Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 82
Re: The Rolling Stones Tours 2019 and on - North America next up
Posted by: IanBillen ()
Date: September 15, 2018 04:00

Hairball
If there is no new album for the upcoming tour, maybe they'll play something from the latter era - ie newer than Tattoo You.
Seems they've totally disregarded a huge chapter of their history, and by doing so have fallen in with many other nostalgia acts.
But unlike many other nostalgia acts, they actually have a few decent original tunes they've released in the last few decades, the problem is they don't play any of them!

Many see The Stones as a pure nostalgia act. I am with them if they do not produce an album with this tour.. (I'm this close to calling it as it is). Blue & Lonesome saved the day in order to keep them afloat in my eyes with no new studio product of originals BUT that time has expired and they seriously need a new release. Not so much to sell a tour.. but to still consider themselves viable as a recording band.

One might say .. no matter how good it is it won't sell 10 million copies or have any top 40 / top ten hits .. so they will never be relevant for recorded products again. << Ok Well no kidding (what rock act does these days?). My point is two fold .. In order to secure their reputation as still being able to produce a really good or great product and 2. If they still consider themselves an act that puts out recorded product as well as simply a touring act .. ya kina / sorta actually have to get to the studio->>>record original things ------>>> and kina / sorta put things out ... grinning smiley

*With all that said.. I think they have 'definite/concrete' plans to finish the album and then release it next year along with the tour of The States.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-15 04:05 by IanBillen.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 15, 2018 04:07

They haven't toured to promote a new album in a very long time. Twenty years to be honest. Performing and functioning as creative artists became two separate streams for the band. Tossing in a couple songs or one song or skipping the latest release entirely has been the norm since then. Yes, I know there were BIGGER BANG shows where Mick sang more than two songs from the album. There were also shows where he sang no songs from the album. They unequivocally became a nostalgia act in 2002. Imagining they would tour the new album and actually play several songs from it just isn't realistic, nice as it would be. And as much as I'd love to be wrong, it wouldn't change what they did (or didn't do) in the preceding twenty years.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: September 15, 2018 04:42

The stones should release a new album just ahead of the next NA tour, play several songs from it live, and revive a few latter day rockers.

Then, pull a Robert Plant (and others) and include a cd or digital copy of it with each tour ticket purchased, and watch the sales numbers climb.. cool smiley

Date: September 15, 2018 05:26

Rocky Dijon
They haven't toured to promote a new album in a very long time. Twenty years to be honest. Performing and functioning as creative artists became two separate streams for the band. Tossing in a couple songs or one song or skipping the latest release entirely has been the norm since then. Yes, I know there were BIGGER BANG shows where Mick sang more than two songs from the album. There were also shows where he sang no songs from the album. They unequivocally became a nostalgia act in 2002. Imagining they would tour the new album and actually play several songs from it just isn't realistic, nice as it would be. And as much as I'd love to be wrong, it wouldn't change what they did (or didn't do) in the preceding twenty years.

Wait a min ...What are you talking about? They toured to promote their last album .. A Bigger Bang = A Bigger Bang Tour .. and they have toured with the release of a new studio album and in naming the tour that followed or coincided with the exact same name every time since Steel Wheels (almost 30 years?). Not sure what you mean there (?) .. They have toured behind every album since their return to touring in 1989?

Sure ... They are not / will not be touring to sell the heck out of an album in today's age (but a tour will still help sales a bit). << Then again nobody is .. now the money is in the touring / live shows .. not album sales. They have and will be touring behind an album and in support of a product... and have done that since every release dating back to 1989. Though as far as new product of originals that has only been four friggin times .. Still they have toured behind every one of those.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-15 05:35 by IanBillen.

Date: September 15, 2018 05:43

What I mean is this, after BRIDGES a new album was not the impetus for the tour. As it was, VOODOO LOUNGE material came at the expense of STEEL WHEELS material and BRIDGES material came at the expense of VOODOO LOUNGE material. With the exception of "You Got Me Rocking" they were not building a setlist respecting their latterday work so much as alotting a bit of time for new songs amidst the greatest hits. That didn't happen in 1981 where they kept 5 songs from SOME GIRLS and added as many songs from TATTOO YOU and two more from EMOTIONAL RESCUE. And yes, that's not including Keith's lead vocal spot.

