Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 91
Re: The Rolling Stones No Filter UK/Europe Tour 2018 talks
Posted by: Gaetzi ()
Date: May 1, 2018 19:21

I can't wait for the May 22nd show. Flying in that Friday from Colorado and staying w a childhood friend that is working/ raising his family abroad. It will be my 1st trip to the U.K.

Just looking at a map it does seem like a lot of shows in a fairly small area. Maybe this tour would have been better served in arenas? or maybe just make the tour 7-8 shows? 2 Desert Trips and 2 Vegas shows wasn't touted as a tour but that ended up being just a 3 show affair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-01 19:22 by Gaetzi.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 1, 2018 20:10

Hairball
In addition to the Mick Taylor factor, if it was announced that 95% of the setlist would be songs that have never or rarely been played live, many would decide to go!
Might not please most of the casual fans, but most diehards would be ready and willing. As it stands though, it's the nostalgia factor that sells tickets - how else can the stagnant setlists be explained?

Laziness. They could realistically play three shows in a row of 20-song setlists with not one song duplicated and the recognition factor in the audience would be high for each one.

That, plus the fact that its quite realistic that at this stage in their career some of the band members no longer have the chops to do a wide variety of songs justice. Which, in fairness, is somewhat understandable

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-01 20:11 by Gazza.

Posted by: hilary ()
Date: May 1, 2018 20:29

95% ?? It's seems a lot! I think that Mick said just some old songs...as for No filter 2017

Date: May 1, 2018 21:32

Did anyone receive e tickets for one of the shows already?

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: May 1, 2018 21:38

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Did anyone receive e tickets for one of the shows already?
I have received my e-ticket for Edinburgh.
Had to call and re-arrange shipping details on several orders a couple weeks ago, and the e-ticket for Edinburgh was sent after I got off the phone. Waiting on others.

Date: May 1, 2018 21:39

Gazza
Hairball
In addition to the Mick Taylor factor, if it was announced that 95% of the setlist would be songs that have never or rarely been played live, many would decide to go!
Might not please most of the casual fans, but most diehards would be ready and willing. As it stands though, it's the nostalgia factor that sells tickets - how else can the stagnant setlists be explained?

Laziness. They could realistically play three shows in a row of 20-song setlists with not one song duplicated and the recognition factor in the audience would be high for each one.

That, plus the fact that its quite realistic that at this stage in their career some of the band members no longer have the chops to do a wide variety of songs justice. Which, in fairness, is somewhat understandable

Just do the 2 for 1 please and Mick you will be surprised the response you get from the crowd. Just try it...

She's So Cold and Ruby Tuesday for SFTD.

Rip This Joint and Lets Spend the Night Together for Miss You

Under My Thumb and Street Fighting Man For Rambler.

Ok wrong thread I know but....just think how good it would be!

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 1, 2018 23:14

Gazza wrote (as for the cancelled gig in Ireland, in 1990):

"...I actually think sales would probably have picked up in the end, but it wasn't the last time that the Stones pulled the plug on a gig where early sales weren't as fast as they would have anticipated (Athens 2007, Honolulu 2006 etc)"

For fairness, they didn't schedule Athens gig for 2007. The gig in Athens had been planned for the summer of 2006, but after Keith’s accident it got lost... Until then the sales had been really good, 45,000 - 50,000 tickets aprox.

It could not be faster, in Greece! Because Greeks are usually selling tickets in the last weeks/ days (and, as I see, the particular custom is now branching out due to the high prices and the modern selling strategy!), so the number was strong. In 1998 the Stones played in front of 80,000 people in Athens. Three or even two weeks before concert's night, the tickets sold were 50,000, maybe slightly more. And everybody was sure that the Olympic Stadium would be filled.

