Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4950515253545556575859
Current Page: 59 of 59
Re: OT: Eric Clapton stuff
Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: May 16, 2024 02:55

Is that really a Palestine flag guitar? That’s fairly divisive! And I’ll say no more on the matter. I’m going to see him on Saturday.

Posted by: RisingStone ()
Date: May 16, 2024 03:51

vertigojoe
Is that really a Palestine flag guitar? That’s fairly divisive! And I’ll say no more on the matter. I’m going to see him on Saturday.

Yes it is. And extremely divisive.
As you say, we’d better leave that matter here as it would be unavoidably political.

You are going to the Co-op Live in Manchester, the brand new arena that was troubled with a problematic start. Hope everything will be alright and you will enjoy the show.

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: May 16, 2024 09:16

keefriffhards
He will sing for his supper until the day he dies. That generation including the Stones are made that way.

HA.

Date: May 16, 2024 10:52

Thanks Rising! A week or so ago i had reconciled to the fact it wouldn’t be going ahead but here we are!

RisingStone
vertigojoe

Yes it is. And extremely divisive.
As you say, we’d better leave that matter here as it would be unavoidably political.

You are going to the Co-op Live in Manchester, the brand new arena that was troubled with a problematic start. Hope everything will be alright and you will enjoy the show.

Date: May 19, 2024 03:22

Dear Eric.

So tonight you decided to use the Palestine guitar for 80% of the set. And I know we aren’t supposed to talk about politics here but I’d just like to ask how the hell do you think that made any of your fans there tonight who may be Jewish feel?

For the record I’m not a Jew.

If you’re trying to appeal to the lefties, forget it as they haven’t and will never forgive you for the “Enoch was right” speech from the 1970’s.

If you’re trying to appeal to the Muslims forget it there aren’t any in your audience and besides, Music is Haram and they would execute you for playing.

Luxury beliefs from the Surrey stock broker belt.

Your voice tonight was abysmal. Guitar playing average. Overshadowed by the other guitarist who played an upside down left handed guitar and produced far more interesting sounds than anything emitting from your rather dubious Stratocaster.
Time to hang it up Slowhand.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 19, 2024 03:41

vertigojoe

Your voice tonight was abysmal. Guitar playing average. Overshadowed by the other guitarist who played an upside down left handed guitar and produced far more interesting sounds than anything emitting from your rather dubious Stratocaster.

Actually his guitar is just strong backwards and not upside down. And his name is Doyle Bramhall III. If you knew anything about guitars or guitarist you would have known this. I wonder what you think of Keith?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-19 06:58 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: May 19, 2024 03:44

I know a lot about guitars. I’ve played for nearly 40 years.
I love Keith but he can’t play anymore. Anyway congratulations for spectacularly missing the point of the post.

Date: May 19, 2024 03:48

What’s the difference between backwards and upside down? You’ve lost me there. Ok I should said he played a regular right handed guitar left handed. Many apologies.

Date: May 19, 2024 05:57

vertigojoe
Dear Eric.

So tonight you decided to use the Palestine guitar for 80% of the set. And I know we aren’t supposed to talk about politics here but I’d just like to ask how the hell do you think that made any of your fans there tonight who may be Jewish feel?

If you’re trying to appeal to the lefties, forget it as they haven’t and will never forgive you for the “Enoch was right” speech from the 1970’s.

If you’re trying to appeal to the Muslims forget it there aren’t any in your audience and besides, Music is Haram and they would execute you for playing.

Sad news from the doomed brand new Manc arena.

I felt Eric’s guitar play at tour opener Newcastle was quite inspired, his fingers full of dexterity for a 79 years old, if not on par with his best days in the past. And in terms of technical skills, still so much better than Keith, not only of these days but also at any points of his musical activities.

Doyle Bramhall II (not ‘Bramhill III’ as More Hot Rocks put in his post) is a unique guitar player but not on the same level as his boss IMHO.

