Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 91
Re: Southampton and Coventry England Stones shows to be announced soon
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 10, 2018 14:13

syrel
bengigan

I'm an out of towner and doing the whole tour so wondering if you can give me some insight. There's 8 UK dates in exactly 1 month, starting and ending in London. Is it ideal to rent a car or camper for the month? Is that common? I have one person I'm travelling the whole of UK with, possibly 1-2 more.

Looking for some tips on the most economical way to approach it, thanks!

Renting a camper always seems really expensive to me (I would guess £600 a week, but I could be way out). You can get decent but not glamorous accommodation for about £40 a night in most places (except Dublin, London and Edinburgh).

I'm a big fan of rail travel, but it's slower and not necessarily cheaper than budget flights, so it depends on your preferences. Also, the rail booking system in UK is completely insane. You need to book well in advance (but not too far! About 11 weeks is right) to get the cheapest tickets. Rail tickets suitable for 22nd/25th May have just gone on sale now, so it will be a case of buying them all one by one as they come on sale. Only buy tickets called 'Advance' not 'Off peak' or 'Anytime' (unless you are really desperate). More info about the UK rail system can be found here:
[www.seat61.com]

A cheaper alternative is National Express Coaches. You can pick up some good tickets for £5 or so, but I wouldn't want to do a bus journey of more than 3 hours or so (Megabus is even cheaper, but the standard is much worse).

If it were me:
Dublin to London - £42 by ferry and train [www.seat61.com]
London to Southampton - an easy train or coach (would guess about £15 or so)
Southampton to Coventry - slightly more awkward as will need to travel back into London and out again.But London to Coventry is very easy and should cost no more than £12 or so.
Coventry to Manchester - dead easy by train; again I would guess £10-15 range.
Manchester to Edinburgh and Edinburgh to Cardiff will be the hardest to get cheaper tickets for, but possible. Look into 'split ticketing' on the UK trains link above.
Cardiff to London, simple.
London to Berlin, sometimes possible to get £60 sparpreis tickets. [www.seat61.com]

That should give you something to work with at least

syrel

Good information but I’d like to add that it’s actually very easy to get cheap train tickets from Manchester ro Edinburgh. Try Virgin Trains. With a change at Preston or Lancaster, you can book far in advance for about £13. If you can’r Get a cheap fare from Manchester to Edinburgh then get one from Manchester to Glasgow and travel by train or bus from Glasgow fo Edinburgh is fast, frequent and cheap.

Split ticketing is a good shout for Edinburgh to Cardiff. Try booking one journey from Edinburgh to Birmingham (£17 far in advance) then another from Birmingham to Cardiff. Alternatively Birmingham ro Bristol snd get a local turn up and go fare from Bristol to Cardiff.

Posted by: nobodyimportant ()
Date: March 10, 2018 14:20

slewan
nobodyimportant
The problem with using the trains is often that you can't get back after the show. Late night public transport is very poor in the UK.

right, but there are special coaches after the UK shows, even advertised on [www.rollingstones.com]

Depends where you live, but I was speaking generally. My nearest rail station is Didcot. The only city I can get home from by train after a gig is London (and that's iffy on a Saturday as the last train is 2330). Birmingham, Coventry, Bristol, Cardiff are all out as no late trains, even if I get the train from Oxford or Reading.

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: March 10, 2018 15:15

grzegorz67
syrel
bengigan

I'm an out of towner and doing the whole tour so wondering if you can give me some insight. There's 8 UK dates in exactly 1 month, starting and ending in London. Is it ideal to rent a car or camper for the month? Is that common? I have one person I'm travelling the whole of UK with, possibly 1-2 more.

Renting a camper always seems really expensive to me (I would guess £600 a week, but I could be way out). You can get decent but not glamorous accommodation for about £40 a night in most places (except Dublin, London and Edinburgh).

I'm a big fan of rail travel, but it's slower and not necessarily cheaper than budget flights, so it depends on your preferences. Also, the rail booking system in UK is completely insane. You need to book well in advance (but not too far! About 11 weeks is right) to get the cheapest tickets. Rail tickets suitable for 22nd/25th May have just gone on sale now, so it will be a case of buying them all one by one as they come on sale. Only buy tickets called 'Advance' not 'Off peak' or 'Anytime' (unless you are really desperate). More info about the UK rail system can be found here:
[www.seat61.com]

A cheaper alternative is National Express Coaches. You can pick up some good tickets for £5 or so, but I wouldn't want to do a bus journey of more than 3 hours or so (Megabus is even cheaper, but the standard is much worse).