Whatever the reason or their decision was, we lost the opportunity to see a third Stones concert in Greece (1967, 1998). And it still hurts, a bit…

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 2, 2018 00:30

yeah, sorry. 2006. Typo on my part (or early dementia). But yeah, it was one of the gigs 'sacrificed' when shows got rescheduled because it was a slow seller. I remember some Greek friends of mine at the time being frustrated at the show being dropped because its a sort of local tradition that people buy tickets there near the time of the gig instead of right away and that they were all confident it would have sold really well in the end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-02 00:31 by Gazza.

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: May 2, 2018 01:41

I think this could be the last "hurrah" for the band, maybe one final US fw gigs, but there is only so many times you can roll out the same show and expect everyone to pay exorbitant ticket prices. Personally I would have been happy to have seen the band finish in Havana, on a high.

Satisfied since 1976

Date: May 2, 2018 03:11

chriseganstar
I think this could be the last "hurrah" for the band, maybe one final US fw gigs, but there is only so many times you can roll out the same show and expect everyone to pay exorbitant ticket prices. Personally I would have been happy to have seen the band finish in Havana, on a high.

Can't really speak to No Filter 1, but the Desert Trip shows were also pretty epic and yet another personal "high" for me. I wouldn't bet on there not being more opportunities to leave on a high.

Posted by: keithsman ()
Date: May 2, 2018 16:21

MisterDDDD
chriseganstar

Can't really speak to No Filter 1, but the Desert Trip shows were also pretty epic and yet another personal "high" for me. I wouldn't bet on there not being more opportunities to leave on a high.

I really do think they will have a few surprises in store for us this time, although they haven't donated much rehearsal time, hope Keith is ready from the B of the bang this time.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 2, 2018 19:34

bye bye johnny
Rolling Stones facing empty seats despite cut-price concert tickets

[image]

Nick Bramhill
April 30 2018

The Rolling Stones’ hopes of playing to a full stadium at Croke Park are starting to fade away after a heavily publicised discounted ticket promotion for their Dublin gig failed to attract fans.

With less than three weeks to go until Mick Jagger and his bandmates arrive in Dublin, it is looking more and more likely that the gig — the biggest on the next leg of the tour — will have a large number of empty seats. Sluggish sales have led to heavy publicising of the Dublin show, with radio and television adverts and ticket giveaways.

This is perhaps one of the side effects of no longer releasing new material and striving to be a "current" act.

Used to be the Rolling Stones still represented the present moment.

The release of a new album was itself cause for widespread media speculation, and you were wondering if it would live up to all the expectation.

Then the big press conference, an event in itself, would ensure that everyone knew that the boys were out on the road again.

But at some point, time stood still for the Rolling Stones.

They stopped being associated with anything present.

Now they are but rusty reminders of yesteryear.

So when Ireland hears that the venerable Stones are planning a gig, it's like a lost great uncle who's dropping by for tea in the garden to tell stories from long ago, ones you've already heard many times.

For many it would be more fun to meet with generational peers for a raucous time down at the pub, laughing and trading gossip of current goings-on, thinking about the things more centered on your day to day.

Because for the Rolling Stones time is standing still.

It was their staying power as recording artists, as an album-generating rock band, that gave them license to become the industry's premiere big concert live act.

But lately it seems they thought they could have one without the other.

Perhaps the Rolling Stones even take themselves for granted.

Posted by: GAFF ()
Date: May 2, 2018 20:51

stonehearted
bye bye johnny

[image]

Nick Bramhill
April 30 2018

The Rolling Stones’ hopes of playing to a full stadium at Croke Park are starting to fade away after a heavily publicised discounted ticket promotion for their Dublin gig failed to attract fans.

With less than three weeks to go until Mick Jagger and his bandmates arrive in Dublin, it is looking more and more likely that the gig — the biggest on the next leg of the tour — will have a large number of empty seats. Sluggish sales have led to heavy publicising of the Dublin show, with radio and television adverts and ticket giveaways.

This is perhaps one of the side effects of no longer releasing new material and striving to be a "current" act.

