Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 17
Re: OT:Fleetwood Mac Fires Lindsey Buckingham
Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: April 10, 2018 21:24

One thing that has always seemed odd is the members of Fleetwood Mac reported inability to properly handle their finances. After so many concerts and recording sales they should all be Ka-Billionaires at this point and only coming back to play for the joy of it.... which may be the case this time, I dont know for sure, but ditching Lindsey to get on the road... it appears they need some money.

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: April 10, 2018 21:30

Leonioid
One thing that has always seemed odd is the members of Fleetwood Mac reported inability to properly handle their finances. After so many concerts and recording sales they should all be Ka-Billionaires at this point and only coming back to play for the joy of it.... which may be the case this time, I dont know for sure, but ditching Lindsey to get on the road... it appears they need some money.

Mick Fleetwood has been bankrupt at least two or three times over the years (perhaps more)...I've never heard of any money troubles among the three songwriters in the band.

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 10, 2018 21:47

Leonioid
But if you want go for the joy of the music from their heyday, played by that band, sorry you missed it.... but dont lose hope... in 2-3 years Linsey will probably be back... but another member may have left by then... they seem to do it all in loving fun
I seriously doubt that...they're all in their 70s or on the verge of turning 70 (Lindsey is 68, Stevie is turning 70 next month). John McVie is a cancer survivor...even 5-6 years ago, MAYBE you could have made that case, but not now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 21:47 by keefriff99.

Date: April 10, 2018 21:55

keefriff99
Leonioid
But if you want go for the joy of the music from their heyday, played by that band, sorry you missed it.... but dont lose hope... in 2-3 years Linsey will probably be back... but another member may have left by then... they seem to do it all in loving fun

I seriously doubt that...they're all in their 70s or on the verge of turning 70 (Lindsey is 68, Stevie is turning 70 next month). John McVie is a cancer survivor...

I seriously doubt it too. Christine turns 75 in July...I don't think we're looking at any "in 2-3 years" at this point.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 10, 2018 22:20

Why We Love It When Fleetwood Mac Keep Breaking Up

The band's firing of Lindsey Buckingham might be the most quintessential chapter yet in the band's epic saga of dysfunction

Michael Ochs Archive/Getty

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: April 10, 2018 22:36

Jah Paul
keefriff99
Leonioid

I seriously doubt that...they're all in their 70s or on the verge of turning 70 (Lindsey is 68, Stevie is turning 70 next month). John McVie is a cancer survivor...

I seriously doubt it too. Christine turns 75 in July...I don't think we're looking at any "in 2-3 years" at this point.

Well... I guess we will see.
At this point I guess it is all about those who are optimistic, and those who predict impending doom and gloom. I do my best to be optimistic because there is no prize for predicting THE END.

I guess I learned from the pessimistic people were saying "I don't think we're looking at any "in 2-3 years" "" in 1976 about the Rolling Stones.

Date: April 10, 2018 22:38

I guess I learned from the pessimistic people were saying "I don't think we're looking at any "in 2-3 years" "" in 1976 and 1979 and 1983 and 1987 and 1993 and 1999 and 2004 and 2009 and 2011 and 2015 and 2018 about the Rolling Stones.grinning smiley

Date: April 10, 2018 22:45

Leonioid
I guess I learned from the pessimistic people were saying "I don't think we're looking at any "in 2-3 years" "" in 1976 about the Rolling Stones.

I'm not pessimistic...this was supposed to be Fleetwood Mac's farewell tour. They're the ones who were planning it, originally calling it that and not looking 2-3 years down the road. Get it?

And I hope you realize the difference between a band whose members are mostly in their 70's compared to 1976 when the Stones were in their 30's.

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: April 10, 2018 22:54

Fleetwood Mac should call it quits. No Buckingham, no band.Period.
I would not pay $10 to see the current FM at a local pub.

Posted by: colonial ()
Date: April 10, 2018 22:57

BluzDude
BowieStone
April fools, a bit late though?

For me it's over then. He's 90% of what I adore in Fleetwood Mac.

I think I've seen Fleetwood Mac for the last time.