If there is a disappointing element about the Manchester show, it is the setlist — some of the rarities played at the previous tour stops, e.g. Presence Of The Lord, You Were There, River Of Tears, were all dropped for some reason. Another obscurity, Holy Mother was added instead, but it was not enough to save the day.

I was at his previous Manchester show 2013 and that was fantastic, one of the best among the countless shows of his I have seen for the last 50 years. You can read my memoir of the night on this thread (p. 56).

And, no, Clapton is not a social/political commentator type by nature. When he steps into that realm, he often causes uncalled repercussions — take a look at the infamous support for Enoch Powell in Birmingham ‘76, more recently the vaccine skeptic/anti-lockdown controversy, and now this. He is too genuine a musician, an artist. He’s no Dylan or Springsteen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-19 06:35 by RisingStone.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 19, 2024 07:15

vertigojoe
What’s the difference between backwards and upside down? You’ve lost me there. Ok I should said he played a regular right handed guitar left handed. Many apologies.

He plays a left handed guitar because he is left handed but the guitar is strung the opposite way. With the low E where the high E would be. I believe he used to play a right handed guitar left handed but not restringing it the correct way like Hendrix would. He used to play the same way Coco Montoya does. But now he is using right handed guitars strung backwards. If you think that’s confusing Jeff Healy would play guitar on his lap but fret the guitar just by placing his hand on top of the neck and not by grabbing the neck. I’m assuming because his blindness was the reason he taught himself this way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-19 07:17 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: May 19, 2024 07:23

More Hot Rocks —

Er…his name is Bramhall II, not III.eye rolling smiley

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 19, 2024 16:23

vertigojoe
Dear Eric.

Maybe his plan is to p!ss off a different demographic every tour so he'll be forced into retirement for lack of an audience. smileys with beer

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: May 20, 2024 16:25

kovach
vertigojoe
Dear Eric.

Maybe his plan is to p!ss off a different demographic every tou, r so he'll be forced into retirement for lack of an audience. smileys with beer

It's obvious by now Eric doesn't try to appeal to any demographic, he walks his own line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-20 18:05 by keefriffhards.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: May 20, 2024 17:28

More Hot Rocks
vertigojoe

He plays a left handed guitar because he is left handed but the guitar is strung the opposite way. With the low E where the high E would be. I believe he used to play a right handed guitar left handed but not restringing it the correct way like Hendrix would. He used to play the same way Coco Montoya does. But now he is using right handed guitars strung backwards. If you think that’s confusing Jeff Healy would play guitar on his lap but fret the guitar just by placing his hand on top of the neck and not by grabbing the neck. I’m assuming because his blindness was the reason he taught himself this way.

But now he is using LEFT handed guitars strung backwards.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 20, 2024 19:00

RisingStone
More Hot Rocks —

Er…his name is Bramhall II, not III.eye rolling smiley

You made me curious, so I checked his website: quite an impressive discography, and I see he plays on so many LPs I have and love, including Me'Shell Ndegeocello's Bitter, I wonder which songs he plays on that one!

C

Date: May 24, 2024 11:46

Last night at the Royal Albert Hall, Thursday 23rd. The third night of EC’s four-day residency at the venue.

Great, great night.
EC played Golden Ring again after Tuesday, which was the first outing of this little hidden gem in his catalogue in 46 years (played only three times in 1978).
The surprise didn’t stop there. Dhani Harrison joined the encore, duetting Give Me Love with Eric, strumming acoustic guitar! He stayed on for the next number, Before You Accuse Me that was also joined by Andy Fairweather Low (as was at the previous show) and capped the truly amazing and memorable evening.

A concert for the ages. A night to remember.

[whereseric.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-24 14:39 by RisingStone.

Posted by: Milan ()
Date: May 24, 2024 18:31

Way cool, RisingStone.

Date: May 25, 2024 04:35

RAH fourth and final night. I was there, once again.