The release of a new album was itself cause for widespread media speculation, and you were wondering if it would live up to all the expectation.

Then the big press conference, an event in itself, would ensure that everyone knew that the boys were out on the road again.

So when Ireland hears that the venerable Stones are planning a gig, it's like a lost great uncle who's dropping by for tea in the garden to tell stories from long ago, ones you've already heard many times.

For many it would be more fun to meet with generational peers for a raucous time down at the pub, laughing and trading gossip of current goings-on, thinking about the things more centered on your day to day.

It was their staying power as recording artists, as an album-generating rock band, that gave them license to become the industry's premiere big concert live act.

Incredibly well said.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 2, 2018 21:25

GAFF
stonehearted
bye bye johnny

[image]

Nick Bramhill
April 30 2018

Incredibly well said.

Yes, hit the mark right on the head. thumbs up

Posted by: TornFrayedSue ()
Date: May 2, 2018 21:51

GAFF
stonehearted
bye bye johnny

[image]

Nick Bramhill
April 30 2018

Incredibly well said.

Indeed, well said, but I think, regarding the tour and the Dublin gig, there are quite a few factors that lead to this poor selling of tickets. They were no where newer or less yesteryear last fall with the first No Filter tour, and that one sold well. I would asume that timing was bad regarding Dublin with Ed Sheehan playing 3 gigs around the Stones, the stadium is huge, and a more less boy band like The Academic sure does not help. Also, I assume many fans from the UK and Ireland did not imagine a tour in their home country so soon after the first NO Filter tour, and many of them travelled to the European mainland to enjoy the shows there. Some of these were not that overwhelming to, again, spend this amount of money for another show with the same warhorses on the setlist. With ticket prices down to 50% of the current, they would surely sell.
I went to 3 shows last year, and would really not be bothered to see the same show all over again, if I were not a die-hard fan, and Lucky Dipping Dublin, which is a city; I always wanted to discover for many years.
Just my 2 cents winking smiley

Sue in Spain

My coat is torn and frayed, it's seen much better days, but as long as the guitar plays ....

Date: May 3, 2018 01:50

Really folks? The sales for Dublin gig are slow and you come to (or support) the conclusion that “this is perhaps one of the side effects of no longer releasing new material”?

Oh, what an “argument”… Please, remind me about the “new material” that “allowed” the Stones to fill every stadium they played in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017….

Unless you believe that people, who are forming the audiences, woke up a nice morning and thought: «What the hell have I forgot in the last 4-5 years? I forgot to buy new car, I forgot to find new girl friend, and I forgot to look for a better job and… OMG, I forgot to punish the Stones for not having new material…”.

You can criticize (less, more or none) the absence of new material, itself. You can criticize the prices, the number of the gigs they have scheduled in the UK, everything you want. But when you say that the slow sales for Dublin concert are the result of “no longer releasing new material”, then we know the foolery No 2 of the current discussions. Because the foolery No1 does remain irresistible: “Bring back Mick Taylor to increase the sales…”.

It’s so crazy, as the hypothetical claim that many concerts of 2006/2007 sold poorly, and in some cases very poorly for the Stones standards, because the band had new material then (ABB album)…

How childish can some claims be, when fans want to tailor violently the reality to their criticism?

Date: May 3, 2018 02:44

laertisflash
Please, remind me about the “new material” that “allowed” the Stones to fill every stadium they played in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017….

You can criticize (less, more or none) the absence of new material, itself. You can criticize the prices, the number of the gigs they have scheduled in the UK, everything you want. But when you say that the slow sales for Dublin concert are the result of “no longer releasing new material”, then we know the foolery No 2 of the current discussions. Because the foolery No1 does remain irresistible: “Bring back Mick Taylor to increase the sales…”.