If it were me:
Southampton to Coventry - slightly more awkward as will need to travel back into London and out again.But London to Coventry is very easy and should cost no more than £12 or so.
Manchester to Edinburgh and Edinburgh to Cardiff will be the hardest to get cheaper tickets for, but possible. Look into 'split ticketing' on the UK trains link above.
London to Berlin, sometimes possible to get £60 sparpreis tickets. [www.seat61.com]

syrel

Good information but I’d like to add that it’s actually very easy to get cheap train tickets from Manchester ro Edinburgh. Try Virgin Trains. With a change at Preston or Lancaster, you can book far in advance for about £13. If you can’r Get a cheap fare from Manchester to Edinburgh then get one from Manchester to Glasgow and travel by train or bus from Glasgow fo Edinburgh is fast, frequent and cheap.

Split ticketing is a good shout for Edinburgh to Cardiff. Try booking one journey from Edinburgh to Birmingham (£17 far in advance) then another from Birmingham to Cardiff. Alternatively Birmingham ro Bristol snd get a local turn up and go fare from Bristol to Cardiff.

Actually, that reminded me - Transpenine express is probably good for Manchester to Edinburgh. You can do Manchester to Lockerbie for £8 and Lockerbie to Edinburgh for £8 as well.

For Cardiff - Edinburgh, in my experience (travelling often from Bristol), the best split ticketing station is Wolverhampton.

syrel

Re: The Rolling Stones No Filter UK/Europe Tour 2018 talks
Posted by: Healy52003 ()
Date: March 10, 2018 16:01

find something new out everyday

always thought isle of Wight was located up near Scotland not down by Southampton

Date: March 10, 2018 16:40

Healy52003

always thought isle of Wight was located up near Scotland not down by Southampton

Oh My God they've moved it!!grinning smiley

Posted by: 35love ()
Date: March 10, 2018 17:11

Sorry, delete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-10 17:13 by 35love.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: March 10, 2018 17:43

syrel
Healy52003

I did have a chuckle when I read Healy comment
Mabey you got confused with the isle of sky.
Mind you I've just relized I've got my map of the uk pinned to the wall upside down..haha

Date: March 11, 2018 01:28

terry
syrel
Healy52003

I did have a chuckle when I read Healy comment
Mabey you got confused with the isle of sky.
Mind you I've just relized I've got my map of the uk pinned to the wall upside down..haha

Ireland 6 nations champs today and were going for the GS in Twic stadium on paddys day. yesss

No nothing about UK geography

Posted by: kevos ()
Date: March 11, 2018 03:47

grzegorz67
syrel
bengigan

[www.seat61.com]

If it were me:

syrel

I say camper van. Even f it does cost a little more (hell look at what we are paying for tickets) it will likely be the last proper UK Tour and you would have so much fun with your mate. The ultimate road trip !!! Life is for Living

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: March 11, 2018 14:31

Quick question on tipping etiquette in the UK vs the US for those that know.
Typical restaurant tipping here is about 20% (at times added automatically to the bill) dependent on service, similar there? Thanks in advance.

Date: March 11, 2018 15:12

MisterDDDD
Typical restaurant tipping here is about 20% (at times added automatically to the bill) dependent on service, similar there? Thanks in advance.

MUCH less compulsory than in North America (and no need to tip bar staff), but 12-15% is standard in restaurants.

syrel

Date: March 11, 2018 16:50

syrel
MUCH less compulsory than in North America (and no need to tip bar staff), but 12-15% is standard in restaurants.

syrel
thumbs up Thanks.
Now, just need to work on figuring out/identifying the currency winking smiley

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 11, 2018 20:51

MisterDDDD
syrel

syrel
thumbs up Thanks.
Now, just need to work on figuring out/identifying the currency winking smiley

It’s easy. Only remember this:

2 farthings = 1 halfpenny
2 halfpence = 1 penny (1d)
3 pence = 1 thruppence (3d)
6 pence = 1 sixpence (a 'tanner') (6d)
12 pence = 1 shilling (a bob) (1s)
2 shillings = 1 florin ( a 'two bob bit') (2s)
2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (2s 6d)
5 shillings = 1 Crown (5s)

and you’ll be fine.

