Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The Cars, why were they never BIG in Europe?
Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 13, 2018 15:45

Yes he did, Dandy. But maybe, just maybe, we are talking about a different league here? Anyway, I was just trying to be helpful to the questioner here.
He seems genuinely bewildered over the fact that The Cars didn't "make it big in Europe". Whatever that means...

Date: September 13, 2018 15:48

Stoneage
Yes he did, Dandy. But maybe, just maybe, we are talking about a different league here? Anyway, I was just trying to be helpful to the questioner here.
He seems genuinely bewildered over the fact that The Cars didn't "make it big in Europe". Whatever that means...

Just pulling your leg, mate. The Cars weren't even "big" in the US. They only had three top 40 hits.

I liked them just the same. They had their own sound, in spite of all the obligatory 80s production glitz.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 13, 2018 15:55

treaclefingers
loog droog
The Cars had some good songs, but I wouldn't rank them as one of the greats by a long shot.

Saw them once in concert. (My girlfriend liked them).

Would that make you the best friend then?

I saw what you did there! thumbs up

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: September 13, 2018 15:59

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Just pulling your leg, mate. The Cars weren't even "big" in the US. They only had three top 40 hits.

I liked them just the same. They had their own sound, in spite of all the obligatory 80s production glitz.

thumbs upI knew that, Dandy. Answered anyway. Just in case...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 13, 2018 17:50

I always loved The Cars ... so much that I even have most (all?) ric ocasek solo albums on vinyl. There are at least 2 or 3 good songs on each of his solo albums, but I haven't listened to them in years, I'll have to break them out and MP3 them so I can put them in rotation.

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 13, 2018 18:11

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

Hi everybody!
I (the questioner) love all the responses so far. And I think I am getting a decent picture on why The Cars didn't make it big in Europe (with "big" I sort of meant scoring well over 5 to 7 years with frequent hits and with attracting excited crowds on live concerts. Scoring one or two massive hitsongs or a well selling album and then fade away is (I.m.o.) not being "big".
I had the impression about them being very popular in de USA. Indeed the crowd responses on 1985 Live Aid being part of it. I agree with all who wrote that their live act is pretty boring, the say the least. They played very well though. Also there was a lot of alternative competition around (Madonna sad smiley, Prince smiling smiley and others). But, since the Stones had to rediscover themselves in that period, they could have tried to copy their live act. Rick certainly had the potential.
All in all, it once more shows that the Rolling Stones are a rare species. Even with some downs in between they remain the best cake in the bakery store drinking smileysmileys with beer

Date: September 13, 2018 18:13

Yes, I really liked the first 2 albums a lot.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: September 13, 2018 18:25

I'm guessing radio is to blame... In California, bands like the Cars and Journey got played every single hour. In France, where I've lived for the last 16 years, I've only heard one song by Journey playing in a bar, that's it! Some bands just don't get any or much airplay, I'm guessing the record companies didn't push them enough onto radio over here and/or perhaps they didn't tour as much as they could/should have...

The true crime is that Van Halen hasn't played in Europe in OVER 20 YEARS!!!

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: September 13, 2018 18:41

Anyone else ever noticed ...
The Cars lifted -- note for note and chord for chord -- the turnaround right after he sings "and she used to be mine" after the chorus in My Best Friend's Girlfriend from...
A turnaround on The Beatles White Album after Paul sings "If you want me to 'I will' ".

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: September 13, 2018 18:53

IMO they were excellent and had a very distinctive sound. Loved the first three albums in particular. Saw them in '79 and they were amazing. Why Europe never really embraced them is a mystery to me.