How childish can some claims be, when fans want to tailor violently the reality to their criticism?
smileys with beer

Date: May 3, 2018 03:10

laertisflash
You can criticize (less, more or none) the absence of new material, itself. You can criticize the prices, the number of the gigs they have scheduled in the UK, everything you want.

Thanks for granting permission!

Yet you will still defend and argue against everything the Stones have failed at.
And you will resort to a condescending tone when arguing with fellow Stones fans who say anything that goes against your beliefs as if it's nonsensical!
You've already defended the outrageous prices ("flexing prices is a good thing"), but curious as to your reasoning behind the absence of no new material?
You sir are the definition of a hardcore diehard loyal cheerleader - they should hire you as their spokesperson!

PS - Have fun at your upcoming show(s)!
(I'm sure you will enjoy it even if it's the worst show they've ever performed)!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-03 03:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 3, 2018 03:23

relax, Eric.

plexi

Date: May 3, 2018 03:29

timbernardis
relax, Eric.

plexi

Totally relaxed plexi.thumbs up

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 3, 2018 08:52

laertisflash
Really folks? The sales for Dublin gig are slow and you come to (or support) the conclusion that “this is perhaps one of the side effects of no longer releasing new material”?

Oh, what an “argument”… Please, remind me about the “new material” that “allowed” the Stones to fill every stadium they played in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017….

Unless you believe that people, who are forming the audiences, woke up a nice morning and thought: «What the hell have I forgot in the last 4-5 years? I forgot to buy new car, I forgot to find new girl friend, and I forgot to look for a better job and… OMG, I forgot to punish the Stones for not having new material…”.

It’s so crazy, as the hypothetical claim that many concerts of 2006/2007 sold poorly, and in some cases very poorly for the Stones standards, because the band had new material then (ABB album)…

They played only one "new" song in 2007, Rough Justice, except Oh, No Not You Again in Brno. Plus Streets Of Love somewhere once. In Madrid no ABB song at all. The fact that they play several new songs or not has absolutely nothing to do with the commercial success of a show. There wouldn't be more people in the audience if they would play even more warhorses (which is almost impossible meanwhile), but there wouldn't be more ticket sales as well if they would play rather obscure setlists. It's all about ticket prices, oeconomical power and demand in the particular region.

They played more in 2006, but often only three. The only show worldwide with five ABB songs was Vienna.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-03 13:32 by Monsoon Ragoon.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: May 3, 2018 09:06

they also played Infamy at some shows.

plexi

Date: May 3, 2018 10:31

Bad news is the sales for Dublin seem to be bad by the signs of it.

Weird news is the opening band wich will not push sales

Good news is there are no real clues the other shows are selling bad

Date: May 3, 2018 12:40

Hairbail, maybe you’re a bit confused. Perhaps your anger is the reason.

Because, Hairball, I’m not the guy who wrote “flexing prices is a good thing”. Just check it, if you want. I’m the guy who wrote (more than one time) that the “modern” selling strategy, with the annoying high prices (and partly reduced, later) is unfair, even it’s an effective one, as it brings packed venues and increased profits, at the same time. For the time being.

I used the particular words, “annoying” and “unfair”, but it seems like a kind of Inquisition want to interrogate me, until I confess: “Yes, I accept it… Saying the Stones are not doing perfectly everything, is not enough for save my sinful, cheerleader soul. Now I confess, everything the Stones are doing is horribly wrong. E-ve-ry- thing… Please, acquit me…”

“Yet you will still defend and argue against everything the Stones have failed at…” I don’t know what do you mean. I just said, the absence of new material is not a factor that can make Stones concerts less attractive. Because the Stones filled every stadium they played since 2014, without new material. Simple as that.

Do you disagree? Fine? Do you have an observation/argument against my observation/argument? Fine, say it and we can discuss. But your “argument” is that the Stones “should hire me as their spokesperson!”. Oh, how persuasive…

As for my tone, I never insult persons (as others here…). I only criticize opinions and at the same time I’m ready to see my opinions being criticized by others. If you consider as “condescending tone” the characterization “childish claim”, on a board where sometimes we see stuff like “bullshit”, “that’s ridiculous”, “do you have other silly questions?”, then I think you exaggerate a bit.

