Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8
Re: Opening song for No Filter 2018
Date: March 5, 2018 10:43

1963luca0
Paint It Black

Did that happen once or twice, or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 5, 2018 10:47

DandelionPowderman
1963luca0
Paint It Black

A couple of times in 2006. North American Fall tour.

Date: March 5, 2018 10:48

erikjjf
DandelionPowderman
1963luca0
Paint It Black

A couple of times in 2006. North American Fall tour.

Thanks, Erik! I knew I head read it somewhere smiling smiley

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: March 5, 2018 10:55

I am not really sure if there will be any new or rarely played Songs at all on this leg of the tour.

Date: March 5, 2018 11:00

saltoftheearth
I am not really sure if there will be any new or rarely played Songs at all on this leg of the tour.

Probably two or three, like last year.

They played Dancing With Mr. D, Under My Thumb, Ride 'Em On Down and Just Your Fool regularly.

Shine A Light, Hate To See You Go and Play With Fire were played once.

There will be some nuggets for the troopers who'll travel and pay up, I guess smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-05 11:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 5, 2018 11:57

I suspect that by now they've run out of ideas for original ways to start a show ! Nothing very original since NFA in 1995 with Mick coming up from under the stage in an elevator...actually wasn't that dropped after a while due to malfunctions of the device ? Sympathy in 2017 with Keith's terrifying monster sound was a thrill though.

MisterDDDD
Street Fighting Man

Wanna Be Your Man was a fantastic opener in '12, unlikely repeat but something similarly unexpected would be great! Dance Little Sister would work/

I was thrilled to hear it but it didn't really work as no one seemed to know the song apart from the die hards ! I was in the second row in the pit and I could see Mick really struggling to rev up the audience as he ran left and right, a "warhorse" obviously makes it a lot easier for him.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-05 12:56 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: March 5, 2018 12:08

Haha...

Posted by: StonesSmeth99 ()
Date: March 5, 2018 15:49

MileHigh
I haven't really watched the SFTD opener from No Filter I on YouTube but I have really mixed feelings about that song live. Of course the high water mark is GYYYO. By the time the Bigger Bang tour rolled around it started to feel like it was beaten to death and just plain boring. Like an old warhorse on its last legs.

Plus, I get cringes from the drum machine. It just doesn't seem right. This is not Daft Punk it's the Rolling farking Stones!

Then I factor in that they can't deliver an opening "bang" like they used to. I saw them open with JJF in 2013 and it was sort of like a hollow fulfillment of a life-long dream. By then I was too old to get a thrill out of it and they were too old to deliver the song with some serious bang.

Part of it is the thinness of their sound. Yes, they came back as a "guitar band" in 2012 but my sense is that they are still a drums/bass/piano/backing vocals band and then they hang guitar chords loosely and sparsely onto that structure. Keith sometimes plays a skeletal version of a song and if he stops playing for 10 seconds sometimes you barely even notice it. For example I think Plundered My Soul could be an awesome opener but it has to be thick and dynamic and the swing has to be forceful and hit you. But if it is more like little wispy guitars and guitar licks on top of a steady metronome framework it would be awful.

Jumping Jack Flash was an electrifying opener at Paris II last October and Madrid in 2014. But a bit thin in Hamburg on opening night, towards the end of the set.

Posted by: Juniorjackflash ()
Date: March 5, 2018 16:13

Street fighting man - first stones show when I was 15 in ‘03 at the MEN - fantastic.

Failing that - I hope they hold on to Jack Flash until the tail of the set - too much excitement from the word go.

If they are going to play a load of warhorses anyway - I’d rather they knock one off at the start that I’m not as bothered about - Brown Sugar YCAGWYW or even get Iorr out of the way.

To be fair they could come out to Bah Bah Blacksheep and I’ll still be bouncing with excitement - it’s the arolling stones

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 5, 2018 16:35

Perhaps some LP openers that haven't been overdone otherwise:

If You Can't Rock Me
Love Is Strong
Flip The Switch
Rough Justice

Aside from LIS, those are all kickin' tunes.

Or... LP closers:

Crazy Mama
Shattered
It Must Be Hell
Fingerprint File
I Can't Quit You Baby

Date: March 5, 2018 16:46

GasLightStreet
Perhaps some LP openers that haven't been overdone otherwise:

If You Can't Rock Me
Love Is Strong
Flip The Switch
Rough Justice

Aside from LIS, those are all kickin' tunes.

Or... LP closers:

Crazy Mama
Shattered
It Must Be Hell
Fingerprint File
I Can't Quit You Baby

They opened with that one once, and butchered it. Superstitious as they are, they won't dare it again, methinks smiling smiley

Posted by: HouseBoyKnows ()
Date: March 5, 2018 17:14

It's gotta be something that the entire audience will recognize right away from the opening riff. Not just diehard geeks like us. So nothing from the list of non-warhorse gems.

Plus, I agree, with the late dusk time of year, SFTD will be less impactful.

Plus, I agree it must be up-tempo.

Plus, I agree to avoid the obvious and well-worn like SMU, JJF, Satisfaction, BS

So I vote for PIB or SFM, or maybe IORR.

HBK

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: March 5, 2018 17:27

Could be HTW...it's not an up-tempo but got a kickin' groove...

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: March 5, 2018 17:30

Two days ago I dreamt of Stones playing Complicated as opener. At least in my dream work very well!