BluzDude..hey mate whats with replacing Lindsey Buckingham with two guitarists and I would of thought Stevie would of used her longtime guitarist and close friend Waddy Wachtel yea

--------------
ColonialstoneNZ
--------------

Date: April 10, 2018 23:09

Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey Buckingham: A sign of good things to come?

Was he fired? Maybe not. Is this good for the band? Depends on what you like

Annie Zaleski

AP/Chris Pizzello

[www.salon.com]

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 10, 2018 23:22

^^^^^
Those two just really need to @#$%& again already. It really is, I hesitate to say magical but, interesting to say the least when you see them onstage. Either its all on act or they really are the weirdest friends/former lovers that truly make it seem like what they had still exists somewhere very close to the surface. Lindsey can make Stevie cry at the drop of a hat if he wants to, as evidenced by videos. And then they're up there rocking out 50 years into their friendship. Their dynamic is so god damn strange but equally fascinating.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: April 10, 2018 23:28

Rocky Dijon
All true, but Stevie used to pay a personal assistant to blow coke up her ass. Can Buckingham and McVie claim that? I don't think so. The Gold Dust Woman has earned her keep.

She had to pay someone to do that? Hell, back in the day I would have paid her for the privilege. smoking smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 10, 2018 23:32

colonial
BluzDude
BowieStone
April fools, a bit late though?

For me it's over then. He's 90% of what I adore in Fleetwood Mac.

I think I've seen Fleetwood Mac for the last time.

BluzDude..hey mate whats with replacing Lindsey Buckingham with two guitarists and I would of thought Stevie would of used her longtime guitarist and close friend Waddy Wachtel yea

I guess he's not as famous as Mike and doesn't have a voice like Neil.

With 2 new guitarists in the band, I wonder what it means for my neighbor (not exactly, but he lives close by) Brett Tuggle who has been part of the touring band for years.

Date: April 10, 2018 23:48

BluzDude
With 2 new guitarists in the band, I wonder what it means for my neighbor (not exactly, but he lives close by) Brett Tuggle who has been part of the touring band for years.

Brett plays keyboards mostly, doesn't he? I think he's safe. As for Neale Heywood, who's been on rhythm guitar since '97 (and I believe a member of Lindsey's solo band), he's probably out.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 10, 2018 23:53

Midnight Toker

Quite right. Go and see the Tribute band Rumours instead.

Date: April 11, 2018 00:06

bye bye johnny
Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey Buckingham: A sign of good things to come?

Was he fired? Maybe not. Is this good for the band? Depends on what you like

Annie Zaleski

AP/Chris Pizzello

[www.salon.com]

What an insanely ridiculous article IMO. There would be a very different tone if Stevie Nicks left.

And whatever article said Green Manalishi was written by Kirwan is wrong. Its a Green song and Rolling Stone are @#$%& morons if they wrote otherwise but thats the kind of journalism I've come to expect from them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-11 00:12 by RollingFreak.

Date: April 11, 2018 00:06

Jah Paul
BluzDude

Brett plays keyboards mostly, doesn't he? I think he's safe. As for Neale Heywood, who's been on rhythm guitar since '97 (and I believe a member of Lindsey's solo band), he's probably out.

Brett does play both, you might be right about Neale. BTW, Brett has been a member of both Lindsey's band and Stevie's band.

Date: April 11, 2018 00:14

jlowe
Midnight Toker

Quite right. Go and see the Tribute band Rumours instead.

I've seen Rumours and they are quite good.

Date: April 11, 2018 00:15

BluzDude
BTW, Brett has been a member of both Lindsey's band and Stevie's band.

Smart of him to hedge his bets!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 11, 2018 00:17

Jah Paul
Hairball
Rolling Stone magazine takes a closer looks at all the twists and turns of the soap opera:

Billy Burnette (1987 to 1995)
Fleetwood Mac had a major problem on their hands when Lindsey Buckingham walked away from the group following the release of 1987's Tango in the Night. The album was a big hit and a tour was in the works, but they hadn't played a show without Buckingham since he joined in late 1974. Nobody else in the band was willing to see the group die, so they hired guitar virtuoso Billy Burnette and hit the arena circuit. He stuck around through the lean years that followed when Nicks exited and the group was left opening for REO Speedwagon, but they had no use for him once Nicks and Buckingham returned in 1996 for The Dance.

