Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 91
Re: The Rolling Stones No Filter UK/Europe Tour 2018 talks
Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: April 29, 2018 07:51

Hairball
bye bye johnny
Link to The Irish Sun article:

[www.thesun.ie]

Kind of sad really, but they reap what the sow.

When Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Take That, Garth Brooks, and U2 can sell out a stadium, while the Stones can't - there's something wrong with the picture.

Seems the Stones are being completely overshadowed in Ireland by Ed Sheeran:

Ed Sheeran: We’re about to become a nation of Edheads

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 29, 2018 10:53

DeanGoodman
Hairball
bye bye johnny

[www.thesun.ie]

When Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Take That, Garth Brooks, and U2 can sell out a stadium, while the Stones can't - there's something wrong with the picture.

Well if the Stones are going to be overshadowed by anyone, i can't think of a more nicer talented singer songwriter than Ed. He even gets keith's blessing smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 29, 2018 11:03

keithsman
DeanGoodman
Hairball
bye bye johnny

[www.thesun.ie]

Well if the Stones are going to be overshadowed by anyone, i can't think of a more nicer talented singer songwriter than Ed. He even gets keith's blessing smoking smiley

Yeah he seems like a very nice chap, and even though I'm not very familiar with his music he's obviously talented and respected.
And can't blame the people of Ireland for supporting a young talented performer and showering him with love vs. a group of ancient/obsolete dinosaurs ................(lol just kidding winking smiley ),

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: April 29, 2018 12:41

Hairball
keithsman
DeanGoodman
Hairball
bye bye johnny

[www.thesun.ie]

Yeah he seems like a very nice chap, and even though I'm not very familiar with his music he's obviously talented and respected.
And can't blame the people of Ireland for supporting a young talented performer and showering him with love vs. a group of ancient/obsolete dinosaurs ................(lol just kidding winking smiley ),

I'm sure once the Stones roll into town the people of Dublin will be going crazy for them, lets face it they got a lot more going for them when it comes to excitement winking smiley

Posted by: exhpart ()
Date: April 29, 2018 17:55

Is this turning into a ticket prices complaints thread? I haven't seen them for 5 years since Hyde Park 1 in 2013 so I'm really looking forward to seeing them again 3x as I'm off to London Stadium twice and Twickenham once. Its costing me £300 for all 3 gigs. I think thats reasonable. With any luck it'll be complete chaos like Rome 2007 and if we want to get to the front we will lol. But if not and security is tight I accept that those lucky few who can afford it will be in the Pit or the Gold Circle. I don't even envy them. I've shaken Jaggers hand and I've got a Keef plectrum!

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: April 29, 2018 19:53

Interesting tid-bit about the band attending (hosting?) a party and wanting parking variances to do so.. Wonder if it's pre-tour or ??
An after tour party doesn't seem likely as the tour rolls on after London.. But??
Also likely the venue/plans will change now that it's in the press.

[www.nme.com]
Rolling Stones want anti-parking bollards removed outside a restaurant so they can attend a party
"A staff member claims the band won’t confirm their attendance unless they can pull up outside the venue

The manager of a Mayfair restaurant has claimed he has been asked by aides of the Rolling Stones to facilitate the removal of parking bollards outside the venue.

The band are reportedly in talks to attend a party at Mayfair’s Moma restaurant, but staff member Albert Huava told the Daily Mail that the band won’t confirm attendance until two anti-parking bollards outside the venue have been removed so they can pull up right outside. "

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 29, 2018 20:46

When? Daily Mail article says "next month".

[www.dailymail.co.uk]

Date: April 30, 2018 11:44

They're doing some serious promotion now for this tour.

- Radio adverts
- TV adverts
- Massive banners near each venue (big print over hotel football by Old Trafford yesterday).

Are number of tickets sold a lot lower than we think?

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: April 30, 2018 11:53

scoreboardpaddock
They're doing some serious promotion now for this tour.

- Radio adverts
- TV adverts
- Massive banners near each venue (big print over hotel football by Old Trafford yesterday).

Are number of tickets sold a lot lower than we think?

The problem is that without a seating plan like in Germany we can only guess how tickets sell. The fact that there are even GA tickets for many venues in UK available is very frustrating. Especially the gigs outside of London seem to sell very poor judging the availability of nearly all categories.

Here in Germany they do a lot of advertising. I live in a small city 60km north of Stuttgart. In my small city (18.000 citizens) there are at least 5 advert columns. They are all over the place in the neighbor villages too. They do massive advertising on radio stations, in the beginning of the sale even on TV. Every 2nd Youtube video starts with the German Stones trailer advert for me. I think they knew from the start that this won't be as easy as it was in 2017. But Stuttgart is selling well according to the seating plan. There are only bad and expensive tickets available or tickets that are at insane prices (pit, front sitting). Sometimes they release good seats (I think they are from the packages) and they are sold within a few hours or days.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: April 30, 2018 13:00

"Are number of tickets sold a lot lower than we think?"

I think it depends on who do you mean, saying "we", scoreboardpaddock. It seems like there are here, on the board, people who believe that the Stones will play in half - empty stadiums on the upcoming tour, due to ticket prices, due to big number of the gigs in UK, etc. I suppose the reality is better than these predictions. Let' see.