Posted by: ycagwywpmd ()
Date: March 11, 2018 21:01

Don't be so mean BowieStone!

Date: March 11, 2018 21:06

thumbs up winking smiley
Got it. Thanks!!
Will print and carry for reference.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: March 11, 2018 21:07

MisterDDDD

Don't feel obliged to tip unless you really think the experience has been something special. They all get paid and don't work for tips. Same with bar staff

Date: March 11, 2018 23:44

so didn't receive any code for the last 2 pre sales ??

I'll be pissed if I don't get a Dublin code

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: March 12, 2018 00:10

Healy52003

Sign-up here: [www.RollingStones.com] - and check the Confirmation-eMail.

Code for Prague was: SHATTERED / Code for Marseille is: SYMPATHY .

Posted by: TE ()
Date: March 12, 2018 09:40

Healy52003

I'll be pissed if I don't get a Dublin code

All e-mails comes from do_not_reply@inbound.vice-versa.info.
Add that one to safe senders.

TE
Oslo

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 12, 2018 09:57

So in case anyone is keeping tabs, no one saw any PIT A/B offered as part of the Marseille presale, not much of a surprise since it's the same promoter as for the Paris 2017 shows and PITs only appeared during very late drops.

Here's the map of the venue, quite a bit different than the other 2017/2018 shows :

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 12, 2018 10:06

Maybe the different/bigger layout for the pit is a factor in the comparatively lower price.

Date: March 12, 2018 10:07

It looks they have combined the No Filter pit with the 'diamond pit' that is in place at one Prague/Warsaw (can't remember which).

syrel

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: March 12, 2018 10:12

Yes, that would be Warsaw.

GC is indeed 47% of the price of the UK GC so it can be a little bigger ! Can still be pretty decent if you arrive early ;-) Anyway there's nothing better for now (if you discount the €825 PIT A/B packages available on the Vente-Privée site). And that's not likely to change until possible last minute PIT drops like for Paris 2017.

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Posted by: kevos ()
Date: March 12, 2018 13:35

MisterDDDD

Not obligatory. So just tip if BOTH the food and service was worth it. Avoid chain restaurants if you can as they are all pretty rubbish and give British food a really bad name.
Also many of the chains have a system where tips are not shared with kitchen staff so someone who carries plates gets paid more than the people working like dogs in a hot kitchen all night.

Posted by: slewan ()
Date: March 12, 2018 13:40

kevos
MisterDDDD

Not obligatory. So just tip if BOTH the food and service was worth it. Avoid chain restaurants if you can as they are all pretty rubbish and give British food a really bad name.
Also many of the chains have a system where tips are not shared with kitchen staff so someone who carries plates gets paid more than the people working like dogs in a hot kitchen all night.

By the way: British food is really great! Anytime I visit the UK I live on Indian currys, great chinese food, vietnamese cuisine, interesting japanease dishes, indonesian food etc…

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 12, 2018 14:16

slewan

By the way: British food is really great! Anytime I visit the UK I live on Indian currys, great chinese food, vietnamese cuisine, interesting japanease dishes, indonesian food etc…

Indian, Chinese and fish and chips are probably the three biggest takeaway options nationwide. Dining-in wise, Thai is now quite popular; Vietnamese, Japanese and Indonesian, less so. Perhaps there are places in london, however.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 12, 2018 14:21

Will there be pre-sales for Coventry?

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: March 12, 2018 14:37

Silver Dagger

yeah, also probably march 14..
Jeroen

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 15:11 by corriecas.

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: March 12, 2018 14:54

corriecas
Silver Dagger

yeah, also probably match 14..
Jeroen

Hopefully the official announcement today.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: March 12, 2018 14:56

odean73
corriecas
Silver Dagger

yeah, also probably match 14..
Jeroen

Hopefully the official announcement today.

Still nothing official odeon?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4546474849505152535455...LastNext
Current Page: 50 of 91

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2023
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home