Date: September 13, 2018 18:58

Here is some statistics that, maybe, reveals why they never "made it" in Europe. They hardly never played there!
308 live gigs all in all. 285 in the US, 12 in Canada, 6 in Japan and 5 in Europe (1978/79).
[www.setlist.fm]

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 13, 2018 19:19

If anything, there might have been a delayed reaction to The Cars in Europe. I see several have mentioned the album Heartbeat City and the tune Drive, etc. from '84/85. While I enjoyed that album at the time, there was alot of '80's sheen involved with the production and it was probably my least favorite up to that point. Add to the fact they were being played incessantly on MTV by then (which probably helped their broader appeal), and it was a bit overkill. Their first two albums - self titled from '78 and Candy-O from '79 are their best imo, and were played all the time on the radio. I was in my mid-teens, and there was an edginess to those albums - they seemed to be breaking new ground with their quirky sound, and were unlike alot other bands of the time. Definitely more different than Kansas/Styx/Foreigner/Boston/Journey, etc. which dominated alot of rock radio stations at the time. Panorama from '80 and Shake it Up from '81 were also good albeit a bit inconsistent and not filled to the brim with memorable tunes as the first two albums were. Maybe it was the relatively long gap between Shake it Up and Heartbeat City, but something sterilized them a bit and their songs veered toward friendly poppiness vs. the edgy new wave/punkiness of the earlier albums. As for what came after, I don't have a clue, but looking at their discography right now I see they released an album called Door to Door in '87. And looking at the tracklist, none of them are familiar to me - maybe it was the overkill of Heartbeat City ( and the sterilized live performance I saw c.'85) that ultimately turned me off. Coincidentally, I was living in England in '87, so that might be a reason I never heard anything about it. Maybe I'll give it a listen some day and something from it will jar my memory? And finally, I see they released an album in 2011...never heard about it and not gonna go there....

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 13, 2018 19:39

grzegorz67

I remember enjoying them. JFK Stadium (?). I was 18 and watched the whole thing from start to finish - 16-17 hours. Noon BST with Status Quo to kick it off to 4.30am. The only bit I missed was Queen as we had dinner outside. Phil Collins played at BOTH stadia with a little help from Concorde.

I like how MTV cut from the Cars opening song to live footage of the Concorde's arrival with Phil Collins on board. It doesn't get any more 80's than that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-14 02:04 by ryanpow.

Date: September 13, 2018 19:46

Good post, Hairball. I had to seek up their first albums after I heard Heartbeat City, and the first 2-3 albums were indeed very good and better-sounding, imo.

Posted by: Massimo68 ()
Date: September 13, 2018 19:55

The cars were big in Europe, long time ago.

Date: September 13, 2018 20:17

schillid
Anyone else ever noticed ...
The Cars lifted -- note for note and chord for chord -- the turnaround right after he sings "and she used to be mine" after the chorus in My Best Friend's Girlfriend from...
A turnaround on The Beatles White Album after Paul sings "If you want me to 'I will' ".

BFG also = "Wild Weekend"

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 13, 2018 20:57

frankotero
Lots of American bands don't seem to hit it big in Europe. Add to the list George Thorogood, Joan Jett and Cheap Trick. There's more I can't think of. These are people I want to see tour over here but avoid it. At least Alice Cooper is big in Germany and the UK, thankfully.

Except for George Thorogood, Joan Jett had 3 40 top hit and Cheap Trick 4 with one big number 1 hit

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: September 14, 2018 00:33

Stoneage
Here is some statistics that, maybe, reveals why they never "made it" in Europe. They hardly never played there!
308 live gigs all in all. 285 in the US, 12 in Canada, 6 in Japan and 5 in Europe (1978/79).
[www.setlist.fm]

Wow, never realized they didn't play Canada that often but then, thinking back, they never did play Vancouver when I was in high school or afterwards in the 80's. When they did play in Van in 79, I'm pretty sure that was the concert where local singer Nick Gilder, who had a hit with Hot Child In the City, was the opening act. He got booed off stage.
Ric Ocasek sure got lucky marrying Paulina Porizkova, who was one of the biggest supermodels back in the 80s. She's in the Drive video.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 14, 2018 00:51

