Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Same band, same song, 2 opposite versions
Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: January 26, 2018 11:13

Bob Marley - Redemption Song!

Posted by: ab ()
Date: January 27, 2018 12:19

Nick Cave on Murder Ballads - Henry Lee (slow) and The Curse of Milhaven (fast) have the same melody at different tempos.

Bruce Springsteen rearranged several songs from Nebraska onstage, notably Atlantic City, Johnny 99, and Open All Night.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-27 13:15 by ab.

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: January 27, 2018 17:01

The Rolling Stones

Everybody Needs Somebody To Love The Rolling Stones No. 2
Everybody Needs Somebody To Love The Rolling Stones Now!

The longer, slower version which features a rather plodding, careful, deliberate build-up of instruments (as if the band is rehearsing the song) was issued on the UK album The Rolling Stones No. 2 and was never issued in the USA until it appeared as a bonus track on the More Hot Rocks CD. It also has the dubious distinction of being the only track from the Decca years to have been issued in stereo on vinyl but never in stereo on CD. In the Stones canon, this version has always been called 'the official version'.

The other version is faster, punchier, a shorter take, and sounds very well rehearsed. This was only released on the US album The Rolling Stones Now!. It has only been issued in mono and has always been referred to as 'the rehearsal version'.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 27, 2018 19:44

The Cult's Wild Flower and Rock'N'Roll Singer.

Oh wait. That's AC/DC.

Alright well so The Cult recorded an album in 1986 and then did most of the songs over again with Rick Rubin. But that's probably a bit much for what this thread means.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: January 28, 2018 04:07

HomerSimpson
What about Time is on my Side?

From Wikipedia "The Rolling Stones recorded two versions of the song in 1964. The first version (a looser arrangement featuring a briefer, organ-only intro), recorded in London in June 1964, was released in the US in 1964, as a single from their album 12 X 5. The second version (more tightly arranged and featuring guitar in the intro), recorded in Chicago on November 8, 1964, was released in the UK on January 15, 1965 on The Rolling Stones No. 2. This is the version that receives airplay and appears on most "best of" compilations"

Yes, my original vinyl release of HOT ROCKS has the guitar into version. A later pressing.."Digitally Remastered From Original Master Recording, 100% Virgin Vinyl" uses the organ intro version. Kinda pissed me off..

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: January 28, 2018 05:17

GasLightStreet
She's So Cold. No matter when they've played it live, they destroy it.

IMHO this song sucks no matter what version. It always sounded to me like a Song a B rated group would record.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: January 28, 2018 05:22

TooTough
studio Out Of Control
live different arrangement with trumpet intermezzo, which I really like, esp. in 1997/1998

Absolutely agree. St. Louis 97 pay per view version is my all time favorite.

Also, Hot Stuff from Love you Live so much better than Studio.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-28 05:26 by virgil.

Posted by: tommycharles ()
Date: January 28, 2018 07:28

LeonidP
Paul McCartney - Coming Up, Live
Paul McCartney - Coming Up

I don't recall the circumstance of why I knew the live version first, I think it was a b-side, but I loved it ... then I heard the studio version and it sounds so lame compared to the live version.

The 2013 Radio 2 version, with the Peter Gunn theme in the middle, is my favorite. There have been other released versions with that riff (Letterman ‘09), but no others with the “on the hour” lyric from the ‘79 live version. It’s a little thing, but it makes the song better.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 28, 2018 11:57

Time Is On My Side live in 1981 is a world of difference to the version(s) recorded in 1964, or even played live that year... then again, it wasn't exactly the same band, was it?

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: January 28, 2018 13:08

Everything Bob Dylan plays live.
Slow train , original vs trouble no more disc 1 vs trouble no more disc 2 vs Dylan and the Dead

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 28, 2018 20:15

Todd Rundgren - Hello It's Me
and a vastly different earlier version w/ his band:
Nazz - Hello It's Me

Date: January 28, 2018 20:28

virgil
GasLightStreet
She's So Cold. No matter when they've played it live, they destroy it.

IMHO this song sucks no matter what version. It always sounded to me like a Song a B rated group would record.

OK. But can you at least tell that when they play it live it is absolutely nothing like the LP version? It doesn't even cross their mind to play it with any attention to detail.

Imagine if they played Start Me Up as just strumming along instead of, duh, the riff.

THAT is the problem with how they play She's So Cold live.

Date: January 28, 2018 20:29

KeithNacho
Everything Bob Dylan plays live.
Slow train , original vs trouble no more disc 1 vs trouble no more disc 2 vs Dylan and the Dead

DISQUALIFIED! TOO MANY DIFFERENT VERSIONS!

Date: January 28, 2018 20:29

stonehearted
Time Is On My Side live in 1981 is a world of difference to the version(s) recorded in 1964, or even played live that year... then again, it wasn't exactly the same band, was it?

You're spot on with that one - and the 1981/82 version is killer.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: January 29, 2018 04:32

GasLightStreet
stonehearted

You're spot on with that one - and the 1981/82 version is killer.

Keith - Time Is On My Side live versions aren't too shabby either, check out the nice Palladium version!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1983
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home