In any case, serious promotion doesn't mean bad sales, necessarily. Promotion's intensification is absolutely normal, a few weeks before tour's start. As you see, Hockenheim95 says the advertising is strong near Stuttgart and and the same time he has the impression that they are selling well for Stuttgart gig. Promotion is never frill, except of the "fast sold out"cases. But by these prices sold out could not be fast. So promotion is useful, no matter whether the tickets sold are 50% or 85%.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 30, 2018 15:42

Someone in the office with no interest in the band said there was a 2 page splash in the Telegraph (which generally attracts an affluent readership) at the weekend for the UK Dates. I don't buy newspapers so will leave for someone else to verify.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-30 15:43 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 30, 2018 18:08

Rolling Stones facing empty seats despite cut-price concert tickets

MICHAEL HICKEY/GETTY IMAGES

Nick Bramhill
April 30 2018

The Rolling Stones’ hopes of playing to a full stadium at Croke Park are starting to fade away after a heavily publicised discounted ticket promotion for their Dublin gig failed to attract fans.

A limited number of “lucky dip” tickets for Croke Park and the other 13 European venues on the forthcoming leg of the band’s No Filter tour were released a week ago.

Yesterday Croke Park, where the Rolling Stones open their tour on May 17 before playing eight gigs in the UK and five across the Continent, was the only venue to still have cut-price tickets marked available on the band’s official website.

The “lucky dip” tickets for the 82,000-capacity Irish gig are being sold in pairs and are priced at €54.65 each, plus service charge. For these tickets, concertgoers will only find out where they will be seated in the stadium when they pick up their passes on the night of the gig.

With less than three weeks to go until Mick Jagger and his bandmates arrive in Dublin, it is looking more and more likely that the gig — the biggest on the next leg of the tour — will have a large number of empty seats. Sluggish sales have led to heavy publicising of the Dublin show, with radio and television adverts and ticket giveaways.

Jagger has also given newspaper and TV interviews to try to promote the event. Hundreds of seated tickets were still available yesterday on the Ticketmaster site, with prices ranging from €90 to €136 for upper stands of the stadium, to €181 for lower stands.

Passes to the VIP pit area beside the stage are priced at €456 each.

The Rolling Stones, which was formed in London in 1962 and have since released 30 studio albums, last played in Ireland 11 years ago when they headlined Slane. The band, which consists of Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts and Ronnie Wood, are being supported by an up-and-coming indie four-piece from Westmeath, called the Academic, at the GAA headquarters.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: April 30, 2018 19:08

"...Croke Park (...) was the only venue to still have cut-price tickets marked available on the band’s official website...".

Hmm...Does it mean that the sales for the other gigs are better? Or it's partly normal, given that Croke Park is a really huge venue? Just wondering...

"...Hundreds of seated tickets were still available yesterday on the Ticketmaster site..."

Hundreds, yes, but how many? And as part of which total (Ticketmaster's) number? Without knowing these particular numbers,how could anyone know the real situation?

I'm not predicting something, good or bad. I just remember what happened before 2013 tour (North America). A part of US Press made provisions for half- empty arenas, for "upcoming disaster", etc. But, judging from videos, the venues were full, or almost. And the grosses huge...

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: April 30, 2018 19:21

laertisflash
"...Croke Park (...) was the only venue to still have cut-price tickets marked available on the band’s official website...".

Hmm...Does it mean that the sales for the other gigs are better? Or it's partly normal, given that Croke Park is a really huge venue? Just wondering...

"...Hundreds of seated tickets were still available yesterday on the Ticketmaster site..."

Hundreds, yes, but how many? And as part of which total (Ticketmaster's) number? Without knowing these particular numbers,how could anyone know the real situation?

I'm not predicting something, good or bad. I just remember what happened before 2013 tour (North America). A part of US Press made provisions for half- empty arenas, for "upcoming disaster", etc. But, judging from videos, the venues were full, or almost. And the grosses huge...

put it like this, you can go here and see that the best seats available are in block 303, Row L, so that's pretty darned close to the stage, and those tickets at €181 are still available, all the way back to row GG.

You can go check out block 309 and it's a similar story. And most likely the same the other side of the pitch.

Upper decks? It's worse. You can get a seat in Row E in block 729 and anything back for €136.

Cheapest seats in the house? That's €90 in block 720 and from Row L back, it's yours for the taking. So we don't *know* how bad things are because obviously we don't know how many LDs have been sold but given that they're a niche product, that were only thrust into the limelight last week for a few days, they're hardly gonna make up *that* many seats.

Date: April 30, 2018 19:37

"With less than three weeks to go until Mick Jagger and his bandmates arrive in Dublin, it is looking more and more likely that the gig — the biggest on the next leg of the tour — will have a large number of empty seats. Sluggish sales have led to heavy publicising of the Dublin show, with radio and television adverts and ticket giveaways. Jagger has also given newspaper and TV interviews to try to promote the event".

Desperation is setting in...