My car is still big its just the roads that got smaller ……..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 14, 2018 02:07

Hairball
If anything, there might have been a delayed reaction to The Cars in Europe. I see several have mentioned the album Heartbeat City and the tune Drive, etc. from '84/85. While I enjoyed that album at the time, there was alot of '80's sheen involved with the production and it was probably my least favorite up to that point. Add to the fact they were being played incessantly on MTV by then (which probably helped their broader appeal), and it was a bit overkill. Their first two albums - self titled from '78 and Candy-O from '79 are their best imo, and were played all the time on the radio. I was in my mid-teens, and there was an edginess to those albums - they seemed to be breaking new ground with their quirky sound, and were unlike alot other bands of the time. Definitely more different than Kansas/Styx/Foreigner/Boston/Journey, etc. which dominated alot of rock radio stations at the time. Panorama from '80 and Shake it Up from '81 were also good albeit a bit inconsistent and not filled to the brim with memorable tunes as the first two albums were. Maybe it was the relatively long gap ibetween Shake it Up and Heartbeat City, but something sterilized them a bit and their songs veered toward friendly poppiness vs. the edgy new wave/pun5kiness of the earlier albums. As for what came after, I don't have a clue, but looking at their discography right now I see they released an album called Door to Door in '87. And looking at the tracklist, none of them are familiar to me - maybe it was the overkill of Heartbeat City ( and the sterilized live performance I saw c.'85) that ultimately turned me off. Coincidentally, I was living in England in '87, so that might be a reason I never heard anything about it. Maybe I'll give it a listen some day and something from it will jar my memory? And finally, I see they released an album in 2011...never heard about it and not gonna go there....

Interesting points, Hairball. I'm a huge Cars fan and next to the Stones they've probably been most important band in my life. I agree they got kind of a more sterile sound with Heartbeat City. Door to Door is pretty lame but there is an amazing, dreamy track on it called Go Away. And they're more recent reunion album has a fantastic, propulsive track called Blue Tip. I'd encourage you to check both of these out on YouTube. And finally, since you mentioned liking the edgy New Wave punkiness of their earlier albums, you really should check out Ric Ocasek's first solo album, Beatitude.

Drew

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 14, 2018 14:21

FrogSugar

Well you have a suitable substitute : the Scorpions tour Europe regularly. grinning smiley

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 14, 2018 15:45

drewmaster
Hairball
If anything, there might have been a delayed reaction to The Cars in Europe. I see several have mentioned the album Heartbeat City and the tune Drive, etc. from '84/85. While I enjoyed that album at the time, there was alot of '80's sheen involved with the production and it was probably my least favorite up to that point. Add to the fact they were being played incessantly on MTV by then (which probably helped their broader appeal), and it was a bit overkill. Their first two albums - self titled from '78 and Candy-O from '79 are their best imo, and were played all the time on the radio. I was in my mid-teens, and there was an edginess to those albums - they seemed to be breaking new ground with their quirky sound, and were unlike alot other bands of the time. Definitely more different than Kansas/Styx/Foreigner/Boston/Journey, etc. which dominated alot of rock radio stations at the time. Panorama from '80 and Shake it Up from '81 were also good albeit a bit inconsistent and not filled to the brim with memorable tunes as the first two albums were. Maybe it was the relatively long gap ibetween Shake it Up and Heartbeat City, but something sterilized them a bit and their songs veered toward friendly poppiness vs. the edgy new wave/pun5kiness of the earlier albums. As for what came after, I don't have a clue, but looking at their discography right now I see they released an album called Door to Door in '87. And looking at the tracklist, none of them are familiar to me - maybe it was the overkill of Heartbeat City ( and the sterilized live performance I saw c.'85) that ultimately turned me off. Coincidentally, I was living in England in '87, so that might be a reason I never heard anything about it. Maybe I'll give it a listen some day and something from it will jar my memory? And finally, I see they released an album in 2011...never heard about it and not gonna go there....

