Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 17
Re: OT:Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 10, 2018 03:16

It'll cost ya.

On the other hand, maybe Bjornulf will let me upload it on HOT STUFF? IORR's own Dark Net.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 03:18 by Rocky Dijon.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 10, 2018 03:19

.... maybe it's already on Hamster

ROCKMAN

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 10, 2018 03:20

Wow, this is just stupid.

Glad I saw all five of them in 2014...it was a great show, and definitely the last time for me.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 10, 2018 03:20

Jah Paul
triceratops
At this point whoever sings the most oldie songs during concert are the most important members. They draw in the nostalgic crowds. LBuckingham does not have this but Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie do.

I checked the 24-song setlist from the 2014/15 tour, and it was essentially one-third (about 8 songs) for each of the three singers/songwriters. You're probably right about the money, though.

I only know one tune by Lindsey Buckingham...."Go Your Own Way" while I know lots that are Nick's tunes and others by Christine McVie. I have to think that LB is more easily replaced on an oldies tour...

Plus from Variety, LB not wanting to go out on tour is ridiculous. This is how money is made these days. I cannot believe this reason. What else does a musician have these days? LB is going to strum his guitar for friends and dick around in the studio, while the rest of Fleetwood is touring and making millions?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 03:21 by triceratops.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 10, 2018 03:24

Rockman

Thanks, but I'll stick to gerbils. Anything that scares Richard Gere, scares me.

Date: April 10, 2018 03:28

Remember how Stevie Nicks was holding out and saying she didn't want to tour with Fleetwood Mac. She is probably being honest, that she make more $$$ touring on her own than going out with Fleetwood Mac. And she is 70 years old so cannot sustain two separate tours. One with Mac and one by herself

So my sheer speculation..... St Nicks has a hard nose manager who arranged generous compensation for this upcoming Fleetwood Tour. Lindsey Buckingham would not go along with this so was replaced.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 10, 2018 03:29

.... I recall a Stevie interview were she lived in her LA
mansion with an open fire going even in the summer time ....phew

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 10, 2018 03:33

triceratops
I only know one tune by Lindsey Buckingham...."Go Your Own Way" while I know lots that are Nick's tunes and others by Christine McVie. I have to think that LB is more easily replaced on an oldies tour...

I'm sure the new version of Fleetwood Mac is counting on a lot of this kind of indifference from the general ticket-buying public...the same kind of folks who don't know or care that Vince Gill has replaced the late Glenn Frey in the Eagles.

For those of us who have followed FM for decades, we feel a little bit differently about Lindsey's role in the band/stage act.

Date: April 10, 2018 04:14

Jah Paul
triceratops

I'm sure the new version of Fleetwood Mac is counting on a lot of this kind of indifference from the general ticket-buying public...the same kind of folks who don't know or care that Vince Gill has replaced the late Glenn Frey in the Eagles.

For those of us who have followed FM for decades, we feel a little bit differently about Lindsey's role in the band/stage act.

Not that I am going to be seeing Fleetwood Mac in 2018. But they are counting on know nothings on same level as me to not notice or care that Lindsey Buckingham is missing. Making a safe bet in my book and have gotten solid advice telling them so.

I have nothing against Buckingham and really like his only tune (Own Way) that I am aware of.

Date: April 10, 2018 04:17

triceratops
Jah Paul
triceratops

Not that I am going to be seeing Fleetwood Mac in 2018. But they are counting on know nothings on same level as me to not notice or care that Lindsey Buckingham is missing. Making a safe bet in my book and have gotten solid advice telling them so.

I have nothing against Buckingham and really like his only tune (Own Way) that I am aware of.

he also sings co lead on "don't stop" and a few other tunes. he really never tried to release his songs as singles

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: April 10, 2018 04:32

Neil is my favorite songwriter of all time, and I’m still having mixed emotions about this. It’ll be great to see him get to play to slightly bigger crowds than normal. But it doesn’t seem like a particularly natural fit for him. Nonetheless, I guess I’ll be seeing FM for the first time now...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 10, 2018 04:41

keefriffhard4life
triceratops
Jah Paul
triceratops

he also sings co lead on "don't stop" and a few other tunes. he really never tried to release his songs as singles