Starting with LICKS, they only played one new song. I know there wasn't a full album, but they didn't even bother playing the other new songs. On A BIGGER BANG, there was less emphasis on new material. The most consistent songs were the two rockers. By a couple shows in 2006, they played no material from A BIGGER BANG. That was no longer a tour driven by an album. It was a nostalgia tour with a half-hearted effort to acknowledge the relevance of new material. Since 2012, they've done one or two new songs and for the past three years that means material drawn from an album of covers. They've had exactly two new Jagger-Richards tracks recorded since 2005 (13 years ago) that they've bothered to play live and they dropped them several years ago already.

They still put on an amazing show. They're remarkable performers, but they didn't even attempt to play material from the EXILE or SOME GIRLS bonus discs. As performers, they've been a nostalgia act for nearly twenty years. Some would argue longer. They're still creative in as much as they write and record material, but their decision to not keep building material from the eighties, nineties, and beyond into their setlist the way someone like Springsteen or Dylan has done means the perception is the material isn't releavant since TATTOO YOU. That hurts catalog sales, airplay, and the public perception as well as their own perception and confidence in themselves as artists. From that perspective, the nostalgia banner has been flying for quite some time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-15 05:46 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: September 15, 2018 08:00

bv
24FPS

How is anything they've done different from any tour within the last six years? How is 2014 different from 2017? They could all have the same name and same set. Same musicians. Same songs. What? putting two numbers from Blue & Lonesome makes it all fresh again? How is Tumbling Dice 2012 any different from 2018? The arrangements are the same. Where is the novelty? It escapes me why it's important to hear the same songs, delivered at the same pace, over and over again. Everybody acts like they reinvented the wheel because we got Emotional Rescue at a couple gigs. Where's the challenge? They don't even challenge themselves anymore. It's like slipping into the same worn, comfortable slippers every night. Is that rock and roll?

May be you lost interest in the band.

I live in the same small little community I was born in, I am married to the same woman I met when I was 17 years old, I have loved the Stones as long as I have loved my wife. I don't want to replace any of them and I am happy the way they are, so I keep being married and I keep going to shows to see their great performances.

I respect you and the website dearly, but I like to mix things up. I play the DVDs from different tours (I'm talking pre-1994) to hear the different versions of the same songs. They're not even different from night to night, or even tour to tour anymore. I've loved the Stones since 1969, but yes, I have moved on from different loves, and different cities. Would it hurt for them to show a little artistic integrity at this point? Put in more of their catalogue. Take some chances. They're stale. They appear lazy in their approach now. I don't mean Mick isn't jumping all around, I mean they don't care about the setlist. That's wonderful if you enjoy hearing the same warhorses delivered exactly the same way over and over and over.

Oh, I'm still into the Stones. On The Air is in my car right now. I like a little danger in the Stones. There was some on Blue and Lonesome. Grown men playing grown men music. I guess the only thing left for a fan like me is to keep hoping for more vault releases from when they were great, not just there.

Date: September 15, 2018 08:05

Hairball
You would think so, but Mick has stated a few years ago he doesn't want to bore people with too much stuff they've never heard.
If it were up to me they'd play the new album in it's entirety (if there is one), but of course I'd be in a very small minority as the general masses would probably be bored to death demanding to hear all the warhorses.

EDIT: Found the quote from 2013:

'People don't want it'

"It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it on stage," Jagger told USA Today.
"They glumly look at you. 'OK, it will be over in a minute'. It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said."

What happened to the Stones that set the agenda? Played what they wanted to play? Let the audience catch up to them? Do you think if they rotated six rare songs in every night, that people would freak because they didn't hear It's Only Rock And Roll? As long as they get Jumpin' Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women, and Midnight Rambler, it's a freakin' Stones concert. You'd think they would get bored of the same old same old night after night. And don't give me that Keith b.s. about finding something new in the song every night. He must be keeping it to himself.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: September 15, 2018 08:20

24FPS
You'd think they would get bored of the same old same old night after night. And don't give me that Keith b.s. about finding something new in the song every night. He must be keeping it to himself.

They must get bored to tears with the monotony.

As for Keith's b.s, yeah that's a ridiculous explanation.
The only thing I can think of is he's trying to figure out different ways to play them as his arthritis gets worse - the tunes and his playing certainly aren't improving as the years go by...

