Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Opening song for No Filter 2018
Posted by: bertrichards ()
Date: March 4, 2018 23:31

Stoneage
Of course you can't start up with a blues or a ballad. You need energy and up-tempo.

Why? I loved the tour where they were opening with an unhasty "Not Fade Away"...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-04 23:31 by bertrichards.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 4, 2018 23:37

2000 Man ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: mariano ()
Date: March 4, 2018 23:40

SFTD
IORR
Hang Fire
Dance Little Sister

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: March 4, 2018 23:42

SFM should be the opener

Posted by: laughinearlydied ()
Date: March 4, 2018 23:44

problem is that there will be a lot of light, so sympathy would not look as cool imho. would like to see something strange, or something upbeat. or both.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 5, 2018 00:05

spain73
Ticket Fighting Man

Jumpin' Jack Cash

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: March 5, 2018 00:08

No more symphaty as an opener.Have to be the Worst version ever.No guitar at all

Posted by: ElGeordie ()
Date: March 5, 2018 00:22

In 1982 they used "Under My Thumb" I thought it was a great opener.

Date: March 5, 2018 00:34

ElGeordie
In 1982 they used "Under My Thumb" I thought it was a great opener.

1981 as well, and agree it was a great opener.

Posted by: diverseharmonics ()
Date: March 5, 2018 01:05

Should be a fast Chuck Berry number. Someone listed Route 66---that'd be great--maybe Around and Around...even tho the version from 2012 was a disaster...Carol?...how about a super fast I want to be your Driver?..Maybelline?...anyhow I thought it strange they pretty much ignored his death and didn't pay homage to him on the 2017 tour. Thought for sure they would.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: March 5, 2018 02:11

Rip This Joint would be awesome!

Posted by: eduardoacdc ()
Date: March 5, 2018 03:15

-SFM

-YGMR

-BS

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 5, 2018 03:27

eduardoacdc
-SFM

-YGMR

-BS

Just no. angry smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 5, 2018 03:32

I wonder if they have enough trust in Keith's state/abilities to let him open the show with a riff. From that perspective perhaps SFTD again.

Otherwise I always liked Under My Thumb as a show opener.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: March 5, 2018 03:44

Smoke This Joint smileys with beer

Date: March 5, 2018 03:48

doitywoik
I wonder if they have enough trust in Keith's state/abilities to let him open the show with a riff. From that perspective perhaps SFTD again.

Good point doitywoik...could be that the "riffmaster" needs to warm up a bit before unleashing a proper riff, and the plodding/meandering Sympathy as opener gives him the time to do so.

smoking smileysmoking smileysmoking smileyRe: Opening song for No Filter 2018
Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 5, 2018 04:01

StonedAsia
Smoke This Joint smileys with beer

Done.
Now what song for opener?? smoking smiley

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: March 5, 2018 05:09

Hairball
doitywoik

Good point doitywoik...could be that the "riffmaster" needs to warm up a bit before unleashing a proper riff, and the plodding/meandering Sympathy as opener gives him the time to do so.

Yeah, let's see, now that Keith claims to be sober (only coffee and cigarettes left), whether that makes a difference. If we suddenly get raised tempos, at least we now know it's the coffee ...

I'm just afraid that apart from all other reasons, UMT like in the 1981/82 tour will no longer work out arthritis-wise.

I always thought One Hit To The Body would be (/have been) a great show opener: first Woody coming out, playing the chords on the acoustic, then Keith coming up with the riff on his tele, and finally Mick delivering the shouts! Could be kinda wow! But it won't happen.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 5, 2018 05:24

TE
- I wanna be your man (O2)

TE
Oslo

I wouldn’t make it to song 2.
I would make it, you caught me off guard, did not know it was done (or forgot)

Wait! For the record, I would not moan like the woman recording this
[m.youtube.com]
O2 2012 Opener it’s very good!

P.S.
When I thought of ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’ as an opener my mind was thinking of
‘I’m A Man’ Muddy Waters
You see the difference?
#2 correct, I might not make it

[www.dailymotion.com]
‘I’m A Man’ w/ Muddy Waters

Okay, lastly, that whole ‘Love You Live’ El Mocambo Show
‘Mannish Boy’ makes me unsteady knocks my socks off
[m.youtube.com]

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-05 05:44 by 35love.