Date: April 30, 2018 20:28

Seems a lot are desperate to see them fail.

Since the rumored UK/Ireland tour was announced, all concerned were aware it would likely be a tougher sell than normal with that many seats to fill in such a relatively small geographic. Dublin with the various factors already discussed even more so.

This may finally be the tour where the doubters/fence sitters may be right for a couple of venues.
File under "even a broken clock is right twice a day".
Makes very little difference to me on a stadium tour, where my motto has always been.. "doesn't matter how many fans are behind me".

Little early still for them to be dancing in the end zone though as we've seen for decades now.

Posted by: Harlem Shuffler ()
Date: April 30, 2018 20:36

The Stones should have taken notice of "The Ticket Prices and other Complaints Thread".

I wonder how well sales are outside Ireland. I haven't seen much advertising myself so I assume there won't be many unsold seats.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 30, 2018 20:37

Maybe Croke Park will look like Berlin, Olympic Stadium in 2006. But they will still get their millions. The rest is the problem of the local promotors.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 30, 2018 21:43

MisterDDDD

Makes very little difference to me on a stadium tour, where my motto has always been.. "doesn't matter how many fans are behind me".

that's my motto, too. But I hate empty seats in front of me

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: April 30, 2018 22:13

MisterDDDD
Seems a lot are desperate to see them fail.

Since the rumored UK/Ireland tour was announced, all concerned were aware it would likely be a tougher sell than normal with that many seats to fill in such a relatively small geographic. Dublin with the various factors already discussed even more so.

This may finally be the tour where the doubters/fence sitters may be right for a couple of venues.
File under "even a broken clock is right twice a day".

Little early still for them to be dancing in the end zone though as we've seen for decades now.

But the problem is there will never be another European Tour if sales are as bad as eleven years ago.

Date: April 30, 2018 22:21

slewan
MisterDDDD

Just move into one then !

Posted by: flairville ()
Date: April 30, 2018 22:39

grzegorz67
slewan
MisterDDDD

Correct!!!!!

Date: April 30, 2018 22:52

The bad thing about this is some people will have paid the full high price and possibly be sitting right next to someone that may have paid 1/2 what they did.

But what I have learned about ticket sales lately. And for a lot of the bands I am going to go see.

There are lots of ticket drops over the months before the show.

I no longer get in a hurry unless a small venue and low priced tickets to start off with.

U2 in Tulsa had great seats for less than 1/2 the original price just today.

They only show a hand full of the seats available on Ticketmaster to create some urgency I guess.. and as soon as they sell they release more great seats

But if you watch daily you can usually snag great seats for a nice discounted price.

I did the same for The Eagles. The people around me paid anywhere form $425 to $650 for their seats. I got mine for $200 each and am in the 7th row. Isle seats on the side section. But the isle closest to the center section. Great seats. I just kept watching and then they dropped. And you have to check the price of all the seats because the seats right behind the ones I bought were more than the ones I bought.

Buying tickets now days is just a matter of patience and checking daily.

Also one thing to remember is ticket master will let you upgrade to a seat the same price or more one time. So if you have tickets. Check the venue once in awhile and if better seats are available for the same price. Call them and upgrade. Might be $5 per ticket to do so.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-30 22:54 by jumpontopofmebaby.

Date: April 30, 2018 23:03

slewan
MisterDDDD

I guess it would have made more sense if I clarified that I (almost) never sit.
Try to always be on the field/floor somehow. Even a LD seat, generally finds me standing somewhere else as close as I can get to the stage.. Gotta Move child..

Date: April 30, 2018 23:05

it just does not make sense to have a very small warm up band in the worst selling gig. i just cannot seem to find any logic.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: April 30, 2018 23:16

grzegorz67
slewan
MisterDDDD

no chance – I was thinking of the reserved seating section in front of the GA section in Germany…

Date: April 30, 2018 23:56

PaintMonkeyManBlack
it just does not make sense to have a very small warm up band in the worst selling gig. i just cannot seem to find any logic.

True - never heard of them, but they look like some type of boy band...anybody know anything about them?

Posted by: TornFrayedSue ()
Date: May 1, 2018 00:07

I had no clue, had to google them.....eye rolling smiley

Date: May 1, 2018 00:09

MisterDDDD
slewan
MisterDDDD

I guess it would have made more sense if I clarified that I (almost) never sit.
Try to always be on the field/floor somehow. Even a LD seat, generally finds me standing somewhere else as close as I can get to the stage.. Gotta Move child..

At BtB Paris 1998 at the Stade de France , I had a nosebleed seat. But I went down to Pitch level and strolled onto the Pitch, unquestioned and got a decent spot in GA off to the side, Keith’s side.

Date: May 1, 2018 00:16

Bringing back Mick Taylor would help sell a few more tickets no doubt. Might not fill the void entirely, but definitely a few more than bands like The Academic.

Maybe the strategy for getting the Academic on board was to get some of the young teeny boppers to buy tickets,
but tickets are probably too expensive for most of them and/or their parents won't allow them to attend a Rolling Stones concert filled with grown ups.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6364656667686970717273...LastNext
Current Page: 68 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1860
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home