His co-lead vocals on The Chain are prominent (Nicks co-lead, McVie backup), and his co- lead vocals on World Turning (w/Mcvie) are essential - two of their best songs from this era imo.
But along with these vocal details, his guitar playing and presence on stage will also truly be missed. They might be able to fool some of the public in a live setting, and fools they will be if they fall for this charade.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 04:42 by Hairball.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 10, 2018 05:36

"Never Going Back Again" is my favorite FM song, followed by "The Chain" - not going this time, but 99% of people don't care.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 10, 2018 05:39

lol at so many catty jealous snotty comments directed at Stevie...
as if she was the one balking / being "fired". MEOW!!! hiss hiss

I respect Lindsey Buckingham not wanting to go on tour and...
I respect the band saying we are going without you... it is not that big a deal.

This is Fleetwood Mac... this is what they do... have done ... for ever and ever.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: April 10, 2018 05:46

Send It To me
"Never Going Back Again" is my favorite FM song, followed by "The Chain" - not going this time, but 99% of people don't care.

Oh, and "Monday Morning" is another top FM song that's Lindsey!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 05:47 by Send It To me.

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 10, 2018 05:51

Fleetwood Mac have so many hits and great songs it would be impossible for me to pick one favorite and have to stick to it.... Hell I couldn't even pick one favorite off of Rumours... that album is one of those original albums that is really a greatest hits

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 10, 2018 06:00

Insanely stupid but this is the world most of the general ticket buying wants. "I don't care who's in the band, I want to see "insert name here" and I want to pay an arm and a leg to do it even if its not even the real thing anymore." I echo many other's sentiments. I didn't think I had to see them but when Christine came back I thought that would be cool enough and it was. It was a great show. Glad I saw them when I did. Until people stop paying to see these bands when crazy announcements like this happen it won't stop and it'll get worse. Yes there's been a FM without Lindsey but its insanity to have one without him now. People have brought this kind of stuff upon themselves. If people actually cared about the concerts they were seeing, FM would do everything in their power to keep Lindsey. But if the Eagles can tour without Frey, Steely Dan can tour without Becker, FM can tour without Lindsey. Everyone has done this to themselves.

This is sad but they are also an oldies act (damn good one, but still) so it truly hardly matters. Glad I saw them two years ago and glad I saw the phenomenal Buckingham/McVie tour last year.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: April 10, 2018 07:37

Interesting, considering Buckingham and Nicks becoming part of FM made them huge. Personally, I am no real fan of Buckingham/Nicks FM, though, I like particular songs from the albums they did. Saw them once in the 1970s during the Rumours era. It was a pretty lame show, possibly because it was their heavy drug use time, possibly because they were having a bad night like many bands do.

Regarding LB, if you haven't heard it, check out his "Out Of The Cradle" solo album. Great songs and excellent guitar playing/sounds. Re the comment about Vince Gill with the Eagles, Gill is a fantastic guitar player and song writer on his own. Unfortunately, Gill's not who they choose to play on so called country music stations these days. Re who makes a band in terms of members, didn't KR say once, re the Stones, that as long as the band had him, Mick and Charlie, it was the Rolling Stones regardless of who else was in the band?

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 10, 2018 07:40

Leonioid
lol at so many catty jealous snotty comments directed at Stevie...
as if she was the one balking / being "fired". MEOW!!! hiss hiss

I respect Lindsey Buckingham not wanting to go on tour and...
I respect the band saying we are going without you... it is not that big a deal.

This is Fleetwood Mac... this is what they do... have done ... for ever and ever.

If you meant that toward me, relax.
1). My frontman is Mick Jagger. 2nd Prince. That should be enough said,
but I will acknowledge that I can be critical of other lead singers
(but I was hilarious about Axl Rose in the wheelchair)
And Ms. Stevie is a bit full of herself, and admittedly not herself w/ years on coke and then tranquilizers (now that was catty, lol)

Posted by: Paulhanrahan ()
Date: April 10, 2018 07:51

Extraordinary he's been "fired" - the replacements however aren't that shabby.

From Rolling Stone.com

"Fleetwood Mac has fired Lindsey Buckingham after a disagreement over the band's upcoming tour, Rolling Stone has confirmed. The band announced Monday that Mike Campbell of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Neil Finn of Crowded House will replace him.