Date: September 15, 2018 09:30

bleedingman
Would love to see the iorr band in NYC.

DandelionPowderman
bye bye johnny
DandelionPowderman
Mick says a lot of things (check out his 2005 quote on the importance of having new songs in the set).

Where might one find that quote, or the content thereof?

If we go out on tour, we gotta do a record. It shows you are an actual functioning rock band. I don't want to be one of those bands that just does hits. People say, I much prefer to hear Brown Sugar than some new song. Well, I don't give a shit what you prefer. If everyone else in the band had said, We can't be bothered, no one listens to our new records, fair enough. We can do more repackages (rolls his eyes). But everyone was up for it.

- Mick Jagger, 2005

[timeisonourside.com]

thumbs up

Posted by: FrogSugar ()
Date: September 15, 2018 14:05

Sorry, but at this point I really don't care about a new album...or new/newer songs. I'd rather they include more of the "rare" classic tracks (Dead Flowers, Dancing with Mr. D, @#$%&, etc.) or even some Some Girls disc 2 tracks in their setlist (Claudine would be bitchin)...anything up to and including Undercover of the Night!

But I'll still happily go see them and take whatever they dish out... In 2019, beggars can't be choosers!

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: September 15, 2018 14:35

Hairball
24FPS
You'd think they would get bored of the same old same old night after night. And don't give me that Keith b.s. about finding something new in the song every night. He must be keeping it to himself.

The only thing I can think of is he's trying to figure out different ways to play them as his arthritis gets worse - the tunes and his playing certainly aren't improving as the years go by...

One would think you two whiny little girls would get bored to tears showing up on a fan website to post the same thing things over and over and over for years now, everyday the same crybaby crap... talk about ridiculous. It doesn't even matter what the thread is about you two are always posting the same crap.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 15, 2018 17:58

This thread is actually about the Stones Tours 2019 and on. Still, I understand many do want to discuss the meaning of life here. So I will just add some comments.

- The meaning of life may be discussed in separate theads
- Life starts with birth, then child, teenager, adult, and eventually senior
- The Rolling Stones are now in what I would call the senior stage
- Most people have their careers and energy peak during the adult phase
- Senior is a stage where you are supposed to be able to do whatever you like

The Rolling Stones have nothing more to prove, they don't owe anyone anything, and they are free to make zero, one or more albums. Also, they are free to play the very same songs for the rest of their senior career, if they like. If you don't like their act these days then I am sorry but that is how they like it these days.

Bjornulf

Posted by: babyblue ()
Date: September 15, 2018 18:07

bv
This thread is actually about the Stones Tours 2019 and on. Still, I understand many do want to discuss the meaning of life here. So I will just add some comments.

The Rolling Stones have nothing more to prove, they don't owe anyone anything, and they are free to make zero, one or more albums. Also, they are free to play the very same songs for the rest of their senior career, if they like. If you don't like their act these days then I am sorry but that is how they like it these days.

I agree, they do what they choose. We are lucky not only to still have them around and to tour. Myself I don't care what they play I know it will be very good. So, go see them next year as they could stop at anytime after their next tour.

Date: September 15, 2018 18:39

Rocky Dijon
What I mean is this, after BRIDGES a new album was not the impetus for the tour. As it was, VOODOO LOUNGE material came at the expense of STEEL WHEELS material and BRIDGES material came at the expense of VOODOO LOUNGE material. With the exception of "You Got Me Rocking" they were not building a setlist respecting their latterday work so much as alotting a bit of time for new songs amidst the greatest hits. That didn't happen in 1981 where they kept 5 songs from SOME GIRLS and added as many songs from TATTOO YOU and two more from EMOTIONAL RESCUE. And yes, that's not including Keith's lead vocal spot.

Starting with LICKS, they only played one new song. I know there wasn't a full album, but they didn't even bother playing the other new songs. On A BIGGER BANG, there was less emphasis on new material. The most consistent songs were the two rockers. By a couple shows in 2006, they played no material from A BIGGER BANG. That was no longer a tour driven by an album. It was a nostalgia tour with a half-hearted effort to acknowledge the relevance of new material. Since 2012, they've done one or two new songs and for the past three years that means material drawn from an album of covers. They've had exactly two new Jagger-Richards tracks recorded since 2005 (13 years ago) that they've bothered to play live and they dropped them several years ago already.