Interesting points, Hairball. I'm a huge Cars fan and next to the Stones they've probably been most important band in my life. I agree they got kind of a more sterile sound with Heartbeat City. Door to Door is pretty lame but there is an amazing, dreamy track on it called Go Away. And they're more recent reunion album has a fantastic, propulsive track called Blue Tip. I'd encourage you to check both of these out on YouTube. And finally, since you mentioned liking the edgy New Wave punkiness of their earlier albums, you really should check out Ric Ocasek's first solo album, Beatitude.

Drew

Ya, great points. Any band that puts a Dodge Dart on the cover is fine with me. There wasn't a group before or after The Cars that even came close - in a class by themselves - like a Dodge Dart.

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: September 14, 2018 16:47

dcba
FrogSugar

Well you have a suitable substitute : the Scorpions tour Europe regularly. grinning smiley

Scorps are great, but I've seen them twice here...and itching to hear songs from those first 6 VH albums live!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: September 14, 2018 17:26

The New Cars , w/ Todd Rundgren

They actually had a live album ... No Ocasek or Orr but rather w/ Todd Rundgren on vocals! It is pretty cool, they do Open My Eyes (rundgren/utopia/nazz tune) as well as a couple of new studio tracks.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 14, 2018 18:32

LeonidP
The New Cars , w/ Todd Rundgren

They actually had a live album ... No Ocasek or Orr but rather w/ Todd Rundgren on vocals! It is pretty cool, they do Open My Eyes (rundgren/utopia/nazz tune) as well as a couple of new studio tracks.

I remember this was fairly "big" news c. 2005, and they were labeled as The New Cars.
Only two original members remained (Easton and Hawkes), but they were given the blessing of Ric Ocasek to go forward while he opted out.
Never heard any of it, but will give some of it a listen along with the other suggestions by drewmaster.

Posted by: Swayed1967 ()
Date: September 14, 2018 19:22

drewmaster

Drew

I liked The Cars back in the day. Who didn't? But to everything there is a season, yeah? 'Blue Tip' is a solid track - it sounds like vintage Cars - but the world just doesn't really need that kinda music anymore, if you know what I mean. Sadly the same could be said of songs like Love Is Strong etc. etc.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: September 14, 2018 21:15

boing boing boing... boing ba boing... LETS GO!!!

Posted by: georgie48 ()
Date: September 14, 2018 21:36

Swayed1967
drewmaster

Drew

I liked The Cars back in the day. Who didn't? But to everything there is a season, yeah? 'Blue Tip' is a solid track - it sounds like vintage Cars - but the world just doesn't really need that kinda music anymore, if you know what I mean. Sadly the same could be said of songs like Love Is Strong etc. etc.

I'm more optimistic, Swayed. Over the many decades songs suddenly surfaced again out of nowhere (sometimes used in a commercial or movie) and a new generation suddenly "discovers" an age old artist or band. Not listening to the Stones for a change I ran into a song of The Cars and started "tracing" them. So that's how my initial question surfaced. After all the responses so far I slowly start to feel that I might become an "expert" on The Cars cool smiley
The other day I met a diehard Pink Floyd fan who "rediscovered" the Stones via ... Blue and Lonesome. So here you go ...

Posted by: ab ()
Date: September 15, 2018 01:21

Never had any use for The Cars: sterile, lame power pop. No thanks.

Ric Ocasek ruined Do the Collapse, the Guided by Voices album he produced 20 years ago. He made Bob Pollard's exquisite garage band sound like, you guessed it, The Cars.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 15, 2018 23:05

Elmo Lewis
treaclefingers
loog droog
The Cars had some good songs, but I wouldn't rank them as one of the greats by a long shot.

Saw them once in concert. (My girlfriend liked them).

Would that make you the best friend then?

I saw what you did there! thumbs up

Thanks!
A lot of my best work is criminally undereported!

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1582
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home