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: March 5, 2018 20:18

Juniorjackflash
Street fighting man - first stones show when I was 15 in ‘03 at the MEN - fantastic.

Failing that - I hope they hold on to Jack Flash until the tail of the set - too much excitement from the word go.

If they are going to play a load of warhorses anyway - I’d rather they knock one off at the start that I’m not as bothered about - Brown Sugar YCAGWYW or even get Iorr out of the way.

To be fair they could come out to Bah Bah Blacksheep and I’ll still be bouncing with excitement - it’s the arolling stones

I would pay an extra fee to see that! winking smiley

Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: March 5, 2018 20:35

DandelionPowderman
For every tour I have a dream of hearing them start with the-prison gates squeaking and the wonderful piano of We Love You.

Would have made a perfect opener, as well as a nice statement to the fans.

I would definitely like that one, too. But I believe that's just our immagination.

Sympathy was kind of a real revolution as opener and it worked so well. What a big and positive surprise it was when at Hamburg first the stage exploded all in fire, the drum and percussion intro started, the crowd instantly joined in "whoo whoo" and then Mick came on "Yahyahyahyah ... Please allow me to introduce myself ..". Unforgetable, man.

d.f

Not to forget Keith's weird solo. Whoo whoo!

PS: IORR but I like it! Still!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-05 20:36 by dead.flowers.

Posted by: icke66 ()
Date: March 5, 2018 21:12

"Not Fade Away" would be great again after Voodoo Lounge tour 1994

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: March 5, 2018 21:30

Not Fade Away, as they are appearing not to.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: March 5, 2018 21:55

The Last Time.

Posted by: john lomax ()
Date: March 5, 2018 22:14

I think it will be Sympathy again. And in the places where they do more than one show they will mix it up with JJF.

The only other realistic options I think are Start Me Up or Brown Sugar. HTW could be a wild card.

But I would bet money on it being Sympathy and JJF.

Posted by: stonerolling ()
Date: March 5, 2018 22:24

corriecas
Come on. or We Love you.
jeroen
We Love You would be incredible

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 6, 2018 02:12

Out of the warhorses, Satisfaction works well as an opener - they're going to play it anyway. (Although they didn't at O2 in 2012)

I also think The Last Time would work very well.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: March 6, 2018 05:37

Cooltoplady
MizzAmandaJonez
Time is on my side

Everyone sings along -

Save the energy for the end

Saw Neil Young open Desert Trip with After the Gold Rush and it was slow, mellow and one of the best openers I've seen by anyone

Just my 02c and looking forward to seeing some of you in Scotland

CHELSKEITH

Why do people predict these semi slow songs.
The lights go down. People stand in mass with their arms pumping in the air. Loud intro music blaring out of the PA! Your heart is pounding it feels like its gonna come out your chest! The video causing an adrenaline rush. You dont even want to blink. Endorphins are making you euphoric. You hear the words that you live by : ladies and gentlemen THE ROLLING STONES! Stage lights come on! You see keith come out! Twang twang twang. Ti i i ime is on my side. yes it is. You get you smart phone out and check your email....zzzzzzzzzz

OMG thats is so funny. So true but till funny.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 6, 2018 06:29

I wanna be your man was the best opener they had in ages. It's a shame they didn't open with it on the reg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-06 06:30 by ryanpow.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 6, 2018 13:31

Well I'm the rebel and that's why I say the Old Bones don't need to care too much if everybody knows the opening song at this point in time. That's why I am really reaching with Fortune Teller. But it is a catchy little tune and if they were much younger they could probably pull it off. But, presumably they will say crowd-pleasingly safe.

But when you think of it, opening with Let it Rock in 1978 was very much in tune with going your own way. Only the die-hard fans would have known that song.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: March 6, 2018 13:40

How about opening each show with a DIFFERENT song? That would add a surprise factor.

Date: March 6, 2018 14:35

franzk
How about opening each show with a DIFFERENT song? That would add a surprise factor.

Different than what? SFTD?

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: March 6, 2018 14:50

franzk

That's what I like about Springsteen shows. Every one I've been to has opened with a different song, and you never know exactly what you're going to get.

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 6, 2018 15:55

gotdablouse
I suspect that by now they've run out of ideas for original ways to start a show ! Nothing very original since NFA in 1995 with Mick coming up from under the stage in an elevator...actually wasn't that dropped after a while due to malfunctions of the device ? Sympathy in 2017 with Keith's terrifying monster sound was a thrill though.

MisterDDDD
Street Fighting Man

Wanna Be Your Man was a fantastic opener in '12, unlikely repeat but something similarly unexpected would be great! Dance Little Sister would work/

I was thrilled to hear it but it didn't really work as no one seemed to know the song apart from the die hards ! I was in the second row in the pit and I could see Mick really struggling to rev up the audience as he ran left and right, a "warhorse" obviously makes it a lot easier for him.

I maintain ‘I’m A Man’ (Bo Diddley) without Mick dressed like a proper English gent in checkered trilby hat and coat
would have warmed up the audience quite nicely drinking smiley

Posted by: cowboytoast ()
Date: March 6, 2018 15:55

i'm with you on this - if anything this mini tour has "paint by the numbers" written all over it - if indeed they are in the midst of trying to finish an album i doubt very seriously they are going to try and dust off "Feel On Baby", "Everything Is Turning To Gold" or "Each and Every Day of The Year"...but it sure would be nice if they would...

Goto Page: Previous12345678Next
Current Page: 3 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1633
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home