They still put on an amazing show. They're remarkable performers, but they didn't even attempt to play material from the EXILE or SOME GIRLS bonus discs. As performers, they've been a nostalgia act for nearly twenty years. Some would argue longer. They're still creative in as much as they write and record material, but their decision to not keep building material from the eighties, nineties, and beyond into their setlist the way someone like Springsteen or Dylan has done means the perception is the material isn't releavant since TATTOO YOU. That hurts catalog sales, airplay, and the public perception as well as their own perception and confidence in themselves as artists. From that perspective, the nostalgia banner has been flying for quite some time.

Nice post Rocky, and puts it all into proper perspective. thumbs up

Date: September 15, 2018 18:47

bv

Nice post Bjornulf, and puts it all into proper perspective. thumbs up

Posted by: glmmr_twn ()
Date: September 15, 2018 18:49

If you have nothing better to do than complain about the Rolling Stones, you really lead a dull life.

I am grateful the Stones still tour. I love all of it.

Date: September 15, 2018 19:07

bv

Interesting take on this bv - mentioning the "senior citizen" aspect of it.
Reminds me of visiting my Grandma when she lived in a retirement community for senior citizens, and more often than not she would tell me the same old stories each time I came by to pay her a visit.
Of course I loved her, but sometimes the same old stories would become a bit repetitive and even monotonous. But it makes sense to think that Grandma was just like the Rolling Stones are now...she had nothing to prove, didn't owe anyone anything, and could tell the same stories over and over again if she liked. Grandma was a Rolling Stone bless her soul...

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 15, 2018 19:27

smiling smileyAlways look forward to the artwork on the posters and signs.smiling smiley

Date: September 15, 2018 21:40

Leonioid
Hairball
24FPS

One would think you two whiny little girls would get bored to tears showing up on a fan website to post the same thing things over and over and over for years now, everyday the same crybaby crap... talk about ridiculous. It doesn't even matter what the thread is about you two are always posting the same crap.

I show up on the website to see what the new vault releases are. I'm a huge Rolling Stones fan, just not of their current touring act. I think they could be so much more. Hell, you'd think they themselves would be interested in playing some songs from their incredible legacy. I don't come on here to trash other posters and their opinions, or call them inane names. This isn't a Trump site. Bless your heart.

Date: September 15, 2018 22:32

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-16 01:32 by MisterDDDD.

Posted by: dennycranium ()
Date: September 16, 2018 01:57

Circumstances have prevented me from seeing a show since 2005.
Jobs,geography.family etc.
If 2019 is North America?
I'm going to see several shows.
For the most part, I won't worry about the setlist.
It's show business. If it's a 50,000 seat venue, 49000 of the attendees expect to hear the hits. In fact, they'd be disappointed if the band played obscure tracks.
I went to see a Kiss show in 2007. I didn't recognize a NOTE until an hour in.
I'm just going to bask in some open G bliss.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: September 16, 2018 02:17

bv

So if they choose to release a new album next year and play great tunes from that and a couple from B&L that’s also their preogrative. A couple years later than I expected but hey the ball is in their court anyway. Viva 2019...thumbs up

Date: September 16, 2018 04:26

Leonioid
Hairball
24FPS

I am to blame as well in having a gripe but you know.. oh well ..we are allowed. My gripe is always the same. I think they d**k around far too much with all kinds of other projects while neglecting to make an album.

Point is that we all have RS Gripes. I'm tired of the same exact show as well ..

We all have our bitches and guess what.. The Stones have become very wealthy off of us (and their fans)... So we are allowed to gripe ... for we are paying customers winking smiley So there it is ..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-16 04:27 by IanBillen.

Date: September 16, 2018 04:34

For what it's worth, I wasn't griping. I think they're amazing performers and I certainly look forward to what they have to say with new material - even though that isn't a guarantee I'll love all of it. However, if Bjornulf thinks expressing perspectives such as this is veering off-topic on a thread about the next tour, it's his house and his rules.

Date: September 16, 2018 07:53

Rocky Dijon
For what it's worth, I wasn't griping. I think they're amazing performers and I certainly look forward to what they have to say with new material - even though that isn't a guarantee I'll love all of it. However, if Bjornulf thinks expressing perspectives such as this is veering off-topic on a thread about the next tour, it's his house and his rules.

