Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Serious Charlie Watts biography
Posted by: Shott ()
Date: December 9, 2017 23:51

Someone please write it.

Re: Serious Charlie Watts biography
Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: December 10, 2017 00:01

Haha. I wonder what Charlie would think of this idea? He would be so excited to
sit down for a series of extensive interviews! All joking aside - the book would
be an interesting read.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: December 10, 2017 00:17

Leather bound .... stylish ... class

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Leonioid ()
Date: December 10, 2017 00:29

I'd settle for the picture of the expression Charlie makes when someone asks him to write a biography...
Id frame it and put it on the wall... alongside the "drawings he made of every hotel room he ever stayed at"(sic)...

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 10, 2017 01:09

The book would have to include the full text of the interview with Charlie, which would amount to “What?” and “I have absolutely no idea!” and “Why would anyone be interested in that?” Also, pictures of him in his cars, wearing matching suits. But I would dearly love this to read it anyway! (Maybe he’d spill to Charlotte...she could write it! Seems to adore her Gramps!)

Posted by: wonderboy ()
Date: December 10, 2017 01:40

It could be fascinating in the hands of the right author.
Charlie has been there for all of it -- Brian Jones, Altamont, the south of France, the albums, the tours, World War 3, Mick Taylor and Ronnie Wood, etc.
Plus I have a feeling there is a lot more to him than what he has revealed over the years. A man who can get along with both Mick and Keith is interesting just in itself. I have a feeling he is a quirky, complicated man.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: December 11, 2017 04:22

It would be a great read if done properly but I think Charlie is simply to modest and too private to go for it. I'd love to hear about his American Civil War collections and car collections, etc...as well as the music.

Does anyone remember the "A Day in the Life insert city here"? I always thought a "A Day in the Life of the Rolling Stones" would be great. At least four books perhaps, one for Keith, Mick, Ronnie, and Charlie....with photags following them around for one day documenting their daily life at home. Keith and Ronnie might go for it, but I think Mick and Charlie are just to private.....Perhaps a book documenting a day in the life on tour...photos of the band, their family and friends, Backline crew, and others just showing a day on the road.

Would make a great coffee table book, me thinks.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents or pence or whatever.

Posted by: Shott ()
Date: December 11, 2017 06:35

would be cool if it went deep on his drumming style/influences. And he did have a period of heroin addiction.

Posted by: Monsoon Ragoon ()
Date: December 11, 2017 08:02

I've never seen a biography about CRW at all. I don't know why, never thought about.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: December 11, 2017 09:38

Date: December 11, 2017 10:18

«The silent Stone»... Hm, that was Bill, wasn't it? smoking smiley

Posted by: syrel ()
Date: December 11, 2017 11:21

Given Clayson's other work, I'd be surprised if that book was particularly insightful. I've often daydreamed about writing a proper Charlie bio, but would need to have his full co-operation to be worthwhile and that ain't gonna happen.

STG - if it did, though, "I have absolutely no idea" would be the perfect title.

syrel

Date: December 11, 2017 11:28

syrel
Given Clayson's other work, I'd be surprised if that book was particularly insightful. I've often daydreamed about writing a proper Charlie bio, but would need to have his full co-operation to be worthwhile and that ain't gonna happen.

STG - if it did, though, "I have absolutely no idea" would be the perfect title.

syrel

Good title indeed, but «20 Years Of...» would also be one to be considered smiling smiley

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: December 11, 2017 15:50

In 1996 Charlie Watts said: "I hope we do not end up writing our mémoires." 20 years later we have books by the Stones and autobiographies by Richards and Wood I assume Charie Watts wants to keep his privacy and there are no infamous scandals surrounding him which would attract lots of readers.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 11, 2017 16:43

What could be interesting is an extended magazine piece of maybe Wyman and Watts being interviewed together. Remember those two were thick as thieves, and remain close friends.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: December 11, 2017 16:44

24FPS
What could be interesting is an extended magazine piece of maybe Wyman and Watts being interviewed together. Remember those two were thick as thieves, and remain close friends.

^^

yesss..

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 11, 2017 19:13

I suspect that if a Publisher out there believes there is money to be made a biography will come out at some point.
Probably after Charlie has died. Hopefully with a degree of support from his family.
By the way, what has happened to Bill's rumoured Diaries book? Perhaps the lawyers got twitchy?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: December 11, 2017 21:12

windmelody
In 1996 Charlie Watts said: "I hope we do not end up writing our mémoires." 20 years later we have books by the Stones and autobiographies by Richards and Wood I assume Charie Watts wants to keep his privacy and there are no infamous scandals surrounding him which would attract lots of readers.

True, but I think the big problem is that it is not the personal life of Charlie Watts that attracts lots of readers but the unique perspective he has for the people he has been surrounded about all of his adult life - that of Mick & Keith... Charlie surely knows ehat is about the Stones people are interested in.. But that's something Charlie will never talk about either.

But one thing - among many others - that amazes me in Charles Watts is how he knows the songs so well - no matter which song it is, he always seem to know what to do, sounding very professional and sure. For a guy who claims never listened to their songs or that type of music I find that odd... He seems to very quick to adapt to the things, if it just a question of giving a quick listening and then rehearsing a song once or twice. Or he has an incredible 'muscle memory'. (Just listened the other day them doing "Worried About You" live, and Charlie's perfect synch with Jagger was just mind-blowing and he always knew what to do.)

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-11 21:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: December 12, 2017 00:31

I bought and read the Alan Clayson book when it was released.
Clayson wrote also a book about Jagger, Richards and Jones.
All books were basicaly the same, he just added something about Jagger in the book about Mick and that he did with all the other books too.
Very lazy writing, a lot about music influences, in his book about Charlie jazz and blues, that goes on and on for pages and pages, but almost nothing about Charlie himself.
It's also very, very boring written and hard to read, so don't buy it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-12 00:33 by GJV.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: December 12, 2017 06:03

jlowe
By the way, what has happened to Bill's rumoured Diaries book? Perhaps the lawyers got twitchy?

Might have been waylayed whilst he battled cancer. Radiation and chemo can sapped your brain energy.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 12, 2017 12:58

It should be called “Serious? Charlie?”

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: December 12, 2017 13:16

Wot? About those 10 years of work & 40 years of just hanging around? Really?

Date: December 12, 2017 13:39

This interview should be attached in the book! grinning smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2205
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home