Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Don Was interview - WTF With Marc Maron
Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: January 25, 2018 13:52

Bass player and record producer Don Was is a Renaissance man in the music world. Whether he's producing albums for bands like the Rolling Stones or running the jazz label Blue Note Records or playing in his own band Was (Not Was) or directing documentaries about fellow musicians like Brian Wilson, Don always knows what he's doing. As he tells Marc, Don attributes a lot of his expertise to growing up in Detroit just as a pivotal shift in the American music scene was happening in the Motor City.

[www.wtfpod.com]

Re: Don Was interview - WTF With Marc Maron
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 26, 2018 00:03

Thanks. Hope to listen tonight. I likewise think Don gets unfair criticism for Mick and Keith's failings. He really doesn't behave like a "yes-man" even if one doesn't like his productions. Each set of sessions he's done with the band have turned out very different in sound from the others. He's made two small masterpieces for that era. I'm pleased he's still working with them.

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: January 26, 2018 00:21

the band has certainly been loyal to him for a very long time.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: January 26, 2018 06:45

Well worth hearing. Interesting to hear his thoughts about producing Dylan and how honest he is about what he did wrong. I enjoyed his stories about growing up in Detroit and seeing The Parliaments and The Stooges play his high school. Funny, interesting, and more relaxed than he usually appears on camera.

His remarks about the Blue Note reissues was right on the money. Interesting story about the Virgin remasters. Without saying anything, one presumes he isn't a fan of the UME remasters since he's a fan of Bob Ludwig's work in preserving the original masters.

It's 72 minutes in before he really talks Stones for those only interested in his stories about producing the Stones. Very funny Super Bowl story. Don was hired to press mute on Mick's mike during "Rough Justice" and "Start Me Up" or else they were fined $5 million by the FCC.

He's extremely complimentary about the band, but also very cautious not to say anything imprudent.

Thanks again for the link.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: January 26, 2018 09:36

It was funny when Marc Maron told Keith at the start of their interview that he was going to smoke his first cigarette in ten years because Keith was there. Keith was chary about it and told Maron not to. But their colloquy continued until you could hear Keith flick his lighter. After lighting Maron's cigarette, Keith said, "I'm a bad influence!"

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 28, 2018 18:11

I thought it was a good interview... ha..........ha.......ha

tbh I didn't know much at all about him. Some interesting stuff and he seems like a cool dude.

Date: January 28, 2018 18:12

Title5Take1
It was funny when Marc Maron told Keith at the start of their interview that he was going to smoke his first cigarette in ten years because Keith was there. Keith was chary about it and told Maron not to. But their colloquy continued until you could hear Keith flick his lighter. After lighting Maron's cigarette, Keith said, "I'm a bad influence!"

I like to think that if I somehow was able to sit down and hang out with Keith I wouldn't to the same, but I don't know though.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: January 28, 2018 18:19

Don Was was describing Bonnie Raitt as a person and Maron's response is "She's a blues legend"!!??

What does that have to do with how someone is? AUGGGHHHH!!!!

Date: January 28, 2018 18:28

Yeah, I noticed that comment was a little bit off. I see Maron's show is totally conversation-based, and in conversation some times you won't say quite the right thing. But if you take the interviews as a whole I think he gets to what matters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-28 18:35 by ryanpow.

Date: January 28, 2018 18:29

I remember reading about how they did the Virgin remasters to make the CDs sound like the original vinyl issues and how they figured out that just putting the master on CD doesn't translate.

Which, at the time, was not a known thing!

Date: January 28, 2018 18:32

Marc Maron has a bad habit - he interrupts too much. And he doesn't listen very well.

Is he some kind of old 'Hey, wow, mannnnn' hippy DJ?

Date: January 28, 2018 19:04

Lol I don't think so. I've noticed sometimes when the other person usctalking he'll keep saying "yeah...yeah...yeah" I don't think its annoying though. Its endearing.

Date: January 28, 2018 20:37

ryanpow
Lol I don't think so. I've noticed sometimes when the other person usctalking he'll keep saying "yeah...yeah...yeah" I don't think its annoying though. Its endearing.

Well, one time was enough for me to hear that rambling hippy. He's an old 'Like, you know' person. Annoying.

Overall a cool interview but there were times when it sounded like Was was just being as patient as possible with the kid, I mean guy.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 29, 2018 05:56

ryanpow
Title5Take1

I like to think that if I somehow was able to sit down and hang out with Keith I wouldn't to the same, but I don't know though.

I've thought about this quite a bit, like you, not decided.

Will listen to the "Was" interview soon. Love Maron. I'd give him another chance, GLS.
You might like him better interviewing comedians.

~"Love is Strong"~

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2147
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home