Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6
Re: Guns 'n' Roses summer 2018 in Europe
Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: November 12, 2017 16:57

gotdablouse
Yeah there is some good stuff on CD, TWAT and Better come to mind. It's just that it was horribly bloated overall, how many friggin' credits were there for the songwriting!? The nadir of GnR has to be that 3D Blu-Ray with all these flashy guitar players though, unbelievably over the top.
Better is an awesome song. It's one of the few songs off CD that resonates with me.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: November 12, 2017 18:19

dcba
Hairball

Agree with all of this except for the Use Your Illusion albums which had only a handful of good tunes spread out over both of them with You Could Be Mine being the only tune that might be considered truly worthy. The covers of Knocking on Heavens Door and Live and Let Die - while maybe popular - were horrible.

Yeah they really shown what was wrong with this album : a clean lush sound! When I came home with one UYI CD I put it on the player and I thought : "wtf is this radio-friendly production??".
The dirty nasty sound of AFD was gone for good and it was a disatrous creative decision (worse imo than hiring the solid but boring Sorum).

They should have hired Steve Albini to mix the album... And ghess who they chose in the 1st place? Bob Clearmountain, the guy responsible for the (now very dated imo) "Tattoo You" sound.

Yeah Slash and Axl wanted a mainstream family-friendly sound for UYI. eye rolling smiley

The "radio friendly" production of the UYI albums were the result of Axl's over production work if you beleive Slash.

Slash has stated in a number of interviews that the initial raw recordings were more like the AFD production but then Axl got his hands on them and sucked the life out of them with over production.

If you ask Guns fans this is the same thing that happened with Chinese Democracy. Many fans seem to prefer the raw leaked early versions of the songs, before Axl started messing with them, to the final album.

I would love to hear a raw versions of the UYI albums but Slash claims he lost the original tapes when he left them in a taxi and even if there are safety copies I doubt Axl would ever allow them to be released.

Date: November 12, 2017 18:41

Knocking On Heavens Door and Live and Let Die were both rather interminable when I saw them last month.

I mean, they're FINE covers, but they don't deserve to be setlist staples. Live and Let Die is at least lively and was accompanied some cool pyro, but KOHD is a snoozefest, with an extended singalong outro that dragged.

Axl's epic ambitions have always made G'n'R feel more bloated and pretentious than it needed. They'll never be a lean, mean rock band again.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 12, 2017 19:44

keefriff99
Prednisone is a strong corticosteroid that causes facial bloating and weight gain as a side effect. That kind of looks like what happened to Axl.

He's also got well-known mental health issues, so if he's taking antidepressants, those also affect peoples' weight.

He seems to be on an even keel lately, so something is working right for him in his personal and professional life.

The late Jerry Lewis was taking prednisone...you can clearly see the effects in these before, during, and after pics:

Here's a story from 2003 when he was trying to ween himself off of them: Jerry Lewis is hospitalized for steroids

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: November 12, 2017 20:48

keefriff99
Knocking On Heavens Door and Live and Let Die were both rather interminable when I saw them last month.

I mean, they're FINE covers, but they don't deserve to be setlist staples. Live and Let Die is at least lively and was accompanied some cool pyro, but KOHD is a snoozefest, with an extended singalong outro that dragged.

Axl's epic ambitions have always made G'n'R feel more bloated and pretentious than it needed. They'll never be a lean, mean rock band again.

I have to take prednisone at times. Hate it. It's some nasty shit. Also, it messes with your blood sugar as a bonus.

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: November 13, 2017 00:00

Saw them in London in june and it's ok . Once was enough , good concert but nothing worth to be repeated for me

Date: November 13, 2017 00:22

Hairball
keefriff99
Prednisone is a strong corticosteroid that causes facial bloating and weight gain as a side effect. That kind of looks like what happened to Axl.

He's also got well-known mental health issues, so if he's taking antidepressants, those also affect peoples' weight.

He seems to be on an even keel lately, so something is working right for him in his personal and professional life.

The late Jerry Lewis was taking prednisone...you can clearly see the effects in these before, during, and after pics:

Here's a story from 2003 when he was trying to ween himself off of them: Jerry Lewis is hospitalized for steroids
I remember seeing those pics and being horrified. Not that Jerry is the most sympathetic guy, but no one should have to go through that.

