17:38

Beast
<<It's a bit of a drag that many people think of the late era Roxy Music; together with Ferry's solo albums. I hardly consider 'Avalon' or 'Flesh & Blood' when I think of Roxy, and certainly not the string of identical, sleep inducing solo albums by Bryan.
>>

thumbs upthumbs up Absolutely could not agree more!

There`s nothing new in this. A lot of people would say the same, and a lot of people would say the opposite.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: October 15, 2018 08:39

Disco changed the band, not in a good way, even though they didn't do that much of it. Bryan also started to lose the line between his fictional personality.

Date: October 15, 2018 13:06

marianna
Disco changed the band, not in a good way, even though they didn't do that much of it. Bryan also started to lose the line between his fictional personality.

I don`t agree. I just don`t agree. I wish they did much more of it.

Date: October 15, 2018 13:31

His Majesty
I think there was an element of trying too hard with RM, but I love the first album!

Unfortunately I don't find any of the stuff after as good and seems to miss a particular spookiness.

ITIS is pure magic from the moment the guitar and sax play in unison. Goosebumps every time as sonic the magic unfolds afterwards.

A wee bit of kudos to Peter Sinfield for the production on that album! He was already quite familiar with freakyness via King Crimson and VCS3's by then.
I bet the vibe of that album has something to do with him and maybe it's that which draws me in more than the albums afterwards.

Epitah, part II? winking smiley

Date: October 15, 2018 13:34

Palace Revolution 2000

That debut album is almost new wave, in 1972 already smiling smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 15, 2018 15:34

His Majesty

Did you not like side 2 of For Your Pleasure - all those weird, ambient excursions on the outskirts of popsville and heading into unchartered territory where the buses don't run.

I loved the fact that they took an absolute risk with that side and presented an even edgier side than on the first album. But to each their own I guess.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: October 15, 2018 15:37

It's been years, I'll go give things another listen. thumbs up

Date: October 15, 2018 15:44

The Bogus Man is cool thumbs up

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: October 15, 2018 17:23

It should also be noted here that a lot of us got our first glimpse of Jerry Hall when she modeled for the cover of Siren.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: October 15, 2018 18:15

The first 2 Albums: Roxy Music and For Your Pleasure are great.

Date: October 15, 2018 18:17

DandelionPowderman
The Bogus Man is cool thumbs up

Especially on "Viva!"
Like Dagger was saying, they took risks. Ferry would often do these long swaying atonal melodic sweeps on vocals. "Bogus Man', but he took it all the way up to "Aint that so" on Manifesto.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 15, 2018 21:43

Diggin out of my dusty record collection the first Roxy Music to catch up here ... but afraid to be disqualified for life from participating to the discussion: became a fan after Ferry's take of Jealous Guy!

C

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1852
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home