News of Buckingham's departure initially broke when former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Billy Burnette shared an April 4th tweet that has since been deleted, saying: "Breaking news: Lindsey Buckingham is out but I'm not in." Rolling Stone has confirmed Buckingham's departure, though no specific tour dates have been announced.

Fleetwood Mac issued a collective statement about the news, saying: "We are thrilled to welcome the musical talents of the caliber of Mike Campbell and Neil Finn into the Mac family. With Mike and Neil, we’ll be performing all the hits that the fans love, plus we’ll be surprising our audiences with some tracks from our historic catalogue of songs. Fleetwood Mac has always been a creative evolution. We look forward to honoring that spirit on this upcoming tour."

Mick Fleetwood added, "Fleetwood Mac has always been about an amazing collection of songs that are performed with a unique blend of talents ... We jammed with Mike and Neil and the chemistry really worked and let the band realize that this is the right combination to go forward with in Fleetwood Mac style. We know we have something new, yet it’s got the unmistakable Mac sound."

"Two weeks ago, I received a wonderful invitation to be a part of a truly great band," Finn tells Rolling Stone in a statement. "A few days later, I was standing in a room playing music with Fleetwood Mac. It felt fresh and exciting, so many great songs, a spectacular rhythm section and two of the greatest voices ever. Best of all, we sounded good together. It was a natural fit. I can’t wait to play."

Buckingham joined Fleetwood Mac in 1974 along with Stevie Nicks. He wrote and sang many of their most memorable songs, including "Go Your Own Way," "Tusk" and "Second Hand News." He left in 1987 shortly before the Tango in the Night tour (where he was replaced by Billy Burnette) and rejoined in 1996 for The Dance reunion tour. He remained active on the road with them for the next two decades. They last played full sets at Classic East and Classics West in July of last year, through they did play a brief set in January at the pre-Grammy MusiCares concert in their honor. The set ended, fittingly enough, with "Go Your Own Way."

In August of last year, Mick Fleetwood spoke to Rolling Stone about the band's next tour. "I was in Italy recently and met Stevie out there," he said. "She said to me, 'Let's sit down and really listen to some stuff that sort of almost got forgotten.' So I know she's already thinking she wants to do some things we haven't done in years. I always think that Stevie and Lindsey should do a Buckingham Nicks song in the set. And have Christine do a blues song. I hope it certainly won't be the same show as we did before. We always played nearly three hours, and we cut it back a little bit for the wear and tear, but we do over two hours. And when you got three singers, which is, like, three bands, really, to get that perfect set, it's a trip."

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: April 10, 2018 09:22

It's not that funny, is it?!

Sorry, could resist that one.

The last interview I read/saw with LB was before those FM/Eagles stadium gigs (was that last year?), and he said he wasn't looking forward to them and was just doing it for the cash (with a wink).

Since Tusk, he's always tried to be to cool for school for this band, trying too hard to be the black sheep. Sometimes it's worked, sometimes it hasn't.
I remember that quote where he said he should be in a band like the Clash rather than FM.

Sounds, to me, like a temporary thing. Maybe he's just bored with it.
Great guitar player, though.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 10, 2018 09:52

maybe this will get Neil Finn some long overdue recognition. he's 1 of my absolute favorite musicians & a very nice guy. Mike Campbell is no slouch either! that being said, Lindsey is another favorite. the plus side is we'll get to see Lindsey in smaller venues.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 10, 2018 11:27

Mike Campbell does a good job with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, covering Oh Well Part 1 on the Live Anthology set. I think he could be a good blend with Fleetwood Mac.

I'm debating getting hold of some Buckingham solo material.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 10, 2018 12:09

Hairball
dadrob
they are not making any great new music. The are an oldies act.

Leave the Stones out of this!

Why spend good money see FM again just to play their old hits?
Ridiculous!

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: April 10, 2018 12:51

tomcasagranda
Mike Campbell does a good job with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, covering Oh Well Part 1 on the Live Anthology set. I think he could be a good blend with Fleetwood Mac.

I'm debating getting hold of some Buckingham solo material.