I was on a short course of prednisone in my early 20s, and even at a low dose for a short duration, it caused me gain weight rapidly. Lots of crazy side effects.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: November 13, 2017 04:13

Chinese Democracy is one of my favourite albums period.

TWAT, Prostitute, IRS, Madagascar to highlight some.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: November 14, 2017 00:31

keefriff99

I agree its sad they are both forever staples. They do not need to be played every night. And if they have to be, Knockin should be played in its album version not the bloated 15 minute one. Live And Let Die, I'll admit, they murder live, mainly Axl. I don't love the studio version, but live, I get chills hearing Axl scream. Its one of the few he ALWAYS nails and its great to see him have that victory moment. I'd keep it in just for that.

Chinese IS a very good album. I've never considered it a Guns album. It is a far and away and Axl Rose solo album, which is FINE. I wish it was released that way and it would get better response. Its a great album. I always thought Chinese is a great, if not generic, rocker, so many other good ones like Prostitute, TWAT which are both excellent, Catcher In The Rye, Street Of Dreams (which I still know as The Blues), IRS is fantastic. I consider about 9 songs really good, with the other 5 or 6 being not so great, but everyone has their own list. But its not as bad as people say. Its just way overproduced and came out under the wrong name. The demos are indeed better, and its kinda hard to say why. They are very similar, and I remember hearing those demos for years thinking "just release these. They'll be better quality and they are good songs!" and somehow he still managed to kinda ruin them. It really is hard to say why the demo of IRS is just a bit better than the album version, but in the end I still consider it a fine album. But I do feel, and very strongly, that if you're playing Chinese Democracy songs you should be playing Velvet Revolver songs and all solo material is up for grabs (which I think is nice and fair the way the Eagles did it). Not to sound pushy, but I just don't think I'll ever be convinced otherwise about that. Its BS, but hey, this band has always screwed with their fans. I'm happy we at least have what we have now as I never thought even THIS would happen.

Posted by: rebelhipi ()
Date: November 14, 2017 00:54

RollingFreak
keefriff99

I agree its sad they are both forever staples. They do not need to be played every night. And if they have to be, Knockin should be played in its album version not the bloated 15 minute one. Live And Let Die, I'll admit, they murder live, mainly Axl. I don't love the studio version, but live, I get chills hearing Axl scream. Its one of the few he ALWAYS nails and its great to see him have that victory moment. I'd keep it in just for that.

Chinese IS a very good album. I've never considered it a Guns album. It is a far and away and Axl Rose solo album, which is FINE. I wish it was released that way and it would get better response. Its a great album. I always thought Chinese is a great, if not generic, rocker, so many other good ones like Prostitute, TWAT which are both excellent, Catcher In The Rye, Street Of Dreams (which I still know as The Blues), IRS is fantastic. I consider about 9 songs really good, with the other 5 or 6 being not so great, but everyone has their own list. But its not as bad as people say. Its just way overproduced and came out under the wrong name. The demos are indeed better, and its kinda hard to say why. They are very similar, and I remember hearing those demos for years thinking "just release these. They'll be better quality and they are good songs!" and somehow he still managed to kinda ruin them. It really is hard to say why the demo of IRS is just a bit better than the album version, but in the end I still consider it a fine album. But I do feel, and very strongly, that if you're playing Chinese Democracy songs you should be playing Velvet Revolver songs and all solo material is up for grabs (which I think is nice and fair the way the Eagles did it). Not to sound pushy, but I just don't think I'll ever be convinced otherwise about that. Its BS, but hey, this band has always screwed with their fans. I'm happy we at least have what we have now as I never thought even THIS would happen.
Theres 3 Demos of IRS that leaked i think.
One from 1999 with only one guitar solo (the first one of the final version played by Robin Finck which is badass)

One from 2006 with a different guitar solo (Buckethead one)
And one from 2007 which is the final version minus drums from Frank Ferrer and i think some licks from Bumblefoot missing.

I prefer the final version.it has both solos!

Date: June 5, 2018 00:31

Tour has started again. They sound absolutely horrible. Incannot believe what i am hearing. Reviews are extremely negative also.