After the epic third night, this turned out to be a rather anticlimactic affair — sorry to say that, especially for those who shelled out for an expensive ticket.

Golden Ring dropped. And Dhani Harrison didn’t show again although it was predictable to some degree.

15 songs played for a length of 1 hr 35 mins as opposed to 17 songs, 1 hr 45 mins on the previous evening. Those who had attended the night before and returned to the venue tonight, like me, were quite disappointed for sure.

Overall, another typical “Eric going through the motions with some moments” show. He played the entire solo on Cocaine, showing his back against the capacity crowd that filled the world-famous venue to the rafters. A temperamental artist. But that’s Eric for you.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: May 28, 2024 19:27

I attended the Thursday & Friday RAH shows.

I thought EC's playing was inspired. He is in great shape and really seems to my ears to be playing better than he has in the last 6 or 7 years. In fact IMO he seems to have been working hard at his craft away from his scheduled mini tours.

Thursday's show was special. As RS mentioned Dhani Harrison joined on both encores Thursday night. Friday's show was 2 songs shorter.

While I thought Thursday was overall the better show, I did like EC's versions of Crossroads, GTGBIALW, & Queen of Spades better on Friday night.

I kinda got the feeling that EC was playing Cocaine on Friday on purpose just for those behind the stage in the rafters. They are often overlooked seats/fans so I thought perhaps he was throwing those folks a bone. I know Nathan East on Thursday repeatedly turned to those behind the stage as he payed - so it may have been a conscious effort by EC and Band for those folks. Nathan's son set in the row/seat right in front of us on Thursday.

I really like the opening song "Blue Dust."

Did anyone attending catch the dedication after "Tears in Heaven" on Friday? I thought EC said that one was for David (please I know the back story on the song). I was thinking David Sanborn? Which would stand to reason because in addition to the Legends shows/tour they did share the stage together various times through the years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-29 03:19 by 1cdog.

Date: May 29, 2024 14:13

1cdog —

I’m so glad you attended both Thursday and Friday nights like I did. On the “What is the next concert you have tickets for” thread, you posted that you were going to see the 24th (Friday). Did you make a last minute decision to add the 23rd as well?

If so, you made a right decision and your change of mind was rewarded with a memorable night. You would have been gutted so much to hear of how the evening went down on the 23rd if you had only attended the 24th — as you know, the Thursday show was truly special, one that will go down in EC’s live history.

His playing on Friday gave me an impression of “business as usual” on the whole if not totally uninspired or lackluster. As for GTGBIALW, Crossroads and LQOS, the numbers you liked better on Friday night, without checking any recordings or YouTube footage I felt both GTGBIALW and LQOS were tad shorter, e.g. Sonny Emory’s drum solo on the former, and less energetic than on Thursday.

Good point regarding the solo on Cocaine on Friday. It might be the reason. Hard to tell.

As you guessed, Eric dedicated Tears In Heaven to the late David Sanborn like he did on a few other nights on the tour.

Apart from Golden Ring and Give Me Love, both of which were not performed on Friday, the setlists of the 23rd and 24th are exactly the same. Had Golden Ring and Holy Mother been chosen to play instead of Driftin’ Blues and You Were There, respectively, like the following Paris shows, the disappointment I felt on Friday would have been less even if the setlist was shorter by two songs. Speaking of that, the setlists of both two Paris nights were also identical — again, that’s Eric for you.

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: May 30, 2024 15:57

Yeah the set lists during the tours for the last 24 years or so don't change much. That said EC still isn't using a teleprompter for the lyrics yet either smiling smiley

The plan was always to do both Thursday and Friday. I just had to be patient for the Thursday tickets.

I have always really liked Golden Ring. So happy to hear that on Thursday. Really loved "Blue Dust" both nights.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2024-05-30 17:33 by 1cdog.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4950515253545556575859
Current Page: 59 of 59

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1901
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home