Posted by: MizzAmandaJonez ()
Date: March 5, 2018 05:38

Time is on my side

Everyone sings along -

Save the energy for the end

Saw Neil Young open Desert Trip with After the Gold Rush and it was slow, mellow and one of the best openers I've seen by anyone

Just my 02c and looking forward to seeing some of you in Scotland

CHELSKEITH

Date: March 5, 2018 05:42

Speaking of Under My Thumb as opener in '81/'82, just a random thought but I wish they would play Time is on My Side again as it was a highlight for me during the '81 shows, and would be quite timely this late in their careers. Even as an opening song...I'd probably be in tears...winking smiley

EDIT:

MizzAmandaJonez
Time is on my side

Everyone sings along -

Saw Neil Young open Desert Trip with After the Gold Rush and it was slow, mellow and one of the best openers I've seen by anyone

CHELSKEITH

OMG - as I was typing the above you were posting this!!!!!! eye popping smiley smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-05 05:44 by Hairball.

Date: March 5, 2018 05:45

MizzAmandaJonez
Time is on my side

Everyone sings along -

CHELSKEITH

‘Time Is On My Side’ would be TOO SLOW. JMO

Date: March 5, 2018 05:54

Plus, to come out singing ‘Time Is On My Side’ ??
bragging, tempting fate, too obvious, too slow.

Posted by: Cooltoplady ()
Date: March 5, 2018 05:56

MizzAmandaJonez
Time is on my side

Everyone sings along -

CHELSKEITH

Why do people predict these semi slow songs.
The lights go down. People stand in mass with their arms pumping in the air. Loud intro music blaring out of the PA! Your heart is pounding it feels like its gonna come out your chest! The video causing an adrenaline rush. You dont even want to blink. Endorphins are making you euphoric. You hear the words that you live by : ladies and gentlemen THE ROLLING STONES! Stage lights come on! You see keith come out! Twang twang twang. Ti i i ime is on my side. yes it is. You get you smart phone out and check your email....zzzzzzzzzz

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 5, 2018 06:46

I haven't really watched the SFTD opener from No Filter I on YouTube but I have really mixed feelings about that song live. Of course the high water mark is GYYYO. By the time the Bigger Bang tour rolled around it started to feel like it was beaten to death and just plain boring. Like an old warhorse on its last legs.

Plus, I get cringes from the drum machine. It just doesn't seem right. This is not Daft Punk it's the Rolling farking Stones!

Then I factor in that they can't deliver an opening "bang" like they used to. I saw them open with JJF in 2013 and it was sort of like a hollow fulfillment of a life-long dream. By then I was too old to get a thrill out of it and they were too old to deliver the song with some serious bang.

Part of it is the thinness of their sound. Yes, they came back as a "guitar band" in 2012 but my sense is that they are still a drums/bass/piano/backing vocals band and then they hang guitar chords loosely and sparsely onto that structure. Keith sometimes plays a skeletal version of a song and if he stops playing for 10 seconds sometimes you barely even notice it. For example I think Plundered My Soul could be an awesome opener but it has to be thick and dynamic and the swing has to be forceful and hit you. But if it is more like little wispy guitars and guitar licks on top of a steady metronome framework it would be awful.

Date: March 5, 2018 07:08

MileHigh
I haven't really watched the SFTD opener from No Filter I on YouTube but I have really mixed feelings about that song live. Of course the high water mark is GYYYO. By the time the Bigger Bang tour rolled around it started to feel like it was beaten to death and just plain boring. Like an old warhorse on its last legs.

Plus, I get cringes from the drum machine. It just doesn't seem right. This is not Daft Punk it's the Rolling farking Stones!

Then I factor in that they can't deliver an opening "bang" like they used to. I saw them open with JJF in 2013 and it was sort of like a hollow fulfillment of a life-long dream. By then I was too old to get a thrill out of it and they were too old to deliver the song with some serious bang.

Part of it is the thinness of their sound. Yes, they came back as a "guitar band" in 2012 but my sense is that they are still a drums/bass/piano/backing vocals band and then they hang guitar chords loosely and sparsely onto that structure. Keith sometimes plays a skeletal version of a song and if he stops playing for 10 seconds sometimes you barely even notice it. For example I think Plundered My Soul could be an awesome opener but it has to be thick and dynamic and the swing has to be forceful and hit you. But if it is more like little wispy guitars and guitar licks on top of a steady metronome framework it would be awful.

‘Plundered My Soul’ would never work as an opener/ not enough of a hit song/ too few people know it.
Again, JMO.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: March 5, 2018 10:02

Rehab Blues (rehearsed in 2002). Just a joke.

Date: March 5, 2018 10:11

For every tour I have a dream of hearing them start with the-prison gates squeaking and the wonderful piano of We Love You.

Would have made a perfect opener, as well as a nice statement to the fans.

Posted by: 1963luca0 ()
Date: March 5, 2018 10:29

Paint It Black

Posted by: astmalia ()
Date: March 5, 2018 10:37

1. Gomper
2. Something happend to me yesterday
3. Short and curlies
4. I just want to see his face
5. I'd Much Rather Be With the Boys

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1577
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home