I kno ... I understand (wazzzn't referring to you anyhoo). Bv has a legit complaint... We here who talk on iorr really get way off topic when there are other threads to discuss things we go off topic about.

Now onto the tour in North America .. Do ya think we will get a new stage design? Ima kinda thinking we will ..

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: September 16, 2018 09:02

I will juts be delighted if/when the tour is announced and the excitement begins and plans are made and... the roller coaster starts cranking up the track... and time is almost near...AND BOOM!!! THE STONES HIT THE STAGE!!! That moment... some of the best 50 or so moments in my life... I have hundreds.... 1000s of other great moments too... but The Stones hitting the stage are some great times.

Long ago I stopped guessing how it would be, or how it should be, or if we needed a new stage, or what the opener should be, what songs they should, if they had to have a new album... then I realized I guessed wrong and they did it different than I thought I wanted... but it was still freeking amazing... and from then on I just trust them. period... and I do not trust many... most are unworthy... but Stones are over-worthy. They have earned their stripes

Now I just strap in and let them take me away.... and we go.... and lucky luck me I have never seen a bad Stones show. I have never seen a bad set list, I have been going for ever so I have seen a ton of songs, a great variety of great Stones songs and it has just been great. So much fun.

It is all so much fun... I cant wait to go again.

Date: September 16, 2018 09:52

IanBillen
Do ya think we will get a new stage design? Ima kinda thinking we will

Perhaps as it's already been used for No Filter pt. 1 &2, but seeing as they were mini tours of only 14 shows (28 in total), they might want to continue to use it in order to save money.
It looked nice enough in pics and videos, but if they have a new album out it would be a shame if they don't change anything - especially at the prices they charge.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: September 16, 2018 14:55

Hairball
IanBillen
Do ya think we will get a new stage design? Ima kinda thinking we will

Perhaps as it's already been used for No Filter pt. 1 &2, but seeing as they were mini tours of only 14 shows (28 in total), they might want to continue to use it in order to save money.
It looked nice enough in pics and videos, but if they have a new album out it would be a shame if they don't change anything - especially at the prices they charge.

100% agreed Hairball. The previous stage, introduced for 14 on Fire, was used nearly 30 Times on thst tour. It was also used for All of Zip Code 2015 and Ole Ole (after a paint job) , getting around 60 shows altogether.

The No Filter Stage looks more soffisticated than the 14OF stage and absolutely no way are they going to scrap it after only 28 uses. It will be completely new to 99% of its next audience so getting rid makes no sense whatsoever.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: September 16, 2018 15:10

Why do they still tour? Because new fans are coming, new fans who have never ever seen the Stones live. Also, older fans, who have been fans forever, but they did not get to see them. Like the woman in the 60's I met at the Stoned hotel Le Méridien Stuttgart after the show. She had been a fan for ages, but never seen them live. Her husband, who I would say is a true gentleman, made a secret birthday present to her including Stones show tickets (for both of them) and a stay at the hotel. She was so happy, and she wanted to see them more.

The average age of fans at Stones shows in Europe have been dropping the past decade or so. I do not have any scientific research on this, just my own observations, but I am sure many others who have been to shows in Europe in 2006/2007 and then 2012-2018 might fill in here.

This year in Europe, as well as last year in Europe, there were many fans in their 20's, 30's and 40's. Sure a lot of long time fans also, but many who had never seen the Stones ever before. I would say that the average age of the crowd at Stones shows in Europe have dropped by 10-15 years the past decade, with a lot of younger fans, even if the "hard core" fans by nature age with the band.

The Rolling Stones are getting many new and younger fans in Europe, that is for sure. It will be intereresting to see if the same is happening in North America.

Bjornulf

Date: September 16, 2018 16:04

Interesting observations about the younger crowds in Europe.

It was surprising to me at the few shows I attended the high percentage of younger fans. Having never been to concerts in the UK before, I figured that younger people there were more into them and/or live shows in general than the US.

It will be interesting to see if the trend continues in NA.
Also curious if the younger fan surge (if there is one) is across the board to see the legends (Macca, Dylan, et al) or just with the stones. Perhaps their continued efforts to appeal to younger audiences with the various Taylor Swift type guest stars etc., may be paying off. Also factors in to the classics heavy setlists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-16 16:05 by MisterDDDD.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 82

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2353
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home