I'd recommend Out of the Cradle & Go Insane. There's a bootleg version of Gift of Screws that has 2 or 3 Stones covers on it that are awesome. Worth hunting down.

Posted by: Tuna44 ()
Date: April 10, 2018 14:52

Guess we won't be hearing 'I'm So Afraid' during this tour. My favorite Lindsey song and my favorite guitar solo from all the songs he's written with FM. Was on the fence in regards to seeing this tour. Count me out now.

Date: April 10, 2018 15:05

Rocky Dijon
Rockman

Thanks, but I'll stick to gerbils. Anything that scares Richard Gere, scares me.

damn, you beat me to that connect.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 10, 2018 15:11

I actually interviewed him for my college newspaper in 1981. Being a total non-fan of Lindsey's music, I was not star struck in the least, and we had a good discussion about his love of Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys. However, being a total non-fan of Lindsey's music, I also never bothered to write the article.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 10, 2018 15:48

Tuna44
Guess we won't be hearing 'I'm So Afraid' during this tour. My favorite Lindsey song and my favorite guitar solo from all the songs he's written with FM. Was on the fence in regards to seeing this tour. Count me out now.
Yeah, that's always a show-stopper of a song. His vocals and solo are so emotive.

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: April 10, 2018 15:51

Paulhanrahan
Extraordinary he's been "fired" - the replacements however aren't that shabby.

From Rolling Stone.com

"Fleetwood Mac has fired Lindsey Buckingham after a disagreement over the band's upcoming tour, Rolling Stone has confirmed. The band announced Monday that Mike Campbell of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Neil Finn of Crowded House will replace him.

News of Buckingham's departure initially broke when former Fleetwood Mac guitarist Billy Burnette shared an April 4th tweet that has since been deleted, saying: "Breaking news: Lindsey Buckingham is out but I'm not in." Rolling Stone has confirmed Buckingham's departure, though no specific tour dates have been announced.

Fleetwood Mac issued a collective statement about the news, saying: "We are thrilled to welcome the musical talents of the caliber of Mike Campbell and Neil Finn into the Mac family. With Mike and Neil, we’ll be performing all the hits that the fans love, plus we’ll be surprising our audiences with some tracks from our historic catalogue of songs. Fleetwood Mac has always been a creative evolution. We look forward to honoring that spirit on this upcoming tour."

Mick Fleetwood added, "Fleetwood Mac has always been about an amazing collection of songs that are performed with a unique blend of talents ... We jammed with Mike and Neil and the chemistry really worked and let the band realize that this is the right combination to go forward with in Fleetwood Mac style. We know we have something new, yet it’s got the unmistakable Mac sound."

"Two weeks ago, I received a wonderful invitation to be a part of a truly great band," Finn tells Rolling Stone in a statement. "A few days later, I was standing in a room playing music with Fleetwood Mac. It felt fresh and exciting, so many great songs, a spectacular rhythm section and two of the greatest voices ever. Best of all, we sounded good together. It was a natural fit. I can’t wait to play."

Buckingham joined Fleetwood Mac in 1974 along with Stevie Nicks. He wrote and sang many of their most memorable songs, including "Go Your Own Way," "Tusk" and "Second Hand News." He left in 1987 shortly before the Tango in the Night tour (where he was replaced by Billy Burnette) and rejoined in 1996 for The Dance reunion tour. He remained active on the road with them for the next two decades. They last played full sets at Classic East and Classics West in July of last year, through they did play a brief set in January at the pre-Grammy MusiCares concert in their honor. The set ended, fittingly enough, with "Go Your Own Way."

In August of last year, Mick Fleetwood spoke to Rolling Stone about the band's next tour. "I was in Italy recently and met Stevie out there," he said. "She said to me, 'Let's sit down and really listen to some stuff that sort of almost got forgotten.' So I know she's already thinking she wants to do some things we haven't done in years. I always think that Stevie and Lindsey should do a Buckingham Nicks song in the set. And have Christine do a blues song. I hope it certainly won't be the same show as we did before. We always played nearly three hours, and we cut it back a little bit for the wear and tear, but we do over two hours. And when you got three singers, which is, like, three bands, really, to get that perfect set, it's a trip."

Mike Campbell and Neil Finn, now I'm interested!!

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 2 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2312
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home