They didn't hire Burnette for his guitar playing, but for his vocals...the article neglects to mention Rick Vito was brought aboard in 1987 (with Burnette) as the lead guitarist. He left in 1991.

I figured there'd be some inaccuracies considering it's Rolling Stone magazine, but with such a long soap opera of a history I suppose some omisson's, etc. can be expected.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: April 11, 2018 00:22

oldschool
Rocky Dijon
All true, but Stevie used to pay a personal assistant to blow coke up her ass. Can Buckingham and McVie claim that? I don't think so. The Gold Dust Woman has earned her keep.

She had to pay someone to do that? Hell, back in the day I would have paid her for the privilege. smoking smiley

Is this documented? Is there some sort of video on YouTube or something?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-11 01:09 by Bungo.

Date: April 11, 2018 00:25

Hairball
I figured there'd be some inaccuracies considering it's Rolling Stone magazine, but with such a long soap opera of a history I suppose some omisson's, etc. can be expected.

Yeah, RS misses a lot of details, big and small. Interesting how thirty years later, FM again needs two guys to replace Lindsey.

Date: April 11, 2018 00:29

RollingFreak

What an insanely ridiculous article IMO. There would be a very different tone if Stevie Nicks left.

The Salon article makes no mention of Nicks leaving.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 11, 2018 00:49

Midnight Toker

Fleetwood Mac should quit after these three guys left the band or start a new band or name ........

Peter Green
Jeremy Spencer
Danny Kirwan

There is totally no comparison with the old and new Mac

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 11, 2018 01:17

.... Geeeeez band-jumpin' kinda messes with the head
look at INXS after Hutchence checked out ....Terence Trent D'Arby
Russell Hitchcock then Jon Stevens who lasted about twelve months
then went to sniff the Dead Daisies and court rich chicks .....

ROCKMAN

Date: April 11, 2018 01:29

NICOS
Midnight Toker

Fleetwood Mac should quit after these three guys left the band or start a new band or name ........

Peter Green
Jeremy Spencer
Danny Kirwan

There is totally no comparison with the old and new Mac

Perhaps true, but that's what makes Fleetwood Mac unique - the evolving/revolving door of members leaving for good, leaving and coming back, etc., etc., etc.
The only common thread throughout the entire history is Mick Fleetwood and John McVie - the namesake of the band - so in that sense some may say "why not?" to this latest change.
But the fact is this is a farewell tour, and bringing in two guitar players that have never recorded with the band to replace a significantly major key member (writer, singer, guitar player) seems totally nonsensical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-11 01:31 by Hairball.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: April 11, 2018 01:39

OT on the OT FM thread/ quick conscious footnote:
I did initially make a little fun of Axl Rose when he opened Coachella in a wheelchair without socks on,
but he pulled out and went on to be on time and give full shows/ good reviews for G Roses shows, then AC/DC shows making fans happy. Well done.

Date: April 11, 2018 01:41

Is it still seen as the farewell tour? Or has Lindsey leaving changed that and this will now just be "another tour"? Thats a genuine question, cause I feel Farewell was probably being used maybe cause it was true but also as this tour's gimmick. With Lindsey gone and these guys in, I feel you don't need that gimmick anymore. Either you're on board with this or you're not.

As for it being two different bands, it 100% is. There's no ifs ands or buts about it. The band that wrote Oh Well, Jewel Eyed Judy and Bare Trees is a radically different band that wrote Fleetwood Mac, Rumors and Tusk. Having said that, they are the only band to go through that many changes and not only continue but become bigger than they ever were while switching their entire leadership. They are maybe the only band I think have earned the right to be Fleetwood Mac, even though it is a different Fleetwood Mac than when they started. There's nothing else to call them. Its just a once in a lifetime band and situation.

Date: April 11, 2018 01:52

Not sure if it's still being called a "Farewell" Tour or not, but I guess we'll find out. If true, might as well call it "Good Riddance" as far as I'm concerned.
But then again who knows...maybe they'll record and release some new material with this new lineup which could add some legitimacy to it all...eye rolling smiley

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 4 of 17

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1414
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home