Date: June 5, 2018 01:12

Are they playing Velvet Revolver-tunes now - Slither yesterday? confused smiley

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: June 5, 2018 01:20

I will see them at Donington this Saturday. Will be emotional as I was in the crush for the show at the same venue when the 2 kids died back in 87. Was lucky that's all. Nobody knew until they announced it through the PA as we were walking out at the end of the night. All we knew was how bad it had been at the time. I know they won't be a patch on the band that played that day with the original line up but I hope they acknowledge the tragedy and pay a little tribute to the two fans who died that day.

Date: June 5, 2018 02:26

PaintMonkeyManBlack
Tour has started again. They sound absolutely horrible. Incannot believe what i am hearing. Reviews are extremely negative also.
I read that Axl's voice is sounding not so good thus far on this European run.

Maybe this unbelievably massive world tour with 3+ hour sets, coupled with the double duty he pulled with AC/DC, is taking a toll on his vocal cords. He IS coming up on 60, hard as it is to believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-05 02:28 by keefriff99.

Date: June 5, 2018 02:27

DandelionPowderman
Are they playing Velvet Revolver-tunes now - Slither yesterday? confused smiley
Well, Slither for sure. Not sure if they'll go beyond that.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 5, 2018 11:27

keefriff99

Maybe this unbelievably massive world tour with 3+ hour sets, coupled with the double duty he pulled with AC/DC, is taking a toll on his vocal cords.

The fact that Axl's voice is half-shot could mean he used it a lot during the sessions for the new ACDC album (which took place in April/May?)! smileys with beer

Posted by: andrea66 ()
Date: June 5, 2018 13:24

I went to see them last year, just regular in my opinion .
once is enough for me

Date: June 5, 2018 15:31

dcba
keefriff99

Maybe this unbelievably massive world tour with 3+ hour sets, coupled with the double duty he pulled with AC/DC, is taking a toll on his vocal cords.

The fact that Axl's voice is half-shot could mean he used it a lot during the sessions for the new ACDC album (which took place in April/May?)! smileys with beer
Ah, I didn't know that. I can't say I'm super excited for that project, but I'll give it a shot. Anything Angus does can't be all bad.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 5, 2018 17:03

I watched them 3 times last year and they were good but when I watched them in Berlin 2 days ago they sounded horrible,I hope they can improve throughout this years shows.

Nate

Posted by: Gerry ()
Date: June 5, 2018 17:15

I saw them also twice last year. IMHO I can't say anything negative about the shows. The sound were almost clear and the voice from Axl sounded great.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 5, 2018 17:25

dcba

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullll shiiiitt

Date: June 5, 2018 17:29

axls voice is usually rough at the start of a tour

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: June 5, 2018 17:31

For sure.

andy js
dcba

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 5, 2018 18:37

andy js
dcba

I know you don't like the idea but you'd accept it. ANd by "sessions" I mean trying riffs with Angus and the boys and screaming out rough vocal lines.
Anyway an AXL/DC studio album will happen. Both parts want it and the world tour thta'll come with will be juicy.

Date: June 5, 2018 19:17

My objection is just about the planning
Yes there will be an album with Axl.
Your source ? Sessions in LA ?

dcba
andy js
dcba

I know you don't like the idea but you'd accept it. ANd by "sessions" I mean trying riffs with Angus and the boys and screaming out rough vocal lines.
Anyway an AXL/DC studio album will happen. Both parts want it and the world tour thta'll come with will be juicy.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 6, 2018 22:02

dcba

Oh i've no doubt it will happen, but i'm 99.9% sure nothing has yet.

Angus has lost all his dignity so the clusterfuck will continue i'm resigned to that.

It wont be AC/DC to me or anyone else though i'm sure

It's like Mick touring as the Rolling Stones. But probably worse than even that

Date: June 6, 2018 22:08

Seriously, dcba...where did you get your information from? Otherwise you shouldn't be spreading it as anything other than a rumor.

Date: June 6, 2018 22:11

Angus Cliff Stevie Phil and Axl will match.
Just a dream...

Date: June 6, 2018 22:14

powerage78
Angus Cliff Stevie Phil and Axl will match.
Just a dream...
I would enjoy that, but I don't see Phil and Cliff returning.

I think Phil has permanently burned his bridge, and Cliff seems like a no bullshit guy who wouldn't go about reneging on his retirement announcement.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: June 7, 2018 02:03

keefriff99
Seriously, dcba...where did you get your information from? Otherwise you shouldn't be spreading it as anything other than a rumor.

Found this on Google:

[tonedeaf.com.au]

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 2 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 3062
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home