I hope you're totally relaxed, now...

Date: May 3, 2018 13:00

"...Good news is there are no real clues the other shows are selling bad"

PaintMonkeyManBlack, I think Dublin is a "touch game" for the reasons mentioned by Gazza. And, as for the prices, I suppose we have to consider that Ireland is among the countries which lived a painful financial crisis, in the last years. Since 2010-11, i think. Maybe not as painful, as the crisis had been (and still is) in other countries, like Greece, but for sure painful enough...

By the way, if the Stones were willing to organize a kind of "NO EXPENSIVE TOUR", charging lower bails from the promoters, then they could easily fill another 12- 14 stadiums in South and East Europe. Let's say, in cities like Porto (last time they played there was in 2006), Athens (1998) or Thessaloniki (in the second case it would be a concert for a mix- Balcan audience), Naples, Zagreb, etc. Just saying...

Date: May 3, 2018 13:43

Yes but still it just does not make sense.

A. No big supports
B. They could have had an exit opportunity when they sold tickets without a licence. That was a golden opportunity to cancel the gig without any questions about ticket sales.

OR the sales are just not as bad as we assume

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: May 3, 2018 13:58

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Yes but still it just does not make sense.

A. No big supports
B. They could have had an exit opportunity when they sold tickets without a licence. That was a golden opportunity to cancel the gig without any questions about ticket sales.

OR the sales are just not as bad as we assume

The problem is that wo don't know much about the ticket sales. We can see that there are at least 4699 tickets available for the Dublin gig on Ticketmaster. That could mean that these tickets are the only tickets left but I would doubt that very much. But on the other site I doubt that they only sold 50% of the tickets because they don't reduce prices and I don't think they sold many extra LD tickets because when the mail from rs.com got out they were gone within a few hours. Even in Germany they reduced prices although there are not that many seats left. IT could be that Cardiff or Edinburgh are selling much worse than Dublin. We don't know anything and the press is only guessing too (see the article with the LD tickets)

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: May 3, 2018 14:32

laertisflash
"...Good news is there are no real clues the other shows are selling bad"

PaintMonkeyManBlack, I think Dublin is a "touch game" for the reasons mentioned by Gazza. And, as for the prices, I suppose we have to consider that Ireland is among the countries which lived a painful financial crisis, in the last years. Since 2010-11, i think. Maybe not as painful, as the crisis had been (and still is) in other countries, like Greece, but for sure painful enough...

By the way, if the Stones were willing to organize a kind of "NO EXPENSIVE TOUR", charging lower bails from the promoters, then they could easily fill another 12- 14 stadiums in South and East Europe. Let's say, in cities like Porto (last time they played there was in 2006), Athens (1998) or Thessaloniki (in the second case it would be a concert for a mix- Balcan audience), Naples, Zagreb, etc. Just saying...

The bargain tours are over. Now they do finally two East Europe shows (with a four years delay), but only in the two richest/biggest East European countries. The "Yugoslavian" show was in Spielberg. There are no chances anymore even for Southern Italy and East Germany (apart from Berlin). They don't wanna make the millions of "poor" fans happy, all they want is as much money as possible from the high-profile "fans".

Date: May 3, 2018 14:57

when i log in my axs account i can see my first tickets are numbered 13.000 and 13.001. A week later i buyed 2 other tickets and are numbered 25.000 and 25.001

could this mean there where 25k tickets sold on that date ?

Posted by: chriseganstar ()
Date: May 3, 2018 18:55

At the end of the day, when the lights go down,they walk on stage and start, I couldn't care less how many people are there. We'll all have a great time !

Satisfied since 1976

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6566676869707172737475...LastNext
Current Page: 70 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1522
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home